• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT3| Geo Da Silva > nails on chalkboard > Taylor Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.

Partition

Banned
Visions: US Billboard 200 - 98

The Idler Wheel: US Billboard 200 - 3

i1LC9foYLrbD9.gif

stop sounding like a taylor stan
febreeze.gif

Nemesis_

Kerli lost all credibility with me when she yelped that Madonna was "one of the best ever songwriters that the world has EVER seen". This was at the MDNA release party.

She can take a seat along with her messy agenda.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Kerli lost all credibility with me when she yelped that Madonna was "one of the best ever songwriters that the world has EVER seen". This was at the MDNA release party.

She can take a seat along with her messy agenda.

I was going to google who this Kerli person was but I am guessing I shouldnt now

Also I see my impact on operationgaga
febreeze.gif

Kyon

Banned
I JUST moved from there in January... Back to Florida... A damn mess. Congrats. Gay Pride will be even more superior than ever

Majmun

Frank Vs Miguel can be a hard one. Both are extremely talented. But I prefer Frank's offerings so far. His songs are fresh and a bit more progressive IMO. Miguel can sound pretty basic in comparison. Especially when it comes to songwriting.

The Weeknd...not really into his music. He sounds like a kid

AND GET THOSE GRAMMY'S, FRANK

Poor botty
iEiV3P6jluOob.gif

-edit

I see Beysus got a nod too. It has become a tradition for the Grammy's
igEFBIwEuuNII.gif

Trigger

Frank Vs Miguel can be a hard one. Both are extremely talented. But I prefer Frank's offerings so far. His songs are fresh and a bit more progressive IMO. Miguel can sound pretty basic in comparison. Especially when it comes to songwriting.

AND GET THOSE GRAMMY'S, FRANK

Poor botty

Yeah, I don't see the appeal either. The Weekend is inferior to both Miguel and Frank.

Tomodachi

I second this. I only like High on This (via Ellie Godoulding's cover, and I think the original is much better like most of Ellie's covers tbh) but other than that he really sounds like a 14 years old and the album is pretty boring, like a bad James Blake.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
tumblr_m2ra2vPHNT1rt1sw0o1_500.gif

I hear the birds on the summer breeze, I drive fast
I am alone in the night
Been tryin' hard not to get into trouble, but I
I've got a war in my mind
So, I just ride
Just ride, I just ride, I just ride

SaintZ

tumblr_m2ra2vPHNT1rt1sw0o1_500.gif

I hear the birds on the summer breeze, I drive fast
I am alone in the night
Been tryin' hard not to get into trouble, but I
I've got a war in my mind
So, I just ride
Just ride, I just ride, I just ride
STAN HA and her ICONIC meme
and let's pray for a grammy nomination next year :(

Galang

Banned
I just realized Bjork/M83 were nominated. Hope one of them wins for alternative.

Would have never thought even five years i'd ever see M83 and the grammy's in the same sentence. Crazy how someone can blow up after such a long time.

Majmun

Aw, come here copycat
You’re my puppet
You know I love it
Aw, come here copycat
You can sit on my lap
Look at how it work babygirl
You could do it, you could do it
You you could do it, I did it already

What kind of BOP?
iiBlFhK59Oj57.gif

Artemisia

Banned
This review of Tulia's album

I am crying

It’s easily forgotten these days that The X Factor originally followed in the footsteps of Pop Idol by having a panel of ‘industry’ judges, with even Sharon Osborne ostensibly present due to her career in music management rather than her reality show celebrity. This began to change with the addition of Dannii Minogue to the panel in 2007 and, with Cheryl Cole’s weepy three-year reign, the role of the ‘celebrity judge’ was cemented. These days each series of the show is preceded by months of feverish speculation over which celebrities will be joining the panel. It’s fair to say, however, that Tulisa’s elevation to the role of judge in 2011 was rather unexpected. Still only in her early 20s, Tulisa was best-known as the passable female voice in the moderately successful (and rather ridiculous) N-Dubz but would have been completely unfamiliar to much of the Saturday night audience who enjoy X Factor as a melodramatic reality show rather than for its musical aspects. If X Factor was hoping to gain a degree of edge and youthful credibility, Tulisa had clearly paid attention to the star-making role the show had played in Cheryl Cole’s career. It’s almost a surprise, then, that it’s taken Tulisa so long to release the inevitable solo album.

Any expectations of this meaning an album that has had heart and soul poured into it quickly dissipate, unfortunately. Further following in the footsteps of Cheryl, this is truly wretched pop which exists only as an extension of a television personality. Clocking in at an inexplicably-lengthy 16 tracks, The Female Boss is more endurance test than anything else, with the strong sense of ‘will this do?’ The album begins hilariously, with Tulisa delivering self-help guff about “inner beauty” over a portentous piano backing before the climactic line: “She is (lengthy dramatic pause) A FEMALE BOSS." If such stabs at feminist sentiment are typical of many current female pop-stars, it’s still depressing that this female boss suffers from a paucity of imagination and ambition. Her feminism somewhat predictably manifests itself as a series of familiar songs about cheating boyfriends, having lots of money and going out a lot. It’s difficult to fathom how Tyga's turn on the grim Live It Up, wherein he boasts of “big titty girlfriends” and having “two by the leg, two bitches by the head", fits into all this.

Such bafflement is typical of an album which has almost no identity of its own, instead sounding like a calculated effort to target certain demographic markets. This has already produced success with the Number 1 single Young, an efficient but uninspired banger which couldn’t be more blatant in its attempts to ape Rihanna's We Found Love. Rihanna is a frequent reference point on the record, making it easy to understand why Tulisa allegedly balked at performing on the same episode of X Factor as the Bajan phenomenon. Steal My Breath Away, meanwhile, sounds not unlike a b-side by co-judge Nicole Scherzinger.

The dominance of target markets over actual inspiration is nowhere clearer than on the astoundingly terrible British Swag, which finds Tulisa caricaturing her own nationality to declare “I know you love my accent darling” and “’I’m all about my dollars but I specialize in pounds.” God knows why an American audience would care. The song sounds even more ill-judged when, three tracks later, the horrific Foreigner finds Tulisa singing “foreigner, what you come around here for?” while dropping references to bombs, hostages and demands with all the nuance of a frenzied Daily Mail editorial. The latter is one of three contributions from The Dream which are a long, long way from Umbrella or Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It). British ‘Godfather of Grime’ Wiley pops up on Visa, a woeful ode to Tulisa’s credit card which we can only hope he was paid handsomely for.

Given Tulisa’s repeated emphasis of her urban roots, it’s somewhat surprising to find legendary American power-ballad writer Diane Warren pop up with Counterfeit. It sounds rather like Beyoncé's Halo, if Halo was rubbish and performed by someone who’d been dragged in from the street. It sharply highlights the inadequacy of Tulisa’s blank, heavily auto-tuned and frankly painful vocals.

There are brief moments of interest: Skeletons plays against the notoriety of Tulisa’s sex-tape ‘scandal’ and finds her attacking the hypocrisy of those who condemn her. It’s not great but at least offers something more than the tired urban stereotypes which so dominate elsewhere. Kill Me Tonight is another club banger yet offers hedonism as a desperate effort to escape from an underlying anger. Given the well-documented difficulties Tulisa has had to overcome, it’s an intriguing effort. For the most part, however, The Female Boss is a cynical and dire product which invites the riposte: Tulisa, you’re fired.

I agree completely, and the line about comparing the album to an endurance test particularly resonated with me. I was pretty much done with the album 6 tracks in, and it was a struggle to make myself finish it.

I was so happy when I saw that Kelly got 4 noms! My fave is being recognized for such a great album, and it makes me so fricken happy. :D

I hope she wins all 4 of them. She needs to show them lessors how it's done.

Made my day. So excited. Hopefully she wins a couple.....the biggest obstacle could be a surge by Fun. who is in pretty much all the same categories as her.

royalan

Tamar was shitting on iTunes even before Gaga promo'd her. Let me listen to the snippet.

Yeah. Imagine my surprise when I woke up this morning and Tamar Braxton of all people was Top 5 on iTunes.

And the song is actually pretty good. Typical R&B, but quality typical R&B. She sounds JUST like Toni, though.

EDIT: That Gaga promo is helping though. She's #2 now and about to snatch that #1 spot.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Yeah. Imagine my surprise when I woke up this morning and Tamar Braxton of all people was Top 5 on iTunes.

And the song is actually pretty good. Typical R&B, but quality typical R&B. She sounds JUST like Toni, though.

EDIT: That Gaga promo is helping though. She's #2 now and about to snatch that #1 spot.

Agreed. It's very typical, but there is such a high quality to it. It's been a good year for quality R&B with Kaleidoscope Dream and Channel Orange, but she's the first of the females I can remember to drop something hot.

Purchased to support more quality R&B. It's a pretty good song.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom