• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT5| We Are Bionic, So Damn Bionic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Ke$ha and Pitbull are tweeting each other, hinting at a tour together

ihmbtM9PQeuUF.gif

Nemesis_

I guess, but she did have the Super Bowl and I remember reading a list here calling her the queen of pop, just saying someone would argue for her

Anyone who names a local legend as queen of pop has an agenda and shouldn't be taken too seriously.

iqzCCJrbCODLs.gif

An interesting question that I don't know the answer to.

MADGE STANS: Which was the era that officially crowned Madonna Queen of Pop?

I think Ray Of Light tbh, if anything because it showed that despite her being older than many of the girls who were entering the game and becoming successful at the time, she still had it and could come back with production and music that was fresh and unique.

To this day I've not found an album with the same tone or feel as Ray of Light tbh. It is somethinG else.

Then post COTD she lost it RIP

I said I would go see Ke$ha because I figure tickets would be cheap and I might get them for even less

but I'm not here for Pitbull, and not to mention he might raise the price

Yeah. It is what I hate about artists touring together.

If the rumors of Kelly touring with M5 are true I will not be paying for tickets. Just tour separately in smaller venues..... no one minds.

Nemesis_

ANNOUNCEMENT

You have ~~ TWO ~~ DAYS to nominate for the Community Awards.

http://tinyurl.com/PopGAFNomin

The deadline as been brought forward by about seven days, but most of you have voted anyway but everytime I post I seem to get two to three more entries :3

That is all.

Oh and

Wx2sQg8l.jpg

PowderedToast

is there a moment more potent or affecting than the end of man in the mirror?????

it's gonna feel real good!!!! U GOTAA STAND UP AND LIFT YOURSELF!!

ya gotta make that change. TO.DAY.

chaaanngeee

"make that change"

*dead*

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
can someone explain to me what happened to the radio updates

1. JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE – Suit & Tie: 157.709 (+1.455) ▲
2. BRUNO MARS – When I Was Your Man: 157.084 (+3.569) ▲
3. MACKLEMORE & RYAN LEWIS – Thrift Shop f/Wanz: 156.473 (-0.585) ▼
4. MAROON 5 – Daylight: 149.056 (-0.437)
5. TAYLOR SWIFT – I Knew You Were Trouble: 145.718 (-1.557)
6. BRUNO MARS – Locked Out Of Heaven: 113.914 (-1.448)
7. SWEDISH HOUSE MAFIA – Don’t You Worry Child: 110.304 (-2.530)
8. WILL.I.AM & BRITNEY SPEARS – Scream And Shout: 107.532 (-3.083)
9. CALVIN HARRIS – Sweet Nothing f/Florence Welch: 102.753 (-0.256)
10. LUMINEERS – Ho Hey: 101.452 (-0.220)

11. RIHANNA – Stay f/Mikky Ekko: 98.852 (+1.914)
12. MUMFORD & SONS – I Will Wait: 83.608 (+0.163)
13. KELLY CLARKSON – Catch My Breath: 82.370 (-0.658)
14. PITBULL – Feel This Moment f/C. Aguilera: 80.857 (+1.198)
15. IMAGINE DRAGONS – It’s Time: 77.583 (+0.147) ▲
16. RIHANNA – Pour It Up: 77.391 (-0.281) ▼
17. PINK – Try: 75.488 (-0.379)
18. A$AP ROCKY – F**kin Problems f/Drake: 68.108 (-0.473)
19. BLAKE SHELTON – Sure Be Cool If You Did: 66.270 (+0.365)
20. CARRIE UNDERWOOD – Two Black Cadillacs: 62.630 (-1.053)

HUNTER HAYES – Somebody’s Heartbreak: 61.066 (-0.078)
OF MONSTERS AND MEN – Little Talks: 60.841 (+0.445)
DRAKE – Started From The Bottom: 60.294 (+0.346)
LIL WAYNE – Love Me f/Drake & Future: 56.577 (+0.627)
FUN. – Carry On: 56.237 (+0.281)
LADY ANTEBELLUM – Downtown: 54.188 (+0.365)
PINK – Just Give Me A Reason: 52.246 (+2.499)
DEMI LOVATO – Heart Attack: 41.675 (+0.264)
OLLY MURS – Troublemaker f/Flo Rida: 41.181 (+1.155)
MUSE – Madness: 37.350 (+0.260)
KREWELLA – Alive: 35.988 (+0.252)
EMELI SANDE – Next To Me: 28.731 (+0.355)
TAYLOR SWIFT – 22: 26.053 (+1.058)
FALL OUT BOY – My Songs Know What You Did…: 25.573 (+0.471)
ICONA POP – I Love It f/Charli XCX: 25.410 (+0.242)

BRAD PAISLEY – Beat This Summer: 21.455 (+0.236)
NE-YO – Forever Now: 19.331
MACKLEMORE & RYAN LEWIS – Can’t Hold Us f/Ray Dalton: 18.753 (+1.809)
JUSTIN BIEBER – All Around The World: 18.123
JUSTIN BIEBER – Right Here f/Drake: 12.353 (+0.257)
PHILLIP PHILLIPS – Gone, Gone, Gone: 11.387 (+0.338)
CHER LLOYD – With Ur Love f/Juicy J: 10.134 (+0.064)
LUMINEERS – Stubborn Love: 9.759 (=)
THIRTY SECONDS TO MARS – Up In The Air: 4.140 (+0.839)
WILL.I.AM F/JUSTIN BIEBER – #thatpower: 1.543 (+0.514)
BRIDGIT MENDLER – Hurricane: 0.329

aside from a very few songs most seem to be getting minimal updates, did they restructured again?

There won't be anyone who touches what MJ and Madge have done for pop music. It's pretty telling that the acts that attempt to surpass them are mere homages to what they represented at their prime.

The word impact gets thrown around a lot and I get it a lot of it is tongue in cheek but as far as real musical impact everyone still looks and the King and Queen as the goal post.

That's not to say that new generations of people won't have their own pop icons but much like The Beatles and ABBA, MJ and Madge will be timeless in their cultural impact and musical legacy.

Partition

Banned
There won't be anyone who touches what MJ and Madge have done for pop music. It's pretty telling that the acts that attempt to surpass them are mere homages to what they represented at their prime.

The word impact gets thrown around a lot and I get it a lot of it is tongue in cheek but as far as real musical impact everyone still looks and the King and Queen as the goal post.

That's not to say that new generations of people won't have their own pop icons but much like The Beatles and ABBA, MJ and Madge will be timeless in their cultural impact and musical legacy.

Gaga already happened sis, and her ARTPOP will mean everything

ibdI45f08pvs7Z.gif

Gaga has novelty on her favor, which unfortunately for her is already wearing off. The litmus test is simple. Does Lady Gaga bring to music something that has not already been done before?

Partition

Banned
Gaga has novelty on her favor, which unfortunately for her is already wearing off. The litmus test is simple. Does Lady Gaga bring to music something that has not already been done before?

pffft lets not pretend all of Madonna's music was "original", all those lawsuits [d o n ' t . l i e]

tho please educate me where you have heard anything in pop like Bad Romance prior

You mean lawsuit for samples used on her music? She never has lost a lawsuit and on instances where they were used it was unknown to her. She collaborates with other people on her music as you know. Besides lawsuit of this kind are rather common for musicians in this day and age and baseless lawsuits are dime a dozen. The compositions are original. That's what counts.

A lot of music acts have a few good songs. Very few have decades worth of hits. If that's the measure we're using there have been countless others before Gaga to dethrone Madonna. There was Britney, Janet, Mariah, Beyonce. They all have great songs at their disposal and they have earned their place in music but none of them have achieved the heights Madonna has. Lady Gaga had her shot. Personally I think her time has expired.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I'd say Gaga is the closest there has been in a good while, but it's far, far too early to put her up there. MJ and Madonna are untouchable as pop artists go. Madonna these days, though, will never touch her old stuff. She also appears increasingly bitter, but that might just be how she comes off.

Gaga has an incredible star quality and is a great live performer - someone needs to tell her to lay off the fucking backing tracks, though. Guess we'll see when her third album drops if she can sustain it.

God forbid someone like Rihanna takes the crown - I saw her live and she had next to zero stage presence, though she was entertaining. That's not even some stan-war shit either, she was just very uncharismatic. That was early days, though, so maybe she's a better performer now.

Nemesis_

God forbid someone like Rihanna takes the crown - I saw her live and she had next to zero stage presence, though she was entertaining. That's not even some stan-war shit either, she was just very uncharismatic. That was early days, though, so maybe she's a better performer now.

This was the GGGB tour, I believe. The one with Chris Brown? Reports here were abysmal too, but from what I've seen she has definitely improved since then.

She certainly had to after that tour. :biblio:

She had scheduling conflicts for the LOUD tour and I think if she did come for LOUD then the market would've been over-saturated anyway. But I'm sure anyone would've taken the LOUD tour over Last Girl on Earth. I know a lot of people who went to the Last Girl on Earth tour just to see Calvin Harris.

But then I don't know if over-saturation is even a thing here since Pink played 58 dates here across four months for her Funhouse Tour. :/

Meanwhile you've got acts like Madonna who have not set foot on our shores for literally twenty years. :/

Reminds me of that time everyone paid to see the Pussycat Dolls just to see The Fame Ball and everyone left after PCD came on stage. It was embarrassing that their opening act had more costume changes and general "show" than the main act themselves.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Reminds me of that time everyone paid to see the Pussycat Dolls just to see The Fame Ball and everyone left after PCD came on stage. It was embarrassing that their opening act had more costume changes and general "show" than the main act themselves.

WaiT.

Gaga supported PCD? My my, how times have changed

Majmun

Except her last era makes BTW look like a massive blockbuster success. This automatically disqualifies her.

Fuckin bullshit. As if The Hag never had a flop album before. Hint: she had quite a few.

We had this discussion many times before. Bey and Gaga are the only current artist who can reach Hag's and Mariah's level. Bey has nothing left to prove anymore. She's been 15 years in the industry and is still relevant. The local comments are also crap. Her ww tour has sold out in record tempo. And it happened with no new material released. Her new era is about to begin and WIGS ARE ALREADY TREMBLING IN FEAR.
Gaga has a lot of potential because of her followers and talent. Her music is also great. She'll also reach legend status.

Acts such as Rihanna and Katy can be totally forgotten after a flop album. I don't see them being relevant anymore after they take a two or three year break from the industry.

cory64

Madonna didn't have any flop eras until American Life (20 years into her career, and it was still a #1 album).
And she swiftly recovered from that with Confessions.

Majmun

Madonna didn't have any flop eras until American Life (20 years into her career, and it was still a #1 album).
And she swiftly recovered from that with Confessions.

You got that wrong.

Her album sales plummeted with Erotica amd Bedtime Stories. Then recovered with Ray of Light. Then plummeted again and recovered with Confessions. Hard Candy and MDNA can also be named underwhelming when it comes to sales.

Beyonce's 4 als sold millions of copies and got to #1. But people still call it a flop...

cory64

I thought Erotica was a flop era (though not necessarily for the music)

It was a dip, but not quite a flop. Still 2x platinum in the US.

Like A Prayer was still down from True Blue. Erotica and Bedtime Stories were only flops in the sense that they sold fairly well and only had 2 top 10 hits each, compared to 4 doing 1/3 of IA...SF's numbers and having no hits, despite the deserved critical reception.

Majmun

Then I guess we can call Bey's 4 "a dip" instead of a flop. ^–^

Edit-

I think we also have to take piracy into consideration. It's currently far more rampant than it was almost two decades ago. Current albums selling ~3mln can be considered a success.

/damage control

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
More photos emerge.

180997_10151318625751qbusi.jpg

This was from the fashion parade. I didn't win because there were haters.

Majmun

Mumei is probably the stalker looking guy who's behind that window.

Wishing he looked as fierce as EatChildrencé.

I still haven't seen Mumei. I always imagine him looking like his avatar lol

Ollie Pooch

This was the GGGB tour, I believe. The one with Chris Brown? Reports here were abysmal too, but from what I've seen she has definitely improved since then.

She certainly had to after that tour. :biblio:

She had scheduling conflicts for the LOUD tour and I think if she did come for LOUD then the market would've been over-saturated anyway. But I'm sure anyone would've taken the LOUD tour over Last Girl on Earth. I know a lot of people who went to the Last Girl on Earth tour just to see Calvin Harris.
Definitely wasn't abysmal, no doubt she's heaps better now - she was cute and interacted with the audience well but seemed a little out of her depth at the time. I didn't hate it or anything. The venue was the Burswood Dome - a shit venue at the best of times. I think she's coming back, I might take the bf to see her. He's a bit of a fan *0*

Beyonce, on the other hand, was stunningly professional and just - a true performer. I find her music a little bland, tbh, nothing really singalong pop quality or anything exciting production wise (outside of Single Ladies - the main reason i went to her show) but she was just incredibly energetic and driven for the whole show. It was a hell of an experience.

One thing with Gaga - she's a real talent but that vomitous "my little monsters" thing is just.. eugh. That statement by her mother about how she mentioned her little monsters first when emerging from surgery was bordering on condescending, even though her adoring fans would say otherwise. I despise hero worship and that sort of stuff and she just rides it for all it's worth.

As for Madonna, she was 100% untouchable in her prime. Her and MJ were just incredible in terms of that mysterious star quality. She peaked with Ray of Light, imo, and since then has alternated by being supported by incredible producers (Stuart Price) and playing catch up (Hard Candy). She's in a weird middle ground at the moment where she isn't doing much of note at all. But that doesn't lessen her legacy. I'd love to see her in concert but she doesn't seem to want to bother.

Disclaimer - I was getting a lot of these tickets for free from a mate which explains why I was going to shows of artists I'm not huge fans of.

Nemesis_

Definitely wasn't abysmal, no doubt she's heaps better now - she was cute and interacted with the audience well but seemed a little out of her depth at the time. I didn't hate it or anything. The venue was the Burswood Dome - a shit venue at the best of times. I think she's coming back, I might take the bf to see her. He's a bit of a fan *0*

Oh, really? Maybe we were at the same concert? *O*

Tickets went on sale today for the Diamonds tour btw.

Beyonce, on the other hand, was stunningly professional and just - a true performer. I find her music a little bland, tbh, nothing really singalong pop quality or anything exciting production wise (outside of Single Ladies - the main reason i went to her show) but she was just incredibly energetic and driven for the whole show. It was a hell of an experience.

I kind of agree. I recently bought her whole discography because a certain SOMEONE here gushes about how amazing she is and I was left ultimately disappointed. There are some amazing and awesome songs peppered throughout her career but it's so inconsistent.

One thing with Gaga - she's a real talent but that vomitous "my little monsters" thing is just.. eugh. That statement by her mother about how she mentioned her little monsters first when emerging from surgery was bordering on condescending, even though her adoring fans would say otherwise. I despise hero worship and that sort of stuff and she just rides it for all it's worth.

Yeah, I think you're right about that. I don't mind it, personally, but I do agree that it gets to a point where she alienates everyone else who is (dare I say) normal and finds it odd to be called a monster and adored as one. I think the idea of all of that will be done away with her new era of ARTPOP, which seems to be more about unabashed, unapologetic fun and immaturity (if what she claims is true) rather than trying to send a message, which was what Born This Way was about [by no means do I think this diminishes the album in any way, btw].

As for Madonna, she was 100% untouchable in her prime. Her and MJ were just incredible in terms of that mysterious star quality. She peaked with Ray of Light, imo, and since then has alternated by being supported by incredible producers (Stuart Price) and playing catch up (Hard Candy). She's in a weird middle ground at the moment where she isn't doing much of note at all. But that doesn't lessen her legacy.

I wouldn't know, tbh.
8f70c6ea.gif

Ollie Pooch

So many mint highlights... truly of the season :O

Oh, really? Maybe we were at the same concert? *O*

Tickets went on sale today for the Diamonds tour btw.
*0* Yeah, I'd say we were. I miss Perth sometimes... SO glad that shithole venue has closed down though!

New Arena ftw. Will see how work goes.. picked up some new design clients so if the money starts rolling in... diamonds!
Dunno who the fuck chose that font on her poster though. I seriously think it's Brush Script. I should find out and get in there. She needs a new designer. Money can't buy you class, etc..
Yeah, I think you're right about that. I don't mind it, personally, but I do agree that it gets to a point where she alienates everyone else who is (dare I say) normal and finds it odd to be called a monster and adored as one. I think the idea of all of that will be done away with her new era of ARTPOP, which seems to be more about unabashed, unapologetic fun and immaturity (if what she claims is true) rather than trying to send a message, which was what Born This Way was about [by no means do I think this diminishes the album in any way, btw].
Yeah, at her show she got a litttttle preachy - nothing crazy but eh.. the rest was very tongue in cheek and enjoyable. I understand she feels she has to make a difference with her fame and influence, so I can get behind that. It's sometimes a bit on the nose but I think it comes from a good place.

I just latch onto shit if I enjoy it - at this point I either enjoy something or I don't. If not it gets binned - despite the preachy stuff I fucking love Born this Way. I only hope her new stuff has incredible electronic wall of sound production.

I wouldn't know, tbh.
8f70c6ea.gif
Too young? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom