• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT3| Geo Da Silva > nails on chalkboard > Taylor Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mau ®

The Diamonds music video is being SHOT right now. It apparently involves a city FIRE and Rih looking flawless, as per.

The video is directed by the director of "Only Girl (in Pop)" and "Man Down" *.*

189067_420476764674371_1060400299_n.jpg

17113_420472931341421_1700092715_n.jpg

KHEKHFWQOIHFENROIGERLJE THIS WILL SLAY!!!!

Artemisia

Banned
Edit: terrible. Y'all call yourselves Stans and don't buy albums. That is not what a Stan is dismissed. I expect iTunes/Paypal receipts by tomorrow

Screen%20Shot%202012-10-22%20at%2012.18.46%20AM.png

I am not fucking paying 14.99 for a digital album I can buy physically on amazon for 10 bucks.

ik3talg2of7rcamfy4.gif

royalan

In Celebration of the release of Taylor Swift's album RED, I decided to highlight some better music by better people that has been released recently.

Today's Theme: Pop/R&B Outliers

k2MWH.png

Artist: Diplo
Album: Express Yourself
But It Whores: iTunes|Amazon

First thing's first: hands off, you thirsty trollops. This here be MY baby-daddy.

Most of you probably already know who this sexy man is but, for those who don't, meet Diplo - DJ, 1/2 of the Major Lazer duo, the man who put MIA on the map, and Pussy-Pop extraordinaire.

Diplo has been around for years, but unlike DJs like David Guetta, Calvin Harris, Skrillex and newcomer Zedd - who all go for anthemic, sweeping, jump-up-and-down-like-an-idiot beats, Diplo's production has one purpose and one purpose only: to make dat pussy pop and dat ass clap with precision.

And nowhere is this more apparent than his most recent effort, Express Yourself. With pulsating bass, frantic handclaps, attention-grabbing synths/sirens and fierce vocal samples, Diplo's production is like the musical equivalent of Gerard Piqué's penis: big and hard-hitting. There's a little bit of dubstep, a little bit of New Orleans Bounce in the title track, a lot of moombahton, and a whole lot of pussy pop. I played this EP all the way through the for the first time recently while cleaning my house and, GURLS, my body HURT by the end of it.

Diplo has been a darling of the DJ scene for a while now, and really doesn't have to prove himself at all. He's one of the best. But part of me really wants him to team up with a hot pop starlet who can take his production to the next level of world recognition. Dude deserves it.

Standouts: Express Yourself, Butters Theme, Set It Off.

M8ukU.png

Artist: Elle Varner
Album: Perfectly Imperfect

I thought to bring up Elle Varner because of all the praise (???) in this thread for Beyonce's album "4". In fact, between Beyonce, Frank Ocean, and even seemingly unlikely (read: white) candidates like Jessie Ware and Lana Del Rey, R&B (or, rather, Pop with a bit of R&B flavor) is on the come up.

Which is a good thing, because newcomer Elle Varner's debut album Perfectly Imperfect is coming for Jessie Ware's wig when it comes to my favorite R&B album of the year
And it's certainly better than 4

The lead single from the album, "Refill", has to contain the catchiest hook (that isn't completely obnoxious, sorry Taylor) that I've heard all year. Trust me, you'll have "I feel like the girl at the bar who's been there too long. Can't stand up." and the chorus stuck in your head. Good luck trying to sing it, though. Elle's soulful, scratched voice (a mix of early Mary J Blige, Sarah Vaughan, Macy Gray, and a small splash of Betty Boop) packs a deceptive amount of technical skill, and she navigates vocals runs, key changes, and register changes like a seasoned Jazz chanteuse.

Her unique voice speaks well for the production on her album - which goes from the traditional R&B "I Don't Care", the more R&B/Hip-Hop "I Only Wanna Give It To You (feat. J Cole)" and "So Fly", to the more Pop-tinged "Oh What a Night" and - my personal favorite - "Damn Good Friends". Elle glides through every track with complete authenticity and without sounding like just another basic R&B singer (sorry, Keshia Cole).

I'd watch out for this one, GAF. Her debut isn't exactly talk of the world, but it's getting the type of buzz that usually precedes an explosive sophomore album.

Standouts: Refill, I Don't Care, Stop the Clock, Damn Good Friends, So Fly (really, the whole damn album).

OwFpF.png

Artist: ZZ Ward
Album: Til The Casket Drops

ZZ Ward is a strange one for me, because while I'm definitely checking for this girl, I can't really recommend her album. Like, the album is mediocre, really. Til The Casket Drops only does one thing successfully, and that is communicate the monumental potential of ZZ Ward.

It's got some "ok" moments. The one really outstanding song on the album, "Criminal", is just THAT damn good that you have to take notice of this chick's otherwise lacking debut. I immediately drew comparisons to the genre-bending found on Amy Winehouse's Frank album (one of best compliments I can give out) with a little more bluesy soul thrown in. This girl has soul dripping from her head to her tones, and her unique voice is at her most provocative when she's experimenting with it on songs like the Hip-Hop crossover "Criminal", "Cryin' Wolf (feat. Kendrick Lamar)" and "Blue Eyes Blind", the latter two almost sound like something that Florence Welch would record.

Sadly, the rest of the album dips into country-pop, faux-bluegrassy place that's just infinitely boring in comparison to the more experimental songs.

Try out her album, you might like it better than I did. But despite my dislike of the album overall, I can't deny the potential in ZZ. She could be a BIG FUCKING DEAL if she plays her cards right.

Standouts: Criminal, Blue Eyes Blind, Cryin' Wolf (feat. Kendrick Lamar)

moulels

Yeah, I've been lurking since the Femme Fatale and Born This Way OTs were created. POPGAF is indeed BestGaf, the flawfreeness cannot be stated enough.

So... my faves:

PERFUME (and capsule as a side effect)
ibbait6mEM07Ra.gif

I mainly stan for my robogods *o*, but I won't delve into their greatness here cause they're the definition of local (-̩̩̩-͡ _--̩̩̩͡ )

GODNEY
ioXXVLZzjFFVF.gif

She got me into pop music, her entire discography is HEAVENLY.

¿Madonna?
I am a big fan of the QUEEN OF POP but IDK if I stan for ha, she doesn't get a gif lol.

Also love:
- Gaga (veeeery close to stanning)
- Dido
- Lana del Rey
- Kelly Clarkson
- M.I.A.
- Robyn

Every pop gurl have at least one song that I like tbh.

BTW I don't hate Xpiredtina, she's just tew much fun. Sorry X stans, it's all in good fun, right? ;__;

See ya'll!
ibgubMbWsxqygc.gif

royalan

Hmmm...you stan Perfume, Lana and Dido.

I'll tolerate you, although you shade Xtina for apparently no reason at all but to fit in. Sheep behavior, tbh...

I've got my eye on you....but you're good. Welcome to BEST GAF.

DMeisterJ

Banned
The Diamonds music video is being SHOT right now. It apparently involves a city FIRE and Rih looking flawless, as per.

The video is directed by the director of "Only Girl (in Pop)" and "Man Down" *.*

KHEKHFWQOIHFENROIGERLJE THIS WILL SLAY!!!!

Oh my fucking God. This. Will. Slay.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
ctrl + f -> girls aloud
ctrl + f -> gods aloud

nothing here for me rn

il1ruzR7u7IBH.gif

Yup. The other gurls are not even trying with their videos tbqfh.
Maybe MIA will release another video this year so Rihanna can unjustly beat her again at the VMAs next year.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
A cityscape with fire. True originality, gerls. Another Oscar-worthy ARTPOPTASTIQUE masterpiece, I'm sure.

izOLKCwQurQiD.gif

Artemisia

Banned
RED

#1 United States
#1 Australia
#1 Canada
#1 Costa Rica
#1 Denmark
#1 Ecuador
#1 Ireland
#1 New Zealand
#1 Singapore
#1 Thailand
#2 United Kingdom
#2 Australia
#2 Canada
#2 Czech Republic
#2 Mexico
#2 New Zealand
#2 Norway
#3 Finland
#3 Sweden
#4 Mexico
#4 Slovenia
#5 Bulgaria
#5 Ireland
#5 Luxembourg
#5 Spain
#5 Switzerland
#6 United Kingdom
#6 Argentina
#6 Belgium
#6 Italy
#6 Norway
#9 Chile
#13 Bulgaria
#13 Portugal
#13 Singapore
#16 Italy
#18 Colombia
#18 Finland
#21 Denmark
#23 Switzerland
#25 Hong Kong
#25 Latvia
#27 Belgium
#36 Estonia
#39 Honduras
#39 Spain
#40 Malta
#40 Sweden
#51 Panama

5 SONGS IN THE TOP 10, 20 IN TOP 100

5. I Almost Do
6. Everything Has Changed
7. I Knew You Were Trouble.
8. 22
10. All Too Well
12. We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together
14. Treacherous
15. Stay Stay Stay
16. Starlight
17. The Last Time
18. Holy Ground
19. The Lucky One
20. Sad Beautiful Tragic
21. State of Grace
32. Red
52. Red
60. I Knew You Were Trouble
63. State of Grace
64. Begin Again
76. Begin Again

i7YMQBq2ed5Nv.gif
i7YMQBq2ed5Nv.gif
i7YMQBq2ed5Nv.gif

Kyon

Banned
Yeah, I've been lurking since the Femme Fatale and Born This Way OTs were created. POPGAF is indeed BestGaf, the flawfreeness cannot be stated enough.

So... my faves:

PERFUME (and capsule as a side effect)
ibbait6mEM07Ra.gif

I mainly stan for my robogods *o*, but I won't delve into their greatness here cause they're the definition of local (-̩̩̩-͡ _--̩̩̩͡ )

GODNEY
ioXXVLZzjFFVF.gif

She got me into pop music, her entire discography is HEAVENLY.

¿Madonna?
I am a big fan of the QUEEN OF POP but IDK if I stan for ha, she doesn't get a gif lol.

Also love:
- Dido
- Lana del Rey
- Kelly Clarkson
- M.I.A.
- Robyn

Every pop gurl have at least one song that I like tbh.

BTW I don't hate Xpiredtina, she's just tew much fun. Sorry X stans, it's all in good fun, right? ;__;

See ya'll!
ibgubMbWsxqygc.gif

now WAIT.. what kind of TWINS? Especially the part about Godney getting you into pop music that's my story too ;__; Perfume is my fave group too i call them Robo hoes also ;__; SISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Aguila

#ICONIC
Also love:
- Lana del Rey
- Robyn
You are good people.

Yup. The other gurls are not even trying with their videos tbqfh.

Sorry, but it's Rihanna who isn't even trying. RT

A cityscape with fire. True originality, gerls. Another Oscar-worthy ARTPOPTASTIQUE masterpiece, I'm sure.

izOLKCwQurQiD.gif

Edit:

Today's Theme: Pop/R&B Outliers

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚☆
cVbDg.png

M8ukU.png

Artist: Elle Varner
Album: Perfectly Imperfect

I thought to bring up Elle Varner because of all the praise (???) in this thread for Beyonce's album "4". In fact, between Beyonce, Frank Ocean, and even seemingly unlikely (read: white) candidates like Jessie Ware and Lana Del Rey, R&B (or, rather, Pop with a bit of R&B flavor) is on the come up.

Which is a good thing, because newcomer Elle Varner's debut album Perfectly Imperfect is coming for Jessie Ware's wig when it comes to my favorite R&B album of the year
And it's certainly better than 4

The lead single from the album, "Refill", has to contain the catchiest hook (that isn't completely obnoxious, sorry Taylor) that I've heard all year. Trust me, you'll have "I feel like the girl at the bar who's been there too long. Can't stand up." and the chorus stuck in your head. Good luck trying to sing it, though. Elle's soulful, scratched voice (a mix of early Mary J Blige, Sarah Vaughan, Macy Gray, and a small splash of Betty Boop) packs a deceptive amount of technical skill, and she navigates vocals runs, key changes, and register changes like a seasoned Jazz chanteuse.

Her unique voice speaks well for the production on her album - which goes from the traditional R&B "I Don't Care", the more R&B/Hip-Hop "I Only Wanna Give It To You (feat. J Cole)" and "So Fly", to the more Pop-tinged "Oh What a Night" and - my personal favorite - "Damn Good Friends". Elle glides through every track with complete authenticity and without sounding like just another basic R&B singer (sorry, Keshia Cole).

I'd watch out for this one, GAF. Her debut isn't exactly talk of the world, but it's getting the type of buzz that usually precedes an explosive sophomore album.

Standouts: Refill, I Don't Care, Stop the Clock, Damn Good Friends, So Fly (really, the whole damn album).

Flawless post. Thanks for this. I'm stanning.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Lol right, except this is her 4th album, and her first 3 all sold a shit ton of copies. Nice try.

She more known due to Kanye

She has that stalker fatal attraction vibe of latching onto any dick she can get, once dumped write the same fucking song ad nauseum

itBNPV67hUP69.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom