• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT5| We Are Bionic, So Damn Bionic

Status
Not open for further replies.
pressed because rap is more global

i4ch0gQWZTdhr.gif

I honestly couldn't care less.

I don't feel all that passionately about either genre.

Mau ®

I love rap. Drake is amazing. Speaking of Aubrey, Rih posted a picture on Instagram where she hash tagged the photo #nonewfriends, which if you do listen to rap music, is the name of the song that Drake sings the hook to.

Rih is stanning Drake again. *.*

No New Friends is a line that has appeared on all of the singles from "Nothing was the same" *.*

I REALLY hope a collab happens. They're my absolute fave collab duo *.*

cory64

Actually, yes. Although, I suppose it depends on where you're raised.

I was born and raised in Los Angeles - second largest city in the country. It wasn't AT ALL uncommon to hear people describe their music preferences as "anything but country" where I'm from. Same for a lot of liberal cities.

Rap, along with early Rock music, is often viewed as a harbinger of social discourse, change, and intellectual thought. Whereas country music is often associated with hillbillies, idiots, racists, and Republicans. I know that's largely untrue, but so is the idea that most people have a terrible perception of rap music.
This tea.
"Everything but country (and metal)" is a cliche for a reason.

Touchdown

Banned
Lets put it like it is. Country sucks. Every song is about a damn boring pickup truck and a white blonde girl. I need a little more soul and flava.
tumblr_lw221iTPUe1qhbvuj.gif

Lets put it like it is. Country sucks. Every song is about a damn boring pickup truck and a white blonde girl. I need a little more soul and flava.
tumblr_lw221iTPUe1qhbvuj.gif

Responding to cultural ignorance/generalizations with cultural ignorance/generalizations.

The cycle continues.

I hate most country, but most of my family grew up rural/farming so I can see where it is coming from.

Touchdown

Banned
Responding to cultural ignorance with cultural ignorance.

The cycle continues.

I hate most country, but most of my family grew up rural/farming so I can see where it is coming from.

Seriously though, I'm not culturally ignorant at all. I'm just stating my taste in music honestly. I find country music boring. That's not to say there isn't good country music, that's just me saying I find it boring and have never had an emotional attachment to a country music song. Maybe if I did grow up in the south instead of NYC i would be more akin to connect with country songs, I can't say.

As an aside I tend to connect with songs from artists who have personally fought through struggle and found success, and connect to songs that have personal meanings to me. For whatever reason I just don't connect to country music or country music artists at all.

Seriously though, I'm not culturally ignorant at all. I'm just stating my taste in music honestly. I find country music boring. That's not to say there isn't good country music, that's just me saying I find it boring and have never had an emotional attachment to a country music song. Maybe if I did grow up in the south instead of NYC i would be more akin to connect with country songs, I can't say.

As an aside I tend to connect with songs from artists who have personally fought through struggle and found success, and connect to songs that have personal meanings to me. For whatever reason I just don't connect to country music or country music artists at all.

lol I figured.

It was just the way you presented it.

I don't even like (non pop) country, but I feel the need to defend it because no one else will.

botty

Banned

It's true, though. As someone who also grew up in NYC, I don't find that country music resonates with me. It's really boring, imo. Aside from the iconic country songs, and the occasional Carrie Underwood song, it just doesn't do anything for me.

iQYg7IQINLSpD.gif

cory64

We're music fans, constantly looking out for new stuff. I think most of us have sought out "good" country and it left us ambivalent or unable to find much else that resonated with us having not been exposed to a lot of it in the past.

Mau ®

I like country tbh. I listen to country radio quite a bit.

But I'm marketing oriented. I try to understand all segments so I'm naturally fascinated by what makes each segment different from the others.

Peru

We're music fans, constantly looking out for new stuff. I think most of us have sought out "good" country and it left us ambivalent or unable to find much else that resonated with us having not been exposed to a lot of it in the past.

Receipts needed.

botty

Banned
Peru, shouldn't you be recommending stuff? I know you think Taylor Swift and Miranda Lambert are brilliant, but what else is there?

royalan

I actually enjoy a lot of country music.

But I had some decent exposure to it. When I first moved to Philly 5 years ago a good friend and roommate at the time was obsessed with country music, and I listened to it enough with her that I actually began to enjoy it on my own. It's how I know who the Pistol Annies are. And I actually STANNED Taylor's debut album (I still maintain that she's utter shit now, though).

One thing I really love about good country is that it really emphasizes the art of storytelling via song. Really, no genre other than maybe Showtunes comes close to the level of narrative craftsmanship found in even mediocre country songs.

Although, a lot of people criticize country as being one of the least experimental of genres. From what I've heard, I'd have to agree. Country has a very specific sound, and if you want success in the market you don't venture outside of it.

Peru, shouldn't you be recommending stuff? I know you think Taylor Swift and Miranda Lambert are brilliant, but what else is there?

There are plenty of good country artists (I tend to hate most of that the males put out). The Dixie Chicks, Martina McBride, Reba, Jennifer Nettles, and Lee Ann Warwick all have some great songs.

I can't really list songs since it has been so long since I actively listened to country music.

cory64

My roommates first year of college listened to mostly country, and I liked it better than I had before but could never really get into any of it even after seeking it out on my own, just a decent sampling of recommendations I could find.

botty

Banned
There are plenty of good country artists (I tend to hate most of that the males put out). The Dixie Chicks, Martina McBride, Reba, Jennifer Nettles, and Lee Ann Warwick all have some great songs.

I can't really list songs since it has been so long since I actively listened to country music.

There is a Sugarland song I purchased once... I forgot what it was called, though. And I like that iconic Dixie Chicks song.

edit: The song was called "Love." Do they have more songs like that?

There is a Sugarland song I purchased once... I forgot what it was called, though. And I like that iconic Dixie Chicks song.

edit: The song was called "Love." Do they have more songs like that?

I am in love with "Stay" from them. Watch the music video. (I have yet to listen to the rest of their music so I cannot comment on it.)

The raw emotion is great.

Rih's Stay is the clearly inferior Stay.

Hey there Delio sis!

botty

Banned
I am in love with "Stay" from them. Watch the music video. (I have yet to listen to the rest of their music so I cannot comment on it.)

The raw emotion is great.

Rih's Stay is the clearly inferior Stay.

That's a nice song, but not my cup of tea. And the lyrics are a mess!

And, I am looking at their newest album... which is a "departure from country." Interesting...

I agree, Stay's lyrics are terrible.

That's a nice song, but not my cup of tea. And the lyrics are a mess!

And, I am looking at their newest album... which is a "departure from country." Interesting...

You can both leave now. Stay is flawless.

I also have a huge soft spot for Concrete Angel by Martina. I liked it as a kid, then re-listened to it a year or so ago. I bawled..... once you put the story together.... it is so damn depressing.

Delio

Shania is amazing, but I think any album she released would be a massive disappointment. So I am glad that it is probably never happening.

Good.

I wish I had more time to listen to music though. Been so busy lately.

I started listening to Baths recently thanks to Alex. Such a good guy. Im loving his album.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I have a question for you folks. Mostly out of curiosity from a post-hardcore person. What do you guys, or the sort of 'pop circles', think of Johnny Craig? I know he put out a more traditional album, but he was always one of those guys, drug issues aside, that seemed to have crossover appeal to become a big star since he's got way more range than just about any other post-hardcore vocalist.

Majmun

Respect is due to the Queen of pop

jbzk3Yc83lMkTi.png

Around 100,000 tickets for the Mrs Carter Tour sold out within an hour – with fans forking out at least £85.

It was even better than we imagined. We have had it planned for two years.

jb19yIT8phSt1d.png

We’ve had to eat a lot of fast food and we haven't had much sleep. But Beyoncé is worth it.

j93wHiiHst0u0.png

I just respect her so much. I am a performer as well and I can’t believe the way she sings and dances. I could see it again and again.

jZ2pVmwSkaiaW.png

Everyone loves her because she seems really genuine, she is a great mum, a role model, an amazing singer and dancer. She is just beautiful in every way

jdNQIUUikdPGm.png

UK just loooooves Bey

Nemesis_

How weird that people who "planned for two years" or attended a concert about Beyonce were so prepared to lavish praise on her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom