• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT3| Geo Da Silva > nails on chalkboard > Taylor Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bladenic

No one is arguing against the fact that his sexuality drew attention to him.

We are waiting for you to explain how an artist becoming a media spectacle for something other than their music is anything new, why we should give a fuck, the proof that he came out on purpose to be relevant, and how his sexuality makes his music received any better or worse than it is now.

We will be waiting forever.

No wonder gays have such a high rate of depression when even members of their own community slam celebs who come out of the closet. What kind of message does that send?
ab6d3f1c.gif

And even if he came out for ~sales, the fact that it's the Xtina stans condemning him for using his sexuality to sell records is the HEIGHT of irony.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Who's talking about the quality of the music here? Well, obvious I think it's a completely overblown (boring shit) album, but I more or less discussing the guy's overall relevance. The conversation surrounding Frank Ocean seems to be about his sexuality and how brave his "coming out" was. This isn't something I'm concocting. It's becoming a pretty fair observation at this point, especially after things like that article Botty linked to that refers to Frank as a "rap superstar."
Right yeah, I guess everyone in the media referring to Santigold as hiphop and rap must have been because of her brave coming out as transgendered, too.

Wait, no, it's because the media can be fuckwits about this kind of thing.

Also sad that, since the comparison was made, I peeked at metacritic and noted that Miguel's brilliant album, while equally praised, has only been reviewed by 16 critics to Frank's 40+.

Both albums have been noted as high quality and genre-leading by the critics.

But one seems to get considerably more media attention. Wonder why that is...
Because the Miguel vs. Frank Ocean 'thing' is something that exists only in your steam-pressed mind? There are lots of high-reviewed albums that get barely any media attention. Crystal Castles' (III) is one of the best albums of the year but it hasn't been nominated for any Grammys either.

Bladenic

No wonder gays have such a high rate of depression when even members of their own community slam celebs who come out of the closet. What kind of message does that send?
ab6d3f1c.gif

And even if he came out for ~sales, the fact that it's the Xtina stans condemning him for using his sexuality to sell records is the HEIGHT of irony.

Preach that holy word. Britney and Xtincta stans have no business coming for anyone ever for using sexuality to sell. Those are the poster bitches for sexuality selling.

royalan

ab6d3f1c.gif

I think the severe irony here is how the VAST majority of Frank's music is from the perspective of a man lusting after a woman. Irony INDEED.

Yes, continue to use the word "recent" because even as teenagers Britney and Christina's careers were infinitely more relevant

Britney's "career" from the beginning was more about her being a slutty looking virgin, her relationship with Justin Timberlake, and her not being all that bright. She was "relevant" because kids bought her records and she was what straight men consider pretty.

I can't say much about Christina's press, she didn't get that much.

His album is a piece of shit,

Subjective.

all of which sing praise for his music, but never use it.
Like how whenever I put on Frank in the plug room you leave or bitch about it the whole time?

Let's also not forget that no one in Pop Gaf began the "Frank Ocean is famous for coming out" stuff,

You (popgaf) might not have started it, but you'll (botty) be damned if you let us forget it.

not instagram or tumblr.

Imma need you to start complaining about every artist that uses "sex" to sell their work. If i went on a tirade every time I had to look at Christina's bosoms, I'd be number one in posts. Why are you following Franks instagram and tumblr anyway? The fact is, YOU post about Frank more than we do. And you seem infinitely bothered by him. Do you see something of yourself when you look at Frank?

Kyon

Banned
Preach that holy word. Britney and Xtincta stans have no business coming for anyone ever for using sexuality to sell. Those are the poster bitches for sexuality selling.

Except Godney and Legend X have FANS that CARE about their music. None of y'all care about Francis and it shows.

Do you really mean to imply that you've never heard of music artists that burst onto the scene and were made media darlings due to the sheer quality of their talent/music and not the self-made controversy surrounding it?

See you're talking about "music artists" everyone else is talking about pop stars. There's a difference, IMO.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
ab6d3f1c.gif

It's kind of shameful to be honest. Do people really think that announcing you're bi before your first album drops is some kind of cynical marketing move? I wonder why roy and botty think there are so few gay people in the entertainment industry even though acting, singing and dancing are a heaumeaux's favourite activities? It would be so good for their careers and critical acclaim!

Mumei

Arte, I'm impressed. You actually made a serious post. Several! Excellent job; I thought I'd never see the day.

iy4XbGB1Q1KgH.gif

Do you really mean to imply that you've never heard of music artists that burst onto the scene and were made media darlings due to the sheer quality of their talent/music and not the self-made controversy surrounding it?

??????

Well, two out of three ain't bad.

royalan

It's kind of shameful to be honest. Do people really think that announcing you're bi before your first album drops is some kind of cynical marketing move? I wonder why roy and botty think there are so few gay people in the entertainment industry even though acting, singing and dancing are a heaumeaux's favourite activities? It would be so good for their careers and critical acclaim!

Because dislike for Frank Ocean translates into dislike/cynicism surrounding any LGBT singer/actor/performer?

I suppose I better get to it on my Glambert shade, then.

Koodo

Banned
ab6d3f1c.gif

Perhaps this is why the Xtincta stans are fond of the shit lyricism found in Stripped and beyond, where nuance and subtlety have been left checked at the door.

Seems like telling the public to RUB her BOTTLE the RIGHT WAY so the GENIE can COME OUT wasn't a starved cry for publicity and a usage of sexuality to the most extreme.

Bladenic

Except Godney and Legend X have FANS that CARE about their music. None of y'all care about Francis and it shows.

Now what in fuck's name are you talking about? I like Frank and I care about his music. What am I supposed to do, bring him up in this thread all the time? First of all, he doesn't really belong in this thread to begin with. Second, I don't think anybody brings up Frank Ocean because you and botty will just go on another tyrade.

Also it's clear that none of Xtincta's fans care about her music else it would be selling.

botty

Banned
Now what in fuck's name are you talking about? I like Frank and I care about his music. What am I supposed to do, bring him up in this thread all the time? First of all, he doesn't really belong in this thread to begin with. Second, I don't think anybody brings up Frank Ocean because you and botty will just go on another tyrade.

Also it's clear that none of Xtincta's fans care about her music else it would be selling.

Yes, because Frank Ocean was the talk of the town prior to me joining Pop Gaf.

iSUbn0HdnRjBn.gif

royalan

Perhaps this is why the Xtincta stans are fond of the shit lyricism found in Stripped and beyond, where nuance and subtlety have been left checked at the door.

Seems like telling the public to RUB her BOTTLE the RIGHT WAY so the GENIE can COME OUT wasn't a starved cry for publicity and a usage of sexuality to the most extreme.

1) The song that broke Christina onto the scene was Reflection tho. Yeah it wasn't a smash hit, but it was the song that got people checking for her in the first place.

2) Don't pretend like your fave's music isn't swimming in metaphor.

Britney and Christina's music were popular in the media far more than their personal lives when they debuted. Want to know why? Because that is all the media had to go off of when they debuted. They both had young, sexy images, but that didn't stop the media from headlining them as the "Oops... I did it again girl," or the "Genie in the Bottle starlet." It has only been later in their lives, well after they reached legend status, that their personal lives have become the center of attention.
Inaccurate.

Frank Ocean on the other hand is always headlined as "the guy who came out on tumblr." It was perfectly timed before his album released, and with the vocal support of Beyonce... who is someone he worked with prior (interesting) to build hype and generate buzz. Continued by his choices to post shirtless pics of himself. These are all things Francis DID. He is the one who has turned his sexuality into a marketing ploy. Can't really be upset if people call him out on it, or if people observe that the media has tag-lined him as such.
You must be new to paying attention to pop artists. Your fave was naked in Maxim, right? I have seen enough Christina and Britney skin to last me to the end of YOUR days. But it must be just okay when pretty little girls do it huh? Heaven forbid anyone capitalize on their looks. No ones ever done that in the music industry. Everyone should just be an ugly pothead like Gaga.

Bladenic

Yes, because Frank Ocean was the talk of the town prior to me joining Pop Gaf.

iSUbn0HdnRjBn.gif

Nice try, but why would he be mentioned in a POP thread when he's not that? I can't vouch but I imagine he was talked about in the GAF Hop thread, where he belongs.

royalan

Inaccurate.

You must be new to paying attention to pop artists. Your fave was naked in Maxim, right? I have seen enough Christina and Britney skin to last me to the end of YOUR days. But it must be just okay when pretty little girls do it huh? Heaven forbid anyone capitalize on their looks. No ones ever done that in the music industry. Everyone should just be an ugly pothead like Gaga.

Now Rob, you know Stripped wasn't our fave's debut era, right? Christina was becoming a household name years before any of that went down. In fact, that's what made her Maxim spread so notorious. Christina had been America's sweetheart with the golden pipes until that Stripped.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
1) The song that broke Christina onto the scene was Reflection tho. Yeah it wasn't a smash hit, but it was the song that got people checking for her in the first place.

Only in Xtinastanland.

Critical response for "Reflection" was mixed, with reviewers considering it a nice song, however, entirely unmemorable.

botty

Banned
Nice try, but why would he be mentioned in a POP thread when he's not that? I can't vouch but I imagine he was talked about in the GAF Hop thread, where he belongs.

Are you saying that the only artist who are referred or discussed in this thread are exclusive to the pop genre?

royalan

Only in Xtinastanland.

Who the fuck is talking about "critical response," tho?

Regardless of what the critics thought about it at the time, Reflection WAS the song that introduced America's youth to Christina Aguilera. I honestly don't think her actual debut would have been as explosive without it.

Mumei

Now Rob, you know Stripped wasn't our fave's debut era, right? Christina was becoming a household name years before any of that went down. In fact, that's what made her Maxim spread so notorious. Christina had been America's sweetheart with the golden pipes until that Stripped.

Wait, when was Christina America's sweetheart? I must have been asleep during that era.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Who the fuck is talking about "critical reception," tho?

Regardless of what the critics thought about it at the time, Reflection WAS the song that introduced America's youth to Christina Aguilera. I honestly don't think her actual debut would have been as explosive without it.

And of course it was a song that stood on its own artistic merit, and didn't get attention at all through any kind of marketing, because that is what true artists do.

Bladenic

Inaccurate.

I would tell you to keep spreading the truth but like all of us here you're wasting your time. It's funny just how a double standard is being costructed here. Also funny that Botty is comparing Frank posting a shirtless photo or two of himself to Xtincta posing for Maxim or the myriad of sexual promo Xtincta and Britney did when they debuted.

botty

Banned
Interesting that no one wants to address the fact that "Pyramids" is the only song that gets used off of Francis' beloved album.

iwWBptYt4UyWf.gif

Majmun

His album is shit, he is this years band wagon fad (along with Lana), and if I were lying people would at least bring up what makes his music so good... instead of constantly putting "Pyramids" on repeat. But alas, you faux-Francis stans can't even exert enough energy to pretend to like any of his other songs.

What a bunch of LIES

No everyone uses just Pyramids.

Sure, Thinking about You and Pyramids get a lot of mention, and that's because they're singles and very good to begin with.

But tracks like Sierra Leone, Sweet Life, Super Rich Kids, Pilot Jones, Crack Rock, Lost, Bad Reigion, Pink Matter and Forrest Gump are AMAZING also.

Wait....did I just mention 3/4 of his album? Yep, it's THAT good. And don't forget about his excellent Notalgia Mixtape.
People are still bopping to Novacane and Swim Good. They're classics and the Mixtape received a lot of praise and hype. And that was before his coming out...

You haters are just pressed and are definitely reaching now.

Though Second did like Pink Matter, and based on those hot women he has been with... I don't blame him.

Is this shade
icxhhZa99GNN3.gif

Koodo

Banned

2) Don't pretend like your fave's music isn't swimming in metaphor.
I'm not pretending, the problem here is you pretending otherwise.

Xtincta did not become known on the basis of her music any more than the publicity surrounding her subtle sluttiness and rivalry with Britney. Coming for Frank's bisexuality as his claim to fame as an Xtincta stan is the height of irony, and then pretending Xtincta didn't also break out due to the publicity surrounding her sexuality is the height of delusion.

And no, Reflection did not break her onto the scene. It was an important song for her, but the public sure as hell was asking WHO? until the aforementioned BOTTLE RUBBING dropped.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Interesting that no one wants to address the fact that "Pyramids" is the only song that gets used off of Francis' beloved album.

iwWBptYt4UyWf.gif

Interesting that you don't want to address the fact that Koodo said earlier he really likes Forrest Gump and you laughed it off with a gay comment.

iwWBptYt4UyWf.gif

Mumei

I'm not pretending, the problem here is you pretending otherwise.

Xtincta did not become known on the basis of her music any more than the publicity surrounding her subtle sluttiness and rivalry with Britney. Coming for Frank's bisexuality as his claim to fame as an Xtincta stan is the height of irony, and then pretending Xtincta didn't also break out due to the publicity surrounding her sexuality is the height of delusion.

And no, Reflection did not break her onto the scene. It was an important song for her, but the public sure as hell was asking WHO? until the aforementioned BOTTLE RUBBING dropped.

Indeed.

I don't know where these delusions that Christina wasn't using sex to sell from the very beginning are coming from. "But Britney was, too!" is not a comeback; the Britney stans aren't delusional about this particular fact.

botty

Banned
What a bunch of LIES

No everyone uses just Pyramids.

Sure, Thinking about You and Pyramids get a lot of mention, and that's because they're singles and very good to begin with.

But tracks like Sierra Leone, Sweet Life, Super Rich Kids, Pilot Jones, Crack Rock, Lost, Bad Reigion, Pink Matter and Forrest Gump are AMAZING also.

Wait....did I just mention 3/4 of his album? Yep, it's THAT good. And don't forget about his excellent Notalgia Mixtape.
People are still bopping to Novacane and Swim Good. They're classics and the Mixtape received a lot of praise and hype. And that was before his coming out...

You haters are just pressed and are definitely reaching now.

If you knew the name of all these songs without looking at iTunes, then color me impressed.

Is this shade
icxhhZa99GNN3.gif

No.

Indeed.

I don't know where these delusions that Christina wasn't using sex to sell from the very beginning are coming from. "But Britney was, too!" is not a comeback; the Britney stans aren't delusional about this particular fact.

Sex =/= Sexuality.

Britney and Christina were not known JUST for their image, but also their music. Frank Ocean is literally being headlined for his sexuality, and how he came out, and not for his music. There is a difference. I think certain people in here are just victimizing the situation, instead of addressing the facts being presented.

I'm trying to see where they are coming from. Is it because Frank Ocean, as a man, used his sexuality and got critical acclaim in return while Britney and Christina, as women, got lambasted for doing the same? You may have a point I would recognize if you said that instead of harping on about Frank using his coming out as a marketing ploy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom