• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT3| Geo Da Silva > nails on chalkboard > Taylor Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majmun

Definitely true when it comes to Rihanna's appeal. Her music is accepted by everyone.

Rihanna has a huge gay following, but her music isn't getting associated with gay culture etc, unlike Lady Gaga's and Perra's music.

Bladenic

Definitely true when it comes to Rihanna's appeal. Her music is accepted by everyone.

Rihanna has a huge gay following, but her music isn't getting associated with gay culture etc, unlike Lady Gaga's and Perra's music.

Since when is Perry's music associated with gay culture?

Aguila

#ICONIC
Ok, so I'm streaming Spotify at work and this song by Bobby Womack and Lana Del Rey just came on.

WUT is this?

WHY is it slaying me???

Bobby Womack wants to do a full album with Lana
ec20fb7f.gif

Let me count the ways the Lotus debut has been botched by RCA (and Xtina, I guess.)

1. Not putting the Lotus snippets up until after the album released.

2. Having 3 versions of Lotus on itunes, 2 of those copies being exactly the same... splitting the sales.

3. No itunes banner until after the release.

4. Xtina is going to perform "Make The World Move" on The Voice tonight, yet "Just A Fool" is currently slaying on iTunes.

I understand she doesn't care about sales, but it seems like she is trying to sabotage herself.

This must be a test of my faith.
tnDnW.gif

Gurl, Paradise has had ZERO promo in the US and it's doing better than Lotus which has had a bit of promo.
I'm confused.
tnDnW.gif

royalan

Make The Workd Move has been announced as the official second single. I can't.

This is the era of obviously stupid decisions.

Bladenic

Rih has actually built her lead on #2 on iTunes since she's overthrown the recent champion at the top. PSY and 1D can battle for #2 but #1 is #DIAMONDS'. The others can try tho. The Rih reign is stronger than ever, and wont ever let up.

Lets wait until the album releases and the follow up singles shall we?

Gurl, Paradise has had ZERO promo in the US and it's doing better than Lotus which has had a bit of promo.
I'm confused.
tnDnW.gif

Yeah, an entire show that gets 10+ million views a couple nights a week is more than "a bit". We all know the show exists to sell its judges....not its contestants. Sad thing is....its failing at both.

Artemisia

Banned
Rih has actually built her lead on #2 on iTunes since she's overthrown the recent champion at the top. PSY and 1D can battle for #2 but #1 is #DIAMONDS'. The others can try tho. The Rih reign is stronger than ever, and wont ever let up.

Diamonds was discounted on Amazon, and idk how relavent Amazon sales are, but that should help too.

Kyon

Banned
Oh I'm not making a personal statement here.

It just dawned on me that Rihanna has much more cross-over appeal to the "outsiders", the ones who wouldn't visit popgaf. I first took notice when on parties with really, wel, boring and monotone music, suddenly a remix of a Rihanna song is swooped in for variety. The day that happens to a Gaga song still has to occur.

With the Fame, The Fame Monster I would disagree but after BTW she has separated herself from mainstream. I'm not a fan of BTW and I hop she goes back to her roots.

When she had songs like Poker Face and Bad Romance every bitch in the game was POPPING and BOPPING to those songs.

When BTW came out its like the only ppl supporting her were her little monsters.
I'm not saying she should go back to The fame as much as I want her to but at least make FUN POP music again. I'm tired of the GAY ANTHEMS and songs about ACCEPTANCE and BULLYING/EQUALITY.

I want a wig THRASHING song that has super out there lyrics like Bad Romance. Ain't nobody knew WTF Bad Romance was about and that's ok because the song and video shits on a lot of MV in this decade. She needs to stop being SERIOUS and just have fun again. By now I hope she knows that we GET that she is an activist and she loves her gays.

This was more or less my problem with BTW

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Speaking of gay pandering

Die Young' songstress Ke$ha has confirmed that her new album, 'Warrior', was partly inspired by the LGBT community and she wanted to reflect their struggle with the music.

Speaking to The Sun newspaper in Britain, she explained that a lot of her fans are gay or bisexual and often tell her about their experiences so she wanted to express what they go through and support them by writing about "love and acceptance":

"Something I kept hearing about was bullying and sexuality. I have a lot of gay and lesbian fans and they said how my music had helped them deal with bullying, so I wanted to write a record that’s about love and acceptance."

"I wanted to inspire people. It’s a celebration of any sort of quirks or eccentricities."

http://www.pressparty.com/pg/newsdesk/kesha/view/61568/

ibb2H8IErAEVE3.gif

Kyon

Banned
Ch....

Animal was the the ANTHEM I chose over BTW. Is that weird? I always preferred it. It's like a trippy dance kind of song. Really euphoric

Bladenic

Ch....

Animal was the the ANTHEM I chose over BTW. Is that weird? I always preferred it. It's like a trippy dance kind of song. Really euphoric

Animal was such a great song. I hope there are more like it on Warrior. And I'm not surprised about what she said. As soon as the title was announced, I thought "I'm sure it's gonna have stuff about gay power etc".

Some random thoughts:

I always thought that Lady Gaga was the biggest pop sensation of the last 5 years. She's such an phenomena, had sold so many albums/singles, has been in the media all the time, is probably really well recognized even under older people ("that crazy costume woman", ...), has been dubbed the successor to Madonna, and she's pretty much the current queen of the gay community.

....However... I recently noticed that Rihanna might actually take the crown as far as the biggest pop sensation of the last 5 years goes. It dawned on me that when I'm out partying, but not in a gay or pop-music setting, Rihanna is the only pop artist that will get played. Even on non-popmusic parties (funk, house, disco, dubstep, rock, ...) the dj might actually slip in a(n altered) version of a Rihanna song. Most of the times it's Rude Boy, Man Down or We Found Love. Also, if I think of my friends who don't like pop music, I can't think of anyone who'd like a Lady Gaga song. But I know of at least 4 friends who have said on occassion that they like "that Rihanna song that's playing now", even when they otherwise exclusively listen to heavy metal, or dubstep, or whatever.

Conclusion: I though that Lady Gaga was the biggest pop sensation in the past 5 years. And she might still be the biggest sensation. But pop-musically speaking, Rihanna seems bigger and attracting a wider audience.

tumblr_mdgbc3tpEY1rkbdgqo1_500.jpg

Rihanna is the true QUEEN of this POP MUSIC ish. Gaga is at best a court jester.

ibnKr88VP25KP.gif

Anyone "normal" who cared a lick about Gaga in the Just Dance / Bad Romance era was put off by that Born That Way mess. Gaga started feeling herself too soon and believed her own press too quick. I'll say, as an unbiased observer, that ARTPOP will be her make or break moment. I don't see her gaining popularity in the US by trotting out the same old same old for another era. People are over the silly outfits.

ibf334UoMN6hij.gif

But que sera sera, Queen Rih will continue to effortlessly slay these heaux. And everyone can still stay mad about it and have several seats.

botty

Banned
I love Make the World Move. But I dunno if it should become a single....

It's one of the worst songs on the album. There is literally nothing special about it, and everything about it is kinda cheap.

I guess it could smash in Obama's America, but I just don't see it happening. This is such a huge mistake by Xtina, and I am just struggling to understand why.

ibimPuKkAQf7V2.gif

Artemisia

Banned
Rihanna is the true QUEEN of this POP MUSIC ish. Gaga is at best a court jester.

Anyone "normal" who cared a lick about Gaga in the Just Dance / Bad Romance era was put off by that Born That Way mess. But que sera sera, Queen Rih will continue to effortlessly slay these heaux. And everyone can still stay mad about it and have several seats.

so what you're saying is that Rihanna slays because she is safe, and gaga slays because she has a devoted fanbase.

iNNM5i6A33dvi.gif

awesome.

Bladenic

Well, here I go. Listening to Lotus Deluxe on Spotify, then Paradise.

Also, Roy and Botty, Spotify has commentary for every single track by Xtina herself. Dunno if it's stuff she's said before, but it's a cool addition. I'll probably check it out later because the commentary is between every track but I just wanna listen right now.

Ties

Banned
so what you're saying is that Rihanna slays because she is safe.

awesome.
Ya'll crazy as hell if you think Gaga wasn't keeping it safe during the Born This Way era production wise.

There's nothing revolutionary about that album. The problem with the Born This Way era is that it is littered with self-indulgent faux gay anthems and the occasional midtempo track filled with overbearing synths that add relatively nothing to the production of the track. There is no cohesion to it as a whole, and I feel like Born This Way was more of an experimental release rather than a full scale album because the sound is all over the place.
legendtinax5lts.gif

botty

Banned
Well, here I go. Listening to Lotus Deluxe on Spotify, then Paradise.

Also, Roy and Botty, Spotify has commentary for every single track by Xtina herself. Dunno if it's stuff she's said before, but it's a cool addition. I'll probably check it out later because the commentary is between every track but I just wanna listen right now.

I don't have spotify, does it say anything interesting?

Bladenic

Ya'll crazy as hell if you think Gaga wasn't keeping it safe during the Born This Way era production wise.

There's nothing revolutionary about that album. The problem with the Born This Way era is that it is littered with self-indulgent faux gay anthems and the occasional midtempo track filled with overbearing synths. There is no cohesion to it as a whole, and I feel like Born This Way was more of an experimental release rather than a full scale album because the sound is all over the place.
legendtinax5lts.gif

Wise beyond your years.

I don't have spotify, does it say anything interesting?

Idk yet, they're all about 1 minute to 1:30 of her just talking about the track.

royalan

It's one of the worst songs on the album. There is literally nothing special about it, and everything about it is kinda cheap.

I guess it could smash in Obama's America, but I just don't see it happening. This is such a huge mistake by Xtina, and I am just struggling to understand why.

ibimPuKkAQf7V2.gif

I agree. Nothing about MTWM is hit potential. How you can ignore how Just A Fool is smashing on buzz alone in favor of MTWM is beyond me.

I'm actually starting to worry about her. Nothing she has done this era makes sense. NOTHING. And she looked borderline unhinged performing tonight.

so what you're saying is that Rihanna slays because she is safe.

awesome.

Neaux. Rihanna releases better music than Gaga. IMO, of course. Every time someone drags 1D or their ilk it's all "Pop's supposed to be fun!" or "Quit taking it so seriously." Does this not apply to Rihanna? Is Rihanna lowering pops standards by slaying so often? Or does she make your faves look like flops because she does it effortlessly? Is Gaga better than she is because Gaga "writes" her music? The answer to that for me is NO, because Gaga releases HOT GARBAGE (IMO). Maybe is someone wrote a song or two she wouldn't have to spend so many drunken, drug hazed nights pandering to the queens and cutters of the world. IDK. Either pop music is fun, or we become like the OT and drag ppl who don't write their own music. You cannot have it both ways.

Nevertheless, Rih will show up at the studio, sing someone's song, and slay the charts, and be flawless as per. And after all this time would you expect anything else?

You're always feeling some kinda way about everything. Are you ok hun?

ibgZOUAumr7Yez.gif

Bladenic

On Make the World Move. Speechless at this being the next single, Red Hot and Army of Me were WAY better. RIP Christina. And CeeLo is so unecessary here, he doesn't even do anything.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Neaux. Rihanna releases better music than Gaga. IMO, of course. Every time someone drags 1D or their ilk it's all "Pop's supposed to be fun!" or "Quit taking it so seriously." Does this not apply to Rihanna? Is Rihanna lowering pops standards by slaying so often? Or does she make your faves look like flops because she does it effortlessly? Is Gaga better than she is because Gaga "writes" her music? The answer to that for me is NO, because Gaga releases HOT GARBAGE (IMO). Maybe is someone wrote a song or two she wouldn't have to spend so many drunken, drug hazed nights pandering to the queens and cutters of the world. IDK. Either pop music is fun, or we become like the OT and drag ppl who don't write their own music. You cannot have it both ways.

Nevertheless, Rih will show up at the studio, sing someone's song, and slay the charts, and be flawless as per. And after all this time would you expect anything else?

You're always feeling some kinda way about everything. Are you ok hun?

Agreed
aside from the Gaga sutff y'now

2rxGC.gif

Artemisia

Banned

There's nothing revolutionary about that album. The problem with the Born This Way era is that it is littered with self-indulgent faux gay anthems and the occasional midtempo track filled with overbearing synths that add relatively nothing to the production of the track. There is no cohesion to it as a whole, and I feel like Born This Way was more of an experimental release rather than a full scale album because the sound is all over the place.
legendtinax5lts.gif

So first you get off saying that she was keeping Born This Way safe, and close by saying that it was an experimental release? Interesting.

That contradiction aside, well of course Born This Way wasn't revolutionary musically in the grand scheme of things. She isn't Bjork.

But when we shift our focus to mainstream pop, that argument doesn't fly. Gaga does have some unique ideas and does not toss them because of them being 'too strange' No other pop artist would even DREAM about putting german sounding gibberish hook on their song. No other pop girl would write a song like Judas, let alone release it as a single. No other pop girl would have an intro to a song like the intro to Government Hooker.

Fact is, Gaga was creatively invested into her work and wanted to keep things interesting. Nothing was safe about it commercially.

So first you get off saying that she wasn't keeping it safe, and close by saying that it was an experimental release? Interesting.

That contradiction aside, well of course Born This Way wasn't revolutionary musically in the grand scheme of things. She isn't Bjork.

But when we shift our focus to mainstream pop, that argument doesn't fly. Gaga does have some unique ideas and does not toss them because of them being 'too strange' No other pop artist would even DREAM about putting german sounding gibberish hook on their song. No other pop girl would write a song like Judas, let alone release it as a single. No other pop girl would have an intro to a song like the intro to Government Hooker.

Fact is, Gaga was creatively invested into her work and wanted to keep things interesting. Nothing was safe about it commercially.

Couldn't agree more.

ibegqQUTbgslWh.gif

Gaga is amazing. Maybe not a revolutionary.....but at least she has artistic integrity.

Artemisia

Banned
Where did we get the idea that I hate gaga.

iX7AUHJWq8PST.gif

It's not that so much as you regarding her success as SO REMARKABLE and call her the QUEEN OF POP when the only reason she has that success is because she's safe as fuck.

Her slaying with music tailored for the hot 100, to me, isn't anything special, but expected.

Ties

Banned
So first you get off saying that she wasn't keeping it safe, and close by saying that it was an experimental release? Interesting.
An experimental release in the music industry is a release that dabbles in a myriad of genres that often are underdeveloped, overproduced, or unfitting for an album release because there is no common ground that all the tracks stand on sonically.
See: Born This Way
We know.

So because Gaga is placing religious imagery in her albums, that her puts her well above the other pop girls? Judas has the same basic lyrical content that mainstream music is battered with on a constant basis. It deals with a broken relationship with an abusive man and how the poor gal can't seem to break away because she's drawn to him on an emotional level.
No Rih shade pls
The only thing remotely creative about it is the analogy .The gibberish in Scheisse doesn't really add anything to the track other than being filler verses until the glorious chorus and actual verses come into the track. Scheisse could fully function without that gibberish, it's not even a highlight in the song itself. And this brings me back to this quote:
Gaga does have some unique ideas and does not toss them because of them being 'too strange'
Gaga has unique ideas but doesn't execute them in ways that are particularly innovative, she just throws what ever underdeveloped concept she has and hopes it sticks.
legendtinax5lts.gif

Edge of Glory, Marry The Night, Born This Way, Scheisse, You and I, Hair, Bad Kids, Heavy Metal Lover, and hell even Electric Chapel could have resonated with the general public had it been paired with a decent promo campaign.
legendtinax5lts.gif

Artemisia

Banned
An experimental release in the music industry is a release that dabbles in a myriad of genres that often are underdeveloped, overproduced, or unfitting for an album release because there is no common ground that all the tracks stand on sonically.
See: Born This Way
We know.

So because Gaga is placing religious imagery in her albums, that her puts her well above the other pop girls? Judas has the same basic lyrical content that mainstream music is battered with on a constant basis. It deals with a broken relationship with an abusive man and how the poor gal can't seem to break away because she's drawn to him on an emotional level.
No Rih shade pls
The only thing remotely creative about it is the analogy .The gibberish in Scheisse doesn't really add anything to the track other than being filler verses until the glorious chorus and actual verses come into the track. Scheisse could fully function without that gibberish, it's not even a highlight in the song itself. And this brings me back to this quote: Gaga has unique ideas but doesn't execute them in ways that are particularly innovative, she just throws what ever underdeveloped concept she has and hopes it sticks.
legendtinax5lts.gif

Edge of Glory, Marry The Night, Born This Way, Scheisse, You and I, Hair, Bad Kids, Heavy Metal Lover, and hell even Electric Chapel could have resonated with the general public had it been paired with a decent promo campaign.
legendtinax5lts.gif

Your commentary on the quality and execution of her ideas is irrelevant. The point is that they ARE different, sometimes completely strange, and not safe commercially.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom