• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT3| Geo Da Silva > nails on chalkboard > Taylor Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artemisia

Banned
27128.gif

zankara

I've been jamming this all week after seeing it on another board and thought about posting it here before remembering that to much of pop-gaf, if it ain't on the charts then it ain't worth listening to. Their loss, I guess.

Please keep posting your recommendations, I have discovered some great songs thanks to you!

Meier

Why do people keep asking about Marina in the banner? She is a nobody, a non-existant entity that is only known by a select few who, like, frequent the Internet and discover unknown artists. She doesn't belong in the banner, not for quality (she's okay) nor for success. Some of the presence in the banner is already questionable, but most of the artists in the banner have at least one of the aforementioned aspects. Moorina has neither.

Marina has had a #1 album and a #5 album along with multiple top 40 hits. Azealia Banks ain't had shit (yeah, that could change, but we're talking right now when Marina has had much more success then her). Brandy hasn't been relevant for about 10 years. Avril Lavigne's popularity has fallen off a cliff. MIA has had exactly 2 top 40 hits in her life and that probably won't change any time soon. Janelle Monae is talented but will likely never be successful on a major level.

Let's get real here.

Mau ®

Marina has had a #1 album and a #5 album along with multiple top 40 hits. Azealia Banks ain't had shit (yeah, that could change, but we're talking right now when Marina has had much more success then her). Brandy hasn't been relevant for about 10 years. Avril Lavigne's popularity has fallen off a cliff. MIA has had exactly 2 top 40 hits in her life and that probably won't change any time soon. Janelle Monae is talented but will likely never be successful on a major level.

Let's get real here.

If regular Katy Perry is not on the banner then ARTSY KATY PERRY shouldn't be either.

Artemisia

Banned

Let's get real here.

KE23F.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
happy birthday kyon

i am OLD like rob ;_;

screenshot2012-10-18auip1q.png

idk why i am excited for the video, almost all of The Almighty's videos are crap. the preview looked FIERCE tho. maybe they will pull it out the bag and release the best pop video of the year to compliment the release of the best pop single of the year.

godsaloudg9azv.gif

GODS
ec20fb7f.gif
ec20fb7f.gif
ec20fb7f.gif

Koodo

Banned
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

Disclosure's immaculate Latch (ft. Sam Smith) is now available in North American iTunes stores.

PURCHASE IT.

Majmun

QmdnD.png

OVERALL

Taylor Swift is clearly entering a harrowing point in her career where she's torn between evolving as an artist and a woman, and hanging on to her country tween fanbase that made her famous. It's a transition that many women who started out young in the business do not survive (poor brave LeAnn Rimes), so trepidation is a bit understandable.

Nevertheless, Taylor needs to make a choice, because with RED she attempts to have her cake and eat it too, and the result is an album that is a strange mixture of messy AND boring that I previously did not think possible. The songs are boring and safe to the point of pandering, and if Taylor Swift is an artist known for her superb songwriting I don't see it here. Many of these songs contain lyrics that read as though they were directly ripped from a preteen, love-obsessed girl's Xanga from 1999. And that might be interesting coming from a 17-year-old just coming into the industry all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. But, when you're a woman in your 20s who's becoming more and more known for making the rounds through some of Hollywood's hottest (and horniest) bachelors, a little evolution is not only expected, but required. Not saying she needs to become the next Rihanna, but the virgin-like innocence she's selling in RED, with only tiny peaks at the woman she's growing into, is becoming dishonest. And never before has Taylor's songs felt more stilted as a result.

Interestingly enough, though, I was pleasantly surprised whenever Taylor stepped out of her box - particularly with "I Knew You Were Trouble". When I read that Taylor was experimenting with new sounds this album, I immediately suspected that the results of that would be try-hard tracks meant to broaden her demographic (and that's probably not completely off the mark). But, lo and behold, it's actually those songs that attempt to give us a Taylor that's a bit more grown-up.

Those moments are too far and few between to save this travesty of an album, though. Wow at the badness.

D+

ITZ' response:

ifpLHgVuT873g.gif

Styles

Not surprised since it came from an Xtincta stan. RED is quite possibly her best album yet.

beyonce.gif

And I can't at Koodo stanning for the most basic songs from RED.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom