• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT3| Geo Da Silva > nails on chalkboard > Taylor Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Trigger replying to every single post certainly helped ha
iSUbn0HdnRjBn.gif

reminds me of Diamonds, huge radio AI but no one is buying
iSUbn0HdnRjBn.gif

DMeisterJ

Banned
^ But it's #3 on iTunes (combined versions). Bye.

Thank Goodness some of you cunts are higher than me. Makes me feel less lame for posting so much.

Bladenic

How does Trigger have so many posts, I hardly ever see any of her posts.

Also I listened to Channel Orange again and I agRiH with the Xtuna stans now.

Lol jk the album is good and y'all can remain pressed that a gay man in the hip hop genre is finding success while writing one or two songs about his sexuality. Must be okay when Xtincta sings extremely perverse and provocative songs about sex knowing she's a mother.

royalan

How does Trigger have so many posts, I hardly ever see any of her posts.

Also I listened to Channel Orange again and I agRiH with the Xtuna stans now.

Lol jk the album is good and y'all can remain pressed that a gay man in the hip hop genre is finding success while writing one or two songs about his sexuality. Must be okay when Xtincta sings extremely perverse and provocative songs about sex knowing she's a mother.

What does her being a mother have to do with anything?

Artemisia

Banned
I find it appalling that some of you (Botty, Kyon, Royalan) come for an artist that put out one of the best albums of the year, who recently got SIX nominations for the most prestigious award in the industry, by saying that no one is here for his music, and only for his sexuality.

What about Xtina and Britney, huh? Their current claim to fame is not their music. When one thinks about either of their standings in society today, music does not come to mind. They can both be found sitting their asses down on reality TV show judging seats. One of the two recently put out an album and it got paid absolute DUST by both consumers and critics. The other used their TV show to bring attention to a recent feature. Clearly the public eye is not on their music.

When Xtina and Britney get recent recognition for music, you can start coming for Frank Ocean.

Until then, remain seated, continue seething, and stay doing the most.

DMeisterJ

Banned
I find it appalling that some of you (Botty, Kyon, Royalan) come for an artist that put out one of the best albums of the year, who recently got SIX nominations for the most prestigious award in the industry, by saying that no one is here for his music, and only for his sexuality.

What about Xtina and Britney, huh? Their current claim to fame is not their music. When one thinks about either of their standings in society today, music does not come to mind. They can both be found sitting their asses down on reality TV show judging seats. One of the two recently put out an album and it got paid absolute DUST by both consumers and critics. The other used their TV show to bring attention to a recent feature. Clearly the public eye is not on their music.

When Xtina and Britney get recent recognition for music, you can start coming for Frank Ocean.

Not a lie spotted.
xcABM.gif

royalan

And you would have a point here if Britney and Christina were new artists debuting within the last two years.

But nope. They are acclaimed pop artists with millions of records sold. Been in the game for over a decade making MUSIC.

It's not our fault that Frank Ocean is a new artist and so far all the media wants to highlight is his sexuality.

#Gurrbye

royalan

I just clicked this and already I'm slayed by the bassline.

I'm bopping.

I'm liking this minimalist direction some artists are taking. Reminds me of the new Kelis song with Skream.

EDIT: Apparently this is a EP with multiple tracks. The song I was referring to was Weak Spot.

DRAG THEM

Why is it that Amazon has WORSE deals on music during the holidays than it has at any other time of the year? Have a bunch of credits and discounts that expire in a couple days but nothing to buy......kept waiting for RED or Take Me Home physical CD's to go on sale.....or something.

royalan

DRAG THEM

You gotta make sense to drag, Rob.

You of all people shouldn't be endorsing someone who wants to cast sweeping judgment on an artist based on their most recent output while ignoring their entire body of work.

On no level does Arte make any shred of sense comparing Frank Ocean to Britney or Christina. Both girls are established, acclaimed, and have paid their dues.

Artemisia

Banned
And you would have a point here if Britney and Christina were new artists debuting within the last two years.

But nope. They are acclaimed pop artists with millions of records sold. Been in the game for over a decade making MUSIC.

It's not our fault that Frank Ocean is a new artist and so far all the media wants to highlight is his sexuality.

#Gurrbye

And neither of them have hardly any presence in the industry anymore. That time is over for both of them.

And when does the media at large EVER highlight music? I'm sure that will get people tuning in to E! News. "FRANK OCEAN'S ALBUM HAS A 92 ON METACRITIC!!11111"

Again, he got nominated for 6 Grammys, the most prestigious music award worldwide. His album has incredible reception, and sold quite well in the US. The music scene has all their attention on his music and could give two fucks about his sexuality.

Bye.

#Gurrbye

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaait. So you're saying that when Christina and Britney debuted, all the press they got was about their music?

royalan

And neither of them have hardly any presence in the industry anymore. That time is over for both of them.

And when does the media at large EVER highlight music? I'm sure that will get people tuning in to E! News. "FRANK OCEAN'S ALBUM HAS A 92 ON METACRITIC!!11111"

Again, he got nominated for 6 Grammys, the most prestigious music award worldwide. His album has incredible reception, and sold quite well in the US. The music scene has all their attention on his music and could give two fucks about his sexuality.

Bye.

Gurl, then why is his sexuality at the forefront of every conversation?

And I can think of more than several artists who keep the focus on their music. Problem is they rarely become media sensations like Ocean has.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaait. So you're saying that when Christina and Britney debuted, all the press they got was about their music?

Not what I'm saying at all. All I'm saying is it makes no sense to drag Christina and Britney for where they are now in the music industry in defense of an artist who just debuted and so far doesn't even have half the acclaim attached to his name that they have built up over their entire careers.

Brit and Xtina are more than just what they're doing right now.

Bladenic

Arte sis it's useless. We should just follow DMJ's example and stop trying it with these baboons. I think if we and everyone just ignore the haters, especially Botty, then they'd go away, or something.

Galang

Banned
I just clicked this and already I'm slayed by the bassline.

I'm bopping.

I'm liking this minimalist direction some artists are taking. Reminds me of the new Kelis song with Skream.

EDIT: Apparently this is a EP with multiple tracks. The song I was referring to was Weak Spot.

Breathe is one of my songs of the year, but not really a fan of most of the rest of the EP tbh. Maybe will grow on me. Definitely agree the direction is nice.

Only artist I've heard to really remind me of AlunaGeorge too.

botty

Banned

Yes, continue to use the word "recent" because even as teenagers Britney and Christina's careers were infinitely more relevant and acclaimed than the insignificant speck of dust that is Frank Ocean's music career. His album is a piece of shit, and the only reason anyone cared about it was due to the hype built by his bandwagon stans... all of which sing praise for his music, but never use it. Let's also not forget that no one in Pop Gaf began the "Frank Ocean is famous for coming out" stuff, so you (and whoever the hell else keeps throwing this around) can have several seats, and accept the facTs.

It goes with out saying that 2012 was a shitty and boring year in music, and we can look no further than the #1's that plagued us this year: Gotye, Maroon 5, Carly Rae Jepsen, PSY, and Rihanna. Fitting that Francis would be the the poster boy for what might go down as the world's worst year in music, and also what the Mayans thought would be the end of the world.

Based on Frank's nominations, he will be lucky if he even wins one grammy. There are people he is up against who have built their careers on having talent, good music, and not instagram or tumblr. Eventually when this band wagon dies, and moves onto the next "big" thing, you will look back and realize that I never told one damn lie.

Now all of you can go back to enjoying Channel Orange... Oh wait, that's right, You weren't.
iwWBptYt4UyWf.gif

Artemisia

Banned
Gurl, then why is his sexuality at the forefront of every conversation?

And I can think of more than several artists who keep the focus on their music. Problem is they rarely become media sensations like Ocean has.

Yes, and who on earth becomes a media sensation because of their music?

Rihanna does because Chris Brown assaulted her. Gaga does because of her outfits. Xtina does because of her weight and her place on the Voice. Britney did because of her controversial sexualization and breakdown.

And it's not like he chose to be the object of this attention. His sexuality was never even flaunted. He was made a media sensation because being gay is still viewed controversial.

royalan

Breathe is one of my songs of the year, but not really a fan of the rest of the EP tbh. Maybe will grow on me. Definitely agree the direction is nice

Haven't listened to anything from this EP before, but I'm in love with it. Love the chill mood it sets with these randoms bits of dissonance thrown in.

I think "Hide" is my favorite track.

royalan

Yes, continue to use the word "recent" because even as teenagers Britney and Christina's careers were infinitely more relevant and acclaimed than the insignificant speck of dust that is Frank Ocean's music career. His album is a piece of shit, and the only reason anyone cared about it was due to the hype built by his bandwagon stans... all of which sing praise for his music, but never use it. Let's also not forget that no one in Pop Gaf began the "Frank Ocean is famous for coming out" stuff, so you (and whoever the hell else keeps throwing this around) can have several seats, and accept the facTs.

It goes with out saying that 2012 was a shitty and boring year in music, and we can look no further than the #1's that plagued us this year: Gotye, Maroon 5, Carly Rae Jepsen, PSY, and Rihanna. Fitting that Francis would be the the poster boy for what might go down as the world's worst year in music, and also what the Mayans thought would be the end of the world.

Based on Frank's nominations, he will be lucky if he even wins one grammy. There are people he is up against who have built their careers on having talent, good music, and not instagram or tumblr. Eventually when this band wagon dies, and moves onto the next "big" thing, you will look back and realize that I never told one damn lie.

Now all of you can go back to enjoying Channel Orange... Oh wait, that's right, You weren't.
iwWBptYt4UyWf.gif

COMPREHENSIVE READING

Artemisia

Banned

botty said:
Interesting that Francis' love for another man continues to remain in the forefront, while his music stays perched in the backseat. Not that anyone is here for his music anyway.

When did the media ever place Britney or Christina's music at the forefront?

All the media cared about was their look, love lives, and status as celebs.

So why do you come for Frank Ocean from that tired angle?

royalan

Yes, and who on earth becomes a media sensation because of their music?

Do you really mean to imply that you've never heard of music artists that burst onto the scene and were made media darlings due to the sheer quality of their talent/music and not the self-made controversy surrounding it?

TIwux.jpg

MmpCK.jpg

7HoyQ.jpg

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I appreciate that the Little Periods have invented a parallel universe where Frank Ocean didn't put out one of the year's highest-rated releases and people are only talking about him because he's bisexual. That's a special kind of delusional.

And where Lotus was considered a good album by more than four people.

Do you really mean to imply that you've never heard of music artists that burst onto the scene and were made media darlings due to the sheer quality of their talent/music and not the self-made controversy surrounding it.
Right, sis, Xtina was made by the quality of her music and nothing to do with the manufactured rivalry between her and Britney.

iEdKK47rVcLGm.jpg

Bladenic

I appreciate that the Little Periods have invented a parallel universe where Frank Ocean didn't put out one of the year's highest-rated releases and people are only talking about him because he's bisexual. That's a special kind of delusional.

Isn't it amazing? I guess if you believe something really strongly, it becomes true!!!!!!!

Majmun

I'm loving how pressed the Frank Ocean haters have gotten all of a sudden. His Grammy slayage has left some emotional scarring, I see.

And it's funny how people always seem to mention his sexuality when talking about his success-or the lack of it.

People seem to love his music. And that's it. Deal with it.
ibxiF2wV2LnxpY.gif

Artemisia

Banned
Do you really mean to imply that you've never heard of music artists that burst onto the scene and were made media darlings due to the sheer quality of their talent/music and not the self-made controversy surrounding it?

TIwux.jpg

MmpCK.jpg

7HoyQ.jpg

Wasn't Christina on the Mickey Mouse Club prior to her music career? She also came around the same time as Britney and that served as 'heated competition'.

But Mariah and Whitney are good examples.

Bladenic

I'm loving how pressed the Frank Ocean haters have gotten all of a sudden. His Grammy slayage has left some emotional scarring, I see.

And it's funny how people always seem to mention his sexuality when talking about his success-or the lack of it.

People seem to love his music. And that's it. Deal with it.
ibxiF2wV2LnxpY.gif

All of a sudden? Bro Botty has been ran over by a tank pressed for months now.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
One of these days we should have a discussion concerning what it is about being an Xtina stan that causes one to hate brilliant, exciting new pop.

Jealousy? Tinnitus? Sheer poor taste?

HiResDes

I'm not even a huge fan of Channel Orange, which I found to be really boring in spots but songs like Bad Religion and Crack Pipe are some of the deepest by any "pop" artist in a while.

You gotta make sense to drag, Rob.

You of all people
What's this now?
shouldn't be endorsing someone who wants to cast sweeping judgment on an artist based on their most recent output while ignoring their entire body of work.

On no level does Arte make any shred of sense comparing Frank Ocean to Britney or Christina. Both girls are established, acclaimed, and have paid their dues.
I thought he was comparing him cuz that's who y'all stan for? Dragging Frank because the media focuses on his sexuality is as bad as dragging Britney for the media focusing on her virginity, or which dancer Christina was dating now. The media will focus on what sells to you slavering beasts and not what's interesting. Someone in this thread says they don't even pay attention to what publications have to say about music. So if the majority of you enjoy the salacious details over music discussion, is that the artists fault? No.

Kyon

Banned

Bye.

These LIES
ny15.gif

Also we DRAG Francis because the majority aren't here for his music.

Godney and Legend X sold records for their TALENT AND media personas. Francis is only being stanned for because of his sexuality there is a difference

Artemisia

Banned
One of these days we should have a discussion concerning what it is about being an Xtina stan that causes one to hate brilliant, exciting new pop.

It just makes no fucking sense to me.

He has recognition for his music. Channel Orange was already a hyped release thanks to his earlier released mixtape, and sold quite well. His album has the most critical reception of the year. He is up for 6 grammys. It's clear people are listening to his music and are fucking enjoying it.

But somehow this is all invalidated because the media is playing on the social taboo of bisexuality/homosexuality and drawing focus to that, instead of his music. Because everyone knows the media talks about music and not who is dating who or who just had a breakdown.

royalan

Who's talking about the quality of the music here? Well, obvious I think it's a completely overblown (boring shit) album, but I'm more or less discussing the guy's overall relevance. The conversation surrounding Frank Ocean seems to be about his sexuality and how brave his "coming out" was. This isn't something I'm concocting. It's becoming a pretty fair observation at this point, especially after things like that article Botty linked to that refers to Frank as a "rap superstar."

It's almost as if Frank's music is being praised because it HAS to be in order to fit the narrative. But I'll admit that I'm being very cynical with that.

Also sad that, since the comparison was made, I peeked at metacritic and noted that Miguel's brilliant album, while equally praised, has only been reviewed by 16 critics to Frank's 40+.

Both albums have been noted as high quality and genre-leading by the critics.

But one seems to get considerably more media attention. Wonder why that is...

botty

Banned
When did the media ever place Britney or Christina's music at the forefront?

All the media cared about was their look, love lives, and status as celebs.

So why do you come for Frank Ocean from that tired angle?

Britney and Christina's music were popular in the media far more than their personal lives when they debuted. Want to know why? Because that is all the media had to go off of when they debuted. They both had young, sexy images, but that didn't stop the media from headlining them as the "Oops... I did it again girl," or the "Genie in the Bottle starlet." It has only been later in their lives, well after they reached legend status, that their personal lives have become the center of attention.

Frank Ocean on the other hand is always headlined as "the guy who came out on tumblr." It was perfectly timed before his album released, and with the vocal support of Beyonce... who is someone he worked with prior (interesting) to build hype and generate buzz. Continued by his choices to post shirtless pics of himself. These are all things Francis DID. He is the one who has turned his sexuality into a marketing ploy. Can't really be upset if people call him out on it, or if people observe that the media has tag-lined him as such.

And speaking of observations, that was all I did when I made that response to the news article. And when I responded to you the first time I didn't even mention his sexuality. His album is shit, he is this years band wagon fad (along with Lana), and if I were lying people would at least bring up what makes his music so good... instead of constantly putting "Pyramids" on repeat. But alas, you faux-Francis stans can't even exert enough energy to pretend to like any of his other songs.

Though Second did like Pink Matter, and based on those hot women he has been with... I don't blame him.
qzpll.gif

Koodo

Banned

It must hurt seeing a new artist accomplish more artistically with their debut album than their loose-sphinctered fave has done in 13 years.

xcABM.gif

Artemisia

Banned
Who's talking about the quality of the music here? Well, obvious I think it's a completely overblown (boring shit) album, but I more or less discussing the guy's overall relevance. The conversation surrounding Frank Ocean seems to be about his sexuality and how brave his "coming out" was. This isn't something I'm concocting. It's becoming a pretty fair observation at this point, especially after things like that article Botty linked to that refers to Frank as a "rap superstar."

Also sad that, since the comparison was made, I peeked at metacritic and noted that Miguel's brilliant album, while equally praised, has only been reviewed by 16 critics to Frank's 40+.

Both albums have been noted as high quality and genre-leading by the critics.

But one seems to get considerably more media attention. Wonder why that is...

No one is arguing against the fact that his sexuality drew attention to him.

We are waiting for you to explain how an artist becoming a media spectacle for something other than their music is anything new, why we should give a fuck, the proof that he came out on purpose to be relevant, and how his sexuality makes his music received any better or worse than it is now, all of the above which he as been dragged for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom