• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT5| We Are Bionic, So Damn Bionic

Status
Not open for further replies.

cory64

they're all too influenced by the king and can't let it go. neyo, jt, beiber, it's all clone work

it's ok to be inspired by him, but take inspiration from his work ethic and commitment to pushing boundaries. what we got now is just pastiche, and jt (despite the good execution) is the epitome of that

although madonna is the established queen, who out of the current female pop stars is cribbing her? you can only make a case for gaga, and even then it's very wink wink and knowing, she still carries her own unique assets

Rihanna is copying her far more closely than Gaga, it's just not with music or iconography.

Servbot24

Banned
Rihanna is copying her far more closely than Gaga, it's just not with music or iconography.

on an artistic level though rihanna is irrelevant
in 10 years you're never going to hear of any new artist ripping off rih's style
i feel like you need to be a critical success as well as a financial one to be considered for the queen

cory64

in 10 years you're never going to hear of any new artist ripping off rih's style
i feel like you need to be a critical success as well as a financial one to be considered for the queen
Then why does Rita Ora exist? Why do people write "Rihanna" demos? Why are her features so sought after? She's more of an icon than people give her credit for.

PowderedToast

i remember when rated r dropped and slayed me with its boldness. felt like an album and not just a collection of singles. i was actually excited about where she was heading back then

wot happened

Then why does Rita Ora exist? Why do people write "Rihanna" demos? Why are her features so sought after? She's more of an icon than people give her credit for.

She sells well?

(Not actually arguing that she is not iconic, but it is easy to see why people write for her and seek features.)

cory64

Selling well is a huge part if it but I don't see anyone else mopping any of the other girls' style like that right now.

Trigger

i remember when rated r dropped and slayed me with its boldness. felt like an album and not just a collection of singles. i was actually excited about where she was heading back then

wot happened

Well, Rih does put out music at a pretty brisk pace compared to her peers. I imagine Rated R's quality was due to her having a stronger inspiration for her music at the time. I think she'll make another Rated R caliber album again (and depending on who you ask she already has).

Selling well is a huge part if it but I don't see anyone else mopping any of the other girls' style like that right now.

Eh. Thus far Katy and Rih have had very similar career trajectories. I don't see that Rih has done anything to really separate herself from her main rival in pop. Until she does that I am wary of making any proclamations about her long term impact.

Trigger

RIP

You know, The-Dream is secretly the king of pop now that I think about it.

ihmbtM9PQeuUF.gif

You'll have to explain that one. I don't see it.

Servbot24

Banned

the dude is behind umbrella, single ladies and many more, not to mention he has a couple classics of his own under his belt

obviously credits aren't enough for a true nomination but that's why it's secret

i guess he's more like a royal advisor or something

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
There will never be another King of Pop. No one is going to come close. MJ was about as iconic as you can get from almost the get-go, and it didn't seem like he was even trying -- not like these girls nowadays do or like Madonna had to.

As far as Queen goes... I'd argue that Madonna has basically been dethroned already. There are just 5 Queens now instead of one.

Or maybe I've just been reading too much Game of Thrones

There will never be another King of Pop. No one is going to come close. MJ was about as iconic as you can get from almost the get-go, and it didn't seem like he was even trying -- not like these girls nowadays do or like Madonna had to.

As far as Queen goes... I'd argue that Madonna has basically been dethroned already. There are just 5 Queens now instead of one.

Or maybe I've just been reading too much Game of Thrones

Never is a really, really, long time.

Someone will come along eventually (or someone that is active currently could blow up long term).

Fey

Banned
I still think Madonna is the Queen. There are many women who CAN become the "next" or "modern" QoP (which you can't say for MJ and his title), but I don't think anyone has come close to matching her legacy (though one or two have a good chance of doing so).

But she and Jackson will always remain the King and Queen for basically shaping pop music into what it is now.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
lol

Overall (on a worldwide scale) it is obviously a race between Gaga, Rih, Katy, and Taylor. Not sure who he thinks the 5th is.

Personally I think one will breakaway from the pack in the next few years.
5 was merely an arbitrary number. Maybe Britney, if I had to pick a fifth, but she's clearly slipping too.

royalan

An interesting question that I don't know the answer to.

MADGE STANS: Which was the era that officially crowned Madonna Queen of Pop?

Servbot24

Banned
lol

Overall (on a worldwide scale) it is obviously a race between Gaga, Rih, Katy, and Taylor. Not sure who he thinks the 5th is.

Personally I think one will breakaway from the pack in the next few years.

Gaga is in the race but she's on the slide and if she's continues that trajectory she'll be out
Can't really deny Katy or Rih, but they're just kind of there for me

Fey

Banned
An interesting question that I don't know the answer to.

MADGE STANS: Which was the era that officially crowned Madonna Queen of Pop?

imo Like a Prayer.
Albums 1-3 were solid 80s pop that pushed the envelope but LaP just went beyond, especially with the religious imagery. I think Like a Prayer proved she wasn't just a pop star, but something more.

PowderedToast

let's see these 'queens' reinvent themselves countless times over and stay on the top for the best part of 20 yrs straight

i feel like madonna's current whiff status is affecting yours memories. no one is even approaching her throne yet. they have PO-TEN-SHAL

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
On what world is Taylor Swift considered a queen of pop? How vile.

PowderedToast

Both were good albums imo.

One flopped though. One didn't.

One had an iconic megahit single. One didn't.

5 is probably bey's last chance at a huge era now i think about it. i loved 4 but too many misjudged singles (run the world was tragic) and lack of cutting edge made it a flop. she's obviously going hard with her new material to prove she's vital and relevant. imo she's just too vanilla to overtake her contemporaries, but we'll see

Can't really deny Katy or Rih, but they're just kind of there for me

same. does rih even have eras? she drops albums too quick for anything to resonate. gaga is only current one who understands the importance of the ERA and its imagery. that's the only way you get the hype of ARTPOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom