• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT3| Geo Da Silva > nails on chalkboard > Taylor Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
I'm very annoyed right now because I know exactly what gif you're referring to and I can't find it! lol

I know which one too now, but it looks like my minus delete it
I see the folder but there is no gif inside of it

iIU1WcKZo01zB.gif

Edit: Re-uploaded

i1g0xpkLeIOAa.gif

3phemeral

She does have sustained high notes; Anytime You Need A Friend, If It's Over, Vision of Love, Fantasy, I Don't Wanna Cry, Someday, Joy to the World, I'll Be There, Make It Happen, and Make it Happen again, and I Stay In Love - though they are much less common than they are in studio, she doesn't sustain them as long as Whitney, and she usually eschews vibrato.

Yeah, his point was that she couldn't hold them without adding some flourish to the note, and we all know Mimi and her fantastically flawless flourishes. He doesn't count notes that aren't longer than a few seconds and vibrato is the ultimate requirement - he doesn't really care for how high the note is, so long as it's fairly powerful, sustained, and with vibrato. I just never noticed myself because the musicality of her runs are perfection.
ifrQ1cjjoxDxw.gif

Mumei

Yeah, his point was that she couldn't hold them without adding some flourish to the note, and we all know Mimi and her fantastically flawless flourishes. He doesn't count notes that aren't longer than a few seconds and vibrato is the ultimate requirement - he doesn't really care for how high the note is, so long as it's fairly powerful, sustained, and with vibrato. I just never noticed myself because the musicality of her runs are perfection.
ifrQ1cjjoxDxw.gif

Right, but adding flourishes to a sustained vocal line can be harder than not. I don't think there's any "can't" here; if you can sustain a vocal line that is above E5 with resonance and support for 20 seconds, you should be able to do it with sustained belt. I can see why he prefers Whitney for that (she has really intense, fast vibrato)

But give him this and tell him to stop complaining.

DMeisterJ

Banned
I always thought Whitney was dragging the reporter for filth in that .gif but she was just talking about Clive Davis and how amazing he is or something and then went inside. I kinda like how we put our own spin on what .gifs mean tho.

3phemeral

Right, but adding flourishes to a sustained vocal line can be harder than not. I don't think there's any "can't" here; if you can sustain a vocal line that is above E5 with resonance and support for 20 seconds, you should be able to do it with sustained belt. I can see why he prefers Whitney for that (she has really intense, fast vibrato)

Even her epic remix vocals won't save him. :) He thinks she sounds like a raspy-voiced boy. It wasn't until later on that I realized that no matter what requirement she would fulfill, he still would not care for it.
inwkAArbuwXBd.png

And for sure, adding flourishes requires more vocal flexibility provided they're melodically controlled. Sometimes singers can resort to a run when they can't hold a note.

royalan

It's true. Adding flourishes to a sustained belt requires a lot more air and CONTROL than just holding a sustained note. ESPECIALLY the way Primeriah liked to do them. Starting off with a solid mid chest belt, suddenly swelling into her upper register, running up into an even higher sustained note, holding that, descending run, finishing off with a nice trill or falsetto note. Accept the applause. Mariah

B-Dex

Currently watching Pikmin move my stuff to my new XL that came with MK7 pre-installed.
which I have to redownload after transfer...
90% larger swap note inc.

Roy are you at the club EVERY night?

royalan

Currently watching Pikmin move my stuff to my new XL that came with MK7 pre-installed.
which I have to redownload after transfer...
90% larger swap note inc.

Roy are you at the club EVERY night?

Lol - not every night. Just Tuesdays and some Saturdays for work. Tonight is an oddball.

LOL - DJ started playing an Ellie mix and o e of the bartenders complained. We're now listening to a Sia dance mix.

Mumei

Even her epic remix vocals won't save him. :) He thinks she sounds like a raspy-voiced boy. It wasn't until later on that I realized that no matter what requirement she would fulfill, he still would not care for it.

And for sure, adding flourishes requires more vocal flexibility provided they're melodically controlled. Sometimes singers can resort to a run when they can't hold a note.

Your boyfriend is incorrigible. But I'll give him credit for liking Whitney, I suppose. I have been stanning Whitney more than Mariah for a bit recently, anyway. I go back and forth on them, though. I feel like they both have a lot of overlapping strengths and it's just a matter of where one is stronger, and they both have relatively few weaknesses, so they essentially tie when you look at everything from phrasing to dynamics to supported range to stamina to control to tonal consistency to projection to resonance to musicianship to ease to agility and so on and so forth.

But I still think Whitney unquestionably has the superior instrument if you compare them note-by-note side-by-side, even if holistically as vocalists they tie.

It's true. Adding flourishes to a sustained belt requires a lot more air and CONTROL than just holding a sustained note. ESPECIALLY the way Primeriah liked to do them. Starting off with a solid mid chest belt, suddenly swelling into her upper register, running up into an even higher sustained note, holding that, descending run, finishing off with a nice trill or falsetto note. Accept the applause. Mariah

Yes, indeed.

royalan

Your boyfriend is incorrigible. But I'll give him credit for liking Whitney, I suppose. I have been stanning Whitney more than Mariah for a bit recently, anyway. I go back and forth on them, though. I feel like they both have a lot of overlapping strengths and it's just a matter of where one is stronger, and they both have relatively few weaknesses, so they essentially tie when you look at everything from phrasing to dynamics to supported range to stamina to control to tonal consistency to projection to resonance to musicianship to ease to agility and so on and so forth.

But I still think Whitney unquestionably has the superior instrument if you compare them note-by-note side-by-side, even if holistically as vocalists they tie.

Yes, indeed.

#TeamMimi

Sorry Whitney. Love you, but only Mariah could give me cheesy ballads AND club bangers on the same album.

Koodo

Banned
ATRL said:
MEDIABASE RADIO UPDATES

TOP 20
1. RIHANNA - Diamonds: 183.329 (+ 0.194)
2. BRUNO MARS - Locked Out Of Heaven: 176.300 (+ 1.836)
3. KE$HA - Die Young: 166.129 (- 0.317) ▲
4. MAROON 5 – One More Night: 165.092 (- 2.890) ▼
5. NE-YO - Let Me Love You: 141.331 (- 0.354)
6. FUN. – Some Nights: 118.707 (- 1.406)
7. FLO RIDA - I Cry: 113.732 (+ 1.084)
8. LUMINEERS - Ho Hey: 111.801 (+ 2.564)
9. PHILLIP PHILLIPS – Home: 96.458 (+ 0.181)
10. MIGUEL - Adorn: 94.262 (+ 0.856) ▲
11. ALEX CLARE – Too Close: 92.958 (- 1.977) ▼
12. CHRIS BROWN – Don’t Wake Me Up: 78.004 (- 1.553)
13. JUSTIN BIEBER - Beauty And A Beat f/N. Minaj: 75.720 (+ 1.604) ▲
14. ED SHEERAN - The A Team: 75.353 (+ 0.378) ▼
15. PINK - Try: 71.146 (+ 1.774) ▲
16. PINK – Blow Me (One Last Kiss): 70.915 (- 0.467) ▼
17. NICKI MINAJ - Va Va Voom: 70.700 (- 0.022) ▼
18. FLORIDA-GEORGIA LINE - Cruise: 66.902 (+ 0.042) ▲
19. JUSTIN BIEBER – As Long As You Love Me: 66.768 (- 1.739) ▼
20. KANYE WEST - Clique f/Big Sean & JAY-Z: 61.167 (- 0.983)

OUTRAS
JUSTIN MOORE - 'Til My Last Day: 60.212 (+ 0.405)
TAYLOR SWIFT – We Are Never Ever Getting…: 59.722 (- 2.367)
KIP MOORE - Beer Money: 57.055 (+ 0.499)
SWEDISH HOUSE MAFIA - Don't You Worry Child: 53.561 (+ 1.305)
ALICIA KEYS - Girl On Fire: 48.843 (- 0.106)
ONEREPUBLIC – Feel Again: 47.970 (- 0.638)
TAYLOR SWIFT - I Knew You Were Trouble: 42.199 (+ 2.867)
KELLY CLARKSON - Catch My Breath: 38.565 (+ 0.650)
MARIAH CAREY - All I Want For Christmas Is...: 37.442 (+ 1.203)
TAYLOR SWIFT - Begin Again: 37.281 (- 0.242)
THE BAND PERRY - Better Dig Two: 37.203 (+ 0.656)
MUMFORD & SONS – I Will Wait: 32.907 (+ 0.128)
THE SCRIPT - Hall Of Fame f/will.i.am: 31.841 (+ 0.336)
CALVIN HARRIS - Sweet Nothing f/Florence Welch: 31.221 (+ 1.187)
MAROON 5 - Daylight: 20.590 (+ 1.456)
MUSE – Madness: 20.103 (+ 0.104)
WILL.I.AM & BRITNEY SPEARS - Scream And Shout: 19.762 (+ 1.980)
ONE DIRECTION - Little Things: 16.775 (+ 0.979)
CARRIE UNDERWOOD - Two Black Cadillacs: 15.870 (+ 0.560)

Curiosidades:
CHER LLOYD - Oath f/Becky G: 10.380
TAMAR BRAXTON - Love And War: 3.957 (+ 0.295)
50 CENT - My Life f/Eminem & Adam Levine: 3.956 (+ 0.108)
C. AGUILERA & B. SHELTON - Just A Fool: 1.864 (+ 0.123)
GIRLS ALOUD - Something New: 0.011
UM...

GIRLS ALOUD - Something New: 0.011
What in the world.
f58a8b71.gif

Nemesis_

Aren't these US updates? As much as Something New slays it should come as no surprise that it's not charting anywhere there.

In other surprising news, my local CD store has TEN in stock.

Majmun

C. AGUILERA & B. SHELTON - Just A Fool: 1.864 (+ 0.123)

Come oooonnnn, the song is great IMO. Why isn't it doing better?

The Ellen performance was also pretty good. Something is going on. Is it doing better on the iTunes chart?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Aren't these US updates? As much as Something New slays it should come as no surprise that it's not charting anywhere there.

In other surprising news, my local CD store has TEN in stock.
What a BLESSEDT CD store.

I trust you have your copy already.

Koodo

Banned
That it's even charting at all is impressive. There doesn't seem to be any plans to release the single in North America.

What in local hell is happening here.
f58a8b71.gif

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
*rihanus' forehead taking up half the page*

Too drunk and not here for this.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
That it's even charting at all is impressive. There doesn't seem to be any plans to release the single in North America.

What in local hell is happening here.
f58a8b71.gif
Third Wave British Invasion tbh.

I am still considerinG it. :3

It's an Australia wide chain too.
You should have been considering it before you saw it on sale, sis.

They're playing an Azealia Banks megamix in the club right now...

reluctantbopping.gif
Drag ha inept management all you want sis, even pressedt cunts cannot deny that Azealia's music shits.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I don't really use all of their songs, tbh. If I give it a few more listens through streams I might give it a go.

Most of THE SATURDAYS stuff is more appealing to me, tbh

is7JnlIFqOrxw.gif

I like you, so I'll pretend I didn't read this filth.

You should buy it anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom