• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT3| Geo Da Silva > nails on chalkboard > Taylor Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aguila

#ICONIC
I have to confess that the only other "genre" of music that I listen to in addition to wubstep is "generic pop".

Which artists from the genre of "generic pop" do you listen to?
04943b33.gif

Artemisia

Banned
Taylor's marketing has been nothing short of genius really. Was Speak Now this big?

Everyone song from Speak Now charted in the hot 100. Speak Now also cleared the 1 week million copies sold mark.

But now that Billboard has altered their hot 100 rules (airplay is weighted even more to make it harder to debut at number 1), it's certainly going to be harder to get all of the songs from Red in the hot 100, even though they've been selling so well.

Which artists from the genre of "generic pop" do you listen to?
04943b33.gif
  • Adele
  • Coldplay
  • Muse
  • That guy in that video where he is standing against a wall and there's a bunch of geometrical shapes being painted onto his skin.
  • Other one hit artists who really only have one song that I like but can't recall right now
  • LMFAO
  • Gaga (up and until that monster song, I think it was called that anyway)

Trigger

Everyone song from Speak Now charted in the hot 100. Speak Now also cleared the 1 week million copies sold mark.

But now that Billboard has altered their hot 100 rules (airplay is weighted even more to make it harder to debut at number 1), it's certainly going to be harder to get all of the songs from Red in the hot 100, even though they've been selling so well.

Either way she is slaying.

• Adele
  • Coldplay
  • Muse
  • That guy in that video where he is standing against a wall and there's a bunch of geometrical shapes being painted onto his skin.
  • Other one hit artists who really only have one song that I like but can't recall right now
  • LMFAO

You're good peoples.

• Adele
  • Coldplay
  • Muse
  • LMFAO

Next.

Aguila

#ICONIC
  • Adele
  • Coldplay
  • Muse
  • LMFAO
I think Gotye is the artist you mean in your 4th point.
If you'd like to discover more pop songs/artists, you should hang around here more often (or just check the OP, tehehe).

That's the thing though, a lot of these top-charting artists only ever have one song (their most popular one) that interest me.

I'm not really into "artists" or "bands" per se, unless they consistently produce big hits like that (Muse, Coldplay, etc). GOTYE for an example only really have that one song, as the rest of his stuff is pretty forgetful stuff.

Aguila

#ICONIC
That's the thing though, a lot of these top-charting artists only ever have one song (their most popular one) that interest me.

I'm not really into "artists" or "bands" per se, unless they consistently produce big hits like that (Muse, Coldplay, etc). GOTYE for an example only really have that one song, as the rest of his stuff is pretty forgetful stuff.

I C.

Well, just keep checking for new singles.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
ibrb7Dge1nGRk6.jpg

REVIEW: RED

I was never a fan of Taylor Swift, I always saw her as an overrated country version of Hillary Duff even though Love Story and Crazier are one of my tops songs I jam to. I also never really saw her as country due to her singles and never ventured into her albums thinking that there might actually be some country in there. So when I heard she was trying a new sound and Never Ever is very popish I saw it safe to maybe try this album. But it wasn't until I heard State Of Grace that my perspective of Taylor changed and I couldn't say no to listening to RED now, so here goes:

State of Grace – When Taylor says I'll never be the same, believe me I'll never be the same. This song has magically turned me into a fan of her voice and work. Guitars everywhere with a soothing and catchy chorus. The album starts on a high note and lets you know this album is worthwhile and I never saw it coming. 5/5

Red – After the ride that was State of Grace, Red takes it a bit more slow but remains upbeat. Red makes you feel the love that Taylor tries to evoke through the metaphors use throughout the song: Loving him is like trying to change your mind once you are already flying through the free fall. She clearly paints a picture and makes the song easy to relate. And once again she delivers with another catchy chorus reh-eh-eh-reh-eh-eh-red. It will be hard to longer associate the color red to a past relationship for forgetting this song is like trying to sing a song you never heard. 4/5

Treacherous - ….. ok this is not a bad song, but its really slow and countryish from just coming off Red and State of Grace and knowing what song comes next it makes me want to skip it or listen to one of the previous songs. Alone by itself its a 3/5 but in the album as a whole I give it a 2/5

I Knew You Were Trouble – Probably one of the best songs on the album, Taylor's moaning set to a dubsteb breakdown feels like you just came from one of those nights of grinding way to hard on the floor. It is exactly the kind of song I expected when she announce she would be exploring new sounds and I would like for her to try more of it on her next albums while still avoiding the dance trend 5/5

All Too Well – I thought this was going to be another Treacherous moment, but this song is much more easier to swallow. But its still just a typical breakup song that doesn't go anywhere. 3/5

22 – What kind of anthem? Seriously this easily became my jam after the first listen. A fun upbeat song where you just let go and enjoy the night but in an innocent way that only Taylor can provide. Even though she is talking about hooking up it still feels like you are just going to go play Jenga and roast marshmallows. Makes me feel sad that I wont be 22 forever but for now I am feeling 22 oooh-hoo 5/5

I Almost Do – Oh this song... I almost hate it that its the most relatable song on the album for me. Its not a bitter breakup song just one of missing that one person and wanting him back. I bet it never ever occurred to you that I can't say hello to you and risk another goodbye … ;_; 4/5

We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together – Probably her most Popish song in the album. Another fun song that lifts you up from the low ride that was I Almost Do and it makes you rethink your thoughts from I almost do to fuck no we are never getting back together. You all have heard it, you all love it... like ever 4/5

Stay Stay Stay – A silly song about fighting with your partner and resolving it. The song doesn't do much for me nor does it go anywhere but I can never force myself to skip it due to the mellow sound. Its as if the song tells you not to skip and just stay stay stay and listen to it all and at the end of the song Taylor laughs at you for staying. 3/5

The Last Time (Feat. Gary Lightbody) – I dont know who this guy is but his voice and Taylor's really flow well together and it helps the chorus is actually good. There are only 2 other artist in RED with this song having the best feature. You kind of expect the song to develop to something more as you want to hear both of them go at it, but it stays consistent. Still the song does its job of giving you a breather from Taylor for a bit on the album. 4/5

Holy Ground – Catchy for a moment but then becomes forgettable at first. Its a song where you have to memorize the lyrics in order for it to grow on you and when it does it you cant help but bop to it. 3.5/5

Sad Beautiful Tragedy – Just reading the title of the song makes me cringe. The song is alright but at this point on the album the breakup theme is getting tiring and making me listen to a slow ass song isn't going to work for me. Its like Treacherous but too little too late.. actually this song is about 5 minutes so its not actually too little, skip when possible 1/5

The Lucky One
– Well this is a nice way to wake up from the slumber caused by Sad Beautiful Tragedy. I dont really know what she is saying except that I'm the lucky one probably because I am listening to her album, dont know. Its cute 3/5

At this point I kind of want the album to end tbh

Everything Has Changed (Feat. Ed Sheeran) - Like I said before this album only has 2 other artist and The Last Time has the best feature. 3/5

Starlight – Too country for me but catchy 3/5

Begin Again – Meh 2/5

The album starts of strong and hits many peaks but it seems that after The Last Time it just drags especially since the heavy hitters come way early on and there are no Trouble or Never Ever on the last quarter to change the pace. Still Taylor makes you recall those pass relationships and relieve all the good and the bad, and if you haven't experience some of it you wish you had in order to relate. It is a shame the last quarter of the album takes a nosedive (probably to appeal more to her country base) because with a bit more uptempo songs this album could have been a masterpiece but compared to the stuff that has been released this year in Pop, RED is one of the best albums of 2012

7/10

Artemisia

Banned
Treacherous - ….. ok this is not a bad song, but its really slow and countryish from just coming off Red and State of Grace and knowing what song comes next it makes me want to skip it or listen to one of the previous songs. Alone by itself its a 3/5 but in the album as a whole I give it a 2/5

i1cwsiF7Mfhxe.gif

royalan

ibrb7Dge1nGRk6.jpg

I was never a fan of Taylor Swift, I always saw her as an overrated country version of Hillary Duff even though Love Story and Crazier are one of my tops songs I jam to. I also never really saw her as country due to her singles and never ventured into her albums thinking that there might actually be some country in there. So when I heard she was trying a new sound and Never Ever is very popish I saw it safe to maybe try this album. But it wasn't until I heard State Of Grace that my perspective of Taylor changed and I couldn't say no to listening to RED now, so here goes:

State of Grace – When Taylor says I'll never be the same, believe me I'll never be the same. This song has magically turned me into a fan of her voice and work. Guitars everywhere with a soothing and catchy chorus. The album starts on a high note and lets you know this album is worthwhile and I never saw it coming. 5/5

Red – After the ride that was State of Grace, Red takes it a bit more slow but remains upbeat. Red makes you feel the love that Taylor tries to evoke through the metaphors use throughout the song: Loving him is like trying to change your mind once you are already flying through the free fall. She clearly paints a picture and makes the song easy to relate. And once again she delivers with another catchy chorus reh-eh-eh-reh-eh-eh-red. It will be hard to longer associate the color red to a past relationship for forgetting this song is like trying to sing a song you never heard. 4/5

I Knew You Were Trouble – Probably one of the best songs on the album, Taylor's moaning set to a dubsteb breakdown feels like you just came from one of those nights of grinding way to hard on the floor. It is exactly the kind of song I expected when she announce she would be exploring new sounds and I would like for her to try more of it on her next albums while still avoiding the dance trend 5/5

All Too Well – I thought this was going to be another Treacherous moment, but this song is much more easier to swallow. But its still just a typical breakup song that doesn't go anywhere. 3/5

22 – What kind of anthem? Seriously this easily became my jam after the first listen. A fun upbeat song where you just let go and enjoy the night but it an innocent way that only Taylor can provide. Even though she is talking about hooking up it still feels like you are just going to go play Jenga and roast marshmallows. Makes me feel sad that I wont be 22 forever but for now I am feeling 22 oooh-hoo 5/5

I Almost Do – Oh this song... I almost hate it that its the most relatable song on the album for me. Its not a bitter breakup song just one of missing that one person and wanting him back. I bet it never ever occurred to you that I can't say hello to you and risk another goodbye … ;_; 4/5

We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together – Probably her most Popish song in the album. Another fun song that lifts you up from the low ride that was I Almost Do and it makes you rethink your thoughts from I almost do to fuck no we are never getting back together. You all have heard it, you all love it... like ever 4/5

Stay Stay Stay – A silly song about fighting with your partner and resolving it. The song doesn't do much for me nor does it go anywhere but I can never force myself to skip it due to the mellow sound. Its as if the song tells you not to skip and just stay stay stay and listen to it all and at the end of the song Taylor laughs at you for staying. 3/5

The Last Time (Feat. Gary Lightbody) – I dont know who this guy is but his voice and Taylor's really flow well together and it helps the chorus is actually good. There are only 2 other artist in RED with this song having the best feature. You kind of expect the song to develop to something more as you want to hear both of them go at it, but it stays consistent. Still the song does its job of giving you a breather from Taylor for a bit on the album. 4/5

Holy Ground – Catchy for a moment but then becomes forgettable at first. Its a song where you have to memorize the lyrics in order for it to grow on you and when it does it you cant help but bop to it. 3.5/5

Sad Beautiful Tragedy – Just reading the title of the song makes me cringe. The song is alright but at this point on the album the breakup theme is getting tiring and making me listen to a slow ass song isn't going to work for me. Its like Treacherous but too little too late.. actually this song is about 5 minutes so its not actually too little, skip when possible 1/5

The Lucky One
– Well this is a nice way to wake up from the slumber caused by Sad Beautiful Tragedy. I dont really know what she is saying except that I'm the lucky one probably because I am listening to her album, dont know. Its cute 3/5

At this point I kind of want the album to end tbh

Everything Has Changed (Feat. Ed Sheeran) - Like I said before this album only has 2 other artist and The Last Time has the best feature. 3/5

Starlight – Too country for me but catchy 3/5

Begin Again – Meh 2/5

The album starts of strong and hits many peaks but it seems that after The Last Time it just drags especially since the heavy hitters come way early on and there are no Trouble or Never Ever on the last quarter to change the pace. Still Taylor makes you recall those pass relationships and relieve all the good and the bad, and if you haven't experience some of it you wish you had in order to relate. It is a shame the last quarter of the album takes a nosedive (probably to appeal more to her country base) because with a bit more uptempo songs this album could have been a masterpiece but compared to the stuff that has been released this year in Pop, RED is one of the best albums of 2012

7/10

After all your stanning, I was expecting a less sensible review. Funny that I agree with your assessment overall (except for Stay Stay Stay - that song is God-awful in its repetitive blandness), even though you rated the songs higher than I did.

Stellar review, Sis.

Trigger

7/10

2F6qh.gif

I have no disagreements with this review outside of giving Holy Ground a higher grade. One of the better songs I think.

Mau ®

I agree with Marius review on a lot of points.

My main complaint would be RED does get bogged down by its ballads. The track-by-track progression suffers as a result. The ballads this time around as not as strong as the upbeat cuts.

On Speak Now some of the slower cuts were just GEMS: Dear John, Enchanted and Last Kiss still slay me. There arent really those kinds of songs on RED. Thankfully the upbeat songs more than make up for it IMO.

Artemisia

Banned
I agree with Marius review on a lot of points.

My main complaint would be RED does get bogged down by its ballads. The track-by-track progression suffers as a result. The ballads this time around as not as strong as the upbeat cuts.

On Speak Now some of the slower cuts were just GEMS: Dear John, Enchanted and Last Kiss still slay me. There arent really those kinds of songs on RED. Thankfully the upbeat songs more than make up for it IMO.

The ballads on the first half stand up well against the upbeat tracks imo. I Almost Do, All To Well, and Treacherous are all AMAZING. After Holy Ground is where everything starts to fall apart.

Mau ®

cant wait to review Unapologetic
icq1fhgtk7grG.gif

veuMu.gif
veuMu.gif
veuMu.gif
veuMu.gif

______

Rolling Stone also reviewed RED. They compare her to Joni Mitchell *.*

Like Kanye West, Taylor Swift is a turbine of artistic ambition and superstar drama. So it's no surprise she manages to make her fourth album both her Joni Mitchell-influenced maturity binge and her Max Martin-abetted pop move – and have it seem not just inevitable but natural.

Red is a 16-song geyser of willful eclecticism that's only tangentially related to Nashville (much like Swift herself at this point). The album pinballs from the U2-tinged liftoff of "State of Grace" to the dubstep-y teen pop of "I Knew You Were Trouble" to "The Last Time," a sad piano duet with Gary Lightbody of Snow Patrol. Swift's bedrock is driving, diaristic post-country rock – see the breakup flashback "All Too Well," where she drops the great image of "dancing around the kitchen in the refrigerator light" with her ex.

Part of the fun is watching Swift find her pony-footing on Great Songwriter Mountain. She often succeeds in joining the Joni/Carole King tradition of stark-relief emotional mapping: "Loving him is like trying to change your mind once you're already flying through the free fall," she sings on the simile-monsoon title track, where banjos and vocoders make out like third cousins. But whether she's real-talking Jake Gyllenhaal ("We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together") or fantasizing about crashing "a yacht-club party" that sounds uncannily like the Kennedy bash she attended with her current future-ex-boyfriend Conor ("Starlight"), her self-discovery project is one of the best stories in pop. When she's really on, her songs are like tattoos.

Kyon

Banned
God I miss being a full time BeyHive member... I used to just go ratchet insane about everything she does and it never changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom