• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Preacher |OT| The Beginning Is Nigh - Sundays 10/9c on AMC

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
My biggest gripe with the show was and is Tulip. The way they're portraying her as "too cool for school" just irks me. She feels like an artificial construct made to be "cool", and not at all like a real person. I hate characters written like that, and the show's Tulip has done nothing to redeem that kind of cliched writing. The Jesse/Tulip/Cassidy trio already had enough cool and crazy with Cassidy. Trying to make Tulip play catch-up is just going to push things over the edge in a bad way.
Couldn't agree more. I'm not sold on Tulip whatsoever right now. She's just a try-hard edgy/cool character who is just being kind of an annoying dick right now. Shame because the actress seems very talented and I was looking forward to see her embody Tulip.

image.php
:D

Having not read the source material, I'm still kind of iffy on the show. Showing stuff out of context may seem cool and mysterious to those in the know, but to me I feel like I'm watching BvS all over again.

Cassidy is damn near unintelligible, I think I'm going to have to use subtitles.

I'm not even sure what Tulip even wants Jesse for "the job".

Really hoping the 3rd episode starts tying a few things together.

Having not read the source material, I'm still kind of iffy on the show. Showing stuff out of context may seem cool and mysterious to those in the know, but to me I feel like I'm watching BvS all over again.

Cassidy is damn near unintelligible, I think I'm going to have to use subtitles.

I'm not even sure what Tulip even wants Jesse for "the job".

Really hoping the 3rd episode starts tying a few things together.

It's kind of strange that the show does things this way. The comics are very upfront about what's going on, giving the reader a solid understanding of what's going on from the very beginning. There's no mystery there regarding who the guy in the episode 2 intro is. The two guys with the chainsaw (who are very different in the comics) are no mystery either, being introduced and named almost immediately. The only thing they obviously hold back at that point is the central mystery of the story (which the show has barely even hinted at so far) and the pasts of the three central characters. The minor characters that show up (such as the sheriff and Arseface) are explained in sufficient detail for you to understand who they are and what their motivations are.

The show seems to enjoy hauling all of this out, and I'm not convinced it's a good idea. They're going to have to provide answers very soon, or viewers are going to just give up in frustration.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
It's kind of strange that the show does things this way. The comics are very upfront about what's going on, giving the reader a solid understanding of what's going on from the very beginning. There's no mystery there regarding who the guy in the episode 2 intro is. The two guys with the chainsaw (who are very different in the comics) are no mystery either, being introduced and named almost immediately. The only thing they obviously hold back at that point is the central mystery of the story (which the show has barely even hinted at so far) and the pasts of the three central characters. The minor characters that show up (such as the sheriff and Arseface) are explained in sufficient detail for you to understand who they are and what their motivations are.

The show seems to enjoy hauling all of this out, and I'm not convinced it's a good idea. They're going to have to provide answers very soon, or viewers are going to just give up in frustration.

I think budget was a big issue for the show so its one of the reasons we have this protracted stuff with the town when it was barely a blip in the original story except to get the actual plot moving. I'm curious how the show will transition into the comics event proper because as gory and violent as the show has been, its honestly nothing compared to some of the stuff that they will hopefully get to. The show has been rather light and more of an action movie that is lacking a lot of the depravity and outright mean spirited nature of the comics. We shall see though.

I think budget was a big issue for the show so its one of the reasons we have this protracted stuff with the town when it was barely a blip in the original story except to get the actual plot moving. I'm curious how the show will transition into the comics event proper because as gory and violent as the show has been, its honestly nothing compared to some of the stuff that they will hopefully get to. The show has been rather light and more of an action movie that is lacking a lot of the depravity and outright mean spirited nature of the comics. We shall see though.

I'm actually kind of worried that I'm going to enjoy the town stuff more than the actual comic content. I've read the first 9ish chapters and . . . it's good, but I think I like what the show is doing more, with all the side characters.

That said, the show's Tulip is way less interesting, even if she's charismatic as hell.

RC

Banned
Aside from Tulip being an all around annoyance whenever she's on screen, this adaptation isn't half bad. They really hit it out of the park with Cassidy though, he's the best part of the show.

Was also the best part of the comic but I digress.

HStallion

I'm actually kind of worried that I'm going to enjoy the town stuff more than the actual comic content. I've read the first 9ish chapters and . . . it's good, but I think I like what the show is doing more, with all the side characters.

That said, the show's Tulip is way less interesting, even if she's charismatic as hell.

I'm actually liking most of the show so far but its a stark contrast to what is coming in the comic. I know people have said they love the action and fight scenes but there are not many of those in the comics proper though when they do happen they are often insane. Thing is they rarely involve characters having elaborate fight scenes but rather one particular character laying waste to everything around them. I won't elaborate who or what but I'm curious to see how we transition into the the comicbook storyline.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Can we please get subtitles for Cassidy...

Its funny Arseface I understand and don't need sub's for, but Cassidy, yeesh, I have to rewind like 4 times

I still missed the comedic line between him and preacher @ the church when Cassidy sees Arseface for the first time

I DVR the show and for some reason CC doesn't work

HStallion

Ratings:

Episode 1: 2.4 million viewers and 0.9 A18-49
Episode 2: 2.1 million viewers and 0.8 A18-49

That seems like a decent amount of viewers for a brand new show going against other big hitters on Sunday night like HBO.

I did a re-read of Preacher recently. I remember not liking it very much on my first read. I think I know now why I didn't like it. Very, Very little had to do with the main premise and I remember not liking that at all. It's not really a story about the premise and it dragged horribly for me.

I appreciated it more now. Why, oh God WHY did I not like Starr the first time? He's the best part by a mile for me. I really hope that at some point in this show 'Gaze at the Face of WAR!!' happens.

HStallion

I did a re-read of Preacher recently. I remember not liking it very much on my first read. I think I know now why I didn't like it. Very, Very little had to do with the main premise and I remember not liking that at all. It's not really a story about the premise and it dragged horribly for me.

I appreciated it more now. Why, oh God WHY did I not like Starr the first time? He's the best part by a mile for me. I really hope that at some point in this show 'Gaze at the Face of WAR!!' happens.

Yeah the general idea of the story is less important than the journey Jesse and crew go on and how it effects them and the world around them.

I think I enjoyed this episode more than 1 but only because I have let go of it being a comic adaptation. I was so lost after the Tulip battle scene in episode one, the "cowboys," Quincannon being in the show already, and Cass without glasses. I am now accepting this as something really different that takes inspiration from the book. I am now more interested in seeing how this all works out. Jessie and Tulip's relationship is weird, vampire hunters are interesting, that cowboy musical equipment device was interesting. I like Custer's, Quincannon's, and Cassidy's casting. I am not sold on Tulip yet but it's the character not the actress I think. There is just no way they are going to do some of the blasphemous stuff (
murdering the inbred descendants of Jesus, going to hell and killing the devil, making a deal with god, offing him at the end, super fat and gross leader fo the grail

I will stick around and participate in the discussions ha

Yeah the general idea of the story is less important than the journey Jesse and crew go on and how it effects them and the world around them.

Yeah, I'm often not a journey over the destination kind of person. It depends. I'm not a fan of cases where the story is set up by a great high concept premise that isn't served. It works for Preacher but I remember losing my fucking mind with each issue where they wouldn't get back to the why and how of the set up. Teenage me thought the Saint of Killers was the coolest character ever. Adult me thinks Saint is a bit silly.

HStallion

Yeah, I'm often not a journey over the destination kind of person. It depends. I'm not a fan of cases where the story is set up by a great high concept premise that isn't served. It works for Preacher but I remember losing my fucking mind with each issue where they wouldn't get back to the why and how of the set up. Teenage me thought the Saint of Killers was the coolest character ever. Adult me thinks Saint is a bit silly.

It starts as a big huge story about setting things right but its a much more character driven drama than that. Its one of the reason all the focus on crazy fight scenes in the show seems a bit funny to me as its not one of those stories. Actual prolonged battles are
few and far between and some of the biggest happen nearly entirely off screen.
There are whole sections that focus on the characters and their fucked up lives and situation.

Shit man, this show is so good so far. My hopes were high based on the overall season 1 reviews but actually seeing it now, I'm enjoying the adaptation so much.

Really digging the show aside from Tulip. Cass is phenomenal. I'm gonna keep an open mind about the plot since I can't see them really following the comics.

Alpende

I really like the show. I have a slightly better idea of what's going on but don't get the whole picture just yet and that's fine. Can't wait to see how it all unravels.

Platy

About episode 2 : HOLY SAM RAIMI

Also ... anyone knows the name of the song that .... Cassidy listens on Jesse's truck ?

Bebpo

Banned
After episode 1 picked up the comics (had them in my backlog) and read the whole series before ep2. Now watching ep2, I like it a little more, having the background, but yeah the pacing is really slow. I feel like it's going to take 4-5 episodes for anything to happen in the show, which I can imagine could kill the ratings. I agree with the poster above that the comic really wasn't about "mysteries" after like halfway through volume 1, and making everything more mysterious and drawn out in the show probably isn't the best approach.

That being said, I like show Jesse more than comic Jesse. In the comic I didn't really feel like he was an anti-hero, and was more just all over the place bipolar. I think the show is making him a lot more likeable which will be helpful for the journey. Cassidy is spot on and show Tulip kind of sucks, but comic Tulip has like zero character development in the entire series and is basically just a plot device for the other characters, so I'm fine with making her more of her own person in the show.

Hoping the first season is just gonna be drawn out like this in the town and then season 2+ will be the a fun road trip adventure.

Fusebox

Banned
After episode 1 picked up the comics (had them in my backlog) and read the whole series before ep2. Now watching ep2, I like it a little more, having the background, but yeah the pacing is really slow. I feel like it's going to take 4-5 episodes for anything to happen in the show

Yeah, can't wait for something to happen. Something exciting like a fight on an airplane, or a bar room brawl or a home-made rocket launcher taking down a helicopter or the main character getting the word of god....

Are you serious?!

HStallion

Yeah, can't wait for something to happen. Something exciting like a fight on an airplane, or a bar room brawl or a home-made rocket launcher taking down a helicopter or the main character getting the word of god....

Are you serious?!

Haha compared to what actually comes up its not all that impressive actually, the original comic hits the ground running and rarely lets up on the gas as the insanity just escalates. Its not been considered a tough story to adapt for very good reasons.

Are you serious?!

Those kinds of things are kind of an aimless waste of time in Preacher (except the Word of God part). This is a story where important things happen all the time, and that's not referring to the multiple bar fights. There haven't really been a lot of things happening to drive the main plot forward so far.

Are you serious?!

Meh, most of that is just mindless violence. The show is dull as dishwater so far.

Fusebox

Banned
Haha compared to what actually comes up its not all that impressive actually, the original comic hits the ground running and rarely lets up on the gas as the insanity just escalates. Its not been considered a tough story to adapt for very good reasons.

I know, I've read the comic run in its entirety almost once a year since it finished but the TV show has already diverged so much from the comic that I don't think anyone can confidently say they know what is coming up. The idea that nothing has happened because nothing from the book has happened is a bit weird to me, first two eps have had me on the edge of my seat at times.

Those kinds of things are kind of an aimless waste of time in Preacher (except the Word of God part). This is a story where important things happen all the time, and that's not referring to the multiple bar fights. There haven't really been a lot of things happening to drive the main plot forward so far.

2 eps in and they've already introduced Jessie, Tulip, Cass, Arseface, Sherrif Root, even Odin Quincannon ffs. I don't have any probs with the pacing so far.

If Herr Starr isn't in this, I will disown it.

Dat Avatar.

He literally looks like a dick head because of the slit on top of his bald head. Haha, he's a dickhead.

I kinda miss the pace of the comics, it was one thing I really loved. Breakneck and crazy, like a bad LSD trip.

Huge fan of the comics and I'm loving the show, this episode was even better. The spirit is just right there, hope it'll keep delivering.

Helmholtz

I like the show (comic book reader here) so far but it is incredibly uneven.
I feel the same way. I don't know if I'd recommend this to people based on the first two episodes, but I'm going to watch it nonetheless because I liked the comic. I feel like the show is doing some things really well but faltering on a lot of other things.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
‘Preacher’ Co-Creator, Cast On AMC Letting Them Run With Tom Cruise Joke (And Anything Else)

The television series is somewhat muted in scope compared to the DC/Vertigo comic created by Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon on which the show is based, but it doesn’t veer away from the excess and insanity for which the comic is celebrated, and that’s not going to change, as AMC has been letting them go wild, according to Catlin. “I’m more than surprised, I’m shocked,” he said about the show’s relationship with AMC. “There’s been incredibly little interference from them. We were all apprehensive from the beginning, if they were going to make it. We discovered that they really wanted to do Garth’s comic book with all the blasphemy, the audacity, the violence, the perversity and just the craziness of it… they’ve been great.”

The show will be able to get into the dense mythology that takes a jaundiced, furiously satirical view of American culture. Yusef was particularly bullish about that prospect. “I feel like most things are made because there’s a space for it. It does feel like the world is a bit outside down at the moment, certainly this country seems to be at the epicenter in terms of what’s happening politically, environmentally, with race and gender,” he said. “What I love about Preacher is that at the heart of the graphic novel, I think, and the TV show, is that there might be something systemic that’s wrong, that transcends issues that are specific to regions, that affect all of us everywhere… This idea that something’s gotten loose is really attractive and worth of a discussion. The world has opened up in a way. Preacher is having a discussion.”

HStallion

Was watching the Tony's and almost forgot this was on. Enough musicals and Hamilton running away with things, lets switch it up. Seems the opening isn't a continuation of last weeks which is a bit disappointing.

Was watching the Tony's and almost forgot this was on. Enough musicals and Hamilton running away with things, lets switch it up. Seems the opening isn't a continuation of last weeks which is a bit disappointing.

I don't see how any comic reader could be disappointed with that. Legit goosebumps.

HStallion

Not a huge fan of the Tulip in this show so the scene kind of fell flat. Though the scene with the cop was actually pretty good and the first time I've realy liked her so far.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Getting really annoyed with how Tulip and Jesse are handled. Both characters are super annoying.

Was shocked at the intro though. So we
got Herr Starr
after all?

Bebpo

Banned
Ep3 was definitely the best one yet. Feels like the show is starting to get comfortable. Still need another episode or two, but it's getting there.

One thing about the flashback though:
I hope that's a red herring and Jesse didn't really murder a cop during a bank robbery. That's kind of ...a little too much out of his character. In the comic he was stealing cars from rich people; so a bad guy with good in him too. Murder? That's a bit different.

Was shocked at the intro though. So we
got Herr Starr
after all?

Yeah that part was great. Too bad it's just a tease, just like ep2's intro. While I like the idea of stuffing all the important characters/arcs into the show right away as fanservice so you get to see all the best characters without waiting years for future seasons that could get cancelled, at the same time there may be just too much in the show and showing 5 mins of arcs here and there may leave the viewers totally confused. Like by the time they go back to 1881 will people remember the start of ep2?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
caught up, and i like it so far. a few issues so far

-tulip is rough as all hell. and thats fine, but she really doesnt resemble her counterpart at all outside of being pissed off at jesse. hopefully they round her edges out a bit
-i like cassidy so far. mainly that fun going aspect of his nature. i feel like they can really do some interesting things with the character
jesse im kinda eh on. i want to like him, but he doesnt feel like jesse at all so far.
-i kinda figured they wouldnt keep him as he was, but im glad they changed up the sheriff from his comic portrayal. especially seeing how one note he was in the comic
-
i was pretty happy when i saw what i assumed was herr starr. getting him in and early is good, and i hope they got someone that can really sell the ego of starr. odin though.... if it wasnt for the arc that he was in being important to jesse, id rather they keep his ass the fuck out of the series. but im curious to see what they can do with him

Ep3 was definitely the best one yet. Feels like the show is starting to get comfortable. Still need another episode or two, but it's getting there.

One thing about the flashback though:
I hope that's a red herring and Jesse didn't really murder a cop during a bank robbery. That's kind of ...a little too much out of his character. In the comic he was stealing cars from rich people; so a bad guy with good in him too. Murder? That's a bit different.

yeah,
that part made me think it was just a set up. if amc jesse is anything like vertigo jesse, then killing is a nono in his book. to an extent anyway

Bebpo

Banned
caught up, and i like it so far. a few issues so far:
-
i was pretty happy when i saw what i assumed was herr starr. getting him in and early is good, and i hope they got someone that can really sell the ego of starr. odin though.... if it wasnt for the arc that he was in being important to jesse, id rather they keep his ass the fuck out of the series. but im curious to see what they can do with him

yeah I don't really care for him or his arc, but since show Jesse apparently has to protect the town in place of his dad, I guess Odin will be a first season arc where Jesse uses his powers to fight for good and saves the town. Hopefully that way they'll be done with him this season and if the show actually manages to not get cancelled season 2 can be early Herr Star going after Jesse stuff.

Top Bottom