• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT3| Geo Da Silva > nails on chalkboard > Taylor Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.
What songs did you listen to the most this year? EW's music staff weighs in

ADAM MARKOVITZ (STAFF WRITER)

Kelly Clarkson, “I Know You Won’t (Live)”: A Carrie Underwood song that Clarkson whipped out for some live shows. Usually covers are a compliment to the original artist. But when it’s Kelly, you’re screwed. That song is hers from now on.
http://music-mix.ew.com/2012/12/06/most-played-best-songs-2012/3/

Saw this on ATRL and its soooo true.

I watched Kelly's "Don't Speak" cover again this morning. No Doubt's original is dust in comparison. (Up to the Mountain is also now Kelly song)

Also Stronger (single) should be hitting 4 million sales US before the Grammy's. Shame that she won't get credit for Song of the Year because she has no writing credits.....listened to the Demo and she SAVED that song.

Artemisia

Banned
Saw this on ATRL and its soooo true.

I watched Kelly's "Don't Speak" cover again this morning. No Doubt's original is dust in comparison. (Up to the Mountain is also now Kelly song)

Also Stronger (single) should be hitting 4 million sales US before the Grammy's. Shame that she won't get credit for Song of the Year because she has no writing credits.....listened to the Demo and she SAVED that song.

your quote link is messed up tbh

Trigger

I do not concur.

1hsqW.gif

That said, good for Kelly. The first Idol still reigns supreme.

Trigger

It's not an issue of vocals for me. Kelly sprinkles Gwen in cheetos dust and devours ha in that department. The song is just something that feels more personal from Gwen. There's something to be said for the context a song was written in.

EDIT-Preach Mumei.

Artemisia

Banned
It's not an issue of vocals for me. Kelly sprinkles Gwen in cheetos dust and devours ha in that department. The song is just something that feels more personal from Gwen. There's something to be said for the context a song was written in.

yeah, just because Kelly is a better singer doesn't make her voice suit the song as well as Gwen's does.

This is my main problem when people say "x song would sound better if x artist who is a better singer sang it"

There are tons of better singers than Lana del Rey but her voice brings something special to her songs. I can't imagine someone else singing Ride
WuwSR.gif

royalan

I agree, and sometimes it's not just about sheer vocal prowess. I think Gwen's interpretation of the lyrics makes the song.

Eh gotta keep in mind 90% of her covers are one offs.....who knows what she could do if she actually had time to work with a song. She does different ones every tour stop....she essentially learns them the night before.

Christopher

Facts:

1. Kelly is a better singer than Carrie
2. Kelly is a better singer than Gwen
3. Kelly's cover of I Know You Won't was better than Carrie's
4. Kelly's cover of Don't Speak wasn't better than Gwen's

drag ha

first time I got to say it!

Facts:

1. Kelly is a better singer than Carrie
2. Kelly is a better singer than Gwen
3. Kelly's cover of I Know You Won't was better than Carrie's
4. Kelly's cover of Don't Speak wasn't better than Gwen's
I agree. Kelly's version of "Don't Speak" wasn't horrible, but Gwen owns it. Gotta throw Gwen a bone here, since her band has flopped this year. Of course, no one can have every single cover they do be immaculate. A few meh covers from Kelly isn't bad, since the majority of her other ones are flawless. Them lessor artists out there wish they could do so well with covers. Poor them.

There are so many. Going to listen to them

Thanks for putting it together *.*

*bookmarked

No problem. If you run across one with bad audio you can usually find more versions by searching. I am actually missing a bunch due to links that have gone dead :(

I need to spend time updating my list.

Didn't she try to cover shake it out?

HQTov.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwQnjVzXY38&list=PLPV_NJfznE-k0WtpR5qLVHuxsr53qA4wE&index=17
Its not bad actually. Not as good as Florence....obviously....but still good.

botty

Banned
Can we discuss how amazing Anne Hathaway is?

Her version of "I Dreamed a Dream" for the Les Miserables movie is so beautiful. The fact that the vocals aren't lip synced in the movie is also really impressive. I think Anne's version is the most genuine to the Fantine character since Ruthie Henshall's version. Though, obviously not as technically good.

Mumei

Can we discuss how amazing Anne Hathaway is?

Her version of "I Dreamed a Dream" for the Les Miserables movie is so beautiful. The fact that the vocals aren't lip synced in the movie is also really impressive. I think Anne's version is the most genuine to the Fantine character since Ruthie Henshall's version. Though, obviously not as technically good.

I actually liked Anne's version of it. But I prefer this rendition of Ruthie Henshall's over the one you posted.

Speaking of Gwen, omg. 4 in the Morning just came up on shuffle and I think it is an absolute masterclass at demonstrating the perfect pop chorus. It's wordy and melodic and catchy at the same time. Bless ha.

I give you everything that I am
I'm handing over everything that I've got
'Cuz I wanna have a really true love
Don't ever wanna have to go and give you up
Stay up 'till 4 in the mornin' and the tears are pourin'
And I wanna make it worth the fight
What have we been doing for all this time?
Baby if we're gonna do it, come on do it right

I'mma need solo Gwen to come back and kick Perry out the game, tbh...

Mumei

Oh yes, I remember watching this a few years ago when Boyle-mania was taking over.

After hearing Suzanne's version I needed to purge my brain with a competent rendition of the song.

Hahaha

I had to cleanse after Paul Potts' My First Popera rendition of Nessun Dorma.

botty

Banned
Frank Ocean is being honored by MtvU

r-FRANK-OCEAN-large570.jpg

NEW YORK — The mtvU network is honoring a rap superstar who detailed his love for another man and a Pakistani girl shot for her education advocacy as its Man and Woman of the Year.

Frank Ocean, who earned six Grammy nominations Wednesday, published a letter online about his first love, a man, just as his "channel ORANGE" disc was being released. MtvU on Thursday called it "an incredibly brave move for an artist on the verge of superstardom."

Fifteen-year-old Malala Yousufzai (mah-LAH'-lah YOO'-suf-ZAY') blogged about her support of education for girls in Pakistan. For that, Taliban militants stormed her school bus and shot her in the head and neck, but she survived.

The mtvU network is geared toward college students and is seen on more than 750 campuses.

Interesting that Francis' love for another man continues to remain in the forefront, while his music stays perched in the backseat. Not that anyone is here for his music anyway.

b80efe23.gif

Galang

Banned
Hmm I think Frank Ocean actually looks better in glasses.

And it sucks for him that his career will be plagued by his sexuality, but how does one come out it in the industry being brought up all the time? If he had admitted as soon as his career started I wonder if it would of been different.

Kyon

Banned
Frank Ocean is being honored by MtvU

r-FRANK-OCEAN-large570.jpg

Interesting that Francis' love for another man continues to remain in the forefront, while his music stays perched in the backseat. Not that anyone is here for his music anyway.

b80efe23.gif

Yeah everyone only got Channel Bore when it was $0.99 never heard from again. Only time he is mentioned is when it's about his sexuality. No one curr about ha. The faux "stanning" has got to stap

imHWDktp1Kdom.gif

Kyon

Banned
Francis was a HUGE deal behind the scenes working with other artists. I find it hilarious people CARE for him in the spotlight now

botty

Banned
HEY - check yo shade at the door because it is NOT just the Xtina stans this time. Even regulars in the Grammy concert thread were going in.

Well, if the Xtina stans didn't bring up Francis who would? Surely not the people who claim to be here for Channel Borange.
b80efe23.gif

royalan

I'm listening to this album again to see if I can finally hear what everyone else does.

I just can't at how dull this entire album is. Halfway through "Crack Rock" and I feel like I need to shoot up just to make it through. Frank sorely needs focus.

Pyramids is a bop, tho.

Trigger

What a lovely Top 5. *.*

I'm listening to this album again to see if I can finally hear what everyone else does.

I just can't at how dull this entire album is. Halfway through "Crack Rock" and I feel like I need to shoot up just to make it through. Frank sorely needs focus.

Pyramids is a bop, tho.

I don't know. The way some of his songs progress is very nice. I feel like comparing Frank to someone like Miguel is hard because they're not going for the same feel at all.

Trigger replying to every single post certainly helped ha
iSUbn0HdnRjBn.gif

iSUbn0HdnRjBn.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom