• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT3| Geo Da Silva > nails on chalkboard > Taylor Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trigger

Youtube's new format is gross, but White Horse is a real sultry bop. Why can't I stop twerking?

A serious question though - were the Grammys ever a prestigious award?

Have they slowly drifted away from actual merit-based awards to more of a contractual cash cow between the record companies and the committees?

I'm genuinely interested to hear what people have to say.

The Grammys are still quite prestigious. The show always lands really legendary performers and it's very respected in the American music industry. There's been allegations of people paying for awards though, and I've always personally felt that they are slow to recognize real up and coming artists.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Just finished Katy B's Danger EP

Thanks for posting, cosmic bus and godels *.*

The EP is really good. I'm loving all the tracks. This is going to get some heavy rotation this year.
Thank Cosmic Bus! I only posted the actual link to make it more obvious.

The Nicki Minaj snub at the Grammys is so hilarious. She put out a shit album with shit singles and did like shit. She tried to do pop but wasn't recognized for her pop, she tried to do rap, and wasn't recognized for that either. She a joke, but the sad part is she doesn't understand how much of a joke she is. Her delusional beliefs that she's taken seriously is funny. She must constantly be in pain.
The thing is...she's a good rapper. She shit on Kanye, Jay Z and Rick Ross on Monster. Do hiphop fans just not like her or what?

royalan

Have they slowly drifted away from actual merit-based awards to more of a contractual cash cow between the record companies and the committees?

Before they became overly concerned with ratings and remaining relevant in this fast moving industry they definitely had more integrity.

One just has to look at how few Grammys some acts who are now considered undeniable legends and major influences have (Whitney, Mariah), versus newer acts who were able to beat their number in just a handful of years despite not contributing nearly as much (Rihanna, Beyonce).

Oh, and Chris Brown.

Trigger

The thing is...she's a good rapper. She shit on Kanye, Jay Z and Rick Ross on Monster. Do hiphop fans just not like her or what?

She went for them Gaga dollars and lost credibility in the process. People who would be open to her as a rapper see her as a pop girl now, and I think most pop listeners think of her as a rapper. The Hip-Hop audience is fickle and image is important.

Having a couple good raps on features doesn't change the fact that anytime she tries to rap on her own songs it sounds like demonic clown shit. When there's so much better, more consistent rappers, is it any wonder why rap fans abandoned her.

Trigger

Lordt I just got to Got Paid on the Katy B mixtape.

Friday never lets me down
So grab your coat
we're gonna hit the town
Girl I just got paaaaaid
I just got paaaaid

ipxfRIwwjSup9.gif

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_

Last year 4 was snubbed from being nominated for Best R&B Album and guess who won that award

cbGrammyAward.jpg

DMeisterJ

Banned
Here's the thing tho:

If the Grammys are no longer prestigious, then how come those worthy of prestige don't even clock any? Like if they're worthless and just giving them away, is Nicki so awful that she isn't worthy of just being given a worthless Grammy?

That's the real kii, then

Majmun

Naomi Ruiz is a trans???

I just actually watched the White Horse video, instead of just listening to the music...

Galang

Banned
Having a couple good raps on features doesn't change the fact that anytime she tries to rap on her own songs it sounds like demonic clown shit. When there's so much better, more consistent rappers, is it any wonder why rap fans abandoned her.

Lol this is the only reason I pay her mind. She sounds like she's legitimately crazy person. Demonic clown is the perfect description for her. If she puts out an album full of weird hip-hop songs like Come on A Cone it will probably be one of my favorite albums ever.

Delio

X Factor boyband Union J have signed a new Management deal with Louis Walsh.

In a shock move, Jaymi, JJ, George and Josh have parted ways with Blair Dreelan, who put the band - originally called Triple J and without member George - together.

Louis has spent weeks telling viewers Union J are "the next big boyband" and believes he can work the same magic that he cast over his previous groups Westlife, Boyzone and Girls Aloud.

A source, close to another of this year's X Factor acts, told Celebritain "Louis is so excited about Union J, he genuinely believes they can be as big as One Direction and The Wanted but he needs control over them; having another Manager involved just wouldn't work".

The band are set to confirm the news offically this weekend.

There first single better be a BOP if they want to get big. ( selling more than the Wanted is no feat however.)

Mumei

The Nicki Minaj snub at the Grammys is so hilarious. She put out a shit album with shit singles and did like shit. She tried to do pop but wasn't recognized for her pop, she tried to do rap, and wasn't recognized for that either. She a joke, but the sad part is she doesn't understand how much of a joke she is. Her delusional beliefs that she's taken seriously is funny. She must constantly be in pain.

The incompetent are generally not aware of their own incompetence, unfortunately.

Galang

Banned
^ I love this GIF. Even though Nicki wasn't recognized for her rap or her album, the only songs that did get praise happened to be her rap songs. I hope she really takes the hint because she is not suited for pop at all. She tried it and it didn't work so if her third album isn't hip-hop focused like she's planning then she really is even more delusional than I already thought possible for her.

At this point I'm not sure anyone can really take her seriously regardless... not that they really did before, but when she came out originally a lot of people were intrigued by her. The monster verse notably had people excited for her album, even though Kanye helped her with it.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
PSY is done:

'Kill Those F---ing Yankees': PSY's Anti-U.S. Past Surfaces

At a 2002 concert staged in opposition to 37,000 U.S. troops stationed on the Korean Peninsula, Mediaite reports, PSY took to the stage in gold face paint and a glittery red outfit, then lifted a model U.S. tank over his head before smashing it to pieces on the ground. The performance was a response to the death of two Korean school girls, killed in an accident with an American military vehicle, according to Korean website BusanHaps.com.

Then, two years later, a South Korean missionary was executed in Iraq -- a revenge killing for the country's support of the U.S. war in Iraq. During a protest concert, PSY rapped on the song "Dear American," "Kill those f---ing Yankees who have been torturing Iraqi captives/Kill those f---ing Yankees who ordered them to torture/Kill their daughters, mothers, daughters-in-law and fathers/Kill them all slowly and painfully."

#oops
ibeOBLGZW1X8zw.gif

Galang

Banned
^ Crazy the stuff people can dig up. I don't think it'll do much.. the likelyhood of him getting another smash regardless is like 1%.

There first single better be a BOP if they want to get big. ( selling more than the Wanted is no feat however.)

We will see. I watched a few performances.....they were good but I am not 100% sold.

All it takes is one hit song though....

Hope they come out with something fast. I am sooo out of things to talk about right now.

(they do any fun interviews lately?)

botty

Banned
Nicki Minaj does rap:

• #1 Album
  • 300k+ First week sales
  • Platnium album
  • Instantly punches every other female rapper out of the game.

Nicki Minaj does pop:

• #1 Album
  • Makes billboard history with "Starships"
  • Most featured artist of 2012
  • Certified platinum

Nicki's networth as of 2012: 14 million

And she hasn't even cashed her American Idol check yet.

iSPAuwop6tqw2.gif

Galang

Banned

Lol makes sense actually. How popular was he in Korea before this anyway?

Nicki Minaj does rap:

• #1 Album
  • 300k+ First week sales
  • #1 single
  • Platnium album
  • Instantly punches every other female rapper out of the game.

Nicki Minaj does pop:

• #1 Album
  • Makes billboard history with "Starships"
  • Most featured artist of 2012
  • Certified platinum

Nicki's networth as of 2012: 14 million

And she hasn't even cashed her American Idol check yet.

http://i.minus.com/iSPAuwop6tqw2.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

How much is Kim worth? Also most featured artist of 2012 sounds kind of shady considering she apparently admitted she kind of rushed her album. -_-

Delio

We will see. I watched a few performances.....they were good but I am not 100% sold.

All it takes is one hit song though....

Hope they come out with something fast. I am sooo out of things to talk about right now.

Seriously, I need something new. Where is the Wanted with their flop selfs? Even a new single by them would be SOMETHING.

btw I'll give the Little things video one thing. That solo Niall has with his staring at the screen gave me such feels.

in 2 years, he'll be as relevant as Leona Lewis is now
Your fave's latest turd is making Bionic look like 21. Leona has released Glassheart in exactly two countries, while Xtincta is floundering everywhere, even in her home country where she has an audience of 10 million+ viewers twice a week, every week.

Who ever thought JLo would do what Xtincta can't?

Fat-Christina-Aguilera.jpg

Sit.

Seriously, I need something new. Where is the Wanted with their flop selfs? Even a new single by them would be SOMETHING.

btw I'll give the Little things video one thing. That solo Niall has with his staring at the screen gave me such feels.

Rofl.....I don't think I ever made it more than a minute into that video.

Trigger

Is it just me or does Christina actually look skinnier in that Ellen appearance? Maybe it's just the hair. Either way I liked it.

LOLLL woww perfection, now if only Kim would release an album..

Yeah. I would hope so, but she's been so messy lately. Every photo I see of her looks worse and worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom