• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT5| We Are Bionic, So Damn Bionic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fey

Banned
it's almost as if some of the posters here are deliberately averse to good music

ieNGfo5lb2859.gif

ibbA1GCDmHWlTh.gif

reminds me of how you're deliberately averse to good television

Sai-kun

Banned
DETAILLLSSSSS

Kiss and Not Tell ("It makes me want to kiss and not tell!") - A very warm, very smooth track. The baseline is really neat and drives it really well.
Sexotique ("i bet, he's at the sex-o-tique!") - Slightly tropical song, the synth part reminds me of I'm Not Your Toy. She doesn't sing as high pitched here, which is a pretty neat change. Kind of a sexy song.
Tropical Chancer ("I'm looking for a dancer, I didn't know he was a tropical chancer") - Sounds just like you'd imagine it. Very light and airy, very tropical and warm. Really really neat track.

Their new productions have a lot more guitar in them, it's really interesting. I didn't think guitars would suit their sound, but it just adds another neat layer to them. The new songs don't have as much 8-bit-sounding synth as stuff like Bulletproof/In For the Kill, but I didn't mind at all.

Artemisia

Banned
Kiss and Not Tell ("It makes me want to kiss and not tell!") - A very warm, very smooth track. The baseline is really neat and drives it really well.
Sexotique ("i bet, he's at the sex-o-tique!") - Slightly tropical song, the synth part reminds me of I'm Not Your Toy. She doesn't sing as high pitched here, which is a pretty neat change. Kind of a sexy song.
Tropical Chancer ("I'm looking for a dancer, I didn't know he was a tropical chancer") - Sounds just like you'd imagine it. Very light and airy, very tropical and warm. Really really neat track.

Their new productions have a lot more guitar in them, it's really interesting. I didn't think guitars would suit their sound, but it just adds another neat layer to them. The new songs don't have as much 8-bit-sounding synth as stuff like Bulletproof/In For the Kill, but I didn't mind at all.

They said they were going for a more smooth sound, with less of the sharp, angular production that was found on their debut. It sounds like they kept to that vision. Bless. It sounds like this will be a perfect summer record.

Icicle

Wait...

I am actually not crazy about it.

Between Ciara's outfit, the "turnt up" all-black party, the lighting/color scheme, and some of Ciara's dance moves, the video felt like I was watching a Rihanna video with Ciara in her place.

I don't think the silhouette shots worked as well as they should have, and cutting away to the dialogue scenes twice was an unusual choice (and definitely would not happen in a Rihanna video)

Overall, I don't think the video's concept fits with what "Body Party" is about. Oh well, at the very least it'll probably do well in Atlanta. The fact that DMJ had nothing bad to say about the video leads me to believe that my Rihanna comment was right on the money. Perhaps the video will be a hit after all then?

Edit: Ciara looks gorgeous in the video though. But when doesn't she?

DMeisterJ

Banned
Wait...

I am actually not crazy about it.

Between Ciara's outfit, the "turnt up" all-black party, the lighting/color scheme, and some of Ciara's dance moves, the video felt like I was watching a Rihanna video with Ciara in her place.

I don't think the silhouette shots worked as well as they should have, and cutting away to the dialogue scenes twice was an unusual choice (and definitely would not happen in a Rihanna video)

Overall, I don't think the video's concept fits with what "Body Party" is about. Oh well, at the very least it'll probably do well in Atlanta. The fact that DMJ had nothing bad to say about the video leads me to believe that my Rihanna comment was right on the money. Perhaps the video will be a hit after all then?

The reason I didn't comment negatively on the vid was because it wasn't awful. It was just there. It's nothing amazing, but it isn't bad. I don't get your Rihanna comment, since her vids have a higher budget than this video does. And it has no chance of being a hit since the song is dong terribly on the radio and equally terrible on iTunes.

It's a nice song tho, I already gave her my 1.29

Trigger

Ciara makes pretty good music. But it always flops. Must be cursed or something.

She's just very basic as an artist IMO. I think Ciara would be better off working as a choreographer than trying it with music. Her main strength has always been her dancing.

Icicle

The reason I didn't comment negatively on the vid was because it wasn't awful. It was just there. It's nothing amazing, but it isn't bad. I don't get your Rihanna comment, since her vids have a higher budget than this video does. And it has no chance of being a hit since the song is dong terribly on the radio and equally terrible on iTunes.

It's a nice song tho, I already gave her my 1.29

This outfit does not give you Rihanna teas?
4JT8Cy3.jpg

Ciara rolling around on the floor in a bustier to please her cigar-smoking man does not seem like something Rihanna would do?

Or the way she is 'dancing' on the couch from :48 to 1:05 and even how she moves her mouth in an exaggerated, "ghetto" way?

DMeisterJ

Banned
This outfit does not give you Rihanna teas?
4JT8Cy3.jpg

Ciara rolling around on the floor in a bustier to please her cigar-smoking man does not seem like something Rihanna would do?

Or the way she is 'dancing' on the couch from :48 to 1:05 and even how she moves her mouth in an exaggerated, "ghetto" way?

Does her outfit remind me of rih a bit? I guess

The dancing? No. Rih is stiff as a board when trying to 'dance'. She does well in synchronized choreography, but she oozes sex in just her face, rather than moving her body, so no, the movements don't give me any Rih teas.

Trigger

I said this already in Arte's OT thread, but the outro (and maybe even the entire second half) of Q.U.E.E.N. slays.
M1GDraI.gif

I'm here for the ArchFunkdroid.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
The song sounds more Erykah Badu than Janelle but its good. The beginning its basic as fuck but it picks up.

That Hewnelle song would be sooo much better if someone with some weight to their voice was singing. The rap at the end is trash. Erykah remains, as ever, flawless; albeit slightly tarnished via this association. I can see myself trying to listen to this again.

Bladenic

I said I wanted another Tightrope, she gave me everything and then more. Bless her, here for this new album.

Now let me go listen to ArchAndroid in full despite having it since last summer.

ieNGfo5lb2859.gif

royalan

Janelle's song is giving me everyTHING hunties.

That soul.

That Bounce.

That FUNK.

That Baduism.

That organic outro!!!!

This song is everything I wanted out of the 20/20 Experience but didn't get.

Vazra

Janelle's song is giving me everyTHING hunties.

That soul.

That Bounce.

That FUNK.

That Baduism.

That organic outro!!!!

This song is everything I wanted out of the 20/20 Experience but didn't get.

Badu gave me everything. Janelle was good but Badu stole the song IMO. (not like the way Wil.I.Am or Beyonce do but in a positive way)

Superman is alive! Welcome back sis.

I'm finally seeing the greatness in Adele's 21. I still prefer Florence, though. Gosh, a new Florence album would be so amazing. I want her to release one this year.

Vazra

:: Stereogum has been swayed: “It’s about love and aging and insecurity and her own self-diagnosed luminous beauty, and I like it, even if she actually does sing the words ‘makes me wanna party.’ It’s prettily luxuriant, and it has strings for days.”

:: MTV Hive quips, “…the titular line is pure Del Rey dramatics, packing a hefty self-doubt punch as she croons ‘Will you still love me when I’m no longer young and beautiful? Will you still love me when I’ve got nothing but my aching soul?’ Of course we will, Lana. Of course we will.”

:: Hypetrak is also enamored: “Letting her natural vocals do all of the work, Rey sings over the stripped-down instrumental, providing listeners with a beautiful, dark melody.”

:: Stupid Dope raves, “‘Young & Beautiful’ is a beautiful, big, smooth track that finds Lana placing her unique sounds upon a stripped down, yet emotional backdrop. This shit is too dope…”

:: Under The Gun Review is equally up on the lush downer track: “Del Rey finds a lonesome sense of soul in her lyrics, and the delivery throughout ‘Young And Beautiful’ makes you fall in love with her while simultaneously wanting to coddle her and explain that the world is not as terrible a place as it may seem.”

:: Add Missinfo.tv to those praising the song: “Meshing perfectly with the movie’s eclectic score, Lana delivers a song filled with soft, timid, and cinematic feeling.”

:: Finally, We Are Pop Slags sums it up with this: “Her cool delivery on ‘Young & Beautiful’ works wonders with the big drums and orchestral strings, which bring the song to a slow climax.”

Source
------------

Lastinline Chasing Pavements shits on 21.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom