• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT3| Geo Da Silva > nails on chalkboard > Taylor Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cynosure

Good morning Nemesis_

io0TsQpkdtBV5.gif

Stefan™;45412147 said:
I would have liked the IKYWT MV more if they had cut out the monologue. It still slayed me.

tumblr_mf03v6sXiZ1qfoj4do2_500.gif

What kind of aspect ratio?
I can't get past it. I was so turned off by Taylor's flat, pasty, soulless, speaking voice in the opening that I was already done before the song even started.

Koodo

Banned
Someone should put all these predictions in a dossier for easy retrieval when the time is right. Let me add mine:

Opening Week

ARTPOP: 670k
Beyoncé's 5: 355k
Britney's 8: 310k
Broke With Expensive Taste: delayed until 2014.

DMeisterJ

Banned
That Brit.gif was... something else. You'd think she'd be happy or smile, but she gives you a confused expression for absolutely no reason.

Galang

Banned
Ohhh I want to predict...

ArtPOP: 300k

Beyonce 5: 460k

Matangi: 57k

Broke with Expensive Taste: 43K

Supermanisdead predicts:

Broke With Basic Taste: 2.5k

Lol this would have to be Kreayshawn level disaster.. I think her EP sold more than that very quickly when she was more of an unknown too.

botty

Banned
Someone should put all these predictions in a dossier for easy retrieval when the time is right. Let me add mine:

Opening Week

ARTPOP: 670k
Beyoncé's 5: 355k
Britney's 8: 310k
Broke With Expensive Taste: delayed until 2014.

That's a generous number.
iof521YBfrN3M.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I should say, appended to Mummei's post, that I am not generally here for technical analysis of singers but seeing Bey the thing that struck me is 1) she is an amazing singer 2) she makes it look so effortless. She sings like crazy while strutting around the stage in high heels while just belting it out. I don't even think she broke a sweat? Even if you hate her, that shit is impressive.

Mad.

botty

Banned
I should say, appended to Mummei's post, that I am not generally here for technical analysis of singers but seeing Bey the thing that struck me is 1) she is an amazing singer 2) she makes it look so effortless. She sings like crazy while strutting around the stage in high heels while just belting it out. I don't even think she broke a sweat? Even if you hate her, that shit is impressive.

Mad.

She has had vocal training, and dance lessons since she was a little bandit. I do commend her father for making something out of nothing, though.

Galang

Banned
she won't ;_;

She will! I have faith she'll surprise us with the sales :( Even if i'm just being a blind fan, I'll believe...

But if this DOES come out in February I see it flopping hard for sure, as she's not hyping it up at all.. and still focusing on her fantasea era

3phemeral

She has had vocal training, and dance lessons since she was a little bandit. I do commend her father for making something out of nothing, though.
You forgot to mention that Beyonce continues to train and nurture those talents to this day, while the other naturally gifted singer takes it for granted, writing songs about empowering yourself all the while being walled up in her house, hiding from the world defeated but with a "God-given" gift that's deteriorating.

botty

Banned
You forgot to mention that Beyonce continues to train and nurture those talents to this day, while the other naturally gifted singer takes it for granted, writing songs about empowering yourself all the while being walled up in her house, hiding from the world defeated but with a "God-given" gift that's deteriorating.

Nothing in what I said implies that she ever stopped her vocal training, or dance lessons. And would you mind elaborating on the bolded?

3phemeral

Nothing in what I said implies that she ever stopped her vocal training, or dance lessons. And would you mind elaborating on the bolded?
You implied that somehow Beyonce is less than because she's trained.

As for the bolded, Lotus speaks for itself. How's that Lotus promo?

iOqwZOlhMsDDT.gif

botty

Banned
You implied that somehow Beyonce is less than because she's trained.

As for the bolded, Lotus speaks for itself. How's that Lotus promo?

I was only giving a reason as to why Beyonce is impressive at what she does. Everything I said only complimented her abilities as a vocalist, dancer, and thief.

And if you're implying Lotus is only filled with "songs about empowering yourself all the while being walled up in her house, hiding from the world defeated" you might want to give it another listen.

As for the Lotus promo... I did get one person to buy it.
legendtinahpkcg.gif

3phemeral

I was only giving a reason as to why Beyonce is impressive at what she does. Everything I said only complimented her abilities as a vocalist, dancer, and thief.

And if you're implying Lotus is only filled with "songs about empowering yourself all the while being walled up in her house, hiding from the world defeated" you might want to give it another listen.

As for the Lotus promo... I did get one person to buy it.
legendtinahpkcg.gif

Well, then. My apologies for misinterpreting. :p

I'm used to seeing Beyonce vs Christina arguments revolving around trained vs natural. *ahem*

I wasn't saying Lotus in its entirety was solely about empowerment (even though she equates the flower to similar symbolism). I was just saying how it's funny that part of her brand is about self empowerment (Fighter, Army of Me, Sing for Me, Best of Me, Still Dirrty, Here to Stay, etc), and so strongly believes in her material and in influencing new vocalists, yet stays doing dozens of interviews in her house, filming commercials in her bedroom, never promoting, let alone overseas. It could be easily interpreted as defeated, for sure.

That interview she did during Bionic where she equated herself to being a working-class mom was a good indicator of how she perceived her artistic priorities.

botty

Banned
Well, then. My apologies for misinterpreting. :p

I'm used to seeing Beyonce vs Christina arguments revolving around trained vs natural. *ahem*

I wasn't saying Lotus in its entirety was solely about empowerment (even though she equates the flower to similar symbolism). I was just saying how it's funny that part of her brand is about self empowerment (Fighter, Army of Me, Sing for Me, Best of Me, Still Dirrty, Here to Stay, etc), and so strongly believes in her material and in influencing new vocalists, yet stays doing dozens of interviews in her house, filming commercials in her bedroom, never promoting, let alone overseas. It could be easily interpreted as defeated, for sure.

That interview she did during Bionic where she equated herself to being a working-class mom was a good indicator of how she perceived her artistic priorities.

Hmm... that's an interesting interpretation. Though, I think most of that is balanced out by the fact that she works on The Voice. Xtina is seen by millions of people twice a week at her currently larger weight, and, occasionally, in various crazy outfits. She is an open book when it comes to her feelings, but I think she also enjoys the privacy that celebrities have been losing recently... which is probably why she has all of her events (interviews, listening parties, etc) at her mansion.

During Bionic era error she kept bringing up that thing she gave birth to, and being a mom, and how it all made her feel. I don't think it really was an attack on the perception of her artistic priorities, just something she kept repeating over and over.... not unlike the "unbreakable flower/lotus" stuff she continued to spout prior to Lotus' release.

Lady Gaga - ARTPOP: 480,000 first week, 105,000 second week

Beyonce - I Am... Loving The Soothing Taste of this Pepsi: 640,000 first week, 95,000 second week

Britney Spears - I'm Still Here: 345,000 first week, 82,000 second week

Rihanna - Uninspired: 230,000 first week, 45,000 second week

3phemeral

Hmm... that's an interesting interpretation. Though, I think most of that is balanced out by the fact that she works on The Voice. Xtina is seen by millions of people twice a week at her currently larger weight, and, occasionally, in various crazy outfits. She is an open book when it comes to her feelings, but I think she also enjoys the privacy that celebrities have been losing recently... which is probably why she has all of her events (interviews, listening parties, etc) at her mansion.

I can't really imagine taking the Voice and its audience reach as a method of reliable impact. It's the same audience, night after night, and even then, she didn't really utilize it to it's full advantage until the week of Lotus' release; there's only so many times you can use the same outlet.

I think it's one thing saying you're embracing yourself as being a popstar (she said the same thing on Bionic but for some reason, Lotus is now promoted under that same slogan), but then another to carry on as if your actions represent that of an indie act or a seasoned veteran (Madonna) with no promo outlets or rely on name recognition.

During Bionic era error she kept bringing up that thing she gave birth to, and being a mom, and how it all made her feel. I don't think it really was an attack on the perception of her artistic priorities, just something she kept repeating over and over.... not unlike the "unbreakable flower/lotus" stuff she continued to spout prior to Lotus' release.
I wasn't saying she was deliberately connecting these things, but that in retrospect, with how Lotus is doing, it's not a stretch to see how that mentality has affected her career. She's rich beyond imagination and feels herself in similar shoes as "working class" (this is a direct quote, btw). She's disgustingly rich, has a seemingly amicable relationship with her well-to-do ex-husband, a live-in boyfriend, Consuela
inwkAArbuwXBd.png
a close relationship with her mom and sister, and works probably less than 10 hours a week for millions.

royalan

I'm not really sure what the conversation is here, but I will say that I think Max factors in a LOT to what Xtina does these days. And while I wish she'd get out and do more promo, I can't really fault her for that.

Anyone who follows Christina interviews knows when she's serving the media a line (or, in my case, learned from this era when Christina is serving the media a line). Her claims of "embracing her inner popstar" and stuff like that is total PR BS. But something that sticks out to me in her interviews this era is that, whenever Max is brought up, Christina always gushes about how important he is to her and how important it is for her that he always feels safe, loved and cared for. Looking at Christina's own childhood, and the shit she went through with her abusive military father that her mother had to literally FLEE from, that makes sense. It's the most believable thing she's said all era.

It's telling that whenever you see Xtina out, Max is almost always with her. Heck, the last few times she's been spotted by the paparazzi its been while taking Max to karate, or a checkup, or soccer practice.

I think Xtina really wants to give Max the childhood she never had, and not just in a financial sense. She wants to maintain a general stability her own childhood lacked. I think this has heavily contributed to her not wanting to leave LA unless she absolutely HAS to, and why she treats The Voice (and her career these days) as a "working class" job she does until she can go back home and be with her kid. I don't know if I can be too mad about it.

My fave is such a good mother. ;___;

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

tumblr_m50f37pOtS1rwlgkso1_500.jpg

The BBC have announced their top 20 tracks of 2012:

1. Carly Rae Jepsen – Call Me Maybe
2. Usher – Climax
3. Plan B – Ill Manors
4. Jessie Ware – 110%
5. Taylor Swift – We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together
6. Jai Paul – Jasmine
7. Solange – Losing You
8. Savages – Husbands
9. Zebra Katz – Ima Read
10. Blur – Under The Westway
11. Major Lazer – Get Free
12. AlunaGeorge – Your Drums, Your Love
13. Miguel – Adorn
14. Grimes – Oblivion
15. Haim – Forever
16. TNGHT – Higher Ground
17. Polica – Lay Your Cards Out
18. Dean Blunt – The Narcissist
19. Sky Ferreira – Everything Is Embarrassing
20. Rihanna – Where Have You Been

There's...gonna be some tears

Artemisia

Banned
tumblr_m50f37pOtS1rwlgkso1_500.jpg

The BBC have announced their top 20 tracks of 2012:

1. Carly Rae Jepsen – Call Me Maybe
W21RE.gif

2. Usher – Climax
W21RE.gif

3. Plan B – Ill Manors
4. Jessie Ware – 110%
q8QQy.gif

5. Taylor Swift – We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together
q8QQy.gif

6. Jai Paul – Jasmine
7. Solange – Losing You
q8QQy.gif

8. Savages – Husbands
9. Zebra Katz – Ima Read
q8QQy.gif

10. Blur – Under The Westway
11. Major Lazer – Get Free
12. AlunaGeorge – Your Drums, Your Love
q8QQy.gif

13. Miguel – Adorn
14. Grimes – Oblivion
q8QQy.gif

15. Haim – Forever
16. TNGHT – Higher Ground
17. Polica – Lay Your Cards Out
18. Dean Blunt – The Narcissist
19. Sky Ferreira – Everything Is Embarrassing
q8QQy.gif

20. Rihanna – Where Have You Been
W21RE.gif

There's...gonna be some tears

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
And to up the pressedness of certain members, the Guardian's picks for best album

No 1: Frank Ocean – Channel Orange
No 2: Grimes – Visions
No 3: Jessie Ware – Devotion
No 4: Dirty Projectors – Swing Lo Magellan
No 5: Kendrick Lamar – Good Kid, MAAD City
No 6: Tame Impala – Lonerism
No 7: Alt-J – An Awesome Wave
No 8: The xx – Coexist
No 9: Hot Chip – In Our Heads
No 10: Bobby Womack – The Bravest Man in the Universe

Best albums of 2012, No 1: Frank Ocean – Channel Orange
Finally, the undisputed champ, the heavyweight hitter of 2012, the best album of the year. Prepare to travel space and time with Frank Ocean

Tangerine dream … Frank Ocean's narrative skills were crucial to Channel Orange's brilliance. Photograph: Karl Walter/Getty Images
Tyler, the Creator was supposed to be the breakout star of Odd Future. When he released the single Yonkers in February 2011, it brought global attention to his LA rap collective. But it was Frank Ocean, the oldest, most soulful member of the crew, a singer more than a rapper, who made the biggest waves. His debut album Nostalgia, Ultra came out that same year as a mixtape leaked by Ocean himself, frustrated by the slowness of his record company in releasing it. It was a promising start, particularly in its narrative reach – Ocean pulled the strings of his songs' characters with easy artfulness. Swim Good told the tale of a desperate murder-suicide. Novocane was an indie-film love story, all sepia tones and drugged anti-romance. It was startlingly intelligent and new.

Channel Orange, though, far outshone both Nostalgia, Ultra and Ocean's Odd Future colleagues. It's a staggering achievement of rare scope and variety, an album that builds on Nostalgia, Ultra's foundations and brings that vision to completion. It is an album that demands to be received as such, a true long-player in an age of cherry-picked tracks and edited highlights. It insists you listen to it from start to finish, to experience the considered unravelling of its carefully plotted pace. Like Beyoncé's 4 (which contains I Miss You, an Ocean composition), its tracklisting doesn't feel like a commercial exercise – it starts slowly, rather than with an attention-grabbing banger, and takes its time to build in tempo and mood.

Ocean's producer Malay has spoken about the recording process, revealing that there were barely any leftovers from the sessions, which gives an idea of the precision involved. Its direct inspirations were Pink Floyd, Sly and the Family Stone, Prince and Jimi Hendrix, though it never sounds derivative or retro, but grand, inventive and ambitious. I have played it half to death and still it continues to reveal new details and tricks. The epic Pyramids, the album's midway point, is a 10-minute sprawl that turns ancient Egypt into a strip club, and Cleopatra into a weary pole-dancer. Ocean is a spurned king, a pathetic pimp, and lonely boyfriend. It's an upbeat electro smash and a sleek slow jam. Remarkably, all of these disparate strands sound taut and together. Ocean says he spent weeks working on just the vocal tone of the four "ohs" that open the track.

If it's musically impressive, then its lyrical reach is frequently astonishing. Ocean has honed his cinematic eye for story here, telling complex, visual tales through a variety of narrators. Channel Orange is bookended by a pair of love stories; the beautiful, tentative Thinkin' Bout You and the fond farewell of Forrest Gump, both of which are addressed to a man. This shouldn't be of note in an ideal world, but it is, because this isn't. We are used to an ambiguous "you". That doesn't suit Ocean's vision. "My eyes don't shed tears, but boy they pour, when I'm thinkin' bout you," he croons on the former, while admiring his paramour, "so buff and so strong", on the latter. Bad Religion, the string-soaked pinnacle of his romantic turmoil, sees him crying "I could never make him love me" to a taxi driver who can only offer the inadequate salve of God. It is refreshingly candid. It matters.

There is more here than just a series of well-executed confessionals, however. It's also an album fixed in its time. Ocean takes aim at LA's rich kids, consuming their way through a numb haze of privilege. He is viciously sarcastic (Sweet Life's "Why see the world when you got the beach?") and resignedly glum. Super Rich Kids combines a Less Than Zero tale of dead-eyed excess with an intricate metaphor for the global economy, topped off with a shock death: "Some don't end the way they should/ This silver spoon has fed me good." Critics of rap and R&B often miss the intricate storytelling involved, but this lays it bare, and makes it look easy. Frank Ocean is a forceful songwriter, an original voice, and a man who makes albums that could only be made by him, in an age of kit-build superstars. Channel Orange topped this poll with more than three times as many votes as the record before it. It is a deserved victory.

Not a shoutout to Beyoncé in the writeup as well. LORDT it is as though they wrote it for certain pressed members of Pop GAF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom