• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT5| We Are Bionic, So Damn Bionic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
578992290_700.jpg

It is a dangerous place where we put ART, but sacred where we make it.

she is slowly coming back to us

Also.... Queen Candice already #13 on itunes album chart with her preorders. She also has multiple banners including the main page.

Interscope giving lessons on how to handle promo.

a0IeuqF.png

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
As if Royalan's opinion has anything of value these days

with every single post it becomes more and more pressed
it fumes more than a steam house
ibylGSJRDpRpnw.gif

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
I see Selena has the #6 spot this week basically outperforming all of Demi's singles

I thought Demi was going to win this time around, guess not
iYPweVt3Heo3y.gif

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Dropping Demi already are we? Another day, another artist thrown aside by Marius_.

iYPweVt3Heo3y.gif

bye I havent I was just pointing things out since I believe
yall said and I was hoping Demi would have a better era this time around

although I should drop her since that album was terrible but I wont since I'm here for
her X factor judging
iYPweVt3Heo3y.gif

Nemesis_

I didn't want this to happen but now I feel like it has to.

RvQhNFz.png

I can't work out how to UN-GREY the songs on the new iTunes so that's why those songs are that way >_>

Obviously ignore the remixes :I

I hate writing "GaGa" so much that I edit my tags to make it otherwise - is that weird?

Nemesis_

They should just write her name in capitals like in all her recent work so just like ADELE, people will know LADY GAGA should be a force to be reckoned with.

izb5Jre4ArU3C.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Pitchfork have utterly SCALPED the Great Gatsby OST:

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/18035-the-great-gatsby-ost/

The concept behind the soundtrack to Baz Luhrmann's cinematic adaptation of The Great Gastby was born when excessive rain halted filming in Sydney, which gave the director the chance to connect with Jay-Z. The latter saw Gatsby as a tale of aspiration (check the novel's Rap Genius entry), and persuaded Luhrmann-- whose 3D production of the film was designed to draw audiences into the wild party scenes-- that a hip-hop-inspired soundtrack was the perfect way to convey the excitement and novelty of the Fitzgerald-coined "jazz age" to modern viewers.

But Jay-Z and music supervisor Anton Monsted didn't exactly commit to the theme; Jay's opening track, "100$ Bill", and the inclusion of his and Kanye West’s undeniable "No Church in the Wild" are the only full-on rap tracks here, with a few other, poppier songs hanging from the genre's coattails. Perhaps it shows Jay-Z’s knack for Gatsby-like social one-upmanship, allowing everyone to participate in his vision while remaining very much at the center of it, reveling in his influence. Either way, "100$ Bill” sets the thematic tone: “Benjamin Franklins filled, folded just for the thrill/ Go numb until I can’t feel, or might pop this pill,” Jay raps in cavalier fashion over a woozy, stuttering beat. The ecstasy side of the party platter remains resolutely untouched throughout the rest of the soundtrack, which grinds ahead with numbed, blithe bombast.

It half-works on Beyoncé and Andre 3000’s cover of Amy Winehouse’s “Back to Black”, which isn’t a song you could imbue with much more tragedy. Over a lightly EDM slurp-- the circular swoop of a helicopter hovering low-- there's a slow, screwed feel to the production and their vocal turns. Further along, love is by turns "blind" on Jack White’s excruciatingly overwrought cover of U2's "Love is Blindness", maddening on Emeli Sandé and the Bryan Ferry Orchestra’s dull-but-tasteful, jazz-lite cover of “Crazy in Love”, a sickness on Will.I.Am’s torturous EDM jazz-hands scat, “Bang Bang”, and narcotic on Ferry’s reinterpretation of Roxy Music’s “Love Is the Drug”. It’s telling of how ill conceived this defiantly modernity-inclined collection is that a 67-year-old crooning a nearly 40-year-old song is the sexiest thing here, the high point of a perfunctory, blockbuster bacchanal that displays a stunning lack of imagination among what's meant to be the cream of pop's crop.

Unsurprisingly, Fergie, Q-Tip and GoonRock’s “A Little Party Never Killed Nobody (All We Got)” is an inane, cartoonish take on EDM’s scrunch, twist, and punch; Quadron singer Coco O’s “Where the Wind Blows” is light, Paloma Faith-indebted fare; Nero do Nero, and Lana Del Rey’s “Young and Beautiful” is exactly what you’d expect a Lana Del Rey song called “Young and Beautiful” to sound like, down to the yep,she actually went there line, “Oh that face, makes me wanna party.” The supposedly artsy singer who really demonstrates a dizzying lack of vision is Florence Welch, whose “Over the Love” is first a small, trembling piano ballad before she puts her dreadful, blaring yell to work shouting a reference to the book's most obvious symbol, “I can see the green light/ I can see it in your eyes.”

The xx and Gotye bring the only touches of anything approaching humanity to the soundtrack; the former on the slightly tedious attempt at high-stakes emoting “Together”, the latter on his intricate 2007 single “Heart’s a Mess”, where he almost rivals Bryan Ferry for a genuinely impassioned vocal turn (even if he gets there by sounding like Sting). Neither Fitzgerald nor Luhrmann’s Gatsby is about subtlety, that's for sure; vulgarity is key, which this soundtrack has in abundance. But regardless of how trite the songs are, they also fail to provide anything akin to an enjoyable or immersive experience-- the combined effect is bludgeoning and fragmented. “This album is amazing. It’s not going to be for the club you know? It’s for driving with the windows down. I suggest you buy a car for the soundtrack, or a bike-- something that moves,” Jay-Z said. Most of the cars in The Great Gatsby crash and so does Luhrman's soundtrack.

Nemesis_

I bought the Gatsby soundtrack but I think I should've properly listened to it first. I was hyped a little bit and I kind of regret it.

BUT the tracks I like I really like (The xx, Lana and Nero). Gotye I already owned though.

I just realised the beginning of Young & Beautiful gives me heavy Majora's Mask teas, I can't remember which song though.

Godel just reminded me (simply by existing) that I haven't heard about Kylie for a while. Her albumis coming this year, right? Did we know she was working with these people? I most certainly didn't know about Pharrell or Darkchild.

KYLIE Minogue fans can expect her first new album since signing with Jay-Z's Roc Nation to drop later this year.

The Australian pop princess is recording primarily in Los Angeles, already completing sessions with Pharrell and Stargate as well as American hitmaker Rodney "Darkchild" Jerkins who has a string of smashes by female artists behind him.

Minogue said the new album would be "different". Several times.

"It's bringing out something different in me, which is cool," Minogue told Rolling Stone
as she was given the Courage Award at a Women's Cancer Research Fund event in Beverly Hills.

"I need to know what it is to do something different, a different style of delivery, different beats, different subject matter.

"I think that I am a natural chameleon, so that floats my boat . . . I will maintain the DNA of what a Kylie track is, just because I'm on it. I like to try move the goalpost and experiment with different sounds.

"I can't tell you exactly what it is. I couldn't really describe it yet. But I can tell you I'm having a lot of fun in the process."

She said the album would be released this year.

"I'm hoping sooner rather than later. Is that vague enough?" she said.

Minogue also hinted that a tour would follow.

While she didn't perform at the event,. Minogue was due to make a speech about her own experience with breast cancer.

She said she found it more nerve-wracking to speak than perform.

"I don't like to talk too much about my experience because it's super personal, but I do speak about it because it's important and it's not something you can give sound bites on. It's a profound, life-changing experience, and there are so many emotional levels and stories within that story it's hard to wrap up how you feel about it in a few nifty minutes."

SHE IS COMING

Kylie-SheRa-Transform.gif

I don't think Kylie gets enough GIF love so I'm starting a small collection that I'll add to as time goes by (I also remade the DEAD jumping into pool one that Godel loved but it was hard since Australia took so long to start filming music videos on HD >_> but it still looks better than the original)

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Some of the most iconic PopGAF posts have come from our power bottoms. Kyon's post about Frank Ocean is probably the greatest thing I've read on the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom