• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT5| We Are Bionic, So Damn Bionic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_

Can you capitalize ARTPOP
nensfjw.gif

I feel left out, but I'm horrible with these predictions so I'll just watch from the sidelines. :)

lol I think that we will find that EVERYONE sucks at these once the albums actually hit.

<3

Who else do we expect this year? Seeing as we may not see ANY of the pop girls albums till the second half of the year at this rate, I may just make it a 2013 competition.

I am thinking Gaga, Bey, JT, Brit, Katy, 1D*, Rihanna*, ?

let me see...

Katy Perry, 200k for Katy Perry

400k for 1D

and none for Rihanna

tumblr_lagh3cUoFi1qzjix8.gif

I think I am going to keep it to the 4 we have for now. Once someone releases (and their predictions are closed) I will add more.

Plus I am actually thinking Rih won't release this year.

Artemisia

Banned
Katy B: New Album Is '95 Percent' Done, Due This Summer

Katy B, the rising U.K. star and Billboard Tastemakers alumni, is almost ready to unleash her hotly anticipated sophomore album.

In a recent chat with Billboard, the London-based dancefloor siren revealed that the follow-up to 2011's "On A Mission" is "95 percent" done, with a release planned for this summer on Columbia Records. A single is coming soon, along with the official album title. There's two weeks of planned studio time left, and although she's nearing the finish line, the 23-year-old is still busy writing potential songs for the new album.

"Everything is great," says the singer (real name: Katy Brien). "I've basically got some great tracks and I think I'll just keep writing until the end. A lot of stuff is getting mixed and mastered at the moment, so you just never know when you can just write something special at the last minute."

Once again, she will be teaming with the London-based grime/dubstep/house producer Geeneus, who worked much of her 2011 debut "On a Mission." "There are quite a few [Geeneus] tracks on the album&#8230; He's definitely a massive part of it," Katy B notes. "He's kind of like my Timbaland to Missy Elliott."

Additionally, she's working with Fraser T Smith -- who produced and co-wrote Adele's "Set Fire to the Rain" -- and Diplo, who helped out on her fantastic 2012 EP "Danger." The singer says that she's especially hopeful that the new Diplo tune makes the final cut.

"I think actually that song Diplo did is my favorite lyrically," she says, "which is quite strange, because I think his beats are so unique and kind of danceable but this one is kind of slow and quite sullen. It's very melancholic."

YAAASSSS LORDT SHE IS COMING

NAWT SLOW DIPLO YAS SIS GIVE US CLIMAX REALNESS

ib1IHgcEx5klIp.gif

royalan

No way does Rihanna not release another album this year. Not with almost all of Unapologetic's potential singles getting exhausted on radio now and it's not even march.

Trigger

No way does Rihanna not release another album this year. Not with almost all of Unapologetic's potential singles getting exhausted on radio now and it's not even march.

Indeed. Radio can't get enough of the Queen. She'll probably have an album out in the fall.

DMeisterJ

Banned

Unapologetic RihRelease is likely. She'll be on a world tour from March to Dec., Unapologetic is continuing to do well in singles and albums, and there's no reason to rush the end of this era. The only singles getting radio play are the two official singles, the PIU which was sent to urban, and Loveeeeeee song which isn't even a single. Jump and Right Now are obvious future singles with Phresh sent to urban, and then the RihRelease.

I don't see Def Jam doing another TTT and releasing an album while she's touring and can't properly promote it.

Christopher

I'd like to throw my hat in for this one:

Beyoncé: 550,000
Britney: 375,000
Justin Timberlake: 440,000
ArtPop: (are we counting .99 cent album sales?)

I'd like to throw my hat in for this one:

Beyoncé: 550,000
Britney: 375,000
Justin Timberlake: 440,000
ArtPop: (are we counting .99 cent album sales?)

Added.

I will be going off HDD numbers.

I BELIEVE Billboard did a rule change after Gaga where they won't count albums below a certain $ amount during the first few weeks of release anymore. So I don't expect that we will see that again.

As pointed out her tour schedule for this year doesn't seem favorable to a new album.

I am sure she will release SOMETHING..... but that could be a GH's album or a rerelease.

3phemeral

waiT... this would be a nice album name.
I thought it was an obvious visual pun, so I was surprised that no one was using it. :)
Added!

Your predictions seem to be actually fairly on point.

I think I am overestimating sales in general.

I was lazy and just looked at their past opening-week sales and adjusted for reduced demand but it's difficult to know without hearing a single. Couldn't really make a good guess for ARTPOP or JT as they only have so many albums out.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Swift looking pretty hot in that shitty new song!

Anyone posted this? Saw it on ATRL.

Mariah Carey's new album set for May release

Be sure to pick up Billboard's March 9, 2013 issue for an exclusive interview with Mariah where she discusses her new album, tentatively scheduled to come out in May 2013.

The singer says her new album will have a 'lot more raw ballads than people might expect.'

"It's a lot to juggle, but I'm handling it," Mariah Carey says while driving to an evening studio session in Las Vegas for her new album. In town for the Vegas Week segment of "American Idol," the first-year judge was on her way to meet up with producers Jermaine Dupri and Bryan-Michael Cox after having put dem babies to bed. "It's about making sure I have tons of good music, because at the end of the day, that's the most important thing," says Carey, who had worked with the pair ("We have our own chemistry," she adds) until 6 a.m. that morning from the night before. She's also enlisted producers Big Jim Wright, Hit-Boy, The-Dream and Rodney Jerkins for tracks on the set.

Declining to reveal the album's title, she does allow that there are a "lot more raw ballads than people might expect." There are also uptempo and signature-type songs that represent her different facets as an artist. "Wherever we go with this project, I've tried to keep the soul and heart in it," she says, "with me obviously as the through-line." According to Dupri, "One particular song is definitely going to be a huge fan favorite, in my opinion."

Carey's last non-holiday studio album, 2009's "Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel," debuted and peaked at No. 3 on the Billboard 200 and sparked the hit "Obsessed." She's excited about collaborations with her No. 1 "Honey" cohort Q-Tip and DJ Cassidy this time around. The singer didn't specify if her collaboration with Q-Tip and DJ Cassidy would be for the new album.

Will have to add her to my predictions list....

Bladenic

I hate to be the odd one out but Heart Attack does nothing for me. Give Your Heart was better. Demi sure seems loving releasing songs with "heart" in the title. Weird fetish tbh.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Amanda Palmer: The Art of Asking

I know this is sorta different from what PopGaf focuses on, but I found Amanda Palmers speech very touching and made me think how some artist could use this sense of community like Amanda Palmer has done. Granted some of the things she's done to connect with her fans Some major Pop Artist could never truly do or dare to try, for safety reasons mostly likely but for aspiring upcoming artist i can see this happening. Seeing the struggles some artist go though by their record labels or just life in general, The bonds created between the fans and the artist could create a new dynamic of connection and appreciation. Giving free music from time to time, hanging out with the fans and doing random public events with the fans can give such a raw way of bonding. As I said not every artist will do this nor could most, But i think it could be great since some artist don't seem to show their true personalities to their fans. This can be an opportunity to make the artist truly connect to their fans and be who they are with their craft, while also showing a sense of being humble to their fans.

I know not everyone of you will feel the same that I do towards the video, and have a different perspective/opinion on the matter. But the idea of helping artist by asking for help simply seems like a beautiful and genuine act of bonding between the fans and the artist. This level of interaction couldn't have been done before until recent years. I'm curious about your thoughts, positive, negative or anything in between. I think this video and the idea that Amanda raises is a constructive argument and view point. It's something that I think should be discussed more often in regards to the music industry and us fans.

botty

Banned
Amanda Palmer: The Art of Asking

I know this is sorta different from what PopGaf focuses on, but I found Amanda Palmers speech very touching and made me think how some artist could use this sense of community like Amanda Palmer has done. Granted some of the things she's done to connect with her fans Some major Pop Artist could never truly do or dare to try, for safety reasons mostly likely but for aspiring upcoming artist i can see this happening. Seeing the struggles some artist go though by their record labels or just life in general, The bonds created between the fans and the artist could create a new dynamic of connection and appreciation. Giving free music from time to time, hanging out with the fans and doing random public events with the fans can give such a raw way of bonding. As I said not every artist will do this nor could most, But i think it could be great since some artist don't seem to show their true personalities to their fans. This can be an opportunity to make the artist truly connect to their fans and be who they are with their craft, while also showing a sense of being humble to their fans.

I know not everyone of you will feel the same that I do towards the video, and have a different perspective/opinion on the matter. But the idea of helping artist by asking for help simply seems like a beautiful and genuine act of bonding between the fans and the artist. This level of interaction couldn't have been done before until recent years. I'm curious about your thoughts, positive, negative or anything in between. I think this video and the idea that Amanda raises is a constructive argument and view point. It's something that I think should be discussed more often in regards to the music industry and us fans.

Sounds like someone we already know...

ibfuv4fUKpxksR.gif

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Sounds like someone we already know...

ibfuv4fUKpxksR.gif

Seems similar in some aspects I'll give her that but the purposes are different in the end IMO.

EDIT: Azealia Harlem Shake Remix becoming Popular on Puerto Rico. Yay at least the tolerable version of Harlem Shake its starting to be played.

effe

Banned
^DEATH and you thinking artpop will sell that much

fake edit:but if that "ratchet" rumour turns out to be true....it'll be a huge fucking hit.

Ok so lets make these predictions a little bit funner.

Rules/Procedures:
1. Make your predictions before the first single of the album is released (excluding JT or other surprise releases). I choose the cutoff dates and may be flexible depending on the circumstances at my discretion.
2. You may change your predictions by posting in popgaf or by PM. If banned you can use Plug/ATRL/Last.fm
3. I will include NO MORE than 8 albums total in the predictions contest. I choose which albums are included.
4. Your two worst predictions (or two albums that you fail to provide predictions for) will be dropped.
5. Winners will be determined by what percentage off of the actual sales the predictions are. (A prediction of 150k where the actual sales are 200k would be off by 25%)
6. We will be going off the official Billboard/HDD tallies. Billboard will get priority.
7. In the case of a tie on an individual round the win will go to whoever is closest on the next album release.
8. I reserve the right to adjust rules as needed.

Prizes:
1st Place: $20 Amazon/Itunes Gift Card
2nd Place: $10 Amazon/Itunes Gift Card
Winner of each round: $5 Amazon Gift Card

+ bragging rights of course.

Here is the link to the most current predictions!

Here is how the predictions stand right now:

bIaypcD.png

Hmm... I'll bite.

Beyonce 5: 415,000
Gaga ARTPOP: 1,150,000
Britney 8: 265,000
JT 20/20: 250,000

Gotcha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom