• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT5| We Are Bionic, So Damn Bionic

Status
Not open for further replies.

cory64

G. Stefani/Stefani G.
*.*
conspiracy!

tumblrlgdlloljoc1qfiep0.png

royalan

I wouldn't mind a GaGa and Gwen collab. After No Doubt's latest flop, Gwen could probably use GaGa's help.

Blashemy

Push and Shove may have flopped but that album was amazing. No Doubt needs no help.

Besides, they're putting out a new album this year. *.*

I love the Avril snippet, I'm so ready for Tuesday

ibvaN8qpBc1lzc.gif

Oh the futility.

Kelly snatched her wig as the guitar driven pop/rock queen years ago.

How convenient that she is dropping a new single just in time to get clockeD by People Like Us.

You both can kindly fuck off. Push and Shove was flawless, and had no filler.

Is it really? I purchased it during an Amazon sale a while back, but I don't think I ever actually listened to it.

Cover art was hideous.

botty

Banned
Is it really? I purchased it during an Amazon sale a while back, but I don't think I ever actually listened to it.

Cover art was hideous.

Yes. It's ska/alternative, so it isn't for everyone, but that doesn't mean it is shit. Artemisia needs to stop trying it with Push and Slay.
And Nemesis is just being shady

iyxAcbwV4974W.gif

Nemesis_

Yep. Push and Shove is a surprisingly great album. I'm not surprised that Nem and Arte hate it. Not #TryHard enough for their tastes.

I like Push & Shove, I just don't like your everlasting agenda against the girls that matter.

Botty got it right.

Artemisia

Banned
Yep. Push and Shove is a surprisingly great album. I'm not surprised that Nem and Arte hate it. Not #TryHard enough for their tastes.

excuse the fuck out of you

1) I said it was average, not BAD.. It has some fantastic tracks in 'Push and Shove' and 'One More Summer'. The rest is quite middling.

2) Just how does any of what I listen to represent #TryHard
except gaga
I'm not some hipster looking for excuses to dislike fun music by popular artists.

ibdDBcCg4abfUO.gif

SaintZ

Oh the futility.

Kelly snatched her wig as the guitar driven pop/rock queen years ago.

How convenient that she is dropping a new single just in time to get clockeD by People Like Us.

Well I guess we'll have to wait and see. I wouldn't place any bets yeT. In the US, I don't know what's going to happen... but at least, for Avril, the promo has been good so far unlike her last era. And WW Avril has a lot more presence than Kelly. It's going to be interestinG either way.

ibiT1PuSECx6ux.gif

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Well I guess we'll have to wait and see. I wouldn't place any bets yeT. In the US, I don't know what's going to happen... but at least, for Avril, the promo has been good so far unlike her last era. And WW Avril has a lot more presence than Kelly. It's going to be interestinG either way.

ibiT1PuSECx6ux.gif

I am ready

just ordered new headphones for the summer anthem
imgoE7juFlSvV.gif

ibiT1PuSECx6ux.gif

Japan/a couple other Asian countries =/= WW.

Avril, like Lana, is a reverse local. Just because you are local to an area other than the US doesn't make you worldwide.

Either way I agree though. Should be an interesting dynamic.

Artemisia

Banned
Lana is pretty WW. What market is she local to?

Anyway, this whole local/global discussion only exists to for haters to discredit impressive sales. For some reason, selling an impressive number of records doesn't matter if they mostly come from one country.

The cunts try it with the lord too much.

Lana is pretty WW. What market is she local to?

Anyway, this whole local/global discussion only exists to for haters to discredit impressive sales. For some reason, selling an impressive number of records doesn't matter if they mostly come from one country.

Her album sold really well in many territories. Ok in the US.

She has failed to have a hit single since 2011 though. Even then it was mostly only a hit in Europe.

...and tbh your argument about why people bring up being "local" is BS in most cases.

The only exception is Taylor, and that is because she is NOT local.

In Avril's case her sales aren't even that good overall, even if you ignore her being local to Asia.

Artemisia

Banned
Her album sold really well in many territories. Ok in the US.

Selling in many territories is global though...? The US is one country. BTD sold well in several countries in Europe.

...and tbh your argument about why people bring up being "local" is BS in most cases.

Now wait. How many times have you heard a monster discredit the Teenage Dream album and singles sales by asking 'how much of them were from the US?'

Selling in many territories is global though...? The US is one country. BTD sold well in several countries in Europe.

Lets not pretend selling well in Latvia is equivalent to selling well in the US.

The US is FAR larger than any individual European country. May as well count every state in the US as a country as well.

Now wait. How many times have you heard a monster discredit the Teenage Dream album and singles sales by asking 'how much of them were from the US?'

I must have missed that.

Obviously WW sales are the most important. If you sold 10 million albums, you sold 10 million albums. I don't take anything away from her albums successful sales.

In Lana's case it is her lack of singles success/sales outside of Europe that makes her local. Her numbers there are not high enough to transcend the "local" label. Even IN Europe she has only had one hit.

cory64

Rihvising and expanding my Madonna singles list:

mdUgHm0.png

25. Deeper and Deeper [1992]
24. Open Your Heart [1986]
23. Miles Away [2008]
22. Nothing Really Matters [1999]
21. Take A Bow [1994]
20. Express Yourself [1989]
19. Music [2000]
18. Live To Tell [1986]
The first single from True Blue shook up her image a little for a moody ballad that stands out amongst her poppier 80s catalog.​
17. I'll Remember [1994]
A single from the soundtrack to a film no one's ever seen, this was a second glimpse at the Madonna of "Rain" following her controversial era, and she even introduced androgyny into the mix.​
16. Sorry [2006]
15. Get Together [2006]
Trippy and intoxicating, this superb cut from Confessions is almost a pure dancefloor track that shouldn't be allowed to end.​
14. The Power of Good-Bye [1999]
13. Hung Up [2005]
12. Bedtime Story [1995]
11. Like A Prayer [1989]
10. Erotica [1992]
9. Human Nature [1995]
8. Ray of Light [1998]
7. I Want You [1995]
While it was only a promotional single, this Marvin Gaye cover was given a masterful interpretation by Massive Attack to make it truly timeless.​
6. Bad Girl [1993]
This self-lamenting ballad is one of the most emotionally raw (yet catchy) singles Madonna's put out, and it has a fittingly melodramtic video to match, directed by near-deity David Fincher.​
5. Vogue [1990]
4. Justify My Love [1990]
3. Secret [1994]
2. Rain [1993]
1. Frozen [1998]

SaintZ

Japan/a couple other Asian countries =/= WW.

Avril, like Lana, is a reverse local. Just because you are local to an area other than the US doesn't make you worldwide.

Either way I agree though. Should be an interesting dynamic.
Say wut. She is pretty big in South America too. And she did good in Europe until GL. And clearly the GP is here for her since WTH went double platinum in the US.
Yes, Europe has been the biggest supporter of Lana and even though she hasn't had a single hit or any radio support, BTD has sold more than 500k in the US (not counting Paradise Edition or the EP), I hope The Great Gatsby helps ha in America.

Say wut. She is pretty big in South America too. And she did good in Europe until GL. And clearly the GP is here for her since WTH went double platinum in the US.

Yeah, but double platinum is not what it used to be. It is solid, but nothing to get excited over.

Do you have any info on her chart/sales performance in South America? Info is really spotty.

Artemisia

Banned
Lets not pretend selling well in Latvia is equivalent to selling well in the US.

But what does that have to do with judging an artist's global factor?

The US is FAR larger than any individual European country. May as well count every state in the US as a country as well.

But in the US, can promote my material on country wide programming. The X Factor and Today Show aired in NYC is the same one aired in some rural town in Alabama. That isn't the case with the whole of Europe which is divided into a bunch of countries, with varying markets.

royalan

Yes, Europe has been the biggest supporter of Lana and even though she hasn't had a single hit or any radio support, BTD has sold more than 500k in the US (not counting Paradise Edition or the EP), I hope The Great Gatsby helps ha in America.

I hope so, too.

Watching that Gatsby trailer, Beyonce's "Back To Black" cover was completely inauthentic, tryhard, desperate, embarrassing, and should be illegal.

Florence's song was great (and she was hitting some HIGH belts in that song).

But it was LANA who shone brightest with her musical contribution. I need her to make her acting debut in SOMETHING.

Artemisia

Banned
I hope so, too.

Watching that Gatsby trailer, Beyonce's "Back To Black" cover was completely inauthentic, tryhard, desperate, embarrassing, and should be illegal.

Florence's song was great (and she was hitting some HIGH belts in that song).

But it was LANA who shone brightest with her musical contribution. I need her to make her acting debut in SOMETHING.

Yall give lana and her drunken crooning too much credit smh

She was BLOWN away by Florence's powerfully moving vocals.

But what does that have to do with judging an artist's global factor?

But in the US, can promote my material on country wide programming. The X Factor and Today Show aired in NYC is the same one aired in some rural town in Alabama. That isn't the case with the whole of Europe which is divided into a bunch of countries, with varying markets.

It has everything to do with it. Borders are artificial lines on a map for political/economic/military reasons. Just because there are some lines on a map that say Germany and Austria are different countries doesn't make an artist who charts in both global. In fact I would say someone who pulls that off is much LESS global than an artist who sells in both Massachusetts and Kansas. Imo global means you have appeal across continents (maybe not ALL, but several).

The do have a lot of television in common. The continuity is growing rapidly now that most major countries require their students to learn English. Especially in the EU regions since travel between countries is so much more convenient.

royalan

Yall give lana and her drunken crooning too much credit smh

She was BLOWN away by Florence's powerfully moving vocals.

You hear drunken crooning.

I, with my superior taste, hear masterful restraint combined with exemplary interpretive ability and artistry. *.*

cory64

I heard Hips Don't Lie on the radio today and for some reason it reminded me of Lana *.*
her voice is mixed really weird in that too

Artemisia

Banned
You hear drunken crooning.

I, with my superior taste, hear masterful restraint combined with exemplary interpretive ability and artistry. *.*

I know she hardly comes in here anymore, and I don't understand half of what she says regarding vocals, but I hope Mumei clocks you on this.

SaintZ

Do you have any info on her chart/sales performance in South America? Info is really spotty.
Well, there isn't a lot of info (that I know of), I know that GL went Gold in Brazil thanks to this image (although it is really old). And she had some dates booked for the Black Star Tour over there. I'll try to dig some because I think she also became gold in Mexico (and she didn't come for that tour. Bitch) ETA: I'm dumb because it clearly says so in the wikipedia entry, oop. It is incomplete tho.

royalan

I know she hardly comes in here anymore, and I don't understand half of what she says regarding vocals, but I hope Mumei clocks you on this.

Even Mumei likes her tho...
Her lower register, that is. He's been pretty critical of the fact that she has nothing else in her arsenal, if I remember correctly.

Mumei hates Florence, tho. So be careful what you wish for. *.*

Well, there isn't a lot of info (that I know of), I know that GL went Gold in Brazil thanks to this image (although it is really old). And she had some dates booked for the Black Star Tour over there. I'll try to dig some because I think she also became gold in Mexico (and she didn't come for that tour. Bitch) ETA: I'm dumb because it clearly says so in the wikipedia entry, oop. It is incomplete tho.

I always get the vibe from Avril today that she has a youtube based fanbase. She always get's a ton of views, but they are spread out all over the world so her actually sales in any one place are petty meh.

SaintZ

Her lower register, that is. He's been pretty critical of the fact that she has nothing else in her arsenal, if I remember correctly.

Really? I still do not forgeT the -10 Mumei gave ha in the popgaf poll.

Yes, I'm a Scorpio, I do not forgeT.

Artemisia

Banned

Mumei hates her because none of his faves were called to sing a tribute to Aretha Frankin at the Grammys *.*

royalan

I dunno. Only Mumei can speak for Mumei, but I always got the impression that he liked some of her stuff, but was critical of the fact that she's one trick pony, vocally.

Even though, in my opinion, that one trick is one hell of a doozy.

Maybe if we start talking about his fave Beyonce enough he'll be roused to come in here and clarify his opinion. *.*

cory64

Nope Mariah.

Though these days it is hard to tell the difference vocally
8f70c6ea.gif
, as well as in the pulse dept if Idol is any indication.

Pulse sure, but vocally Britney wouldn't sound close to current Mariah (let alone classic Mariah) even with 4 weeks of nonstop processing in a render farm.

Pulse sure, but vocally Britney wouldn't sound close to current Mariah (let alone classic Mariah) even with 4 weeks of nonstop processing in a render farm.

Maybe Mariah should actually perform on Idol the prove it.

8f70c6ea.gif

Fuck.... I am hyped for Idol this week. Queen Kelly.

Hopefully she is in better vocal shape than she was for the Stronger debut, that was pretty meh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom