• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT3| Geo Da Silva > nails on chalkboard > Taylor Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can stop posting Rih news. Stan for Squints full-time plz.
iYhQDDXGfgqK0.gif

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
does poopi18 actually stan for jessie j?

ibratAlAduLc5G.jpg

She's irrelevant AND her music is shit.
I stan for no one but she has enough gifs for almost every ocassion.

Anyway let the Baboons keep doing their thing.
iZoZ2jwvHPGwH.gif

I missed this one
THEN HOW COME IT PLAYS ON STADIUMS?!

When will Jessie J ever sell out a stadium when she can't even book a local bodega?

People like Elevator music surprise.

iALHEkWIDz94T.gif

royalan

QmdnD.png

State of Grace - A little meandering at times. Doesn't seem to really go anywhere and thus just *feels* too long. But I really liked her vocal. "Speak Now" era Taylor wouldn't have been able to sing this song. 3.5/5

Red - Dull and predictable. Taylor at her worst. I feel like any country tartlet with a Disney deal could have done this song. Sounds like it would be used as the the opening to some teen drama reality show that nobody would watch. 2/5

Treacherous - Great start, but quickly descends into predictable teen country hell by the first chorus. Utterly forgettable. Why am I even listening to this album? 2/5

I Knew You Were Trouble - Wow, if this isn't a breath of fresh air after those two terrible songs. Lyrics come off as believable teen angst without being too smarmy like "Red" and "Treacherous". Chorus beats "Love Story" as the catchiest thing she's ever done and, once again, I find myself impressed by a Taylor Swift vocal. I can't hate: this song slays. 5/5

All Too Well - Don't give a single fuck about your scarf, T-Swizzle. This song is like a livejournal post set to middle-of-the-road country production. 2/5

22 - Sounds like St!nk's "Raise Your Glass" got together with Hot Chelle Rae's "I Like It Like That" had a baby, and then abandoned it at a Walmart. Just fucking crap. 2/5

I Almost Do - Yet another livejournal entry about whining over a guy she's no longer with. This is getting tedious. Sure, most music relates to love, relationships and breakups, but Taylor makes no attempt to put a unique spin on the concept. Just straight up whine. At this point I really can't help but think that Taylor really needs to grow the fuck up. 2/5

We Are Never Ever Getting Ba - oh fuck it - Still think this song is kind of dull and basic, but I can't deny it's also catchy. And hey, I'm actually liking this song more after hearing it within the context of this shitty fucking album. Seriously, this album fucking blows. 3.5/5

Stay Stay Stay - Probably the worst song I've heard this year. How she managed to make such a repetitive song so easily forgettable is a feat that should be studied by the world's top scientists. 1/5

The Last Time - Suicidal thoughts are starting to creep in now. Not in the lyrics, but in my mind. Oh wait, the bridge is kind of nice and Gary Lightbody sounds great, this could have some potential.................uh, can they just fucking end this song now? 2/5

Holy Ground - Lyrically, this track is in the pits (like much of the album), but it's giving me 80s teas and I really like that. 3/5

Sad Beautiful Tragic - "And you've got your demons and darling they all look like me." Best line in the album. Love the dreamy production. Love the restrained vocal. Can't help but think that this is the direction Taylor's songwriting needs to take. Relatable without being so damn literal. 4/5

The Lucky One -
q9gMN.gif

someone's having a Britney Spears "Lucky" moment. Very clever song, and very honest. Like this one. 3/5

Everything Has Changed - Ed Sheeran is completely useless. Typical Taylor Swift - a little dull, a little safe. Not as offensive as some of the worst tracks on this album, though. 2.5/5

Starlight - Gives me "Love Story" teas. A nice return to catchy after those last few tracks, but I can't help but feel this particular style of daydreamy, boy-obsessed Country-Pop is starting to feel a little too young, even for Taylor Swift. 3/5

Begin Again - Nondescript song. More relationship crap. Taylor kind of reminds me of that friend that EVERYONE has, the one that seems to be in a new relationship every few weeks and weeps over every breakup as if her life is over...until some guy (ANY guy) smiles at her from across the bar, and before she even knows his last name she's fantasizing about how many children they're going to have and what she's going to say at his funeral after 50 happy years together, and you just want to grab her by the shoulders, shake her violently and say "GURL! Maybe you should just try being ALONE for a little bit!"

Taylor is coming to a point where's she just not exploring any new ground with these love ballads, and it's reflecting in the production. Slow, plodding, predictable, uninspired, safe, etc...2/5

OVERALL

Taylor Swift is clearly entering a harrowing point in her career where she's torn between evolving as an artist and a woman, and hanging on to her country tween fanbase that made her famous. It's a transition that many women who started out young in the business do not survive (poor brave LeAnn Rimes), so trepidation is a bit understandable.

Nevertheless, Taylor needs to make a choice, because with RED she attempts to have her cake and eat it too, and the result is an album that is a strange mixture of messy AND boring that I previously did not think possible. The songs are boring and safe to the point of pandering, and if Taylor Swift is an artist known for her superb songwriting I don't see it here. Many of these songs contain lyrics that read as though they were directly ripped from a preteen, love-obsessed girl's Xanga from 1999. And that might be interesting coming from a 17-year-old just coming into the industry all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. But, when you're a woman in your 20s who's becoming more and more known for making the rounds through some of Hollywood's hottest (and horniest) bachelors, a little evolution is not only expected, but required. Not saying she needs to become the next Rihanna, but the virgin-like innocence she's selling in RED, with only tiny peeks at the woman she's growing into, is becoming dishonest. And never before has Taylor's songs felt more stilted as a result.

Interestingly enough, though, I was pleasantly surprised whenever Taylor stepped out of her box - particularly with "I Knew You Were Trouble". When I read that Taylor was experimenting with new sounds this album, I immediately suspected that the results of that would be try-hard tracks meant to broaden her demographic (and that's probably not completely off the mark). But, lo and behold, it's actually those songs that attempt to give us a Taylor that's a bit more grown-up.

Those moments are too far and few between to save this travesty of an album, though. Wow at the badness.

D+

DMeisterJ

Banned
i c

I thought we were past this when you forgave me like when Rih forgave Bruises?

Guess not. :(

The #NAVY has dishonorably discharged you due to treason. Everything said in that chat has been NOTED and REVIEWED. We have decided to let you out of your #NAVY contract and pursue your squinty dreams.

121wqx1xeddh.gif

Bye now

Mau ®

22 is 2 stars?

TL;DR

More #UNAPOLOGETIC lyrics
seethe DMJ!!! seethe!!!!

All from the same song it seems

As long as we got each other, die in the moment #UNAPOLOGETIC

Together ain't promised forever, let's live in the moment #UNAPOLOGETIC

Cuz even forever and forever, I swear by the moment #UNAPOLOGETIC

Let's capture the moment... #UNAPOLOGETIC

botty

Banned
Roy's review is flawless. Hell must have frozen over considering Halcyon is more useful than boRED. Enjoy your coma-enducing music Taylor stans.

State of grace is great, though.
ioGqYjRqS0yVj.gif

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Roy's review is flawless. Hell must have frozen over considering Halcyon is more useful than boRED. Enjoy your coma-enducing music Taylor stans.

State of grace is great, though.
ioGqYjRqS0yVj.gif

Taylor tried though.
iCHWvYobAdQjj.gif

Mau ®

Can you believe these baboons, sis?

Have they lost touch with their teenage selves? Did life treat them too hard when their fave flopped?

We truly are amongst the lucky (over 5 million in the US tho kii) who can appreciate TAYLOR's AMAZING MUSIC
legend.gif

Aguila

#ICONIC
Speaking of Ellie, ACH is rising on the US iTunes chart. It just passed Lights. *3*

Today, she'll be on Ellen and Conan, and she has a YouTube performance that's being streamed live right now.

Artemisia

Banned
He did raise some good point though, I don't want to come off as dismissive. I read all of it <3

His review kinda resonated when he mentioned how many guys she's been with, along with her age. I'd expect something a bit more advanced.

Mau ®

He did raise some good point though, I don't want to come off as dismissive. I read all of it <3

His review kinda resonated when he mentioned how many guys she's been with, along with her age. I'd expect something a bit more advanced.

I doubt she's gonna do something like RED again tbh. I think its her swang song for her young years.

Its not like she HASNT done mature songs before. This is clearly the direction she wanted for the album.

Mau ®

I read Roy's review. I found it hilarious he loves the song I loathe from RED (I knew you were trouble).

We're basically completely different *.*

And that's Ok *.*

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Holy shit at P!nk's new album, guys.

HOOOOLEEE SHEEEEIT

Pop music hasn't disappointed me this year. My God.

Here Comes the Weekend is the sound of heavens.

Kibbles

Damnit Max Martin/Shelback. IKYWT was good but wut @ 22. I guarantee all the bonus tracks are better than that and wishing those were on the album instead.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
This russian chick has put out one of the most unbelievably big songs of 2012. It's like The Knife in high heels http://youtu.be/pMdvYgW-0cI

I've been jamming this all week after seeing it on another board and thought about posting it here before remembering that to much of pop-gaf, if it ain't on the charts then it ain't worth listening to. Their loss, I guess.

SaintZ

Avril IS coming!
...to the newest One Piece movie...
This year's 47th issue of Shueisha's Weekly Shonen Jump magazine is announcing on Monday that Canadian singer Avril Lavigne is contributing two theme songs for this year's One Piece Film Z film.

For the first time in the anime franchise, this next film will have two theme songs of its own: "How You Remind Me" and "Bad Reputation." According to the magazine, Lavigne herself is a fan of One Piece, and One Piece manga creator Eiichiro Oda is similarly a fan of Lavigne's music. After an exchange of letters and music between the two sides, the arrangement for the two theme songs were made.

One Piece Film Z will open in Japan on December 15. The film will feature "Z" (Zetto), the Straw Hat pirate crew's "strongest enemy yet" who was designed by Oda. Oda is serving as the executive producer of this film, as he did for the 10th feature film, 2009's One Piece Film Strong World.
When will your faves, tbh.
I don't know if a foreign artist has done this before and I don't watch One Piece tho :/

iZQPo0L9Vz4a.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom