• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT3| Geo Da Silva > nails on chalkboard > Taylor Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heat TV rihports Rihanna has gotten the word "Breezy" tatooed on ha and that she's asked her label for time off to have Bruises's baby.

This is obviously untrue. Rihanna IS releasing an album next year even with a baby on ha arms.

I'm Miss bad media karma
Another day another drama
Guess I can't see the harm
In working and being a mama
And with a kid on my arm
I'm still an exceptional earner

ibffnA5HGvW1xL.gif

Delio

The other two are fine but boring.....they feel like filler.

They should have found more interesting members. 1D doesn't have any pure duds (maybe Liam but he is one of their best singers which makes up for it)

Josh and JJ really need to do more to set themselves apart. So far it's only Jaymi and George making the effort.

Oh, not specifically pop, but Paramore's fourth album (which will be called just 'Paramore') is gonna be out on April 9th. Can't waitttttttt.

OMG Ready for more SLAYAGE from Queen Hayley.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Heat TV rihports Rihanna has gotten the word "Breezy" tatooed on ha and that she's asked her label for time off to have Bruises's baby.

This is obviously untrue. Rihanna IS releasing an album next year even with a baby on ha arms.

rihanna617o4i.gif

If she has his baby... I'll still stan her cause she stays releasing bops. She'll probably have the baby in the studio and then go back to recording her album. She's such a hard worker.

rihanna617o4i.gif

Artemisia

Banned
AALIYAH PLEASE,
THIS IS GREEN ENVY
WHY MUST YOU TAUNT ME, GIRL?

kbwjinvo.gif
kbwjinvo.gif

FRIDAY NEVER LETS ME DOWN
SO GRAB YOUR COAT, WE'RE GONNA HIT THE TOWN
BUT I JUST GOT PAID, I JUST GOT PAAAAAAAAAAAAID

azealiabanks-212atradyda8u.gif

3phemeral

She did lower it a bit, true. But until she gets her voice back in working order (which seems to be happening with each performance) I rather she did that than pull another Make The World Move and go for notes she knows she has no business attempting live.

You better borrow from that Mimi playbook girl!
I prefer she make music more suitable to her range, really. I don't know why she keeps inserting those belted F5s on her album tracks when she could never hit it properly (maybe twice in her debut).

As much as I would want to believe e her voice is getting to a better place, it doesn't seem likely when she's been lowering the key to songs long before this era: ANOM on VH1 storytellers, for one, even though she used to sing it in the original key without problem; Bound to You -- and now JAF. I guarantee you she will never have a performance of it in the original key. As of now, rather than switching the arrangement of the song, she ends up straining a belt of a lower note and punching it to sustain it.

I have similar complaints about mimi. But her improptu jazz performance and the Jimmy Fallon of AIWFC has her sounding the healthiest she's been in years.

I just realized I only post when vocalists are discussed. I need mimi, bey, and Gaga (semi-vocalist) to come out with albums soon. 2013 can't come soon enough.

royalan

I prefer she make music more suitable to her range, really. I don't know why she keeps inserting those belted F5s on her album tracks when she could never hit it properly (maybe twice in her debut).

As much as I would want to believe e her voice is getting to a better place, it doesn't seem likely when she's been lowering the key to songs long before this era: ANOM on VH1 storytellers, for one, even though she used to sing it in the original key without problem; Bound to You -- and now JAF. I guarantee you she will never have a performance of it in the original key. As of now, rather than switching the arrangement of the song, she ends up straining a belt of a lower note and punching it to sustain it.

I have similar complaints about mimi. But her improptu jazz performance and the Jimmy Fallon of AIWFC has her sounding the healthiest she's been in years.

I just realized I only post when vocalists are discussed. I need mimi, bey, and Gaga (semi-vocalist) to come out with albums soon. 2013 can't come soon enough.

We'll see. I still hear room for improvement when she performs, especially today. If she puts in the work, I think she could easily get back to where she was during the BTB Tour, for example.

Besides, JAF was only taken down a half step, and that one note in the chorus is the only time she really NEEDED that. I still have hope. ;__;

Btw, I think you guys are vastly overrating that Mimi jazz performance. It was GOOD, but not amazing. Not like she was hitting sustained upper-belts throughout.

The thing I was impressed most about in that performance was her lower register and impromptu scatting, tbh.

Mumei

As much as I would want to believe her voice is getting to a better place, it doesn't seem likely when she's been lowering the key to songs long before this era: ANOM on VH1 storytellers, for one, even though she used to sing it in the original key without problem; Bound to You -- and now JAF. I guarantee you she will never have a performance of it in the original key. As of now, rather than switching the arrangement of the song, she ends up straining a belt of a lower note and punching it to sustain it.

In fairness, Whitney and Mariah also often lowered the key. Even in performances where they went for higher notes it was often in the context of a performance where the key was lowered. Half the reason why Mariah has hardly any G5s live is because she typically sang her songs half a step down so any G5s became F#5s.

Btw, I think you guys are vastly overrating that Mimi jazz performance. It was GOOD, but not amazing. Not like she was hitting sustained upper-belts throughout.

The thing I was impressed most about in that performance was her lower register and impromptu scatting, tbh.

I don't think we're overrating it - or perhaps I'm not rating it as highly as you think I am (or maybe 3phy over there is rating it more highly than I do). I think that for a lot Mariah fans in recent years there's always been this air of suspicion about any apparent vocal improvements - there's almost this cynical presumption that if we hear improvement it is either lipping or singing to a backing track. The jazz performance showed that at least some of her apparent improvement in vocal health (e.g. a healthier mid-range, ability to sing long phrases in full voice, not running out of breath while singing falsetto phrases, actually stringing together notes in a legato fashion instead of that staccato nonsense she was doing to cover for her loss of flexibility for a few years).

I feel like the AIWFCIY performance is sort of similar. I think it actually shows a lot of the decline of her instrument as well; her voice has obviously declined in its natural size and tone even from eleven years ago (compare), but it still showed that she was able to hit the E5s live (even though a few were strained / scratchy) and project comfortably through the din, even though she no longer is capable of producing quite the same volume.

3phemeral

I was more impressed with the jazz perf. for the reasons you stated; however, I also noticed how her transitions from the lower to upper registers were buttery smooth. But thank your for reminding me she had no sustained belts. Even the Christmas time Is In the Air belt was only an A4. ;_;

In fairness, Whitney and Mariah also often lowered the key. Even in performances where they went for higher notes it was often in the context of a performance where the key was lowered. Half the reason why Mariah has hardly any G5s live is because she typically sang her songs half a step down so any G5s became F#5s.

Mariah: Queen of F5s!

Mumei

Mariah has always emphasized phrasing at a high tessitura over sustained high notes, though. How many times can you think of that she sustained a note E5 or higher live for at least one second? It just is not something she typically did.

Styles

The LORD's RED album is my AOTY 2012.

I've been listening to it all day. Still slays me. *.*

Last week's numbers:

6 BGMA 2 2 2 SWIFT*TAYLOR RED 136,545 -26 185,391 2,215,542

This week's prediction:

YOUR TOP 15: Taylor Swift is no stranger to the #1 chart position, and she'll be returning to that familiar perch next week, with Wiz Khalifa and the holiday-suave Rod Stewart duking it out for #2. Here's how things look as the weekend beckons:

Taylor Swift (Big Machine) 155-165k

- 4th week at number 1 on the Billboard 200 chart.
- Red sold 3 million copies worldwide in 6 weeks.
- 2.2 million in the US, 800k WW

7 20 15 11 SWIFT*TAYLOR I KNEW YOU WERE FLAWLESS. 81,065 -7 86,715 942,541

- IKYWT goes platinum next week

And let me stan for ATW

And maybe we got lost in translation
Maybe I asked for too much
But maybe this thing was a masterpiece
´til you tore it all up
Running scared, I was there, I remember it all too well

Hey you called me up again just to break me like a promise
So casually cruel in the name of being honest
I'm a crumbled up piece of paper lying here
Cause I remember it all all all too well

That build-up during the bridge is everythinG.

iWehgjqssHChZ.gif

SotY 2014.

3phemeral

Mariah has always emphasized phrasing at a high tessitura over sustained high notes, though. How many times can you think of that she sustained a note E5 or higher live for at least one second? It just is not something she typically did.
Yeah, my bf hates mimi and always complains how she never sustains high belts with vibrato like Whitney's. So I went through her performances and couldn't find many, other than her EoM era where she attempted to sustain C5s like she did for her Thanksgiving Special, and we all know how long that lasted.

royalan

I noticed this while we were watching that diva showdown video in the superior Vocalists DJ room. Even in her heyday when she was busting out 19 second belts she usually threw in elaborate flourishes and coloratura instead of hitting a single sustained note.

EDIT: my favorite of these is the "Lead The Way" finale. Like a BOSS.

Mumei

Yeah, my bf hates mimi and always complains how she never sustains high belts with vibrato likes Whitney's. So I went through her performances and couldn't find many, other than her EoM era where she attempted to sustain C5s like she did for her Thanksgiving Special, and we all know how long that lasted.

She does have sustained high notes; Anytime You Need A Friend, If It's Over, Vision of Love, Fantasy, I Don't Wanna Cry, Someday, Joy to the World, I'll Be There, Make It Happen, and Make it Happen again, and I Stay In Love - though they are much less common than they are in studio, she doesn't sustain them as long as Whitney, and she usually eschews vibrato.

I noticed this while we were watching that diva showdown video in the superior Vocalists DJ room. Even in her heyday when she was busting out 19 second belts she usually threw in elaborate flourishes and coloratura instead of hitting a single sustained note.

EDIT: my favorite of these is the "Lead The Way" finale. Like a BOSS.

Well, I think it is partially a quirk of her always taking it easy live relative to studio. She's significantly better there; compare Prisoner, There's Got To Be A Way, I Don't Wanna Cry, Outside, Just To Hold You Once Again, Sent From Up Above, Anytime You Need A Friend, AYNAF Soul Convention, and So Blessed and So Blessed again

cory64

Agreed. She pulled a Beyonce with that.

Maybe it's because I know the original tracks ( and I love Set It Off), but I hate when Diplo takes old tracks and thinks just adding vocals on top makes them new again. His beats are rarely made for vocals and it's apparent. Katy B and Iggy just don't FIT.

I love when he makes fresh beats for collabs tho. Push and Shove, for instance.

Diplo doesn't have a production credit on Run The World.

Christopher

I'm looking for two gifs that we haven't used in awhile and I saw two perfect opportunities to use them. Does anyone know where that pressed girl is who's chewing the gum hard? Also Whitney actin like a diva at the award show interview?

I had solid usage today of them lol. I totally was in the precisent today and cracked up at Leona's drag of cyno lol

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
I'm looking for two gifs that we haven't used in awhile and I saw two perfect opportunities to use them. Does anyone know where that pressed girl is who's chewing the gum hard? Also Whitney actin like a diva at the award show interview?

I had solid usage today of them lol. I totally was in the precisent today and cracked up at Leona's drag of cyno lol

iBD6RrSaWM6vi.jpg

Idk what Whitney one you are talking about

Christopher

Marius she's at this award show an she's getting interviewed and she stops and pits her hand up lol

Yes that's the presse girl where has she been!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom