• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT3| Geo Da Silva > nails on chalkboard > Taylor Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Still selling after a flop album, and horrible promotion from RCA.

#Legend
#iconic

When will your faves?

legendtinahpkcg.gif
iA12BKXMoLi8G.gif

botty

Banned
Bionic opened with 110k copies and peaked at #3

FYI
iblAv8IfMG8xjC.gif

Bionics numbers aren't impressive considering the amount of promo it had compared to Lotus which still thrived despite being completely botched prior to release.

The fact that Lotus managed to sell above Carly Rae Jepson's album (who had a #1 single on the charts for months) is telling of her impact, and legend status.

ibaWzAYn12ICUD.gif

Majmun

But seriously, I feel bad for Xtina if this becomes true. Debuting with less than 100k is disastrous for a comeback. Lotus deserves better.

Hell, even an artist who's considered a flop in the NA (Lana) is selling almost as much with a re-release...

This is bad.

DMeisterJ

Banned
#DIAMONDS #1 next week is looking soooo good. OMN is skyFree falling on iTunes, and it's finally decreasing on Radio. All Rih needs to do is keep the lead on iTunes on OMN and increase on radio and it's a lock. But it will probably be a short reign. Ke$ha has been clocking pretty nice update, as has Bruno, but Rih has a pretty nice lead on them both on iTunes, and she's still ahead on Radio. A week or two of Diamonds at the top before it's toppled by one of those two.

#OPERATION12THNUMBERONE
#SHINEBRIGHTBITCH

royalan

Time to go into Spin Mode.

Pathetic numbers, but Botty's right. There are a few important things to take away from this.

-Outside of One Dimension being a cultural hit, nobody is predicted to debut with more than 100k this week. 80k is abysmal, but it's on track with the numbers everyone else is pulling this week. In that sense she's among the pack, and not trailing.

-Surely RCA realizes that this was achieved with little to no effort on their part. Lotus has had NO promo until this week. It is LITERALLY hanging on by Christina's name alone. This is unlike Bionic, which flopped despite having several high profile and expensive events scheduled that cost RCA. RCA has likely not spent much, if any, money here yet.

-Unlike Bionic, and unlike a lot of the albums on that chart, Lotus has a very obvious HIT on the horizon. The potential in JAF is undeniable, and at this point the only thing that would keep it from smashing is Xtina not releasing it as a single.

So, if the plan is to play the long game here, now is the time for RCA to start. I'm biting nails though, RCA has proven capable of remarkable levels of Stupid with Xtina before.

SaintZ

RiRi is coming to Mexico City?! Dammit. I don't know exactly where Plaza Condesa is but it seems to be close to my apartment. I doubt I'm gonna be able to go and see what's going on tho.

Also, Lana selling close to Xtina... LOL. Xtina should be doing better thanks to The Voice tbh. AI did wonders for JLo's career, after all.

Bladenic

RiRi is coming to Mexico City?! Dammit. I don't know exactly where Plaza Condesa is but it seems to be close to my apartment. I doubt I'm gonna be able to go and see what's going on tho.

Also, Lana selling close to Xtina... LOL. Xtina should be doing better thanks to The Voice tbh. AI did wonders for JLo's career, after all.

No it didn't, her album was a mega flop sales wise still. All she had was a hit single.

I wonder if Lana will ever manage to become a bigger act in America? Guess she better start being even more patriotic.

Koodo

Banned
Other debut weeks, courtesy of ATRL:

Kelly Rowland - Here I Am - 77K
Selena Gomez - When The Sun Goes Down - 78k
Ciara - Fantasy Ride - 81K
Jennifer Lopez - Love? - 83k
Ashanti - The Declaration - 86K
Demi Lovato - Unbroken - 96K
Keri Hilson - No Boys Allowed - 102K

iPmXH6qJILTiz.gif

royalan

LOL - it would take more delusion than I just used to spin those numbers to believe that NBC would permanently give Xtina's spot to Shakira of all people.

Christina really pissed me off after last night. She's not only proven to me how LAZY she's become as a musician but just how LITTLE she respects her own legacy. I knew that her live performances as of late have been showcases in self-parody but last night's performance really amplified that point.

Forcing your glottal voice out on a mid-octave verse is fucking heinous, first off. Secondly, GRUNTING over your song (the catchiest part of the song, I may add) while it's playing as if people have HEARD it already doesn't do much in trying to SELL the song itself. The entire bridge was sung by her like this:

"HEEEEYY-YAAAA, Errbody! Love somebody!!! Anybody!!! HEEEEEYY-YAAAA" *screech*

Anybody that hasn't heard that song before would have probably thought she was adlibbing over an instrumental. I don't know WHY she insists on INTRODUCING songs to the world by treating them like remixes, and to add to it, she walks around raising her arm in the air like a drunk sorority girl at karaoke - never a choreographed moment or any kind of motive on her part to put on a concise, organized show. It's just some walking, a growl, raised arm again, a "HAH" and "SAY" thrown in for good measure, and then spouting off lyrics as spoken words ("Heyy! Ever love somebody??").

It reminds me of Whitney in the last half-decade of her career (and life) where she felt self-actualized just by SHOWING UP on stage. She knew that she had to just shimmy around a bit and cash out and she'll be good. That's the vibe I get from Christina right now and it's an extra sour feeling because she's in NO place to be cashing out. Part 2 of her career hasn't even started yet because she's delayed it all this time and right when she makes a legitimately GREAT pop album she treats it like some niche side project. Shameful.

It makes everything all the MORE frustrating when she's been given the greatest marketing outlet in American television to ride the hype circuit, but she's not willing to do much more than what she's already done. I don't know if it's a case of inflated ego, pure apathy, delusion, or plain stupidity. Regardless of what it is, it's just baffling that she's been given such a powerful platform to drive sales but insists on taking the (really) easy way out and planting her ass on the swivel chair almost all of the time. Was she not around when her DUET with Adam Levine got him a number 1 hit? That was absolutely due to its promotion on the show, and to think that she could have had that through the several VERY marketable songs on Lotus, it's the epitome of a wasted opportunity.

Lotus is my favorite Christina Aguilera album and the paltry number of fucks she seems to give about it or her place in pop is a real disgrace.

You's on notice, bitch.

SaintZ

No it didn't, her album was a mega flop sales wise still. All she had was a hit single.
Didn't both On The Floor and Dance Again were hits tho? AI gave her enough exposure and she knew how to take advantage of that unlike Xtina with The Voice, that was my main point.

Also not Keri Hilson selling more than the other ones D:

botty

Banned
Christina really pissed me off after last night. She's not only proved to me how LAZY she's become as a musician but just how LITTLE she respects her own legacy. I knew that her live performances as of late have been showcases in self-parody but last night's performance really amplified that point.

Forcing your glottal voice out on a mid-octave verse is fucking heinous, first off. Secondly, GRUNTING over your song (the catchiest part of the song, I may add) while it's playing as if people have HEARD it already doesn't do much in trying to SELL the song itself. The entire bridge was sung by her like this:

Anybody that hasn't heard that song before would have probably thought she was adlibbing over an instrumental. I don't know WHY she insists on INTRODUCING songs to the world by treating them like remixes, and to add to it, she walks around raising her arm in the air like a drunk sorority girl at karaoke - never a choreographed moment or any kind of motive on her part to put on a concise, organized show. It's just some walking, a growl, raised arm again, a "HAH" and "SAY" thrown in for good measure, and then spouting off lyrics as spoken words ("Heyy! Ever love somebody??").

It reminds me of Whitney in the last half-decade of her career (and life) where she felt self-actualized just by SHOWING UP on stage. She knew that she had to just shimmy around a bit and cash out and she'll be good. That's the vibe I get from Christina right now and it's an extra sour feeling because she's in NO place to be cashing out. Part 2 of her career hasn't even started yet because she's delayed it all this time and right when she makes a legitimately GREAT pop album she treats it like some niche side project. Shameful.

It makes everything all the MORE frustrating when she's been given the greatest marketing outlet in American television to ride the hype circuit, but she's not willing to do much more than what she's already done. I don't know if it's a case of inflated ego, pure apathy, delusion, or plain stupidity. Regardless of what it is, it's just plain baffling that she's been given such a powerful platform to drive sales but insists on taking the (really) easy way out and planting her ass on the swivel chair almost of the time. Was she not around when her DUET with Adam Levine got him a number 1 hit? That was absolutely due to its promotion on the show, and to think that she could have had that through the several VERY marketable songs on Lotus.

Lotus is my favorite Christina Aguilera album and the paltry number of fucks she seems to give about it or her place in pop is a real disgrace.

You's on notice, bitch.

j28QC.gif

Satch

Banned
Christina really pissed me off after last night. She's not only proved to me how LAZY she's become as a musician but just how LITTLE she respects her own legacy. I knew that her live performances as of late have been showcases in self-parody but last night's performance really amplified that point.

It makes everything all the MORE frustrating when she's been given the greatest marketing outlet in American television to ride the hype circuit, but she's not willing to do much more than what she's already done. I don't know if it's a case of inflated ego, pure apathy, delusion, or plain stupidity. Regardless of what it is, it's just plain baffling that she's been given such a powerful platform to drive sales but insists on taking the (really) easy way out and planting her ass on the swivel chair almost of the time. Was she not around when her DUET with Adam Levine got him a number 1 hit? That was absolutely due to its promotion on the show, and to think that she could have had that through the several VERY marketable songs on Lotus.

You's on notice, bitch.

read ha

iCpIC5lO1pvJT.gif

You's on notice, bitch.

A masterpiece.

ibegqQUTbgslWh.gif

Majmun

You's on notice, bitch.

Feeling ya. It's very frustrating
iMCoFBTrs1gre.gif

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
This week sales arent even that impressive since it was expected aside from 1D selling more than I thought

It is next week's that I am more interested in and it has nothing to do with Lotus
iBqoswAcbh8X6.gif

Mau ®

Xtina's UK MIdweek's position
______________________-

1 TAKE ME HOME ONE DIRECTION
2 MERRY CHRISTMAS BABY ROD STEWART
3 GRRR ROLLING STONES
4 iDOS! GREEN DAY
5 TAKE THE CROWN ROBBIE WILLIAMS
6 MAGIC OF THE MOVIES ANDRE RIEU & JOHANN STRAUSS OR
7 BORN TO DIE LANA DEL REY
8 STORYTELLER ALFIE BOE
9 OUR VERSION OF EVENTS EMELI SANDE
10 + ED SHEERAN
11 18 MONTHS CALVIN HARRIS
12 STRONGER TOGETHER MILITARY WIVES
13 KING ANIMAL SOUNDGARDEN
14 SOME NIGHTS FUN
15 EVOLUTION JLS
16 BABEL MUMFORD & SONS
17 FALL TO GRACE PALOMA FAITH
18 LOTUS CHRISTINA AGUILERA

Oh....

iBqoswAcbh8X6.gif

Kyon

Banned
Christina really pissed me off after last night. She's not only proven to me how LAZY she's become as a musician but just how LITTLE she respects her own legacy. I knew that her live performances as of late have been showcases in self-parody but last night's performance really amplified that point.

It makes everything all the MORE frustrating when she's been given the greatest marketing outlet in American television to ride the hype circuit, but she's not willing to do much more than what she's already done. I don't know if it's a case of inflated ego, pure apathy, delusion, or plain stupidity. Regardless of what it is, it's just baffling that she's been given such a powerful platform to drive sales but insists on taking the (really) easy way out and planting her ass on the swivel chair almost all of the time. Was she not around when her DUET with Adam Levine got him a number 1 hit? That was absolutely due to its promotion on the show, and to think that she could have had that through the several VERY marketable songs on Lotus, it's the epitome of a wasted opportunity.

You's on notice, bitch.

iclbIYADH4zbm.gif

I mean, I suppose the numbers aren't terrible for an album that doesn't have a hit single but...

ibkJA2l46hT0gr.gif

Countdown to Botty saying "Maybe if Xtina came out as a bisexual she'd have higher sales"

botty

Banned
I mean, I suppose the numbers aren't terrible for an album that doesn't have a hit single but...

Countdown to Botty saying "Maybe if Xtina came out as a bisexual she'd have higher sales"

Anyone who is surprised by these numbers are being delusional. I am not.

Like Marius said... Next week's album positions are going to be far more interesting.

ibwGT9y2U5mezf.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom