• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT5| We Are Bionic, So Damn Bionic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
don't. this is embarrassing

I know, stanning a home-wrecker must be

2026_Meryl_Streep_Prada.jpg

Fey

Banned
yeah, no one has come even close to match MJ. I guess JT is the closest, but it's not like he has a lot of good competition.

Artemisia

Banned
Yeah, they're like the best I've heard her sound. That first and second verse are just <3

looking through roman reloaded, I actually find that I enjoy quite a bit of the tracks. Roman Holiday, Beez, I Am Your Leader, Starships, Whip It, and Roman Reloaded all slay.

Yup. Even at his best Timberlake just isn't there. Kanye has a more legitimate claim but he's not pop-focused.
Ya.

Obviously no one's going to match MJ's cultural relevance within our lifetimes, but JT would need at least three more "SexyBack"-caliber smashes to even qualify as a worthy heir. He'd also need to carve out his own unique identity instead of bandying himself about as some type of throwback artist.

Servbot24

Banned
Ya.

Obviously no one's going to match MJ's cultural relevance within our lifetimes, but JT would need at least three more "SexyBack"-caliber smashes to even qualify as a worthy heir. He'd also need to carve out his own unique identity instead of bandying himself about as some type of throwback artist.

Yeah, but consider how far he's come since NSYNC, I'd say he has the growth potential for originality. Give him a few more albums and see where he ends up.

No one else is really on the radar anyways.

cory64

Yeah, but consider how far he's come since NSYNC, I'd say he has the growth potential for originality. Give him a few more albums and see where he ends up.

No one else is really on the radar anyways.
Honestly I just don't see it. Has he really ventured that far past Girlfriend (last nsync single) outside of SexyBack?

PowderedToast

i would go with kanye. as mentioned he's not pop focused in terms of genre, but MBDTF had universal cultural impact - that's the important part imo. the originality and sheer quality of that record was magnificent. i remember watching runaway for the first time and feeling like someone was finally addressing the world with the urgency and relevance of how michael used to, gave me chills

Servbot24

Banned
i would go with kanye. as mentioned he's not pop focused in terms of genre, but MBDTF had universal cultural impact - that's the important part imo. the originality and sheer quality of that record was magnificent. i remember watching runaway for the first time and feeling like someone was finally addressing the world with the urgency and relevance of how michael used to, gave me chills

not to mention his brand of rap is barely recognized by rap fans anyways.

can't say "new KoP can't copy MJ" and then say "he doesn't sound like MJ so he's not KoP"

not that anyone here did that

Better than Skrillex.

maybe biggest upgrade ever made

royalan

JT isn't original enough to be the next MJ.

JT isn't as dedicated to music and performing as MJ was. MJ lived and breathed this life. JT took a seven year break between albums.

JT isn't BOLD enough to be the next MJ. People forget how much of a PIONEER MJ was. Even the critics who PRAISED 20/20 admit that it wasn't much of a "growth" for JT.

I guess as far as big names go Justin's the closest to MJ out of anyone in the game right now (and, even then, I'd say there are some key areas where Justin Beiber has him beat. Hell, I don't even LIKE Bieber and I can admit that). But really, being honest, that says LESS about how great JT is, and MORE about how fucking pathetic the Male Pop game is right now.

I mean, just look at the ladies' side. Madonna is easily the Queen of Pop, with accolades and impact to rival even MJ. And ALREADY there are several girls lined up with a legitimate claim to the throne, with real receipts and real impact to show for it.

In comparison, JT is MILES away from where he needs to be to even be CONSIDERED a "true" heir.

cory64

JT isn't as dedicated to music and performing as MJ was. MJ lived and breathed this life. JT took a seven year break between albums.

JT isn't BOLD enough to be the next MJ. People forget how much of a PIONEER MJ was. Even the critics who PRAISED 20/20 admit that it wasn't much of a "growth" for JT.

I guess as far as big names go Justin's the closest to MJ out of anyone in the game right now (and, even then, I'd say there are some key areas where Justin Beiber has him beat. Hell, I don't even LIKE Bieber and I can admit that). But really, being honest, that says LESS about how great JT is, and MORE about how fucking pathetic the Male Pop game is right now.

I mean, just look at the ladies' side. Madonna is easily the Queen of Pop, with accolades and impact that rival even MJ. And ALREADY there are several girls lined up with a legitimate claim to the thrown with real receipts and real impact to show for it.

In comparison, JT is MILES away from where he needs to be to even be CONSIDERED a "true" heir.

Yup, even Beyoncé and Taylor are more progressive and impactful than JT.

PowderedToast

I wonder why male pop is suffering so much right now?
they're all too influenced by the king and can't let it go. neyo, jt, beiber, it's all clone work

it's ok to be inspired by him, but take inspiration from his work ethic and commitment to pushing boundaries. what we got now is just pastiche, and jt (despite the good execution) is the epitome of that

although madonna is the established queen, who out of the current female pop stars is cribbing her? you can only make a case for gaga, and even then it's very wink wink and knowing, she still carries her own unique assets

I mean, just look at the ladies' side. Madonna is easily the Queen of Pop, with accolades and impact to rival even MJ. And ALREADY there are several girls lined up with a legitimate claim to the throne, with real receipts and real impact to show for it.

nailed it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom