• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT3| Geo Da Silva > nails on chalkboard > Taylor Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koodo

Banned
ikr

Channel Orange is a much more personal and heartfelt album.
Forrest Gump still gets to me. So deeply emotional and relatable.

iQ7ckFhYRrx1S.gif

Eh, still heads and shoulders above most of the R&B drudge released this year.
What is your TOP 10 R&B this year? I haven't been paying much attention to the genre lately and I feel like exploring.

Perhaps ROBIDO should get his dick off tumblr for a quick second and also do a TOP 10 R&B.

Galang

Banned
I liked Channel Orange the first listen... and then I tried to listen again and it felt like a complete snooze fest tbh. Looking back I'm actually surprised at all the hype.. even my least favorite mixtape by the Weeknd is more interesting to me to listen.

Ties

Banned
The only song that I can marginally tolerate on Channel ORANGE is Thinkin' Bout You.

I haven't given everything else a listen simply because I'm afraid of the dosage of melatonin it will give me. I'm open to listening to it in full one day though, but Miguel has been keeping my attention in regards to R&B at the moment. I've never really found Frank's music to be profound, honestly.

z63MU.gif

botty

Banned
I liked Channel Orange the first listen... and then I tried to listen again and it felt like a complete snooze fest tbh. Looking back I'm actually surprised at all the hype.. even my least favorite mixtape by the Weeknd is more interesting to me to listen.

The Weeknd and Miguel both put out superior R&B albums than Francis. What you will always see from the faux-Frank Ocean stans are this: "I love x song. Channel Orange slays."

It's just the band wagon jumping from one artist to the next.

Ties

Banned
I just realized she's not in the banner in the OP :(. Thanks for the link, never seen it.

Also this album made NO album of the year lists... :(
Santigold always gets paid dust by critics despite her material always delivering.

It's sad, Master of My Make Believe is one of my favorite albums. Disparate Youth is probably one of the best songs released this year. Surprised that it hasn't been given a nod or two but that's awards show noms for you!

Galang

Banned
The Weeknd and Miguel both put out superior R&B albums than Francis. What you will always see from the faux-Frank Ocean stans are this: "I love x song. Channel Orange slays."

I haven't even listened to Miguel's new album yet, but the first single I heard I liked way more than anything on Channel Orange. I have it bookmarked to listen to the whole thing. Should get around to it -_-

Santigold always gets paid dust by critics despite her material always delivering.

It's sad, Master of My Make Believe is one of my favorite albums. Disparate Youth is probably one of the best songs released this year. Surprised that it hasn't been given a nod or two but that's awards show noms for you!

Yeah, that's so weird. Her first album seemed to make a few year end lists and I thought this one was better too. And the first one was already amazing to me. The first one I remember a few sites like Pitchfork giving it a low score and then putting it at the top of their end of the year lists anyway. I wonder if she gets bothered by it.

Artemisia

Banned

keep seething, honey

believe whatever fantasy you make up in your head that will help you SIMMER DOWN.

royalan

Forrest Gump still gets to me. So deeply emotional and relatable.

iQ7ckFhYRrx1S.gif

What is your TOP 10 R&B this year? I haven't been paying much attention to the genre lately and I feel like exploring.

Perhaps ROBIDO should get his dick off tumblr for a quick second and also do a TOP 10 R&B.

Hmmm, I need time to come up with an actual ranking. I have yet to listen to all of The Weeknd's stuff.

But if you haven't listened to Elle Varner's album yet you can start there. Definitely in my Top 5 - along with Devotion and KD.

injurai

Banned
I just realized she's not in the banner in the OP :(. Thanks for the link, never seen it. I thought it said flopping ages in the description lol..

Also this album made NO album of the year lists... :(

It's on my list ;)

I'm proud of her for not writing music to get on the radio like what people want her to do. Incredible <3

Bladenic

YES stan for The Weeknd. We need to give him more promo. And Trilogy wasn't even a new album, it was his old stuff plus 3 new tracks. I can't wait for his first album to drop and punch Frank and Miguel outta the game.

Koodo

Banned

Master of My Make-Believe sounded like MIA with an iron deficiency. I didn't dislike the album though.

Galang

Banned
It's on my list ;)

That's good to know! :) You should post your list in the AOTY thread, she needs more love there! I saw you post on Kindred and it's one of my favorite EPs of the year too, but there were so many good EPs this year was hard to pick. A lot of the later albums are on my mind more so it has a lot of impact.

She made my list too :(

Although I do prefer her first album.

Hah I CTRL + F'ed for Santigold on the other thread and saw your name. Good listl! :)

injurai

Banned
That's good to know! :) You should post your list in the AOTY thread, she needs more love there! I saw you post on Kindred and it's one of my favorite EPs of the year too, but there were so many good EPs this year was hard to pick. A lot of the later albums are on my mind more so it has a lot of impact.

My list is like the first post in the AOTY thread, but its all work in progress. I just kinda listed what came to mind, and tried to not duplicate genres.

I realized I left so many candidates out.

Koodo

Banned
Hmmm, I need time to come up with an actual ranking. I have yet to listen to all of The Weeknd's stuff.

But if you haven't listened to Elle Varner's album yet you can start there. Definitely in my Top 5 - along with Devotion and KD.
Let me queue her up.

I went through the iTunes snippets of The Weeknd's album and I wasn't particularly impressed, though a full listen is required. I did like a lot that one song of his iTunes gave away for free once, Twenty-Eight.

Artemisia

Banned
everyone needs to shut up about miguel, frank ocean, and that instagram girl with the puffy lips. Understand that this masterpiece not being nominated for Album of the Year was the greatest injustice of the night.

SagjT.jpg

you may continue

121wqx1xeddh.gif

Galang

Banned
My list is like the first post in the AOTY thread, but its all work in progress. I just kinda listed what came to mind, and tried to not duplicate genres.

I realized I left so many candidates out.

Oh I see it now, completely missed it! Nice list, I actually listened to all those albums except for three - Parov, Two Fingers and Enei. Never heard of them actually, but I like the rest of your stuff so I'll check it out!

injurai

Banned
Oh I see it now, completely missed it! Nice list, I actually listened to all those albums except for three - Parov, Two Fingers and Enei. Never heard of them actually, but I like the rest of your stuff so I'll check it out!

Parov Stelar is the god of electroswing. My god did that album sweep me into a new world of music.

Two fingers is Amon Tobin's new side project, who happens to be my avatar and most respective artist of all time.

Enei is a DnB producer on the forefront of new innovative drum and bass. Most people aren't aware of just how beautifully thriving and mature that scene has become.

Mau ®

I didnt really get into Fionna's new album. Which surprised me considering Extraordinary Machine slayed me so hard when it came out.

I'll try it agaiN.

Galang

Banned
Parov Stelar is the god of electroswing. My god did that album sweep me into a new world of music.

Two fingers is Amon Tobin's new side project, who happens to be my avatar and most respective artist of all time.

Enei is a DnB producer on the forefront of new innovative drum and bass. Most people aren't aware of just how beautifully thriving and mature that scene has become.

Thanks for the descriptions. :) I'll check them out in the morning. Didn't know Two Fingers was Amon Tobin, he's definitely very talented. I wanted to see him with Holy Other this year, but none of my friends are into the same music and didn't feel like going by myself.

YAS. Exterminate ha

iqQZ8Pcchqghz.gif

I can't believe someone would make this lol

Koodo

Banned
Imagine if Artemess had gotten her grubby hands on Jessie Ware first.

The outcome would have been so much different.

ibq99hIp27rzcw.gif

Aguila

#ICONIC
I've been jamming to Kerli and Sky today.

My hew faves are coming for your hew faves, hopefully sooner rather than later.

We aaare the luucky ooooones.

Of whatever comes.

ieRRMNZtnlWyr.gif

royalan

I've been jamming to Kerli and Sky today.

My hew faves are coming for your hew faves, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Of whatever comes.

ieRRMNZtnlWyr.gif

Isn't Kerli that chick Gaga ripped off Once Upon a Several Times?

Mau ®

Yesterday I heard Sky Ferreira's Everything is Embarrasing.

What an amazing track. I hope whatever she does next is in that vein.

Aguila

#ICONIC
Isn't Kerli that chick Gaga ripped off Once Upon a Several Times?

I'm sure comparisons have been made, but I don't know too much about ha.
I've only just gotten into Kerli because of Zero Gravity and The Lucky Ones.

Yesterday I heard Sky Ferreira's Everything is Embarrasing.

What an amazing track. I hope whatever she does next is in that vein.

Did you listen to the video I posted a while back?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=mqGhSR0z1fw#t=4m36

I lav it ;____;

It's for her next album

royalan

I'm sure comparisons have been made, but I don't know too much about ha.
I've only just gotten into Kerli because of Zero Gravity and The Lucky Ones.

Ah yes. I remember this aged tea:

Pop Singer Kerli Lashes Out At Lady GaGa: &#8220;Stop Ripping Off Everything I Do&#8221;

When a newly yellow-haired Lady GaGa turned up to perform in Miami for her New Years Eve bash last night, she delighted fans of her fashion-forward thinking.
However, the same appearance rubbed Estonian pop princess Kerli completely the wrong way. The singer, also known for her daring fashion moves, posted an F bomb-laden status update to her official MySpace page, accusing GaGa of copying her edgy look.

&#8220;It&#8217;s kinda f*cking funny that Lady Gaga ALSO has yellow hair now,&#8221; a yellow-haired Kerli said in her status and mood update. &#8220;I wish she would f*cking stop ripping off everything I do. F*cking b*tch.&#8221;

Fans were quick to agree with the &#8220;Walking On Air&#8221; singer. &#8220;I hate how everyone says &#8216;Oh, Shes sooo unique&#8217; and sh*t but YOU are the unique one. Lady gaga is the rip off Kerli,&#8221; one fan said in a reply, sentiments shared by several others. Another came to GaGa&#8217;s defense, pointing out the hair color in question could be just a coincidence. &#8220;I&#8217;m pretty sure Lady Gaga isn&#8217;t copying you. Her style is a lot different from yours. Come on, yellow hair? Plenty of people have yellow hair.&#8221;

When the pop star isn&#8217;t calling others copy cats, she&#8217;s busy working on the follow-up to her stellar 2008 debut album, Love Is Dead.

Sauce

She then went on UStream to clarify her position:

So this morning I was reading the news and I saw that Lady GaGa also had yellow hair, and I&#8217;ve been doing so much to not look anything like her, and I feel like everything I do she&#8217;ll do two weeks later. I feel like I&#8217;m starting my next album cycle and I&#8217;m trying to look different so I wouldn&#8217;t get these comparisons, but it&#8217;s like every time I do something different and post the picture up on MySpace she&#8217;s also looking that way in two weeks time.

No disrespect because the thing she does visually and her styling&#8230; and she&#8217;s best friends with Alexander McQueen obviously I&#8217;m not competing with that, obviously I&#8217;m not competing with four number one hits. I&#8217;ve never really said anything in a pissed off kind of way because I didn&#8217;t wanna be that person who was like a nobody and was like screaming when somebody else was standing on top of the mountain and ruling the world, I&#8217;m nobody to talk, but this morning I was like&#8230;

I know she knows who I am and I&#8217;m good friends with some of the members of her team and it&#8217;s just a little much that I&#8217;m trying so hard to not look anything like her and she&#8217;ll just end up looking like me anyways so I just lost it for a second and called her a bitch and it was really immature of me and I know the world will take it in a completely wrong way because she&#8217;s on top and I&#8217;m not.

Some of these things I&#8217;ve been like &#8220;it&#8217;s a coincidence it&#8217;s a coincidence it&#8217;s a coincidence&#8221; , and then I&#8217;m like &#8220;you know what, this is not a coincidence anymore&#8221;, and obviously she&#8217;s taking her visuals to a next level because she&#8217;s got all this money behind her&#8230; Her fans come at me like I&#8217;m the copycat, I&#8217;m just tired and that&#8217;s the reason why I said it. Nobody knows who I am and she&#8217;s so big and I&#8217;ll just come across as some idiot who imagines these things, but me and everybody who&#8217;s been watching my career since I started know that I&#8217;m right.

Sauce

wlxsw.jpg

WCUWV.jpg

nwoTb.jpg

iSCyBZgEQFunz.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom