• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT3| Geo Da Silva > nails on chalkboard > Taylor Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artemisia

Banned
Flesh-Tone.jpg

Flawless album

florenceparty28bf9.gif

What a foul cover though

Kyon

Banned
Thanks sisters!

So my mom sent me a text "Happy Birthday honey check your bank account from mom and dad"

*Side Eyes Account See's $900 deposit*

I am just counting rn and crying. May not sound like much but ch........

iPYp0VSGF63y8.gif

Thanks sisters!

So my mom sent me a text "Happy Birthday honey check your bank account from mom and dad"

iPYp0VSGF63y8.gif

That's amazing! Happy birthday sis :)

botty

Banned
Thanks sisters!

iPYp0VSGF63y8.gif

Get money, Kyon<3

ibxXsQnEGJSeW5.gif

Trigger

Even if she's about to flop, The Boys is a jam. One of the few Garbaj songs I like (mainly for Cassie's parts).

Thanks sisters!

That's sweet. I'm happy for you! :D

DMeisterJ

Banned
Thanks sisters!

iPYp0VSGF63y8.gif

May not seem like much? Ummm

iqK7TkHSCduRx.gif

But Congrats!

ibrCiQvB08F5IV.gif

My parents could never do that for me since they don't know my bank account # tho

I wish there were more tracks like Glassheart on Glassheart.

100% agree with this. Such an amazing pop song but it's the only one of its kind in the whole album. Too bad. :(

EDIT: Speaking of Glassheart, my new top 5 for that album:

1) Glassheart (of course)
2) Lovebird (the traditional power ballad I've been waiting for tbh)
3) Fireflies (as I said before it's a bit stalled, the big moment happens about 2/3 into the song and then it's gone just like that)
4) Favorite Scar (great chord progressions)
5) Sugar (second half of the song 0_0)

100% agree with this. Such an amazing pop song but it's the only one of its kind in the whole album. Too bad. :(

EDIT: Speaking of Glassheart, my new top 5 for that album:

1) Glassheart (of course)
2) Lovebird (the traditional power ballad I've been waiting for tbh)
3) Fireflies (as I said before it's a bit stalled, the big moment happens about 2/3 into the song and then it's gone just like that)
4) Favorite Scar (great chord progressions)
5) Sugar (second half of the song 0_0)
My top 5 is basically the same, except I'd replace Lovebird with Come Alive.

The album is flopping in the UK. Now it's behind Bugg whew AND Mehford and His Inbred Sons.

Based on this year's trends, the fact that it's an actual GOOD album should've been enough warning of its impending failure.

#reality2012worlddomination :-(

EDIT: Modmei lives! In everything, a silver lining...

What happened though? I thought Leona was pretty huge in the UK.
Awful lead single, relying on X-Factor performances for promo (despite the fact that the show is becoming increasingly less relevant in the UK), no radio support (a little from BBCR1/2 but none from Capital, whose audience is much more the music buying type). Basically speaks to gross mismanagement and the failure to maintain momentum.

It also doesn't help that when she's not releasing something, Leona completely withdraws from the spotlight. She literally disappears for years, of her own accord. It's nice that she established an animal sanctuary but it doesn't do much good for her career :p

Oh, the life of a stan. No one said it's easy, gurls

royalan

Awful lead single, relying on X-Factor performances for promo (despite the fact that the show is becoming increasingly less relevant in the UK), no radio support (a little from BBCR1/2 but none from Capital, whose audience is much more the music buying type). Basically speaks to gross mismanagement and the failure to maintain momentum.

It also doesn't help that when she's not releasing something, Leona completely withdraws from the spotlight. She literally disappears for years, of her own accord. It's nice that she established an animal sanctuary but it doesn't do much good for her career :p

Oh, the life of a stan. No one said it's easy, gurls

Switch out "animal sanctuary" for "fighting world hunger" and "X-Factor" for "The Voice" and you pretty much have Xtina right now. ;___;

Lotus comes out in less than a month, but judging by the buzz you wouldn't even know it because Christina just has NOT been visible. Heck, at this point she's done more promo for The Voice than for Your Body/Lotus (usually just throwing out the usual "unbreakable flower" comment amid conversation about the show).

Gurl, The Voice doesn't need your promo. The Voice is fine. YOUR CAREER is what needs your attention right now. ;_______;

And what's more frustrating is not only is Christina not visible, but neither is her team. Seriously WHERE ARE HER PEOPLE!? For example, Britney Spears, for how comatose she may be in regards to her own career, can be this way and still fucking slay because she was smart enough to surround herself with a team that would keep the Spears Machine running, regardless of her own input.

Xtina? NADA. Hell, her OWN DAMN WEBSITE is always fucking late on reporting Xtina news.

There have been a ton of rumors I've heard through the grapevine about Lotus recently. Track listings, remixes, upcoming appearances, etc...and I've been wanting to post it in the OT but I'm waiting for SOME sort of confirmation from Xtina or her team. ANYTHING. But no - NOTHING.

And this would be ok if Lotus WASN'T COMING OUT IN LESS THAN A MONTH. ;_________;

I'm just, I'm just trying to keep it together...

UkSdQ.gif

I know sis, I'm waiting for something to happen. I think since the non-Live episodes of The Voice are airing right now they can't input any promo for the album IN the show, but that doesn't excuse them from not editing some shit in during outros to commercial breaks.

It's so frustrating. Millions and millions of people are watching The Voice every week and could be exposed to promo for her album. The number of people they can reach right now is huge, but they're not acting. The live shows will probably start like two weeks before the album comes out so they better hustle.

Aguila

#ICONIC
Meanwhile, it seems that Ellie's constant Anything Could Happen promo is working. ACH is slowly rising on the iTunes chart. Could this be Ellie's second US hit
iX0wtZsaYxXEb.png
iX0wtZsaYxXEb.png
iX0wtZsaYxXEb.png

Majmun

If you'd told me 5 years ago that Maroon 5 would become a more successful act than Xtina, I'd laugh out loud.

They're on the same show, and yet only Adam Levine manages to use The Voice platform for success. Xtina needs a better team.

Majmun

No one can beat the Nagasaki Furtado bomb, though. Spirit Indestructible is probably the biggest bomb ever.

And No Doubt bombed too, I think.

Too bad about Leona bombing. The album is pretty good.
Don't think Lotus is going to bomb tbh. I dunno why..

royalan

So Leona's flopping, Xtina is headed for a flop. Next Rihanna and Kesha both gonna flop. It's all over for our faves.

No one can beat the Nagasaki Furtado bomb, though. Spirit Indestructible is probably the biggest bomb ever.

And No Doubt bombed too, I think.

Too bad about Leona bombing. The album is pretty good.
Don't think Lotus is going to bomb tbh. I dunno why..

I don't think Lotus is going to ultimately flop for several reasons:

1) The album is getting tons of positive hype from the people who have heard it. WAY more positive hype than I remember ever hearing for Bionic. After that listening party she held last week a lot of the people who were invited tweeted tons of positivity for the album. And it wasn't just fans in attendance, as several people were flat out saying in their tweets that there were several songs that would have been much better first singles than Your Body.

2) She will have nothing to do for the following year BUT promote Lotus and make it a successful era. Of course the haters like to say that Bionic failed because it was just that massively terrible, but a large part of the reason it tanked as hard as it did was because she practically swept the entire project under the rug when it didn't immediately take off. Bionic got a massive burst of initial promo, but then was completely dismissed in favor of promoting Burlesque when it wasn't an immediate smash. A lot of that may have to do with the fact that she DID have obligations to support Burlesque at a certain point that year, but it's still likely that Bionic would have fared a little better had she given it proper long-term support. Hell, just look Beyonce's "4" as a recent example of an album that was an initial flop, but then went on to achieve moderate success thanks to heavy and long-term promotion.

With her obligations to The Voice fulfilled, and no movie to support or any other major side projects, Christina will have nothing but time to promote the one thing that keeps her brand relevant: her music.

3) There do seem to be big things planned for Lotus long term. Here's an account from the listening party she held. I bolded the part relevant to my point:

Listening to an album while the artist who recorded it is feet away can be an awkward experience. Do you clap after every song? How much is too much head-bobbing? Is it rude to get up for a bathroom break? What about the bar?

On the other hand, it&#8217;s the rare opportunity for said artist to truly present their vision -- to talk about each track, how they came together and what the album means as a cohesive collection of thoughts and emotions put to melody and lyrics. It takes a certain showmanship to pull it off -- not only to gather your supporters but to turn an intimate setting into a giant pep rally.

To that end, Christina Aguilera has no trouble saying, &#8220;Go, me!&#8221; It&#8217;s part of the reason she&#8217;s come to sell tens of millions of albums, win four Grammy Awards and land a well-paying gig as chief celebrity coach on NBC&#8217;s The Voice. And now, at 31, she readily confesses (even to a room full of journalists, TV bookers and label executives): &#8220;I'm proud to be the pop star that I am.&#8221;

The proof is in Aguilera&#8217;s fifth proper full-length Lotus (she&#8217;s released seven albums since her 1999 debut, including a Spanish record and a Christmas collection), which the singer explained at a listening party held at Santa Monica&#8217;s House of Rock is her &#8220;full circle&#8221; moment.

Teaming up for two songs with hitmaker Max Martin, and completing the collaboration cycle with fellow Voice stars Cee Lo Green and Blake Shelton (both of whom appear on Lotus tracks, though the latter has yet to record his part), she describes the finished product as a &#8220;labor of love&#8221; and the latest turn in &#8220;a long road.&#8221; Said Aguilera on Wednesday night: &#8220;I've had radio success, I&#8217;ve had non-radio successes -- it's all about creativity and expression. I&#8217;ve learned a lot.&#8221;

Indeed, you could look at Lotus as giving a nod to each of Aguilera&#8217;s previous albums. There&#8217;s the unbridled sexuality of &#8220;Genie in a Bottle&#8221; and &#8220;Dirrty&#8221; in tracks like &#8220;Your Body&#8221; (originally titled &#8220;F--- Your Body,&#8221; she revealed of the &#8220;Maxtina&#8221; composition); the vulnerability of &#8220;Beautiful&#8221; in &#8220;Sing For Me,&#8221; what Aguilera calls a &#8220;true vocalist song;&#8221; the moodiness of &#8220;You Lost Me&#8221; in another Sia composition &#8220;Blank Page;&#8221; and the balls-to-the-wall fist-pump of &#8220;Fighter&#8221; in the Alex Da Kid-produced big drums sound of &#8220;Cease Fire.&#8221;

&#8220;I&#8217;m a risk-taker,&#8221; said Aguilera, citing her 2002 album Stripped as, &#8220;The first time I was able to be myself [and] peel back all the layers.&#8221; Back then, she added, &#8220;I felt so lumped into a stereotype. I came out at a time when there was huge pop explosion -- you had your boy bands and Britney [Spears], supposedly my rival. There was huge media hype and controversy, which always seems to follow me. It&#8217;s just the way it is.&#8221;
Lotus symbolizes a &#8220;rebirth&#8221; for Aguilera, now a mom to son Max, who explained that she chose the name because, &#8220;It means the unbreakable flower -- something that stands the test of time.&#8221;

It&#8217;s a lofty goal for an album, but looking around at a packed room of music business hitmakers, gatekeepers and influencers -- among them bookers for Chelsea Handler, American Idol and the American Music Awards, and many members of team Xtina, including manager Irving Azoff, RCA Records president Tom Corson, CAA music chief Rob Light, attorney Eric Greenspan, and producer-executive Ron Fair, who first signed Aguilera while she was still in her teens -- and one thing is clear: the enthusiastic applause was the real deal.

The crowd was full of bookers, and a lot of big wigs at RCA were present. To be fair, is probably standard procedure, but it still shows a lot of commitment to the project overall.

I just don't understand WHY RCA undervalues the importance of pre-release hype when it comes to Christina. They didn't do that with her debut era, Stripped, or Back to Basics. Christina was making appearances and doing performances well before those albums released, and as a result those eras were successful. Bionic is really the one era that RCA enacted their policy of radio silence until fucking release week. And look what happened there....:-/

Trigger

I think Xtina is just apathetic about making music. She hasn't been very invested in this era much at all.

It wasn't great tho, and then it fell off quickly. No hit singles. Critical reception wasn't amazing. All in all a very poor comeback.

Yg9dP.gif

I don't hear Settle Down or Push & Shove on the radio.

royalan

Meanwhile at the biggest stage in the world.

tumblr_m6szipLmVw1rxpbdvo1_500.gif

Yep, that Super Bowl performance is gauranTEED to propel Beyonce's next project to the very top of the charts. Just like Madonna proved with her #1 worldwide smash "Gimme All Your Lovin'", the Super Bowl audience is very relevant to the Pop audience and whatever she performs there will be a smash.

.........Oh, wait...

Dennis

Banned
I am not a staple of POPGAF but it seems like your icons are flopping all over the place.

How nice of them to make room for Lana Del Ray.

Poor Madonna :s MDNA was destined to flop even worse without the Superbowl. In fact, I bet that the halftime performance caused Vogue nostalgia sales.

Majmun

I don't think Lotus is going to ultimately flop for several reasons:

I really hope it doesn't flop. I want Xtina to come back. Her leadsingle is great, but it still kinda flopped. And that's what's bothering me.

But yeah, once she takes a break from the The Voice, she has to work for Lotus it and promote it. I don't think people will care for her anymore if she lands another flop album. The impressions sound ace, though.

And we can't really compare Bionic with 4. Beyonce's "flop" album sold millions of copies and received critical acclaim. Sure, it was a flop for Beyonce standards, but some other faves dream to have such a good selling album.

Definitely agree with you when it comes to Super Bowl. But the Hags leadsingle was really bad. If Bey manages to deliver a hitsingle, the next era will be hers.

Aguila

#ICONIC
I am not a staple of POPGAF but it seems like your icons are flopping all over the place.

How nice of them to make room for Lana Del Ray.

MHM. She be coming for them weaves again

i4zLTcrtoBPrz.gif

I wonder how Paradise Edition will fare with Lotus and Take Me Home releasing at the same time.

Majmun

When's Rihanna's album comming out? Can't ignore that.

Not here for Take me Home btw eww
Lotus and BTD:pE will be mine.

-edit-

1000th post already!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom