• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT3| Geo Da Silva > nails on chalkboard > Taylor Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not asking anymore. Stop spamming.
Mumei laying DOWN THE LAW.

A much needed intervention

50JMa.gif

The Kelly stanning that happened the other day inspired me to go back and listen to the best pop album of the last decade.

ugLLX.png

An almost immaculate album. I honestly try my best to eliminate stan bias in my ratings (look at my All I Ever Wanted ratings for proof, tbh) but Breakaway is just too damn good. I hope she delivers something as perfect as Breakaway at some point, but it is an admittedly tough act to follow.

That album was such a monster. Felt like they could throw out ANY track and it would automatically smash. People here forget but during that era Kelly WAS pop music. Time magazine even hailed her for "stealing pop musics crown". Its hard to ever live up to expectations after such an iconic album. The tracks are timeless.....Breakaway and Because of You still give me chills.

Its funny to look back at her then. Recently watched a SUBG performance from that era and you could tell how hard she was trying to be a rockstar.

I am not sure if she can ever replicate that but still...what an amazing time for her. I am optimistic. I really do believe that People Like Us will smash and leave her set up well for a new album (hopefully) next year.

(I love you You Found Me :(......Though it would have been a better track with less background and more vocally driven.)

That album was such a monster. Felt like they could throw out ANY track and it would automatically smash. People here forget but during that era Kelly WAS pop music. Time magazine even hailed her for "stealing pop musics crown". Its hard to ever live up to expectations after such an iconic album.

Its funny to look back at her then. Recently watched a SUBG performance from that era and you could tell how hard she was trying to be a rockstar.

I am not sure if she can ever replicate that but still...what an amazing time for her. I am optimistic. I really do believe that People Like Us will smash and leave her set up well for a new album (hopefully) next year.
Yeah, the album doesn't get much love compared to Blackout/Fame Monster/Confessions/Futuresex around here, but I guess POPGAF is mostly a dance-pop-centric thing. That said, Breakaway will stand the test of time much longer than any of those albums; it's just the nature of the beast.
iZLOBpqYcLOCw.gif

royalan

Breakaway is easily Kelly's biggest album. She was ligit slaying the US back then.

STILL. Her debut will always be my favorite. Soul-Kelly forever.

Yeah, the album doesn't get much love compared to Blackout/Fame Monster/Confessions/Futuresex around here, but I guess POPGAF is mostly a dance-pop-centric thing. That said, Breakaway will stand the test of time much longer than any of those albums; it's just the nature of the beast.
iZLOBpqYcLOCw.gif

Part of it was at the time (post Britney killing pop music
I kid
....aka the dark ages) it was almost impossible for pop songs to chart on the hot 100. Even though 2 of her songs are in the top 15 most played pop songs of all time no one gives them their cred because they never hit #1. In reality getting as high as they did during that era was a HUGE achievement. Take what they did then, transport it to todays charts, and she would have had 3/4 #1's from that album alone.

...but people like titles, and #2 for SUBG isn't impressive despite the fact that its higher on the all time pop airplay list than ANY Xtina, Britney, Beyonce, etc song. I believe it was also the first pop song to ever break the million digital sales barrier back when itunes was new.

What can you do though?

(Am I still a bit bitter? Possibly)

Zutroy

The Kelly stanning that happened the other day inspired me to go back and listen to the best pop album of the last decade.

ugLLX.png

An almost immaculate album. I honestly try my best to eliminate stan bias in my ratings (look at my All I Ever Wanted ratings for proof, tbh) but Breakaway is just too damn good. I hope she delivers something as perfect as Breakaway at some point, but it is an admittedly tough act to follow.

tumblr_lmk67yFtva1qba256.gif

I noticed that recently all I seem to do is listen to a handful of new songs over and over, so I decided last week that I was going to go through my entire album collection alphabetically. I'm currently at B (Lionel Richie - Back to Front) but won't be long until Breakaway again! I did just check now though and it seems like I have a tone of albums that start with B.

Also related, I finished ...Baby One More Time yesterday, and I do not ever remember hearing the two minutes of advertising she did for the Backstreet Boys at the end of Beat Goes On. Such a strange thing to have on an album. The first half of that album is such good pop!

royalan

All those broke minus links
icqUXFZGviN4w.gif

BTW

Lotus is getting pretty harsh reviews

http://www.metacritic.com/music/lotus/christina-aguilera/critic-reviews

bah, those reviews aren't harsh.

There are tons of good reviews out there, but I guess since they don't measure up to the high journalistic standards of the glorious 2-and-a-half paragraphs written by Entertainment Weekly, they don't count. There's also that annoying Metacritic habit of assigning scores to reviews that don't give a score (like the Boston Globe review, which is MOSTLY positive in its text but is only counted as a 60).

But the most annoying thing about these reviews is that SEVERAL of them penalize Christina for using autotune in the Lotus intro. What kind of total bullshit...?

If we were talking about a Britney or Ke$ha album here, NOBODY would be talking about the autotune. It would be considered a fact of life for those artists and redundant to even bring up.

But, because Xtina is an actual singer, she's apparently barred from ever using autotune, even as a creative tool (which is obviously the point in the Lotus Intro. It's SUPPOSED to sound robotic and trancy).

Man, fuck reviews.

bah, those reviews aren't harsh.

There are tons of good reviews out there, but I guess since they don't measure up to the high journalistic standards of the glorious 2-and-a-half paragraphs written by Entertainment Weekly, they don't count. There's also that annoying Metacritic habit of assigning scores to reviews that don't give a score (like the Boston Globe review, which is MOSTLY positive in its text but is only counted as a 60).

But the most annoying thing about these reviews is that SEVERAL of them penalize Christina for using autotune in the Lotus intro. What kind of total bullshit...?

If we were talking about a Britney or Ke$ha album here, NOBODY would be talking about the autotune. It would be considered a fact of life for those artists and redundant to even bring up.

But, because Xtina is an actual singer, she's apparently barred from ever using autotune, even as a creative tool (which is obviously the point in the Lotus Intro. It's SUPPOSED to sound robotic and trancy).

Man, fuck reviews.

Yeah, I hate when reviews miss the mark with details that aren't really a big of a deal. "Using Autotune"? She used synthesizers in the intro coz it's a trance song; other than that not really. People went in expecting ballads everywhere so that's probably where that complaint came from. The same way people blasted Born This Way for not having songs as catchy as The Fame because they were looking for that from her. Expectations errywhurrr.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Christina Aguilera to perform Let There Be Love & Army Of Me

Her next television appearance will be Nov. 18 at the American Music Awards and she promises a completely different presentation.

"There are so many different textures on (her new album) 'Lotus' that there's not one song that represents it," she says. "Every song is different in mood so for the AMAs, I'll do a medley of 'Lotus' tunes -- 'Army of Me,' 'Let There Be Love' (and others)."

royalan

ummmmmm...I like LTBL as well and JAF is not a favorite of mine.

But let's be real clock the tea and call a spade a damn spade. Lotus needs a hit. ANY hit'll do. Just to put the album on the right path. JAF is her best chance for that to happen.

If "Just a Fool" is not made a single it'll be the biggest mistake of Christina's career.

botty

Banned
Just a Fool needs to be the second single.. it is smashing on itunes. It's like #14 or something.

Then Let There Be Love... and then Cease Fire.

402739116.jpg

Mau ®

Hot 100:

1. One More Night | Maroon 5 (9 fucking weeks )
2. Diamonds | Rihanna
3. Die Young | Ke$ha
4. Some Nights | fun.
5. Gangnam Style | PSY
6. Locked Out of Heaven | Bruno Mars
7. We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together | Taylor Swift
8. Let Me Love You | Ne-Yo
9. Too Close | Alex Clare
10. I Cry | Flo Rida

Next week's battle for #1 is between Maroon 5 and Rihanna.

royalan

Just a Fool needs to be the second single.. it is smashing on itunes. It's like #14 or something.

Then Let There Be Love... and then Cease Fire.

402739116.jpg

Exactly.

It's not even "Stan Delusional" smashing. It is LEGITIMATELY doing well on iTunes for an ALBUM track that has not received an ounce of promo or attention from Xtina or RCA. At the rate it's going it'll be in the Top 10 by tonight. That's crazy.

Just A Fool NEEDS to be the next single.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
It looks like PSY is finally done, his decline has begun

RED is also #1 again selling 196k copies
U.S. sales now stand at 1.75 million.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom