• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT3| Geo Da Silva > nails on chalkboard > Taylor Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Jake Bugg: "I'm keeping that X Factor Shit Off the Top Spot."

ik1AQDdKdQpvA.gif

Also, fabulous posts Royalan and moulels!
This is exactly what I was talking about a few pages back. Fuck self-ascribed AUTHENTIC ARTISTES and their tedious moral crusade against music that people have the audacity to enjoy even though it isn't some boring retrograde KUNT with a guitar doing a bad pub coverband impression of Tim Buckley.

And then he has the audacity to claim that it proves people still care about guitar music as though guitar musicians hadn't dug their own grave spending 10 years making shit knockoffs of The Strokes and claiming that they were the standard bearers of 'real' music.

Aguila

#ICONIC
Trying is certainly the word I'd use for everything Lana does.

Compared to Rihanna, any artists will look like they are trying or, rather, actually working for their career. She's the overfed, complacent cow at the center of the Def Jam milking machine.

izOLKCwQurQiD.gif

Bladenic

Ic the pressedT in hurr mad @ folk/country/acoustic guitar driven music once again slaying their faves. Leona must be seething that a MONTH old album slayed her brand new album.

Kyon

Banned
There is nothing to say about these "OMG pop music is not real music" zealot nobodies. They just stay flops as per and move along. No one cares about them and no one ever will.

I'm late to this (always late to shit with you girls) but I wanted to touch on the "everyone hates on Christina and it's unfair and stems from insecurity" thing that was mentioned earlier.

I consider myself a stan for three queens:

- Christina: who originally got me into pop music and whose voice still makes my dick cling upward like a hanger. My NOSTALGIA queen.
- Beyonce: who's mastered every aspect of what makes a great pop star a trescendant music figure. My ACCOLADE queen.
- Lady Gaga: whose combination of music and imagery takes the medium to an entirely new place, and gives me a mix of mad hype and a variant form of personal connection. My REPRESENTATIVE queen.

I think we all have faves that fall under these three categories. Who am I most likely to listen to on a car ride with my best friend while speakers are blaring? Probably Christina. Who am I most likely to say is the greatest human that ever lived and everybody else will have to deal because of X reasons? Most likely Beyonce. Who am I most likely to advertise to other stans as the queen I feel most strongly about? Definitely Gaga. They serve different moods that I'm in as a stan, and because of it I take them with varied degrees of seriousness.

It's of course very obvious to me that Christina's had the roughest time of the three career-wise, and even personally. I'm of course looking forward to her new album but I know that a lot of people don't give a rat's ass. Knowing where Christina's been and where she is now, I completely understand why people make fun of her and actually sort of relish in it. She's made a career out of either being deliberately compared to someone, or seen deliberately trying to distance herself from the person she's being compared to. Because of that, she has had the most hilarious career moves and trajectory out of all of our queens.

Bitch will always be compared to Britney. Let's embrace it. When she rocked assless chaps and danced in a dirty public shower with twenty other slutty dancers, that brought her comparison to Britney MORE into the spotlight, not less so. Even when she went back to basics and rocked a Marilyn 'do and a white dress, her career shift was compared to Britney's personal-life shift into madness. "How does it feel seeing your career take such an interesting turn while Britney struggles?" is a question I feel like everybody wanted to ask her. It's as if her pop career was created so that she'll always be Cinderella's ugly step-sister.

So fellow Xtina stans, we know that our fave is talented. We know she has a golden voice and a gorgeous face, and has had a career full of great songs that inspired us in whatever ways. But we also KNOW that she's worth more than her songs demonstrate, and that she's kind of in a stalled state career-wise. Let's admire the fact that it's Christina who became the designated meme-maker on POP-GAF. She gets the most discussion in this thread. Regardless of whether it's good or bad discussion (there are enough botty and royalan posts to even it out I think), we can still claim that Christina is the most talked about pop star right now. So I say, keep hating everyone. Ring in more fat jokes, Bionic jokes, and Max jokes. They're actually fucking hilarious.

(I told my boss that I'll meet with her as soon as I finish "updating something" on my computer, so yes I have been stalling)

xxczx

You're lucky. 'Regressive' doesn't even begin to cover it.
oh wait, just looked on youtube and I've heard of the Lightning Bolt song before. nobody I know knows of this KID either.

maybe im just from a lucky part of England where we don't talk about shit music.

Kyon

Banned
Soul sis I hope you know every single Stan site/forum/social hub drags Xtina. I'm talking every stanbase imaginable. Pop Gaf really aren't the only ones lol

DMeisterJ

Banned
The Xtina fans really have this victim complex. All of our faces are mercilessly dragged. Bey GaGa and Rih have had huge amounts of hate spewed upon them all in this very thread.

My message to Xtina stans: get over it.

Ch...

AKPXu.png

Where's Taylor?... Oh Look #39

Where's Rigoddess?... Oh #1

Silence!

121wqx1xeddh.gif
Not really a fair comparison since Taylors airplay (especially early on) relied heavily on country stations which are not included in that chart. Big multigenre artists are penalized on that list while pop specific ones are elevated.

(nothing against Rihanna at all.....she deserves her spot)

royalan

The Xtina fans really have this victim complex. All of our faces are mercilessly dragged. Bey GaGa and Rih have had huge amounts of hate spewed upon them all in this very thread.

My message to Xtina stans: get over it.

You know, I'm getting sick of this xtina stans are victims mentality. The entire thread goes in on xtina, sometimes over completely dumb /malicious reasons (go in on Xtina's weight but then stan Adele. Call Xtina a mean disrespectful bitch but then stan Rihanna. ???), and then expect #Fighters to just sit there picking their thumbs? Ch...

I've seen stans for every artist go in in defense of their faves (Pho, Icicle, Koodo, Kyon, Nem, DMJ, he'll pretty much everyone) just as hard as any Xtina stan ever has. But let an Xtina stan snatch a wig and it's a problem, because apparently it's written in stone that Xtina is an indefensible mess. Please...

My message to Xtina's haters: come for Xtina and an Xtina stan is likely to clapback. Get over it.

Majmun

Shading Xtina has become more of a POP-Gaf tradition. I love Xtina, but shading her can be quite fun sometimes.

royalan

Shading Xtina has become more of a POP-Gaf tradition. I love Xtina, but shading her can be quite fun sometimes.

Shade away. Even I've learned to roll with a lot of it (which was NOT the case when I first started posting in POP GAF. Lawwwwd....)

But lately I've been noticing an attempt by the upper echelons of the Xtina PressedT Coalition to label Xtina stans victims just for clapping back. Chile boo bye.

Bladenic

There is nothing to say about these "OMG pop music is not real music" zealot nobodies. They just stay flops as per and move along. No one cares about them and no one ever will.

That's why Babel has been slaying everything right?

Dismissed.

Jake Bugg is such a limp-dicked ball of sad that I can't even bother to be bothered by him. In a year, he'll be right back in the dusty bars and street corners that birthed him, and I know this because he's utterly devoid of anything that could be called original or interesting.

That's all I'll say about Jake Bugg.

----

As for "Fireflies" being the next single..great song, but it's not going to be the next "Run" unless by some miracle, she really connects with the (increasingly invisible) portion of the UK population that actually wants good music.

Really, there was only one logical choice for the next single, and it's the title track, and that's all she wrote for this era in the UK. It'll be like Echo - middling lead single, even more middling follow-up single, then a quite successful tour that makes you wonder why people are buying tickets but not CDs, and a couple years of silence while Leona records her next masterpiece in a lair over at Syco somewhere.

They can take tomorrow and the plans we made
They can take the music that we never played
All the broken dreams take everything
Just take it away
But they can never have yesterday
They can take the future that we'll never know
They can take the places that we said we would go
All the broken dreams take everything
Just take it away
But they can never have yesterday

Majmun

Any popularity list where Katy Perry and Matchbox 20(hew?) are higher than Beyonce or frikkin Eminem means shit to me.

izOLKCwQurQiD.gif

Any list where Katy Perry and Matchbox 20(hew?) are higher than Beyonce or frikkin Eminem means shit to me.

izOLKCwQurQiD.gif

I don't like facts....therefor I will choose to ignore them!

(This is based on POP airplay....for one none of Beyonce's stuff while is Destiny's child is included in her total....also Eminem isn't really a "pop" artists so its actually shocking how high he is on the list)

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Any popularity list where Katy Perry and Matchbox 20(hew?) are higher than Beyonce or frikkin Eminem means shit to me.

izOLKCwQurQiD.gif

Well this is POP-AF, that has to do with POP, I posted info regarding POP....

As Wafflecakes puts it

Mumei

Its billboard POP ONLY AIRPLAY chart (top 40) over the last 20 years. Pink has been around for a long time now......which is most of it.

Australia is not counted.

She's been around a long time and her songs tend to have quite a bit of longevity in the top 40 and she has lots of songs that peak high in the pop charts.

Majmun

Not ignoring the facts, just saying the list is pretty irrelevant.

The fact is also that Beyonce was the best selling female artist of the last decade.

But both facts are irrelevant since #39 on the airplay list, Taylor Swift, is currently outslaying basically everything.

She's been around a long time and her songs tend to have quite a bit of longevity in the top 40 and she has lots of songs that peak high in the pop charts.

Lol yeah.

I try to be subtle about saying anything good about Pink though. Gotta avoid Kyon wrath.

The fact is also that Beyonce was the best selling female artist of the last decade.

But both facts are irrelevant since #39 on the airplay list, Taylor Swift, is currently outslaying basically everything.

/facepalm

I don't know why people take that list so personally. Stop looking at it as a measure of success/failure and just accept it for what it is....a measure of POP RADIO PLAY success.

Zutroy

You misspelt Britney.

This is exactly what I was talking about a few pages back. Fuck self-ascribed AUTHENTIC ARTISTES and their tedious moral crusade against music that people have the audacity to enjoy even though it isn't some boring retrograde KUNT with a guitar doing a bad pub coverband impression of Tim Buckley.

And then he has the audacity to claim that it proves people still care about guitar music as though guitar musicians hadn't dug their own grave spending 10 years making shit knockoffs of The Strokes and claiming that they were the standard bearers of 'real' music.
YASSS GO IN!

I also love that this ~authentic artiste~ is so proud of his chart position.

DMeisterJ

Banned
3 nonsingle tracks form red are above Die Young. 4 are above Diamonds. Taylor Swift is the first artist in a long ass time to topple Adele from the number 1 spot on the Global iTunes ranking.

121wqx1xeddh.gif

And yet Gangnam style is still ahead of her in the US. She's barely even local.

Majmun

Taylor Swift is really going in huh? Her new look is amazing. I almost started to stan her, until I heard the music.

Good for her, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom