• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT5| We Are Bionic, So Damn Bionic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aguila

#ICONIC
deciding not to read their faves but instead dwell into their behavior

I like

It was interesting indeed.

She should next analyze your manipulative behavior.

ii1Aln9rXB0xf.gif

Nemesis_

I think given the events of today I need to update all of the categories for the awards.

Updates on how to change your nominations if you wisH will be posted ~soon~

effe

Banned
is that your tumblr? you [n é é d] to change the theme. it's serving up some 1998 hotel wallpaper realness rn.

royalan

Cease Fire, girls.

Anyway... How important is it for you guys that an album be cohesive, or as Beyonce put it, have a "concept?"

Just to let people understand what that means... It's an album where the majority of the songs have similar themes, sounds, or tell a story.

One of the best examples of this—that instantly pops into my head at least—is The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill

LaurynHillTheMiseducationofLaurynHillalbumcover.jpg

The album is very autobiographical, and has a distinct pop/soul/R&B sound that shared between all of the songs. I know that a lot of girls here stan for ha quietly
TRIGGER
, and will know exactly what I am talking about. I have to wonder if there is any correlation between having a lot of influence/writing credits on your album, and the album being cohesive. I don't want to make such a claim, considering there are some girls who "claim" to have a lot of influence on their albums, but the results have been a cluster of randomness...

4_album_-_Beyonce.jpg

This album is supposed to be the one where Beyonce had the mosT influence, control, and concept. Though, I find that hard to believe when each song has like twelve writers on it. Contrast this with the fact that the Lauryn Hill album I previously mentioned only has about 4 writers on the entire album, with Lauryn being the sole writer on nearly every track. This isn't to shade Beyonce or 4, though she put herself in the cross hairs, but she shouldn't come for people's lack of making concept albums after putting 4 out. 4 was clearly an attempt at getting some of that Adele market: Half the album is about Jay-Z, in the same way Adele's album was about some guy. Then the album has songs like Party, Run The World, and I Was Here. Figures that Satch, a beyonce stan, only uses the bonus songs on the Deluxe album (Schoolin' Life;Lay Up Under Me). But it isn't as if Beyonce doesn't know how to make a great concept album...

Beyoncé_-_B%27Day_%282006%29.jpg

B'day still remains Beyonce's magnum opus. Everything from the production to the band to the lyrics in this album were fueled with funk and soul. Beyonce's delivery on every song was sexy, and powerful. Bey's portrayal of herself as a woman was also less subservient compared to 4: Just listen to songs like Upgrade U, Freakem Dress, Irreplaceable, Green Light, or Ring The Alarm. Black Beyonce was serving some powerful woman teas back in the day.

As for other pop artist who do concept albums, I think the last interesting one I can recall is The Fame

Album_Cover-The_Fame.jpg

I always look at this album as some kind of thesis on what Fame is. It's a very smart, and self aware album... even if the little monsters are ashamed of it. Sure it has its flaws, but I think that has less to do with the concept of it, and more to do with the songs just being terrible.

Well, the reason I even began thinking about this stuff is due to me listening to Lotus today. I tried to find the concept, and synthesis between the songs, and aside from 3-4 songs, I think there is a story to be told from most of the tracks. But maybe that is just my imagination running rampant. Songs like Shut Up, Circles, Make The World Move just don't make sense on the album. I feel like they were added, not as filler, but as things she thought would be cute to include. Unfortunately, the songs detract from the concept and the integrity of the album... but that is just my opinion.

So what do you guys think about conceptual albums, or just the cohesiveness of an album? Is it important to you? Or is it only important if your fave's album/the album has songs you can bop to?

ilnZR5KSqARAd.gif

This is a damn good post, sis. *.*

For me, I think ultimately if the music is good it doesn't matter (especially in Pop); but I do think that focusing on a cohesive idea and doing it successfully adds something special to an album. I particularly love when artists are able to do this without being obvious.

Looking to my fave for examples, I think Stripped is a great album because it doesn't smack you over the head with its themes (despite the title obviously pointing the album being an exploration of Xtina), yet it still has a strong concept. Christina worked with different producers, explored many different genres, and the songs themselves weren't related to each other thematically; but, as a whole, the Stripped tracks, with all their various themes - rebelliousness and independence (Dirrty, Can't Hold Us Down), embracing sexuality (Get Mine, Get Yours), embracing sensuality (Love's Embrace, Loving Me For Me), reflection (I'm Ok, The Voice Within) and self-realization (Fighter, Keep Singing My Song) - came together perfectly to tell the story of young girl coming into her own and realizing her own power. When it comes to pop, Stripped really is one of the best expository albums of the last 20 years.

Nemesis_

I will stop peddling, for now.

But the form has been updated for our community awards.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/15mDxNjb08FlIuuADdQo-E_cXjaK-LRsB6zYBDrAUc-c/viewform

You should have no problems filling out most of the sections now, as most of the remembering has been done for you.

If you wish to change your votes, then please fill out your vote with gibberish (for choice questions, choose Other and then put gibberish in) except for the areas that you want to change. And be sure to use your same username for the user verification so that I can merge them in my master sheet.

This is the last time that the form will change, so I hope you enjoy the voting process.

Icicle

Bye icicle, you weren't joking.

Um, okay, if you say so. It reflects poorly on you either way.

You can try it, but you know the tragic reality is that you are all too serious. You are the one that's been up for three days and is spending times writing five-paragraph essays about the internet. But I'm the one taking it seriously? Bitch bye.

Of course you will reject everything I say, but I actually had to stay up for the past 3 days, and I just choose to spend a considerable amount of that time on here because I've all but retired from PopGAF months ago. You can write intelligently and in detail about anything without "taking it seriously" A good indicator of whether or not you're too involved is if you can stop and ask yourself what your mood is, if you can identify that it's been negatively affected by whatever you're involved in, then you are likely taking your involvement too seriously. Your dismissals of me with "bye" and calling me a "bitch", among other colorful language tell me all I need to know about that.

idiyRwt20Z6bi.gif

Clearly the fact that you've been up for so long is making you delusional (more so than you naturally are), and is hampering the tiny bit of judgment you usually exercise. The difference in tone between my first and second posts was because your post was ridiculously hilarious and I needed to get my kiis out.

Oh, is it like one of those situations where you say it was so funny, you forgot to laugh? Wait no, you were just holding them in for the right time! Well, your first post was at 5:04 my local time, and it's been almost 20 minutes since then, so I'm expecting these kiis are coming any second now...Oh, what's this? Rihanna's best looks? What about those kiis? You've been able to keep them to yourself this entire time?! Such restraint!...Oh, you made it, I was beginning to worry you weren't going to let your kiis out., Only took 28 minutes to get it out, nicely done!

DMJ said:
Um.

Rih and Ci can coexist in the music industry, but if push ever came to shove, Rih would be picked over Ci any day of the week. No hit that Ciara gets in the future will be bigger than a Rihanna song. She can (and has been) trying for a few years. Her relevance is over.

Body party is a usable song tho.

Loud Era, obvi:

xhbRl.gif

Unapologetic Era, definitely:

Kiii at this clock

Anyway, I'm not trying to waste my valuable time continuing this discourse since you are simply not worth it. You're all bark and no bite

Your actions belie your words, this discourse is still continuing as of now. Not sure what to make of the "all bark and no bite"comment. I wasn't trying to " bark or bite" you in the first place, I just used showed you how quick you were to react, and how you're emotionally affected on some level by the stuff that goes on here.

quite simply, I feel sorry for you. It seems this is all that you have in life. Stanning for basic bitches, and coming for anyone who comes for those you like.

DMeisterJ
Total Posts: 20,695 (11.77 posts per day)
Most Recent Post #50 03-05-2013, 11:57 PM

Icicle
Total Posts: 632 (0.25 posts per day)
Most Recent Post #50 10-31-2012, 12:09 AM

Poor thing. You're so angry. Might I suggest you take a nice long sleep and evaluate where you went wrong in life. I'd try starting at your conception. Clearly something went wrong there. Goodbye.
SO ANGRY! HULK SMASH! Does this mean...goodbye forever?

iwdtIePsKh2JD.gif

I will stop peddling, for now.

But the form has been updated for our community awards.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/15mDxNjb08FlIuuADdQo-E_cXjaK-LRsB6zYBDrAUc-c/viewform

You should have no problems filling out most of the sections now, as most of the remembering has been done for you.

If you wish to change your votes, then please fill out your vote with gibberish (for choice questions, choose Other and then put gibberish in) except for the areas that you want to change. And be sure to use your same username for the user verification so that I can merge them in my master sheet.

This is the last time that the form will change, so I hope you enjoy the voting process.

Re-voted.

The draggings section was the hardest lol. Half of them were from before my time so I just picked the ones that sounded best.

Nemesis_

Re-voted.

The draggings section was the hardest lol. Half of them were from before my time so I just picked the ones that sounded best lol.

Haha. You are welcome to re-vote if you come across them. I have been here since pre-OT1, so I remember all of them. I'll try to find links.

I'll always include your latest votes as your current one, so vote as often as you want. I don't mind.

Does the rest of the pop loving internet share PopGAF's vernacular, or is this place special?

It's a shared thing. Many related sites use similar language. One goo example is ATRL.

It's all a part of "stan culture".

Though popgaf has its own specific dialect to be sure.

Nemesis_

Given the right circumstances (ie. we get enough votes earlier than expected) I might pull these awards forwards.

Here are the current tallies for BEST NEWCOMER

t3OkqvT.png

I also have my own confession regarding my stanning that will be announced later today.

I hope you are all perched.

ilUReNXucmC2.gif

Nemesis_

Bitch you're in the first wave of nominations.

I strongly recommend you take another look at the ballot to update your votes if you wish. Even if you look at it, my job is done

I apologise for the messiness

Community awards are so fun. I remember entering Koodo, botty, royalan and DMeisterJ quite a bit
and myself, RIP ;_;

"Angriest member" was the easiest question tbh. I'm guessing a landslide on that one. lol

Nemesis_

SO I PROMISED A CONFESSION ABOUT MY STANNING.

iZEfAPghTtHVM.gif

Here it is.

I was in the car today and the radio was playing Right Now (Rihanna feat. David Guetta). For some reason Australia has picked it up (along with Stay and Diamonds).

I realised that I wasn't turning the music off.

And then I went onto Spotify and searched for Rihanna's other music.

And I realised that it really shits. Like, it's really fun and amazing music.

And she CONSISTENTLY puts it out and keeps the quality (at least in bop terms) really high.

AAAADLdgr5YAAAAAAVYljQ.jpg

WELCOME to the #NAVY, Nemesis_

ib0Q9ia6abjESe.gif

Was expecting something more interesting tbh

Though some songs on Unapologetic are getting a few more listens recently. I really need new music stat. :(

Beyonce is boring, Kelly is shit (besides Stronger and BHTHE)

Who else would I have announceD?

I thought you were gonna say Justin Timberlake or someone more embarrassing like Nicki Minaj or Justin Bieber, lol

I feel like everyone in here stans for Rihanna to some capacity outside Koo and myself. And even I use a handful of her songs here and there.

Nemesis_

I thought you were gonna say Justin Timberlake or someone more embarrassing like Nicki Minaj or Justin Bieber, lol

I feel like everyone in here stans for Rihanna to some capacity outside Koo and myself. And even I use a handful of her songs here and there.

I liked JT during FS/LS, though everyone knows how much I hate his new era - I wrote two semi-lengthy paragraphs about ha.

Nicki is cute but not usable. I can only use Justin B&aB.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Now that I am Wide Awake, I can read over the OT1 realness from the last pages
ahh.gif

I'm glad this PopGaf is still around somewhere deep down
i9050sdD4UGis.gif

I liked JT during FS/LS, though everyone knows how much I hate his new era - I wrote two semi-lengthy paragraphs about ha.

Nicki is cute but not usable. I can only use Justin B&aB.

How can you love FS/LS but hate this era? The music is so similar, lol

I feel like Justin Bieber is the only pop staple that I legitimately don't use. I own Nicki's albums and even bop to a few One Direction songs but JB is one I've never touched. The second verse in B&AB is the only segment of any of his songs that I could bop to but thazzit.

I think I missed those JT paragraphs though. What's so bad about this new era outside a lukewarm first single? Mirrors is great (albeit LONG)

#icant at the Unapologetic era clocking so many stans.

Koo is stanning for "Stay"/"Diamonds"
Nem is #NAVY

My fave is shitting

iITHRH4wHeYtK.gif

Diamonds and Stay are great songs. She's lucky to have been chosen to sing them.
Though both songs make me wonder what Gaga would have done with them

Nemesis_

Seriously, I don't think he is. I think he tried to come back with music because he heard that people wanted him back.

But he rushed it and put the wheels into motion too soon, put less than Rihanna effort into an alberm and is putting it out.

It just sounds like a mish mash of poor management and coordination, and as a result he's putting out what feels like a very, VERY half baked alberm.

It's probably some dumbfuck way to bring promo to MySpace since he vowed to make it relevant again after he purchased it.

His tired GQ aesthetic is done - I absolutely adored FS/LS and I am so pressedT that this is not a worthy follow up at all.

GoodBYE Justine.

i9fwdSC4tY8es.gif

iUiytNKRTevUg.gif

I think a lot of his appeal is *gulps* that he was "sexy" during his FS/LS era as well. People loved him - men wanted to be him (well, I don't know about gays >_>) and women wanted to be with him.

That clip with him and ScarJo was so hot and everyone seemed to love it, for example. My Love and Summer Love were both dirty grindy summer jams that really got people in the mood (>_>) during a drunken house party.

NONE of that effect would be here now if anyone played any of this overlong shit to a group of drunk people.

Now we have some old married man dancing in a suit about how he wants to treat you good and shit.

He's like the male Madonna. So out of touch and hawking the same wares that are long past their expiration date.

i3p6KD2mq1Jpk.gif

These were my initial posts, I'll go quickly skim through FS/LS and tell you which songs I loved (maybe it's nostalgia though, it was after all during my "peak" during upper school :eli:) but maybe after seeing the tracks I like it might tell you what I am missinG.

Nemesis_

Oh and

BCRUNLBCEAAxPt4.png:large

and the stage, which I don't think was posted

Priceless-BeyStage.jpg

I mean I don't like ha but how exclusive is the middle part *.*

DMeisterJ

Banned
I wonder if Justin is going to go the Bruises career and keep on flipping out on people, or the Britney career and serve us Blackout-era realness while going crazy.

I'm here for either, tbh.

I have the vid on Rihpeat, it's amazing.

Trigger

SO I PROMISED A CONFESSION ABOUT MY STANNING.

Here it is.

I was in the car today and the radio was playing Right Now (Rihanna feat. David Guetta). For some reason Australia has picked it up (along with Stay and Diamonds).

I realised that I wasn't turning the music off.

And then I went onto Spotify and searched for Rihanna's other music.

And I realised that it really shits. Like, it's really fun and amazing music.

And she CONSISTENTLY puts it out and keeps the quality (at least in bop terms) really high.

WELCOME to the #NAVY, Nemesis_

I'm so happy you've come to your senses.
1Oymt.gif

The rest of POP-GAF shall follow.
1Oymt.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom