• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT4| asdfjkl;asdfjkl;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pft there is nothing inauthentic about how adorable 1D is.

iPabc8suaWHE5.gif

Yeah I am glad google is cracking down a bit on artificially inflated view counts.

Seems almost every major artist has taken some sort of hit to their views in the last year ot so.

Ooh thanks for posting. Streaming and its impact on the industry has always intrigued me.

I have yet to jump on the spotify bandwagon myself. but I have been considering it. The article mentions that as the subscriber base grows they expect royalties to go up as well, but until I see it actually happening I am VERY skeptical. The last thing we want is a music industry where the only source of significant income is touring.

Bladenic

Ooh thanks for posting. Streaming and its impact on the industry has always intrigued me.

I have yet to jump on the spotify bandwagon myself. but I have been considering it. The article mentions that as the subscriber base grows they expect royalties to go up as well, but until I see it actually happening I am VERY skeptical. The last thing we want is a music industry where the only source of significant income is touring.

Yeah, it is very easy to see why some artists are currently reluctant to allow their music to be streamed. The pay just isn't there. Now, if you are a huge success story, then streaming might not be a huge revenue venue but it won't affect you negatively so long as you still sell albums/singles/tours. If you're an unknown or indie act, streaming is basically the equivalent of being a waiter without the tips. Of course, streaming gives you a chance to become known to a greater range of people. The whole aspect of streaming is certainly a double-edged sword right now for artists and record companies, but I am very curious and excited to see what the future holds.

Yeah, it is very easy to see why some artists are currently reluctant to allow their music to be streamed. The pay just isn't there. Now, if you are a huge success story, then streaming might not be a huge revenue venue but it won't affect you negatively so long as you still sell albums/singles/tours. If you're an unknown or indie act, streaming is basically the equivalent of being a waiter without the tips. Of course, streaming gives you a chance to become known to a greater range of people. The whole aspect of streaming is certainly a double-edged sword right now for artists and record companies, but I am very curious and excited to see what the future holds.

I am as well. I may just try out spotify when I get back from class.

The ONE big positive I could see from streaming is that, while it is certainly less profitable than CD/Single sales and it cannibalizing those, it also has the opportunity to replace standard radio
which pays nothing to artists
over time. So maybe it will help broaden the pool of paying customers in the long term.

royalan

I am as well. I may just try out spotify when I get back from class.

The ONE big positive I could see from streaming is that, while it is certainly less profitable than CD/Single sales and it cannibalizing those, it also has the opportunity to replace standard radio
which pays nothing to artists
over time. So maybe it will help broaden the pool of paying customers in the long term.

I agree with this. Streaming isn't just a way for artists to get paid for allowing audiences to listen to their music in a way that's cost free to them, but it does this while upping the profile of the artist.

I agree with this. Streaming isn't just a way for artists to get paid for allowing audiences to listen to their music in a way that's cost free to them, but it does this while upping the profile of the artist.

Yes, but it can't ONLY serve as a way to get exposure or the format will die a slow death. It must be profitable enough to bring the high profile artists (the Rihanna's, Taylor's, and 1D's of the music world) into the fold in a consistent way. Without that it will never have the impact necessary to launch new artists either because the general public will not be using it.

Will be a fine balance they have to strike. I think they can pull it off though if they are smart about it.

royalan

Yes, but it can't ONLY serve as a way to get exposure or the format will die a slow death. It must be profitable enough to bring the high profile artists (the Rihanna's, Taylor's, and 1D's of the music world) into the fold in a consistent way. Without that it will never have the impact necessary to launch new artists either because the general public will not be using it.

Will be a fine balance they have to strike.

Are that many big artists keeping their music off of streaming services, tho? I always got the impression that it was mostly artists trying to ring out huge sale numbers (which then lead to more sales) keeping their albums from streaming. But, even then, those albums usually end up on services like Spotify eventually (Adele's 21 is an example of this).

I don't think services like Spotify will be too threatened if artists decide to keep their albums off the service for a period of time to maximize initial sales.

Both Taylor and Rih kept their music off with their latest albums. Taylor shows no sign of relenting. I expect that to be just the start of a trend since both of those albums outsold their predecessors. We will see.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Pour It Up was the most requested song on one of the stations today. Philly stanning for ha so hard.

Pour it Up is doing way too good for me. I wanted "Stay" to do better since it has an actual chance of being a #1 single, but PIU seems like it wants to be a huge hit.

Nemesis_

So I'm confused

Is the Destiny's Child Super Bowl reunion not happening or is Michelle Williams playing coy?

When asked about reports the chart-topping former girl group will perform together at Sunday's (Feb. 3) halftime show, Williams demurred, telling WRUG Media, "That's not confirmed. It is rumored. I'm going to be in the musical Fela. I hate to disappoint the people and tell them that it's not true."

She continued to say, "We did record a song with each other before the holidays. We have talked about it [reuniting], and you know, maybe one day soon."

As previously reported, Williams, Beyoncé and Kelly Rowland were said to be reuniting in New Orleans for a performance at the NFL's biggest game. According to US Weekly, the alleged set list includes a medley of their hits: "Bills, Bills, Bills," "Survivor," and new "Love Songs" single, "Nuclear."

What's interesting is that although Williams is fronting the Fela! world tour, she is not scheduled to appear in the musical from Thursday (Jan. 31) through Sunday (Feb. 3), according to the show's website.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/c...iams-destinys-child-super-bowl-reunion-is-not

ibsZQRqHCTNiYA.gif

Is she just lying because she can orrrr? >_>

DMeisterJ

Banned
iQQaAXtdqBk2f.gif

Tenitra is lying. It's so convenient she won't be appearing in the play that would keep her away from the Bowl on the day of the bowl. She needs to shut up and focus on not missing a step.

DMeisterJ

Banned
If Beyonce is headlining the show, why would there be such a Destiny's Child heavy set?

Because she doesn't have 15-20 minutes of hits to complete a solo set, she has to draw from the DC discography. And no one has done the SB half-time without special guests. And we don't know if it'll be a heavy DC set or just a minute or two of DC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom