• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT5| We Are Bionic, So Damn Bionic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artemisia

Banned
Maya will come back in a few days when I am over this phase.

iuXvVvTqc1o6V.gif

Calisto Yew started the yew trend.

Only a legend.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
How do you figure? Gaga has her beat on album's, but not singles. Same with Taylor.

Rih has been around longer and has more hits, but Katy has BIGGER hits. Rih only has one 4x+ platinum single, while Katy has five from two albums.

Fairly certain gaga clocks her on all fronts

Poker face - 12.5m
Bad Romance - 9.7m
Born this way - 8.2m
Just dance - 9.7m
Telephone - 7.4m

Where as Perra

Firework - 8.1m
I kissed a girl - 8m
California gurls - 6.7m
ET -6.5m
Teenage Dream - 5.2m
Hot n Cold - 6.2

Perra may have more songs, but they cont reach the heights that Gaga did

Wiki receipts, have mercy

Edit: Majorly late with the T, but the point still stands

Majmun

Imagine Perra releasing albums on a yearly basis. She'd definitely snatch Rih's singles record wig.

And she'd still remain a mediocre pop artist.

Fairly certain gaga clocks her on all fronts

Where as Perra

Firework - 8.1m
I kissed a girl - 8m
California gurls - 6.7m
ET -6.5m
Teenage Dream - 5.2m
Hot n Cold - 6.2

I do not think these numbers are accurate. All of those were certified 4x+ platinum is the US alone, and several had 5 million + in the US. Specifically Firework passed 6 million in the US.

There is no way their WW totals are that low.

royalan

I don't recall MJ making the same song over and over.

I mean, you didn't lie but...

I'm not the biggest Bruno fan, but I do have to say that, of the men, he's the only one that I get an "unlimited potential" vibe from, like with early Michael.

JT and Bieber? They're kinda in their ruts. You KNOW what to expect from them, and you don't get the sense that they'll ever deviate from that.

Bruno? He's a great singer, a great musician, and an ELECTRIC performer (his Amy Winehouse tribute made go from "hate" to "tolerate"). And he has a real understanding of music. You get the feeling that he really could go ANYWHERE.

My only issue is he's so obsessed with cementing his place in this industry that he settles for making frat boy music. And INHFT.

But he flirts with Blues and Rock and Soul in all of his music. And he knows how to combine that with some great Pop sensibility. So I feel like if he ever decided to give us some next level Pop (in the same vein of Amy Winehouse and Adele...an MJ) he probably could, and better than JT or Bieber.

But I'll admit he hasn't done this yet.

In other words there were no lies and you are just pressed that people are not raining down praise on Rih and claiming she is the best at everything all the time?

Noted.

in4DgNxeI3Yit.jpg

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Not sure how I feel about a GaGa jazz album. I'll keep an open mind, though.

I bet the album will be great, but it's not what her fan base really wants. BTW was good, but after The Fame Monster...it's not what anyone wanted. Especially with the hype people gave it. ARTPOP better be amazing.

royalan

You guys aren't lying on Rih, but you're damn sure obscuring the truth.

Katy may have bigger hits, but lets not pretend that Rih's greater number of #1s over more albums and more genres and more charts doesn't mean anything. Rih clocks Katy overall.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
I bet the album will be great, but it's not what her fan base really wants.

Obviously since going from dance to jazz is a big departure but if it opens a new demographic to her and more acclaim then I cant complain

dance music isn't really a platform to show off your talent, a Jazz album is
49302c4d.gif

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I bet the album will be great, but it's not what her fan base really wants. BTW was good, but after The Fame Monster...it's not what anyone wanted. Especially with the hype people gave it. ARTPOP better be amazing.

Tbh, ARTPOP just needs to go back to being a bit dancier and less serious, and from what we've heard about the album already, it seems to be the direction she's taking it.

I'll probably get the jazz album but I cant imagine it will stay in my regular rotation. She has such a lovely jazz voice but that genre is really not my cup of tea

Interesting little pop fact,

The first week sales of Timberlake's 20/20 album is the same as the combined first weeks of Christina's last four albums.

You guys aren't lying on Rih, but you're damn sure obscuring the truth.

Katy may have bigger hits, but lets not pretend that Rih's greater number of #1s over more albums and more genres and more charts doesn't mean anything. Rih clocks Katy overall.

That's not really a fair comparison either. No one is claiming that Katy's discography is bigger than Rih's.

The question is who is bigger NOW (or at least the last few years), and Katy has just as legit of a claim as Rih does to who is the Queen of pop right now.

Is a #1 that only sold 2-3 million copies REALLY equal to a #1 that sold 5-6 million? I would say no. Rih has a lot of #1's, but those #1's were short lived and lacked impact for the most part.

DMeisterJ

Banned
There were actual lies posted on this the last page, but again, I'm not diving into them because it isn't really that deep. I just made a statement that this page was full of lies, and it is. If you don't like what I said, poor you. I'm a Rihanna stan, but I'm also a realist. There were actual lies posted on this the last page about her. I'm not taking notes to clock people, I'm taking note of people who have no idea what they're talking about so I don't waste my time on their posts.

ieR4aKlxltcxB.gif

Mumei

Mumei is probably the stalker looking guy who's behind that window.

Wishing he looked as fierce as EatChildrencé.

I still haven't seen Mumei. I always imagine him looking like his avatar lol

Only a couple people have seen pictures of me, and they are from when I was a kid. And I would have voted for EatChildrencé.

There were actual lies posted on this the last page, but again, I'm not diving into them because it isn't really that deep. I just made a statement that this page was full of lies, and it is. If you don't like what I said, poor you. I'm a Rihanna stan, but I'm also a realist. There were actual lies posted on this the last page about her. I'm not taking notes to clock people, I'm taking note of people who have no idea what they're talking about so I don't waste my time on their posts.

Cowards way out.

Calling out lies but refusing to name them is sad.

ieR4aKlxltcxB.gif

Especially since we all know you ignore people you don't LIKE, and it has nothing to do with whether they say lies or not.

If you want to ignore someone then do so. Don't need to accuse them of lies that you will not name.

royalan

Can someone find a link to the Jessie Ware song that's NOT prohibited on mobile so I can hear it? ;___;

WHY DO PEOPLE DO THAT!?!?!?

Fey

Banned
Possibly the worst thing ever to be said ITT? Mind-boggling. Bruno is abhorrent.

whoa
or0uuU2.gif

completely missed this post. i know you seem to dislike JT and 20/20, waffle, but he isn't THAT bad. FS/LS and Justified are much better than anything Bruno has out.

whoa
or0uuU2.gif

completely missed this post. i know you seem to dislike JT and 20/20, waffle, but he isn't THAT bad. FS/LS and Justified are much better than anything Bruno has out.

lol I base it completely on the fact that I don't change the radio station when WIWYM is on while I do with Suit & Tie.

Neither album is something I would purchase under normal conditions.

(I did buy UOJB from Bruno on a 1.99 Amazon sale though.)

Fey

Banned
I'll admit that talent show auditions play a role in my great dislike of Bruno.

the bad songs are what do it for me

lol I base it completely on the fact that I don't change the radio station when WIWYM is on while I do with Suit & Tie.

Neither album is something I would purchase under normal conditions.

(I did buy UOJB from Bruno on a 1.99 Amazon sale though.)

ok well if we're talking about current albums ... i would still say JT is better tbh, but it's not really saying much.

royalan

Possibly the worst thing ever to be said ITT? Mind-boggling. Bruno is abhorrent.

I don't yet Stan for Bruno's music (although I did eventually warm up to LooH).

But I will say it's refreshing to see a male Pop act come out in stage with a guitar because he's actively playing it, and not posing with one for the first few beats of a song like JT does.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I don't yet Stan for Bruno's music (although I did eventually warm up to LooH).

But I will say it's refreshing to see a male Pop act come out in stage with a guitar because he's actively playing it, and not posing with one for the first few beats of a song like JT does.

Katy Perry plays flute :eli:

P!nk its better than Bruno and JT. P!nk for King!

Did I lied?

Nope.

I think she needs to change up her sound since she has been on nuetral for a couple of era's..... but at least her sound is good.

Plus she could probably beat the shit out of both Bruno and JT.

Vazra

Nope.

I think she needs to change up her sound since she has been on nuetral for a couple of era's..... but at least her sound is good.

Plus she could probably beat the shit out of bother Bruno and JT.

I love P!nk (I used to stan P!nk on my teenage years) but the main problem for me is that the last album was the most disappointing thing I've heard from her. "Try this" album grew on me which in the beginning I thought it was garbage but the final one I believe I liked around 3 songs and the others while I dont skip them, they are not memorable. P!nk needs something different than the edgy pop star we usually see. The new album while gets it wrong has a decent idea but poorly executed. I would like to see a softer side or a even rougher side of her. Misunderstood still her best album but all in all she has a pretty great discography with bops and receipts to clock some bitches here.

pink-beach-abs-5.jpg

Bruno and JT should be afraid of messing with P!nk she could probably beat the shit out of them at the same time really.

I love P!nk (I used to stan P!nk on my teenager years) but the main problem for me is that the last album was the most disappointing thing I've heard from her. "Try this" album grew on me which in the beginning I thought it was garbage but the final one I believe I liked around 3 songs and the others while I dont skip them, they are not memorable. P!nk needs something different than the edgy pop star we usually see. The new album while gets it wrong has a decent idea but poorly executed. I would like to see a softer side or a even rougher side of her. Misunderstood still her best album but all in all she has a pretty great discography with bops and receipts to clock some bitches here.

I agree overall, but I really am in love with JGMAR. It saved the era for me.

I liked Try and Blow me initially, but now they do not work for me.

Not at all sure what I want from her at this point. She has a very defined signature sound that no one else does, and that is why she has been so successful. So how does she change without losing her audience? It is hard for an artist like P!nk to mix things up at this point in her career.

Servbot24

Banned

Honestly couldn't give less of a fuck about guitars, but you should check JT's medley on Fallon, was rockin the keys pretty well

Pink is ok I guess. Slightly annoying but I guess I wouldn't change the station. If I were sucker enough to listen to radio stations that is.

ieR4aKlxltcxB.gif

Something something Pressed

Something something Poor Dat

#Navy

Vazra

I agree overall, but I really am in love with JGMAR. It saved the era for me.

I liked Try and Blow me initially, but now they do not work for me.

Not at all sure what I want from her at this point. She has a very defined signature sound that no one else does, and that is why she has been so successful. So how does she change without losing her audience? It is hard for an artist like P!nk to mix things up at this point in her career.

The thing for me is that I used to like most of the albums of hers with maybe one or two being the meh ones. This final album did a twist that was unexpected that made multiple songs that work mostly for background noise than actually something to bop. I sometimes like to listen music and do nothing else and the album itself doesnt work like that and its used still when I'm browsing the net etc. So in the end its not like she did Rihanna's "Unapologetic" mediocrity which was with 2-3 good songs and the rest crap but Pink its 2-3 songs with ok and background music. She can actually mix it up since she has done songs like Who knew and Dear Mr President and they were actually good hits the thing is she needs to do some more like that while keeping some space for her Edgy Pop music.

I love P!nk but I wish she could try some more branching. Her cover of Bohemian Rhapsody was life giving and she has done some other covers for other genres that makes me wonder why she hasnt tried other things but keeping em pop-ish (Works for Taylor Swift half assed Country Pop) Still I'll keep getting P!nk music and supporting her cause besides being a good singer she is one of the best performers I've seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom