• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT3| Geo Da Silva > nails on chalkboard > Taylor Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who's talking about the quality of the music here? Well, obvious I think it's a completely overblown (boring shit) album, but I'm more or less discussing the guy's overall relevance. The conversation surrounding Frank Ocean seems to be about his sexuality and how brave his "coming out" was. This isn't something I'm concocting. It's becoming a pretty fair observation at this point, especially after things like that article Botty linked to that refers to Frank as a "rap superstar."

It's almost as if Frank's music is being praised because it HAS to be in order to fit the narrative. But I'll admit that I'm being very cynical with that.

Also sad that, since the comparison was made, I peeked at metacritic and noted that Miguel's brilliant album, while equally praised, has only been reviewed by 16 critics to Frank's 40+.

Both albums have been noted as high quality and genre-leading by the critics.

But one seems to get considerably more media attention. Wonder why that is...

Frank Ocean and Miguel are at two ends of the R&B spectrum. Miguel is going for a more sensual, Prince-like, earthy sound and Frank is more alternative, almost like The Weeknd.

I don't know why people are so pressed to compare them both.

Miguel's album missed the Grammy deadline period. By about a month. These people crying because it didn't get nominated need to have a seat until next year's noms.

royalan

Britney got popular at the same time and hardly had any raw talent.

Because Christina relied on the same methods of selling sex, there's no way to tell that she got attention only because of her voice, like Whitney and Mariah did (not sure about Mariah selling sex, but I think she was pretty modest in her early career?)

But there is. The proof is in the very moniker the haters use to drag her now: VOICE OF HER GENERATION.

I'm not denying that Christina had some sexual songs even going back to her debut, but you just weren't around if you think THAT'S the reason why she was popular and why she exploded.

Christina's great differentiator was her VOICE. Yes she also got attention for being pretty, but the primary discussion was her vocal talent and where it placed her among the greats. That there was even DISCUSSION about where she placed among the greats should tell you how important her singing talent was to her success.

Little kids on the middle school playground debating the merits of Britney vs Christina always relied on THIS argument: "Well, yeah Britney is a great performer, but Christina can SING."

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
iblvkLo0gKrYYE.gif

Unbelievable. Citing the fact that Xtina was getting grammy nominations and then flatly ignoring that Frank is getting the same by the end of the post. The delusion is staggering.

Artemisia

Banned
The media was equally as interested in Britney and Christina's #1 hits as they were their images. Might I add that Christina was gaining grammy noms before her album even released. So to say that her image was more important than her talent is ridiculous.

Stop lying. The media doesn't care about their MUSIC as much as the actual person behind it. Tabloids don't talk about music, they talk about people. E! news doesn't talk about music, they talk about people. Christina and Britney didn't make headlines for their actual music.

Both girls also had a bit of fame from Star Search, and the Mickey Mouse club. So it's not like their first major images were sexualized.

Good, keep offering more evidence to the fact that their music alone didn't propel them to fame.

But do tell me when the media starts acknowledging Frank Ocean for something besides his tumblr coming out party, so that I can stop observing it.

Do tell me when you will stop expecting things of Frank Ocean that you don't of your faves.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
gaga really pisses me off with her live vocals.

Sometimes she sounds great like at the 2009 VMAs, but if you watch some of her concert videos, she kinda slouches vocally. The discrepancy is annoying.
I was talking more about the song itself. Simply ICONIC.

Majmun

The media was equally as interested in Britney and Christina's #1 hits as they were their images. Might I add that Christina was gaining grammy noms before her album even released. So to say that her image was more important than her talent is ridiculous.

So to say that her image was more important than her talent is ridiculous.

So, a Grammy nomination equals talent?

Frank Ocean has 6 Grammy nominations
iblvkLo0gKrYYE.gif

Unbelievable. Citing the fact that Xtina was getting grammy nominations and then flatly ignoring that Frank is getting the same by the end of the post. The delusion is staggering.

Oh, I see I was late to the CLOCKING

RubyFaith

Did anyone see the video where Wendy Williams said Beyonce sounds like she has a 5th grade education and people are actually agreeing?

G1gOY.gif

Cynosure

I'm just pointing out how everything that you say about Frank is wrong, mis-informed, hypocritical, and every other possible synonym you may think off. But I know that won't stop you, carry on.

and I hope he never stops

your throbbing butthurt throughout the last few pages was a fun read lol

Arte sis it's useless. We should just follow DMJ's example and stop trying it with these baboons. I think if we and everyone just ignore the haters, especially Botty, then they'd go away, or something.

iblvkLo0gKrYYE.gif

I hate when people post this performance, so overrated. Its not even in her top 3 performances.

iblBd0bBYSIyhR.gif

Yeah its to the point where its classified differently.

When people liked her music:
1. Paparazzi 2009

When they didn't.
1.x
2.y
3.z
4.lotus

I mean. I love Gaga....but that love was bought and paid for Poker Face through Bad Romance. Haven't had more than passing enjoyment in her work since then. .....The glamour has gone....and thats what I loved about her.

royalan

I've dragged Wendy on occasion but she kinda has a point. Beyonce does come off a bit slow in serious interviews (did you guys watch that Larry King interview?). But hey...

Trigger

The Edge of Glory is the crown jewel of the BTW era. Such a strong song. I'm going to play it at least once during New Year's Eve.

botty

Banned
Stop lying. The media doesn't care about their MUSIC as much as the actual person behind it. Tabloids don't talk about music, they talk about people. E! news doesn't talk about music, they talk about people. Christina and Britney didn't make headlines for their actual music.

Good, keep offering more evidence to the fact that their music alone didn't propel them to fame.

Do tell me when you will stop expecting things of Frank Ocean that you don't of your faves.

Both of their debuts produced hits, so it's kind of hard to believe that the media would ignore their music... unlike Frank. I can't speak on Britney's 'talents,' but Xtina was definitely being praised for her voice and music, over her image. I also need to repeat that sexuality =/= sex. Frank Ocean is known more for his sexuality, than his music. Xtina and Britney were known more for there music, than there sexy image. Though I can not say I am surprised, considering you couldn't get away from their chart topping hits. On the flip side, you can not find Frank Oceans music on the radio, or on any playlist of the supposed Francis stans.

I don't expect Frank Ocean to ever be known for anything but... and as long as the media keeps reiterating that point, I will remain CORRECT.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Both of their debuts produced hits, so it's kind of hard to believe that the media would ignore their music... unlike Frank. I can't speak on Britney's 'talents,' but Xtina was definitely being praised for her voice and music, over her image. I also need to repeat that sexuality =/= sex. Frank Ocean is known more for his sexuality, than his music. Xtina and Britney were known more for there music, than there sexy image. Though I can not say I am surprised, considering you couldn't get away from their chart topping hits. On the flip side, you can not find Frank Oceans music on the radio, or on any playlist of the supposed Francis stans.

I don't expect Frank Ocean to ever be known for anything but... and as long as the media keeps reiterating that point, I will remain CORRECT.

screenshot2012-12-07asdped.png

You tried though. Boy did you try.

ijtM46VJuTQcq.gif

botty

Banned
No. Image is everything in commerical pop music. Image is what you are first and foremost known for.

I will agree with you to a certain extent. Lady Gaga's image was definitely at the forefront of her debut era, but to say Britney and Xtina's complete media coverage is based on a sexualized image is an exaggeration and false. The little media coverage Frank Ocean has managed to gather is based on his sexuality. I mean... if you want to call out one of my faves for something similar, bring up Nicki with the whole "bisexual" thing that hovered over her during her debut. That makes more sense than the straws you're reaching for.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I will agree with you to a certain extent. Lady Gaga's image was definitely at the forefront of her debut era, but to say Britney and Xtina's complete media coverage is based on a sexualized image is an exaggeration and false. The little media coverage Frank Ocean has managed to gather is based on his sexuality. I mean... if you want to call out one of my faves for something similar, bring up Nicki with the whole "bisexual" thing that hovered over her during her debut. That makes more sense than the straws you're reaching for.

And the fact that he's been nominated for six Grammys. It's weird that you keep forgetting this considering the number of times it's been pointed out.

Artemisia

Banned

There is nothing wrong with using a sexualized image. It's normal. I'm not slut shaming them.

But to come for frank ocean for the impossible to prove notion that he used his sexuality to be relevant does not make any sense. And even if it did, it would be completely hypocritical of you to mention it because you can make a very solid case for britney and xtina using sex to sell. And what they used to sell is what matters more here than what they are known for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom