• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT4| asdfjkl;asdfjkl;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koodo

Banned
It's ironic, because when Christina put out Back to Basics, she was kind of criticized by not doing it as authentically as Amy Winehouse, who made it big right around that time.
The damaging receipt.
ibif838z4mrADf.gif

Many the times that the immense delusion has driven the Fatters to claim Back To Basics (how prophetic) had middling sales because it took "risks," but here is Amy Winehouse executing a similar retro-soul album around the same time and selling an enormous amount of copies — more than any Xtigmata album has ever sold, in fact — and garnering radio hits.

I suppose the gulf in sales and impact is a given; the difference between a sincere, finely executed project and a middling, over-cooked and self-indulgent bowel movement.

A new day, another receipt for the tremendous Failure that Xtincta is and has been.

Bladenic

The damaging receipt.
ibif838z4mrADf.gif

Many the times that the immense delusion has driven the Fatters to claim Back To Basics (how prophetic) had middling sales because it took "risks," but here is Amy Winehouse executing a similar retro-soul album around the same time and selling an enormous amount of copies — more than any Xtigmata album has ever sold, in fact — and garnering radio hits.

I suppose the gulf in sales and impact is a given; the difference between a sincere, finely executed project and a middling, over-cooked and self-indulgent bowel movement.

A new day, another receipt for the tremendous Failure that Xtincta is and has been.

Sis, cut them a break. The Fatters have to live everyday knowing their fave abandoned the one venue that reminded people she existed for a supposed tour that probably will not happen. They must also live with the fact that their fave had only 2 high selling albums in her, both of which were handily outsold by current competition back then (to say nothing of how everyone outsold her 2006 onwards).

Nemesis_

I'm glad botty jumped ship to the true pop star of this generation while the other fighters throw insults like "she smells" at said star.

iP9EFXULYFV5m.gif

Koodo

Banned
P.S.: Qazaq has posted in this thread before, not the Fatters ignoring one of their own. You think it would be easy to notice another tinnitus afflicted since there's only about two or three of them remaining.

Anyone have a good source for decent video's of the grammy performances? Want to re listen to a few but can only find shitty camcorder recordings. (Does the grammy site usually put them up eventually?)

Bladenic

P.S.: Qazaq has posted in this thread before, not the Fatters ignoring one of their own. You think it would be easy to notice another tinnitus afflicted since there's only about two or three of them remaining.

Let us hope the last few remaining blood stans go extinct like their fave.

royalan

The damaging receipt.
ibif838z4mrADf.gif

Oh please. Don't get me wrong I love Amy (although I've always said Back to Black was overhyped and Frank was a much better album), but lets not pretend that BtB didn't take off on the strength of Rehab and Rehab alone - which was really one of those once-in-a-lifetime kind of songs.

At the end of the day, Back To Basics was a much poppier album than Back To Black overall. I don't think a strong comparison is fitting.

Amy DID punch someone out the game with that album though, but it wasn't Xtina. It was Joss Stone.

DMeisterJ

Banned
"Stay" went from 13% to 75% of #1 on iTunes in the last 24 hours.

This song is going to clock. Video Premiere in ~4 hours. Stay tuneD for more updates.

Should be interesting to see Stay's radio updates the next few days. I don't see the song going #1 on H100, but her team is handling the promo for it very well.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Entertainment Weekly said:
Rihanna, ''Stay''

This is how it's done: No booming dubstep breakdown. No backup from some random legacy artist. No ill-advised performance of that duet with her ex. It was just Rihanna, standing there by the piano in a simple black dress, ripping out her heart and her lungs and probably one or two of those red-lacquered nails she kept chewing on. Her already emotional rendition of ''Stay'' was made even more dramatic by the fact that the words — ''Funny you're the broken one / But I'm the only one who needed saving'' — may or may not have been aimed at her former (and possibly current?) boyfriend Chris Brown, who was sitting in the audience, looking about as broken as it gets. Mikky Echo showed up to play the part of the bad boyfriend, but the whole performance belonged to Rihanna. It was the best reminder of why she's famous in the first place: not because of those headlines from the 2009 Grammys, but because the woman can really sing. A- x

Did Entertainment Weekly Lie?

ibnRDChYljBmqe.gif

Mau ®

This better not suck with all the hype and promo.

I am nervous.

Not a huge fan of Stay, but good music video can make a song.

Well the video is gonna be very simple. Just her in a bathtub from her description and Mikky is in it too.

Im not expecting a huge video like WFL.

Fey

Banned
listened to stay and i have no idea how i missed it upon my first listening of diamonds or whatever the album is called

what a beautiful song, it's really great ;__;

Well the video is gonna be very simple. Just her in a bathtub from her description and Mikky is in it too.

Im not expecting a huge video like WFL.

Yeah this type of song lends itself to a simpler video. We will see.

listened to stay and i have no idea how i missed it upon my first listening of diamonds or whatever the album is called

what a beautiful song, it's really great ;__;

I like it a lot more than I did on my first listen through Unapologetic though I am not in love with it yet.

The Stay performance was some Lana Del Rey realness. Was kind of a bit too half-there for me. She seems to try so hard to nail fairly simple notes and it's aggravating when she can still barely hit them while standing perfectly still. I managed to find the JT performance though, and I love the Jackson 5 teas in that second song he performed. I hope more songs on the album sound like that.

DMeisterJ

Banned
I find it hilarious that the Grammys propelled many people's songs so far up iTunes, but Beyonce's SuperBowl performance failed to make any of her singles crack the top 10, and she had a decidedly bigger audience.

cory64

I find it hilarious that the Grammys propelled many people's songs so far up iTunes, but Beyonce's SuperBowl performance failed to make any of her singles crack the top 10, and she had a decidedly bigger audience.

Rihanna had 1/5 of the audience for 1/4 of the time (with 1/50th of the promotion) and gets Stay in the top 5, possibly on its way to #1.

Mau ®

I've been saying this for a while.

For all the hype and viewership, the SB did pretty much nothing for Bey.

Rihanna had 1/5 of the audience for 1/4 of the time (with 1/50th of the promotion) and gets Stay in the top 5, possibly on its way to #1.

TBH I think Bey would have performed similarly if she had performed a new (good) single.

I still can't fathom what she was thinking. I was under the impression that she had business savvy? Where did it go?

She's not promoting anything new, lol. Rihanna just released an album and she's only on her second single. And as far as I saw Single Ladies or Halo made it to the top 20 or 30. And those are old songs. Make sure the tea is hot before you spill it.

cory64

TBH I think Bey would have performed similarly if she had performed a new (good) single.

I still can't fathom what she was thinking. I was under the impression that she had business savvy? Where did it go?

She definitely would have, but she didn't. She botched the opportunity to represent herself as an artist with the illusion that she hasn't peaked yet in the eyes of the public.
And she's on the eve of her next era Soulsis, she announced a world tour, what are you talking about?

Trigger

Rih's team apparently got it. A superbowl performance + new single + new tour announcement would have been a great combo.

royalan

I'm so damn happy that Navy/Beyhive alliance is done.

Welcome to the team sis. *.*

Mau ®

She's not promoting anything new, lol. Rihanna just released an album and she's only on her second single. And as far as I saw Single Ladies or Halo made it to the top 20 or 30. And those are old songs. Make sure the tea is hot before you spill it.

Thats not really a good explanation.

When the Black Eyed Peas performed their Halftime show all the songs performed entered the TOP 10. In fact, "I've got a feeling" went back to #1 and that was almost two years after it had its incredibly long #1 run in the charts.

Beyonic is coming.

Think is looking VERY likely.

Last year I predicted she would do 400-500k opening week with her album, but I was acting under the idea that she would use the superbowl to launch the single, then the album within 3/4 weeks. Now its looking like it will be at least a few months before we we get an album. At that point all super bowl related hype will be a distant memory.

I find this New-Bionic story funny as hell.

Bey haters make sure to tune into HBO this Sunday at 9PM. Get your lives.

Its only funny if it turns out to be wrong.

The HBO doc will be cool but I doubt it will sell albums on the scale that the Super Bowl (or even the Grammy's if she had debuted there) would.

Thats not really a good explanation.

When the Black Eyed Peas performed their Halftime show all the songs performed entered the TOP 10. In fact, "I've got a feeling" went back to #1 and that was almost two years after it had its incredibly long #1 run in the charts.

Yeah, and Carly Rae Jepsen would have elevated "Call Me Maybe" back to #1 too if she performed. They're iTunes artists; when the boundaries of your "artistry" fall under the "singles over albums" mantra your singles will sell. What came out of Beyonce's performance was much more substantial; it brought the hype train back to work on her next projects. Just like Justin Timberlake's going to be riding on the hype behind his return, Beyonce will do the same. Tickets for her next tour just went into pre-sale and it's exceeding sales forecasts, and word of mouth has been expontentially strong for her since Sunday. She could have performed her next single but opted to resurge her past successes back into the public eye. It's a very common move for artists who have been on a short hiatus. The benefit of this strategy is making the public aware of your already eclectic portfolio while maintaining attention for what's next. Constantly performing new material at a high-profile event saturates what you've already achieved, but I suppose for iTunes artists like the Black Eyed Peas and Rihanna that's not really important.

She can hold on to the post-Super Bowl hype window for the next month or so. By then she'll surely have announced her new single(s) to keep the momentum going. But no, I'm not of the opinion that a high profile event demands new material. Remind people of the good shit you already have, goddamn it. It's probably why the generic pop listener would have a hard time reciting Rihanna songs prior to the year 2011.

cory64

At this point it sounds like she was so caught up in preparing for the halftime show and her documentary that Beyonic got pushed back too far to be relevant to her winter promo schedule.
It doesn't matter if she performed the single, it just had to be in her plans for early February 2013. You're criticizing the short-term memories of fans of other artists while expecting the general public to be around for Bey in a few months.
Not to mention that her performance was pure ADD, giving none of the tracks their own impact.

Its only funny if it turns out to be wrong.

The HBO doc will be cool but I doubt it will sell albums on the scale that the Super Bowl (or even the Grammy's if she had debuted there) would.

It's funny because it will be wrong. It's even funnier when it's an Xtina fan subscribing to this fanfiction.

Mau ®

Yeah, and Carly Rae Jepsen would have elevated "Call Me Maybe" back to #1 too if she performed. They're iTunes artists; when the boundaries of your "artistry" fall under the "singles over albums" mantra your singles will sell.

THE E.N.D. sold over 16 million copies IIRC.

Not a single Bey album has sold that amount.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Where the FUCK is the lead single to Beyonic?

What is she waiting for? She's selling tickets to a tour where she'll be performing this music and we don't have an album name, single release, or single name. It's ridiculous. What could she possibly be waiting for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom