• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT5| We Are Bionic, So Damn Bionic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
MISS CAMARADERIE ‏@AZEALIABANKS 4m
BEFORE JUNE! RT @GodIsMikey: When will we hear ATM JAM @AZEALIABANKS?

She is coming to end the drought
1SCy9.gif

I guess what he means is that the poll respondents seem to be skewed towards a particular genre thus being biased.

I mean, we probably are in the minory that love rap and country almost equally.

I actually disagree. Among the general public there is a very small minority who actively dislikes country. Most are apathetic. Rap on the other hand has a (well earned) negative perception across the board imo.

1D's new album is done. Will be announced soon.

Yeah this was reported a few days ago on ATRL. Though most think that when he says "done" it means that the songs have been chosen. There is no way that it has all been recorded at this point, and they have a month off near the end of summer when they would be recording.

Excuse you?
Don't make me get GAF-HOP.

I have nothing against Rap, but don't try to pretend artist like Azaelia, Kanye, etc have not 100% earned their reputations.

Artemisia

Banned
HAIM
‏@HAIMtheband

So sad that we cant make the upcoming vampire weekend dates��Wish we could've been a part of it,but we r days away from finishing our record��

release this shit in the summer you cunts

royalan

Yup. You can seethe about it though, and the public will continue seeing rap as the dregs of the music industry.

(I am not saying it is an accurate perception, but no effort is being made to change it either so I don't really feel bad for them.)

...you do realize that Hip-Hop albums are some of the most consistently best selling in the industry, right?

Yup. You can seethe about it though, and the public will continue seeing rap as the dregs of the music industry.

(I am not saying it is an accurate perception, but no effort is being made to change it either so I don't really feel bad for them.)

"They" only see it as dregs until a Macklemore or an Eminem comes along, then it's the best shit ever. But ok. I'll seethe.

ibxR2qB1yDGdj4.gif

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~

Ooh careful now

adb-341_zps7abc81d7.gif

rudimental_home.jpg

So I just got Rudimental - Home
I was expecting it to be more dubsteppy and dancey like Waiting All Nigt, but so far it's been really laid back with decent production and it's really good. Think some of you would really like it

Not Giving In (ft John Newman and Alex Clare and Baby (Ft. MNEK & Sinead Harnett definitely seem to capture the feel of the album better

I guess it's kind of grime? not really sure. Check them out anyway

"They" only see it as dregs until a Macklemore of an Eminem comes along, then it's the best shit ever. But ok. I'll seethe.

ibxR2qB1yDGdj4.gif

Well, there is rap written for general audiences, then they is rap for people who listen to rap. The two are very different.

Country is the same. There is a BIG difference between Taylor Swift and someone like Sugarland. They both may be country, but that are aiming to accomplish very different things.

I am going to be honest about my perception of the situation. I am no coward who feels threatened because others disagree.

Suburbia feels threatened by Urban music.

Matt_

I'd probably say the 'reputation' rap has it because of where it comes from, not because of the person doing the rapping
I'd imagine some middle-upper class white mum who is overly involved in PTA meetings would see it as the music of the Ghetto and therefore something her little angels must be protected from

Gotta love cowards beating around the bush and hinting at shade or other issues rather than just posting how they disagree with my points. If you are not willing to have a discussion or actually point out WHY you think I am wrong on a point why are you wasting everyone's time?

My comment of "well earned" was probably not the correct phrase. From my perspective the genre has celebrated its perception as being controversial which turns some people off.

@Matt. That is essentially what I was trying to get at. We were discussing a POLL of peoples perceptions of various genres. Do people REALLY believe that rap has a better perception in the public eye than country?

Matt_

@Matt. That is essentially what I was trying to get at. We were discussing a POLL of peoples perceptions of various genres. Do people REALLY believe that rap has a better perception in the public eye than country?

Oh of course not
But I wouldn't say it's negatively viewed across the board and I certainly wouldn't blame the artists in the genre

Much more to do with a culture divide and ignorance of what rap actually is than the actual content of the genre

royalan

Gotta love cowards beating around the bush and hinting at shade or other issues rather than just posting how they disagree with my points. If you are not willing to have a discussion or actually point out WHY you think I am wrong on a point why are you wasting everyone's time?

My comment of "well earned" was probably not the correct phrase. From my perspective the genre has celebrated its perception as being controversial which turns some people off.

Actually, yes. Although, I suppose it depends on where you're raised.

I was born and raised in Los Angeles - second largest city in the country. It wasn't AT ALL uncommon to hear people describe their music preferences as "anything but country" where I'm from. Same for a lot of liberal cities.

Rap, along with early Rock music, is often viewed as a harbinger of social discourse, change, and intellectual thought. Whereas country music is often associated with hillbillies, idiots, racists, and Republicans. I know that's largely untrue, but so is the idea that most people have a terrible perception of rap music.

Oh of course not
But I wouldn't say it's negatively viewed across the board and I certainly wouldn't blame the artists in the genre

Much more to do with a culture divide and ignorance of what rap actually is than the actual content of the genre

GifofMeNoddingInAgreement.gif

I was born and raised in Los Angeles - second largest city in the country. It wasn't AT ALL uncommon to hear people describe their music preferences as "anything but country" where I'm from. Same for a lot of liberal cities.

Rap, along with early Rock music, is often viewed as a harbinger of social discourse, change, and intellectual thought. Whereas country music is often associated with hillbillies, idiots, racists, and Republicans. I know that's largely untrue, but so is the idea that most people have a terrible perception of rap music.

I'm in LA as well, and I can co-sign all of that.

No it ain't. I live in Texas though.

Oh of course not

I blame a couple artists (pop has the same problems now and again), but I agree that cultural divide is a BIG part of it.

Mau ®

So I just got Rudimental - Home
I was expecting it to be more dubsteppy and dancey like Waiting All Nigt, but so far it's been really laid back with decent production and it's really good. Think some of you would really like it

Not Giving In (ft John Newman and Alex Clare and Baby (Ft. MNEK & Sinead Harnett definitely seem to capture the feel of the album better

I guess it's kind of grime? not really sure. Check them out anyway

Thanks for the heads up!

I wasnt aware they had an album out now. I'll test it out on my morning run!

Matt_

Kiiiiii
As a Brit looking in, this is me all over
Stereotypes are dumb.

I blame a couple artists (pop has the same problems now and again), but I agree that cultural divide is a BIG part of it.

Some artists are always to blame, but like you said every genre has certain people that spawn or embody the negative stereotypes that are attached to it
Be it the fakeness and autotune in pop, mindless noise in dubstep, metal bands doing animal sacrifice or rock stars being required to chuck a tv out a hotel window.

As I said, stereotypes are dumb, but unfortunately many people require them to be able to process things that are alien to them

I think there is a difference between someone saying that they would never listen to a genre, and someone who actively thinks a genre is bad or "immoral" (for the lack of a better term), which is how rap and some other genres (Metal comes to mind) are perceived by suburban/religious communities.

I do not think country has the same stigma, or at least not to the same degree, among those who dislike it. Though that may be changing with overall liberalization the nation is going through on many social issues.

DMeisterJ

Banned
I love rap. Drake is amazing. Speaking of Aubrey, Rih posted a picture on Instagram where she hash tagged the photo #nonewfriends, which if you do listen to rap music, is the name of the song that Drake sings the hook to.

Rih is stanning Drake again. *.*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom