• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT5| We Are Bionic, So Damn Bionic

Status
Not open for further replies.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
New Back To Black preview.

iYKCScQiuh6Jy.gif
Interesting. It's always refreshing to hear a song covered completely differently to the original. I want to hear the whole thing though.

Emile Sande's Crazy in Love also sounds good, although a lot more conventional. I could see it appealing a lot to Fans of True Music.

Also this shits: http://open.spotify.com/track/6ZchVAtQVOP6lCnUIn4LWJ

Susanne Sundfør—The Silicone Veil (MAPS Remix)

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Interesting. It's always refreshing to hear a song covered completely differently to the original. I want to hear the whole thing though.

Emile Sande's Crazy in Love also sounds good, although a lot more conventional. I could see it appealing a lot to Fans of True Music.

Also this shits: http://open.spotify.com/track/6ZchVAtQVOP6lCnUIn4LWJ

Susanne Sundfør—The Silicone Veil (MAPS Remix)

I agree with the refreshing thing, but I hope Andre's bit is just the start so I can cut him off because he really was awful

Emile's version could well blow Beyonce's original out of the water for me, the snippet was just brilliant

That remix was really good too, really like Susanne's voice

Majmun

quick google translate quotes, because I'm too lazy to translate:

Beyonce has earned a place in the top ranks of pop music and put down a show of noble proportions, as befits her.
Somewhere between The Queen Of Pop (Madonna) and The Queen Of Soul (Aretha Franklin) she waves her scepter, adored by her subjects.

Nu.nl

Smoke. Fireworks. Confetti Cannons. Two stages. Visual effects. About eight outfits. A look that somehow reminiscent of Michael Jackson and a tribute to Whitney Houston.
Two greats in whose footsteps Beyonce would easily be able to follow, or actually already is

AD

The big new popfenomenen of the moment, Lady Gaga, Rihanna and Justin Bieber, all seem to have one thing in common with each other: their live presentation lags far behind their star status. :)DEATH)

Fortunately, there's Beyonce: a world star who convinces in anything she does.

Volkskrant

In her last movie said the queen: I was here ... Amsterdam definitely has known that. Only this Queen can rightfully sing: Bow down ..

Telegraaf

There are MANY other positive reviews out there. But I'm on mobile.

The Queen is easily slaying Holland right now.

Truly the musical icon of our time. Bless <3

... though how dare that one reviewer group Lady Gaga in with Rihanna and Bieber. He/she has obviously never seen her live. lol

Peru

Yeah Susanne Sundfør has a great voice, you should check her albums. I'm glad she's getting some more exposure globally, first through Royksopp and more widely through M83 Oblivion theme.

Aguila

#ICONIC
Did azealia perform at Coachella last night? It was on at 3:20am for me but I've got a crap ton of revision so I went to sleep before it
She didn't tweet about it and there's nothing in youtube so I'm guessing now?
8be5ead6.gif
8be5ead6.gif

Sis... let's just pretend she never said anything about Coachella
Neg_Man_2.png

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
The more I think about it the more cruel and unfair I think it is for TIME to tease Xtincta with the obviously ironic 100 Influential People accolade.

Have they never seen Carrie? They'll probably be annihilated by a ten million decibel yodel when the pig blood lands on her on stage at the awards.

This is some weak face. Bey can't do edgy. Her face is giving me Sears catalog realness.

THIS is how you do edgy HAUTE couture fishy face extravaganza realness:

ORuFbkp.jpg

MzdpiyK.jpg

Let's get GLAM

Ferocious.

Bey still does it better though. Only one of her pics from above have some soft-face, every other photo however is FIERCE.

Put my three faves in a photoshoot and you're guaranteed some sickening teas. <3

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Sis... let's just pretend she never said anything about Coachella
Neg_Man_2.png

I think I'll just focus on Lana who is doing flawlessly recently

That orchestral version of Young and Beautiful?

iAv5yKIVTpFKl.gif

SLAIN

edit: The Soundcloud just went onto florence - Over the love, and I swear it is the first time I've heard that version
Such good songs. For all the criticism they got for picking Jay Z to do the soundtrack, he has rounded up some fantastic tracks
Even that Fergie song is good outside of the dance bit

Majmun

How nice that Pink concert on Friday night was, this is on a different level. Lady Gaga and Madonna can't come close to this. Beyonce is the queen of pop music today.

Parool

Beyonce showed Sunday in Amsterdam that she is the queen of the music industry.

RTL

This universal acclaim. What kind of severe slayage

ibpXAcMlAGOMsQ.gif

Matt_

Considering everything is reused assets, it stands to reason that there is a high level of polish on the show.
Surprised there haven't been more critical reviews about the lack of new content/songs.

Would kill to see her live, but this gaga shade is unacceptable.

Majmun

Is that...Bieber? WTF

Considering everything is reused assets, it stands to reason that there is a high level of polish on the show.
Surprised there haven't been more critical reviews about the lack of new content/songs.

Bey is the best female pop performer in the world.

It's no shade, just the truth. Nothing comes close to this

irdazLdnwJZam.gif

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Lana Del Rey - Young and Beautiful (Orchestral Version)

Give this woman an Oscar

tumblr_me2b0t6Dfd1ry9y85.gif

Video is coming sometime today :)
I like this version better than the other, but I still want something more from it. It's a good song. It's her vocals I have a problem with. I want them to build and go somewhere after about the 2:27 mark...and they don't. They try, but they just aren't giving me what I want. Meh.

Who knows, maybe this is typical of her. I don't listen to her, so I'm not sure what she's really capable of.

CRS

I like this version better than the other, but I still want something more from it. It's a good song. It's her vocals I have a problem with. I want them to build and go somewhere after about the 2:27 mark...and they don't. They try, but they just aren't giving me what I want. Meh.

I kinda agree, only part I disagree is I don't have a problem with her voice. It's a great track but it never reached the high I thought it was going to reach. I needed some loud symbols, strings, something but never got it.

JCX

That's one of my few complaints about Lana. Ride is the only single where she seems to take the song up a notch in the last third. Videogames is great, but just kind of meanders around the same level.

Didn't see this posted. Billboard music awards nominations:

(I cut out genre specific non-pop categories. Get full nominations here!)

Top Artist
Justin Bieber
Maroon 5
One Direction
Rihanna
Taylor Swift

Top Hot100 Song
Some Nights
Somebody That I Used To Know
Call Me Maybe
One More Night
Payphone

Top Billboard 200 Albums
Babel
Red
Up All Night
Take Me Home

Top Duo/Group
Coldplay
One Direction
Fun.
Maroon 5
Mumford & Sons

Top New Artist
Carly Rae Jepsen
Gotye
PSY
One Direction
The Lumineers

Top Touring Artist
Lady GaGa
Coldplay
Madonna
Roger Waters
Bruce Springsteen

Top Male Artist
Justin Bieber
Bruno Mars
Drake
Flo Rida
Jason Aldean

Top Female Artist
Nicki Minaj
Rihanna
ADELE
Taylor Swift
Carly Rae Jepsen

Top Hot100 Artist
Maroon 5
Taylor Swift
Rihanna
Fun.
Flo Rida

Top Billboard200 Albums
Justin Bieber
One Direction
Taylor Swift
ADELE
Mumford & Sons

Top Digital Songs Artist
Carly Rae Jepsen
Taylor Swift
Flo Rida
Fun.
Maroon 5

Top Radio Songs Artist
Nicki Minaj
Rihanna
Maroon 5
Fun.
Flo Rida

Top Social Artist
One Direction
Rihanna
Katy Perry
Taylor Swift
Justin Bieber

Top Streaming Artist
PSY
Rihanna
Nicki Minaj
Baauer
Drake

Top Pop Artist
One Direction
Bruno Mars
Maroon 5
ADELE
Justin Bieber

Top Pop Album
ADELE - 21
Maroon 5 - Overexposed
One Direction - Take Me Home
One Direction - Up All Night
Justin Bieber - Believe

Top Digital Song
Fun. feat. Janelle Monae - We Are Young
Gotye feat. Kimbra - Somebody That I Used to Know
Carly Rae Jepsen - Call Me Maybe
Macklemore & Ryan Lewis feat. Wanz - Thrift Shop
Maroon 5 feat. Wiz Khalifa - Payphone

Top Radio Song
Maroon 5 - One More Night
Bruno Mars - Locked Out of Heaven

Top Streaming Song (Audio)
Fun. - Some Nights
Ellie Goulding - Lights

Top Streaming Song (Video)
Macklemore & Ryan Lewis feat. Wanz - Thrift Shop
PSY - Gangnam Style
Taylor Swift - We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together

Top Pop Song
Ellie Goulding - Lights
Maroon 5 - One More Night
Bruno Mars - Locked Out of Heaven

DMeisterJ

Banned
Billboard said:
In tallying her 10th leader, she passes Katy Perry for the most toppers in the chart's 20-year history.

Rihanna becomes the first artist in the 20-year history of Billboard's Nielsen BDS-based Pop Songs radio airplay chart to tally 10 No. 1s, as "Stay," featuring Mikky Ekko, rises 2-1.

Rihanna breaks a tie with Katy Perry, who's notched nine No. 1s since her 2008 arrival; also impressively, Rihanna has rung up her No. 1 sum since just 2006, when "SOS," her first leader, reached the summit. She'd last led with "We Found Love," featuring Calvin Harris, for eight weeks, marking her longest command, in late 2011/early 2012.

The record for most No. 1s is the latest for Rihanna on Pop Songs. She previously established the marks for most entries (35) and top 10s (23) dating to the ranking's Oct. 3, 1992, launch.

"Stay" also charges 11-7 on Adult Pop Songs, becoming her third top 10 on the list, and debuts at No. 30 on Adult Contemporary. (It's reached No. 3 on the all-format airplay/sales/streaming-fueled Billboard Hot 100.)

Also notably, "Stay" is only the second piano-and-vocal-only No. 1 of the 259 songs to have ruled Pop Songs. The first? The song that "Stay" dethrones after three weeks at the summit, Bruno Mars' "When I Was Your Man."

Here's a recap of Rihanna's record 10 Pop Songs No. 1s:

2006, "SOS" (one week at No. 1)
2008, "Take a Bow" (three)
2008, "Disturbia" (three)
2008, "Live Your Life" (T.I. feat. Rihanna) (two)
2010, "Rude Boy" (two)
2010, "Love the Way You Lie" (Eminem feat. Rihanna) (two)
2010, "Only Girl (In the World)" (three)
2011, "S&M" (one)
2011, "We Found Love" (Rihanna feat. Calvin Harris) (eight)
2013, "Stay" (Rihanna feat. Mikky Ekko) (one to date)

x

Rihanna & Bruno, their impacT

ifwbirCZHIAvS.gif

If you think about it outside the context of "there's no new material," it's still the quintessential Beyonce experience. It's the best show to go to if you want to see the biggest live performer in the world put on the best live show of her career. It's hard to find criticism in the show itself I guess.

And yeah, the Gaga dragging is ridiculous considering she's the number two live performer we have. I feel like with Beyonce in the game it's easy for people to give her praise while slamming adjacent acts only because the discrepancy in their live performances is so large. Rihanna and Gaga don't typically get praised at the expense of others. Bey's impact <3

Wafflecakes said:
Top Artist
Justin Bieber
Maroon 5
One Direction
Rihanna
Taylor Swift

Dear lord this list. This is why 2012 sucked.

Yes, it feels good to be blind to the ever-growing list of hard facts & figures tbh.

tumblr_lowvw1QNjF1qzclrjo1_500.gif

Facts that don't hold much water in the grand scheme of things. Sort of like when you ace like all 20 quizzes for your biology class but realize that they're each worth .5% of your overall grade, and then you bomb the final which is worth like.. 65%. Which I've done a few times too >_>

DMeisterJ

Banned
Facts that don't hold much water in the grand scheme of things. Sort of like when you ace like all 20 quizzes for your biology class but realize that they're each worth .5% of your overall grade, and then you bomb the final which is worth like.. 65%. Which I've done a few times too >_>

Your analogy makes absolutely no fucking sense.

Fey

Banned
Tour reviews are so silly. The same reviewers who are praising/will praise Beyonce's tour have probably said Madonna has demonstrated why she's still the Queen with the MDNA tour and that Gaga has dethroned Madonna with the BTWBall. It's so obvious they just unnecessarily shade other pop girls to get attention.

Bladenic

That Top Performers ballot is appalling on so many levels.

Anyway

Meet me under shining lights,
I've been waiting right here all my life
Feelings you can't deny that you're living, open up your eyes

1957.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom