• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT5| We Are Bionic, So Damn Bionic

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaintZ

Here's To Never Growing Up has leaked...

i5grV1eRWujH4.gif

SaintZ

It has a lot of autotune and it reminds of another song...

It's really catchy tho. Better than Girlfriend and What The Hell...

I really don't think leaks this close to launch have any significant impact on sales.

In fact, I think most stans LIKE them, because then they can blame the leak when their fav flops.

:eli:

We'll see. Last time, What The Hell was given away for free and still sold a lot.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Here's To Never Growing Up has leaked...

i5grV1eRWujH4.gif

Sounds sorta like a rejected Taylor Swift song. Also the autotune and the repetitiveness to it I dont feel it. It had some potential tbh but the autotune and how repetitive is totally hurt it tons. It is boring as sis Fey mentioned.

Just finished listening.

It isn't bad, but not great either. Pretty much what I expected from Avril.

I am not optimistic about its prospects. It fits a similar niche as Heart Attack, but is a worse song.

SaintZ

My ranking of Avril's lead singles:

Complicated > Don't Tell Me = Here's To Never Growing Up > What The Hell >>> Girlfriend.

I can see this having some success as a summer song and the chorus is really infectious and catchy. I don't know why there's autotune in this song, it's not like Avril is an incompetent singer nor this was vocally demanding. I think I'll end up loving it with some time though.

I need Bey to release a ballad this week. All would be forgiven.

A really powerful ballad (not the wimpy kind like Stay or WIWYM) would slay I sense.

royalan

Balladry is the most lacking part of Bey's repertoire. She has exactly one iconic ballad (Listen), and that one isn't even great.

I don't know. A ballad in the spring/summer?

I think that is what makes it such a good idea.

For one, really there can only be a couple real summer songs a year, yet artists flood the airwaves with flop "summer" songs. Radio needs variety, and if you have the only ballad you WILL get played.

Plus it is unexpected.

If she goes trashy/ratchet then she is a lost cause.

Majmun

Balladry is the most lacking part of Bey's repertoire. She has exactly one iconic ballad (Listen), and that one isn't even great.

Speechless is great and shits on discographies.

I can listen to it all day long. Same goes with I Miss U.

Christina and Beyonce both have great ballads. I think Christina's best ballads (Hurt, Beautiful, Voice Within, Soar) are probably a notch or two above Beyonce's best, but saying Beyonce doesn't have good ballads?

- 1+1
- I Miss You
- I Care
- Start Over
- Halo
- If I Were A Boy
- Smash Into You
- Disappear (<3)
- Flaws And All
- Resentment
- Listen
- Speechless
- Me, Myself and I
- Dangerously In Love 2

That's an impeccable ballad portfolio. And about half of them have mainstream relevance (if that means anything to you). If anything you can argue that she has more ballads than she should considering her dance songs are (slightly) more naturally geared for her amazing vocals. She can kill a ballad but her flow on a beat is masterful. I'm hoping for less ballads and more hip-hop/dance tracks on 5.

Artemisia

Banned
So I am finally listening to the Sugarbabes and I am slain. I started with the only album they have on Spotify US, 'Taller In More Ways'.

Red Dress I fucking LIVE. I want to buy high heels and strut on a runway to this song ;_;

iWTbI6OaY5qSf.gif

Trigger

This is the only Speechless worth talking about.

I think that is what makes it such a good idea.

For one, really there can only be a couple real summer songs a year, yet artists flood the airwaves with flop "summer" songs. Radio needs variety, and if you have the only ballad you WILL get played.

Plus it is unexpected.

If she goes trashy/ratchet then she is a lost cause.

It still seems risky. I wouldn't start an era with it tbh.

Fey

Banned
So I am finally listening to the Sugarbabes and I am slain. I started with the only album they have on Spotify US, 'Taller In More Ways'.

Red Dress I fucking LIVE. I want to buy high heels and strut on a runway to this song ;_;

iWTbI6OaY5qSf.gif

denial >>>>>>>>>>>>>

royalan

Christina and Beyonce both have great ballads. I think Christina's best ballads (Hurt, Beautiful, Voice Within, Soar) are probably a notch or two above Beyonce's best, but saying Beyonce doesn't have good ballads?

- 1+1
- I Miss You
- I Care
- Start Over
- Halo
- If I Were A Boy
- Smash Into You
- Disappear (<3)
- Flaws And All
- Resentment
- Listen
- Speechless
- Me, Myself and I
- Dangerously In Love 2

That's an impeccable ballad portfolio. And about half of them have mainstream relevance (if that means anything to you). If anything you can argue that she has more ballads than she should considering her dance songs are (slightly) more naturally geared for her amazing vocals. She can kill a ballad but her flow on a beat is masterful. I'm hoping for less ballads and more hip-hop/dance tracks on 5.
I agree that Beyonce HAS ballads, and some good ones at that.

I just don't think she's a vocalist who's particularly KNOWN for her ballads. She has yet to nab that truly ICONIC ballad moment like Whitney, Mariah, Celine, Christina and Adele have.

Although, to be fair, I don't think she's really tried.

iWTbI6OaY5qSf.gif

Where have you been Sis!? I STILL use Red Dress. ;___;

Esch

Banned
Just popping in to say that it is truly FLABBERGASTING how dominant Queen Rihanna has been in 2012 and 2013. I'm not even hearing anyone else on the radio. She pretty much is doing it all, party anthems and the more introspective stuff. I don't see how you can say any other pop star is nearly as relevant right now

bow.gif
rihanna

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom