• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT3| Geo Da Silva > nails on chalkboard > Taylor Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aguirre

i1NJ8nFBdT3P5.gif

I dont think any of us are pretending Nicki is at Taylor's level, hell most of our faves aren't and couldnt

country charts
iYcWgmEo6P4wS.gif

royalan

You know, this might sound hella pressedT, I'll own up to that upfront, but is it really that fair to weigh our faves against Taylor's smashing right now? I mean, she has access to a GIGANTIC demographic that none of our Pop faves are really going for (or even could). Any of our faves could put out the best Pop record of the year, market it like crack, and still not reach the type of instant domestic success Taylor's had with "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" because Country radio wouldn't be checking for it.

Nobody has smashed like this since Shania Twain. Incidentally, another Country-Pop artist.

I just hope this doesn't inspire any of our faves to #TRYIT with Country records. :(

DMeisterJ

Banned
In terms of talking about actual successful pop stars, Rih has snagged her 23rd top 10 on the Hot 100 with #DIAMONDS coming in at #8 this week. It's increasing in digital sales, and is a multi-format smash getting major play on Urban even though it's a pop song.

Your faves tried tho. They really did. #poordat

Bladenic

You know, this might sound hella pressedT, I'll own up to that upfront, but is it really that fair to weigh our faves against Taylor's smashing right now? I mean, she has access to a GIGANTIC demographic that none of our Pop faves are really going for (or even could). Any of our faves could put out the best Pop record of the year, market it like crack, and still not reach the type of instant domestic success Taylor's had with "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" because Country radio wouldn't be checking for it.

Nobody has smashed like this since Shania Twain. Ironically, another Country-Pop artist.

I just hope this doesn't inspire any of our faves to #TRYIT with Country records. :(

Taylor could never be Shania. She tried.

133554318271.gif

Bladenic

In terms of talking about actual successful pop stars, Rih has snagged her 23rd top 10 on the Hot 100 with #DIAMONDS coming in at #8 this week. It's increasing in digital sales, and is a multi-format smash getting major play on Urban even though it's a pop song.

Your faves tried tho. They really did. #poordat

While Die Young rises to #5. Rih tried though.

133554318271.gif

Trigger

Nobody has smashed like this since Shania Twain. Incidentally, another Country-Pop artist.

I'm not so sure. 21 was just as big for Adele if not bigger and she doesn't have country radio's support.

EDIT- Now that I think about it, Adele didn't really market the album that much if I recall correctly.

royalan

Not to mention the fact that country completely ignored We Are Never. So yeah, Roy's post is completely false. As per.

133554318271.gif

Why are you always trying it with me?

By debuting at number 13 on the Hot Country Songs chart dated September 1, 2012, the song tied the record for the second highest chart debut on that chart with "Feel Like a Rock Star" by Kenny Chesney and Tim McGraw, and the highest chart debut by a solo country female artist, surpassing Carrie Underwood's "So Small."[34] On October 11, 2012, Billboard implemented a new policy for the Hot Country Songs where digital download sales and streaming data were factored into the 50-position rankings, along with existing radio airplay data monitored by Nielsen BDS. As a result of this methodology change, "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" jumped from No. 21 to No. 1 on the Hot Country Songs and became Swift's seventh song to top the chart.[35] In doing so, "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" became the first song to top both the country and Hot 100 charts since Lonestar's "Amazed" in March 2000.

tumblr_m1rvls7eNN1qhafj6.gif

DMeisterJ

Banned
Yes, I'm the flop for pointing out that Die Young is handily beating Diamonds. And you complaining over my gif. Pressed much?

133554318271.gif

Handidly? #DIAMONDS is winning on radio, tied on streaming, and losing in iTunes. That isn't handidly. Maybe you should brush up on your vocabulary, tbh.

And you wish I was pressed.

royalan

LOL what kind of self clocking? The only reason it jumped to #1 was because of the new rules. Country RADIO had largely ignored it. You tried.

133554318271.gif

Ummm...did you miss the part where even BEFORE the rules changed she had the highest DEBUT on the Hot Country Songs chart by a female artist, beating out reigning Country Kween Carrie Underwood by 21 slots?

Keep failing, Chris.

ixuAzTs2N2iMY.gif

Bladenic

Handidly? #DIAMONDS is winning on radio, tied on streaming, and losing in iTunes. That isn't handidly. Maybe you should brush up on your vocabulary, tbh.

Actually Die Young is winning digital, streaming, and only behind 3 million on airplay. But the downloads for the past week were 118k in Die Young's favor. Keep trying. You should just get prepared for Kesha to claim this generation's biggest hitmaker crown, considering she has yet to have a single song not enter the top 10, while Rih has had numerous that haven't.

133554318271.gif

Ummm...did you miss the part where even BEFORE the rules changed she had the highest DEBUT on the Hot Country Songs chart by a female artist, beating out reigning Country Kween Carrie Underwood by 21 slots?

Keep failing, Chris.

ixuAzTs2N2iMY.gif

Read my edit, I only read the last part of the quote. RIP me, I was clocked, I'll admit it. But again after that the song was falling before the new rules, so it was just the burst of airplay at the first, still good tho.

Trigger

I won't lie. I'm actually
mildly
anticipating Unapologetic. Taylor has scratched my country/singer songwriter itch for now, but I do need the jams.

DMeisterJ

Banned
All this false tea. Die Young is only 38k ahead of #DIAMONDS this week. And the biggest hitmaker is the one who is the highest selling digital artist ever, and the #1 Top 40 artist ever. And FYI, that's Rih.

Bye flop.

Artemisia

Banned

No excuse for Kelly Clarkson though.

Bladenic

All this false tea. Die Young is only 38k ahead of #DIAMONDS this week. And the biggest hitmaker is the one who is the highest selling digital artist ever, and the #1 Top 40 artist ever. And FYI, that's Rih.

Bye flop.

Lol what kind of typo, yes 38k is what I meant, which is a lot btw.

And I said Kesha was coming for that title, don't get so pressed already. Rih has been in the game a lot longer, and has had A TON more singles. Many of which flopped. Try again.

133554318271.gif

DMeisterJ

Banned
Just give it up. When clocked, accept defeat. You were clocked. Realize it and move on. Wrong about Taylor and wrong about Kesha. Multiple times.

Bladenic

Just give it up. When clocked, accept defeat. You were clocked. Realize it and move on. Wrong about Taylor and wrong about Kesha. Multiple times.

How am I wrong about Kesha? Have I said one lie besides that mistake on the DD gap? Everything else was true. Stay pressed.

133554318271.gif

Artemisia

Banned
Time for some tea!

I Knew You Were Trouble. has been certified GOLD. This was just a countdown single, btw. No promo of any kind.

Taylor's promo singles go gold, while others struggle to sell half of that with their lead singles.

fatty.gif

Bladenic

Time for some tea!

I Knew You Were Trouble. has been certified GOLD. This was just a countdown single, btw. No promo of any kind.

Taylor's promo singles go gold, while others struggle to sell half of that with their lead singles.

fatty.gif

Wait.... who's that? Is that Xtincta?

133554318271.gif

royalan

That is a clearly doctored GIF (just look at the warping of everything around her hips) of Xtina's Moves Like Jagger performance with Maroon 5.

Still...Rotundtina AfterEffectslera better STRUT!

fatty.gif

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_

figures Rihanna would be winning on radio where people dont have to pay to listen to her

iDSN4pUB3EXC8.gif

botty

Banned
Time for some tea!

fatty.gif

No promo... yet iTunes has dedicated what seems like the entire fall to Red, and its "countdown" singles.

Majmun

Can't wait for Unapologetic. A Rihanna album guarantees jams. Buying it for sure.

Going by Die Young, I don't think I will even bother spotifying Ke$hita's album.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Can't wait for Unapologetic. A Rihanna album guarantees jams. Buying it for sure.

Going by Die Young, I don't think I will even bother spotifying Ke$hita's album.

And I'm sure in 2 years from now you will be jamming to Warrior just like the rest of PopGaf is barely jamming to Cannibal

133554318271.gif

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Adele's 21 returns to the top 10 (at #9) after a six-week absence. This is its 80th week in the top 10. Only two albums can match that since 1963, when Billboard merged separate mono and stereo charts into one comprehensive listing: The Sound Of Music soundtrack (109 weeks) and Bruce Springsteen's Born In The U.S.A. (84 weeks).

That Skyfall working its magic

Artemisia

Banned
Unless taylor can work out some voodoo magic, 21 will be the top selling album 2 two years in a row.

How much has it sold WW in 2012 only btw?

Majmun

Sleazy is probably the only Kesha song I can still jam to. The bass slays my subwoofer, it's amazing.

The rest of her songs are forgettable.

Artemisia

Banned
Don't lump me into that group. kesha remains vile.

A banner that stayed on the front page AND a countdown timer.

Yeah, that's not promo at all.

Take it from us #Fighters. We know what promo looks like (and DOESN'T look like).

jonny_zps301882f1.png
jonny_zps301882f1.png
jonny_zps301882f1.png
jonny_zps301882f1.png
jonny_zps301882f1.png
jonny_zps301882f1.png

Whoever is handing Xtina should be ashamed of themselves. I could do better promo than whatever they're doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom