• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT5| We Are Bionic, So Damn Bionic

Status
Not open for further replies.

cory64

Soulscribe, I think how you're explaining things your system should just allot them points for every year and once they accumulate above a certain threshold they're queens. Otherwise the changes seem a little more arbitrary than they need to be.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
That could be it, it was the first time since her ascendance that she put out a video that wasn't a spectacle.

well TEOG is the last successful single she had so it would be a good place to say that is where her reign stopped

You and I was only a moderate hit here in the US and nowhere else
and of course we know what happen with MTN

royalan

Also, I don't think Taylor Swift is a Queen.

Sorry, I just don't.

To be a True Queen, you have to have more than just receipts. You have to have a big, out-of-the-box moment that serves as your coronation. That moment that lets the world know you're more than just the people who handle your career.

Every name Soulscribe listed has a moment like that BUT Taylor.

Right now all Taylor is is a big selling Country Pop artist. But we've seen that before from plenty of Country Pop girls who didn't go on to become queens.

See Madonna in the early 1990s. Her status was still supreme even though her music didn't hit mainstream.

ibgdTIuCqihKS1.gif

Keep It Together - #8 (No video)
Vogue - #1
Hanky Panky - #10 (No video)
Justify My Love - #1

Rescue Me - #9 (No video)
This Used to Be My Playground - #1

Erotica - #3
Deeper and Deeper - #7

Bad Girl - #36
Fever - (promo single)
Rain - #14
Bye Bye Baby (promo single)
I'll Remeber - #2

Secret - #3
Take a Bow - #1

royalan

Actually, I'm really interested to see where Taylor Swift goes from here. She has Queen Potential, but I don't think she can get away with doing another KIDZ BOP album. She needs to grow up.

That being said, Country does NOT like it when their girls grow up. Just look at what happened to poor LeAnn...and that album wasn't even BAD.

royalan

Why though?

Coz it seems that the overwhelming reason around here is because he doesn't have a vagina.

Think about it sis, and give me an HONEST answer.

Do you think that ANY of your faves could get away with releasing an album as safe and indulgent as 20/20? And not just release it, but to overwhelming "praise" and the biggest promotional backing since MJ in his prime?

Because I just can't shake the feeling that if any of MY faves did that with an album where 8 of the 10 tracks were over 6 minutes, Pitchfork would have a field day writing articles about this overindulgence and lack of editing being everything that's wrong with Pop music.

The sexism is real.

Majmun

Taylor a Queen? LOL

If there would be a current POP Kingdom, Gaga would reign as QUEEN and Bey as KING. Taylor would probably be the most popular courtisane. Someone like that can never reign, no matter the demand.

1. BRUNO MARS – When I Was Your Man: 161.358 (+4.274) ▲
2. JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE – Suit & Tie: 159.063 (+1.354) ▼
3. MACKLEMORE & RYAN LEWIS – Thrift Shop f/Wanz: 156.324 (-0.149)
4. MAROON 5 – Daylight: 149.104 (+0.048)
5. TAYLOR SWIFT – I Knew You Were Trouble: 143.507 (-2.211)
6. BRUNO MARS – Locked Out Of Heaven: 112.899 (-1.015)
7. SWEDISH HOUSE MAFIA – Don’t You Worry Child: 107.411 (-2.893)
8. WILL.I.AM & BRITNEY SPEARS – Scream And Shout: 104.964 (-2.568)
9. CALVIN HARRIS – Sweet Nothing f/Florence Welch: 102.716 (-0.037)
10. LUMINEERS – Ho Hey: 100.764 (-0.688)

11. RIHANNA – Stay f/Mikky Ekko: 100.226 (+1.374)
12. MUMFORD & SONS – I Will Wait: 84.307 (+0.699)
13. KELLY CLARKSON – Catch My Breath: 81.620 (-0.750)
14. PITBULL – Feel This Moment f/C. Aguilera: 81.314 (+0.457)
15. RIHANNA – Pour It Up: 77.574 (+0.183) ▲
16. IMAGINE DRAGONS – It’s Time: 77.236 (-0.347) ▼
17. PINK – Try: 74.826 (-0.662)
18. A$AP ROCKY – F**kin Problems f/Drake: 67.541 (-0.567)
19. BLAKE SHELTON – Sure Be Cool If You Did: 66.380 (+0.110)
20. HUNTER HAYES – Somebody’s Heartbreak: 61.440 (+0.374)

CARRIE UNDERWOOD – Two Black Cadillacs: 61.288 (-1.342)
DRAKE – Started From The Bottom: 61.056 (-0.238)
OF MONSTERS AND MEN – Little Talks: 60.651 (-0.190)
FUN. – Carry On: 56.645 (+0.408)
LIL WAYNE – Love Me f/Drake & Future: 56.330 (-0.247)
LADY ANTEBELLUM – Downtown: 54.680 (+0.492)
PINK – Just Give Me A Reason: 53.926 (+1.680)
OLLY MURS – Troublemaker f/Flo Rida: 42.016 (+0.835)
DEMI LOVATO – Heart Attack: 41.941 (+0.266)
MUSE – Madness: 37.481 (+0.131)
KREWELLA – Alive: 36.997 (+1.009)
EMELI SANDE – Next To Me: 28.997 (+0.266)
TAYLOR SWIFT – 22: 27.168 (+1.115)
FALL OUT BOY – My Songs Know What You Did…: 25.879 (+0.306)
ICONA POP – I Love It f/Charli XCX: 25.785 (+0.375)

BRAD PAISLEY – Beat This Summer: 22.283 (+0.828)
MACKLEMORE & RYAN LEWIS – Can’t Hold Us f/Ray Dalton: 20.502 (+1.749)
JUSTIN BIEBER – Right Here f/Drake: 12.427 (+0.074)
PHILLIP PHILLIPS – Gone, Gone, Gone: 11.713 (+0.326)
CHER LLOYD – With Ur Love f/Juicy J: 10.213 (+0.079)
LUMINEERS – Stubborn Love: 9.735 (-0.024)
JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE – Mirrors: 8.204
THIRTY SECONDS TO MARS – Up In The Air: 5.092 (+0.952)
ALICIA KEYS – Fire We Make: 3.980
WILL.I.AM F/JUSTIN BIEBER – #thatpower: 2.341 (+0.798)
CIARA – Body Party: 2.165

Fun update today so I thought I would comment on it. Bruno BLOWS past 20/20 into the #1 spot. Airplay is essentially a wash between Thrift Shop/S&T/WIWYM. Thrift shop will obviously have the edge on streaming while S&T will have sales.

Assuming Harlem Shake doesn't hold on for one more week at #1 the race should be very close between those three.

Another note is that WIWYM seems to be stealing Stay's thunder as the latter's updates have really been unimpressive lately.... I don't see it having a shot at #1 anymore, which is a shame since I think Stay is the better song. I also don't think Pour It Up has a chance even with it's re-release on pop...... which means there is a very good possibility that Diamonds will be Rih's only #1 this era.

Partition

Banned
I really wanted to be excited about Justin and like his new album, afterall he was the best male in pop by far (alive) atm. But I just can't stan for something as nauseating and boring as that album he put out. Makes Born This Way look like the least pretentious album ever made.

Majmun

I can't believe how well Bruno Mars is charting with his songs. The same with Maroon 5.

Their songs are so mediocre and very basic IMO

JT could make me a Gaga stan.

Can't let Disgustin have the #1 debut of the year.
Yas! You not only stanning Kelly but also GaGa would be amazing.

I seriously hope that my prediction about GaGa's ARTPOP sales comes true. I don't want Britney's sloppy seconds to rule this year either. Though, JT is hot... sooo hot, and I do bop to some of his songs. I'm just a GaGa stan, and I can't have her being overshadowed by anyone else this year.

Think about it sis, and give me an HONEST answer.

Do you think that ANY of your faves could get away with releasing an album as safe and indulgent as 20/20? And not just release it, but to overwhelming "praise" and the biggest promotional backing since MJ in his prime?

Because I just can't shake the feeling that if any of MY faves did that, Pitchfork would have a field day writing articles about this overindulgence and lack of editing being everything that's wrong with Pop music.

The sexism is real.

First of all, as far as pop artists go, The 20/20 Experience is the riskiest pop release in at least the last three years. Why? Because there is literally NO song on that album that can fluidly function as a radio single. That album was created to be sold as an entire body of work, and the current market is so toxic that for any pop musician to get by performance-wise is to create a barrage of iTunes singles that can at least GUARANTEE some kind of Billboard placement. When you're putting your stock in the idea that people are going to buy your album in this day and age instead of a handful of your singles, you are NOT making a safe choice.

If Justin Timberlake wanted to be safe then he would have released 3 minute Timbaland collaborations about how women need to "back it up" and fill it with extensive dance breaks so that he can do his signature dance moves on the VMA stage. The 20/20 Experience goes directly AGAINST what people were expecting from him.

Just because it made no real impression on you doesn't mean it's a "safe" project, because it's most definitely not. That album shows me that he, like Beyonce in 2011, knew that people were expecting radio titans on this album, and instead of following through with those pressures went with his gut and released something that HE WANTS in his name. Those are NOT safe decisions. They're the types of decisions that can make or break a career, and the fact that Justin Timberlake is coming out of this a more respected artist just goes to show that he called the industry's bluff. And that's a really fucking impressive feat.

And I could go on about the differences between men and women in pop music because I can make a pretty strong case for why men take more bold and risky choices in their music than women do, and that comes with the pressures of being a female pop star. I say that Lady Gaga is original and an auteur in her own right, but in terms of how SUBSTANTIAL her music is on MUSICAL level, her best doesn't come close to Justin's best. It has less to do with sexist sentiments across critics and more to do with fair expectations for both genders that are rarely ever realized.

Yas! You not only stanning Kelly but also GaGa would be amazing.

I seriously hope that my prediction about GaGa's ARTPOP sales comes true. I don't want Britney's sloppy seconds to rule this year either. Though, JT is hot... sooo hot, and I do bop to some of his songs. I'm just a GaGa stan, and I can't have her being overshadowed by anyone else this year.

Whatever JT gets I will simply add 200k to it and that will be my new Gaga prediction. Hopefully she goes ALL OUT with the marketing.

Partition

Banned
Gaga is like the Apple of the pop industry. All the lessor bitches perch on ha so they can see what she does and copy her innovations. Even her haters get excited about her releases cuz they know Gaga is the only one in the game willing to go outside boundaries; while their fave remains basic - lip syncing on stage and releasing an album like clockwork showing no growth or integrity as an artist.

educate.gif

Gaga is like the Apple of the pop industry. All the lessor bitches perch on ha so they can see what she does and copy her innovations. Even her haters get excited about her releases cuz they know Gaga is the only one in the game willing to go outside boundaries; while their fave remains basic - lip syncing on stage and releasing an album like clockwork showing no growth or integrity as an artist.

educate.gif

Drewface:
1. Claims Gaga is like Apple.
2. Proceeds to describe her as the exact opposite of what Apple is.

ivmv5kT9ATGB4.gif

educate.gif
Truer words have never been spoken. Bless. <3

@Waffles: If Interscope doesn't market ARTPOP with all they have, GaGa best pay them dust. Not here for flops due to bad marketing.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett Set to Record Jazz Album in June

The hip injury that led to Lady Gaga's canceled world tour last month will not prevent her from recording a jazz album with Tony Bennett as scheduled, Bennett told Rolling Stone in an interview Thursday in New York.

"We're working on it from now until June, and then we'll record in June. She's phenomenal," he said during a dinner at the Amy Winehouse Gala and Inspiration Awards, which recognized him with a Lifetime Achievement honor. "I get along great with her. She's looking forward to it and so am I."

ibgtQvygdATtlj.gif

Partition

Banned
Also I'd like to contest the notion that 20/20 was "unexpected".

Justin said for years he wouldn't be going back into music. Instead he decided to focus on his "acting" career where he stared in a slew of mediocre movies and not really doing much acting. All it did was boost his ego by a million. So when he came back to music because he couldn't find another cliche sci-fi flick to do, it really wouldn't make sense of him to go back making pop dance music; he's too cool and important for that now. So making a bloated album telling everyone how grown up and cool he is now was the absolute most predictable thing for him to do; if it was risky it wouldn't be about to do 800k based off a single that didn't totally smash.

Majmun

Bey not releasing her new album before fall?

That would be crazy. I'm expecting the album to drop before summer, tbh

Artemisia

Banned
Also, I don't think Taylor Swift is a Queen.

Sorry, I just don't.

To be a True Queen, you have to have more than just receipts. You have to have a big, out-of-the-box moment that serves as your coronation. That moment that lets the world know you're more than just the people who handle your career.

Every name Soulscribe listed has a moment like that BUT Taylor.

Right now all Taylor is is a big selling Country Pop artist. But we've seen that before from plenty of Country Pop girls who didn't go on to become queens.

I agree with you, but what about Katy? She hasn't had a moment AND other artists are cocking her with the receipts (Gaga, Rihanna, and Taylor).

royalan

First of all, as far as pop artists go, The 20/20 Experience is the riskiest pop release in at least the last three years. Why? Because there is literally NO song on that album that can fluidly function as a radio single. That album was created to be sold as an entire body of work, and the current market is so toxic that for any pop musician to get by performance-wise is to create a barrage of iTunes singles that can at least GUARANTEE some kind of Billboard placement. When you're putting your stock in the idea that people are going to buy your album in this day and age instead of a handful of your singles, you are NOT making a safe choice.

If Justin Timberlake wanted to be safe then he would have released 3 minute Timbaland collaborations about how women need to "back it up" and fill it with extensive dance breaks so that he can do his signature dance moves on the VMA stage. The 20/20 Experience goes directly AGAINST what people were expecting from him.

Just because it made no real impression on you doesn't mean it's a "safe" project, because it's most definitely not. That album shows me that he, like Beyonce in 2011, knew that people were expecting radio titans on this album, and instead of following through with those pressures went with his gut and released something that HE WANTS in his name. Those are NOT safe decisions. They're the types of decisions that can make or break a career, and the fact that Justin Timberlake is coming out of this a more respected artist just goes to show that he called the industry's bluff. And that's a really fucking impressive feat.

And I could go on about the differences between men and women in pop music because I can make a pretty strong case for why men take more bold and risky choices in their music than women do, and that comes with the pressures of being a female pop star. I say that Lady Gaga is original and an auteur in her own right, but in terms of how SUBSTANTIAL her music is on MUSICAL level, her best doesn't come close to Justin's best. It has less to do with sexist sentiments across critics and more to do with fair expectations for both genders that are rarely ever realized.

I don't think I agree with the idea that JT's album isn't safe because he didn't work with the obvious current producers for obvious radio bait. I mean, that's setting the bar kinda low, don't you think? He didn't have to work with the Guettas and Martins of the world, but I don't think working with Timbaland to create an album that even the fans admit isn't very far removed from his last efforts is a courageous move either.

Also, I don't think JT created this album without Radio bait in mind. His first single features an unnecessary verse from Jay-Z, and his second single is a love song with near-identical production to his biggest radio hit. The fact that it's 8 minutes long doesn't matter, radio will chop that shit down anyway. The amount of promo he's done for his singles also indicates to me the he expects them (or at least needs them) to be huge hits.

Basically, what you're attributing to "boldness" I attribute to JT relying on his safe bet and old tricks because he's largely been out of touch with where Pop has been the last few years. To me that's incredibly safe.

Hell, even Britney's taking a bolder leap into the future of Pop music if even HALF the list of rumored producers is true.

I agree with you, but what about Katy? She hasn't had a moment AND other artists are cocking her with the receipts (Gaga, Rihanna, and Taylor).

How do you figure? Gaga has her beat on album's, but not singles. Same with Taylor.

Rih has been around longer and has more hits, but Katy has BIGGER hits. Rih only has one 4x+ platinum single, while Katy has five from two albums.

Artemisia

Banned
How do you figure? Gaga has her beat on album's, but not singles. Same with Taylor.

Rih has been around longer and has more hit but Katy has BIGGER hits. Rih only has one 4x+ platinum single, while Katy has five from two albums.

Oop at my typo.

Well albums bring in more money, don't they? They are also harder to sell than singles (discounted singles in Katy's case, mind you). Gaga, Rih, and Taylor do very well with singles, just not as good as Katy. But when it comes to albums (and even touring) Katy is crushed by those three girls.

Partition

Banned
Oop at my typo.

Well albums bring in more money, don't they? Gaga, Rih, and Taylor do very well with singles, just not as good as Katy. But when it comes to albums (and even touring) Katy is crushed by those two girls.
I bet you Bruno and M5 don't do gangbuster albums either. These kind of singles artists come and go; they serve no purpose but to fill in the gaps on the radio. If they had true longevity, like you said they would have the tour receipts to show for it.

Oop at my typo.

Well albums bring in more money, don't they? Gaga, Rih, and Taylor do very well with singles, just not as good as Katy. But when it comes to albums (and even touring) Katy is crushed by those two girls.

Honestly, you don't make money from singles or albums nowadays. Just on a raw sales standpoint Katy still sold a good 6 million copies of her last album (roughly equal to Taylor and only slightly behind Gaga...and well ABOVE Rih) so I think she is still in the top tier of girls.

Touring is another question I suppose. I am not sure how Katy's tours have performed.

I bet you Bruno and M5 don't do gangbuster albums either. These kind of singles artists come and go; they serve no purpose but to fill in the gaps on the radio. If they had true longevity, like you said they would have the tour receipts to show for it.

Maroon 5 no, but Bruno sells albums very well. His last album matched the pop girls with 6 million WW. His current album has sold 2.5 million in only 5 months.

Edit: Beaten

cory64

He meant in the same way that JT is now.

Male Rihanna would imply that he's capable of slaying multiple genres at once. He's pretty one note in tone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom