• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Preacher |OT| The Beginning Is Nigh - Sundays 10/9c on AMC

Ruruja

I'm really liking this show. Episode 2 was real fun, especially the crazy scene in the church.

I've never read the comics though, so nothing to be upset about casting/direction wise.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm liking the show now, not completely sold on it but aside from Jesse and Tulip being off everything else is pretty solid. The only thing I wonder now is how they're going to take what they have so far and start the comics story proper and not so much characters or anything but the general tone of the show, while its had its shocking moments, is a bit more action movie and light hearted than the depraved mean spirited cross country trek of the comics. It gets pretty brutal and graphic like the
"Go Fuck Yourself!"
and things like jokes about a character being raped and some pretty messed forms of abuse.

It's a very good show. I like the clear "fallen world" feeling that comes through. The only thing I'm having trouble adjusting to is that it's clear they are dropping the road trip aspect and aren't getting out of that town for a while. Maybe not this whole season. And it feels a little less outrageous than the comic because although there's some extreme physical violence, as has been stated much of the violence in the comic was sexual, and there was also a large focus on sexual perversion. Those just aren't going to make the cut on basic cable and we've already seen them substitute gore for sexual violence in a major way.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Bruh, this might deliver did you see how Quincannon
started lusting after dat meat. They are so going to do the meat woman effigy scene. FUCK. I don't know what to be more hyped for Saint of All Killers and Annville going up like an atom bomb, or Meat fuckin'.
Haha, yeah, I noticed.
I am hoping it's foreshadowing for that infamous scene too...

"I have to say, out of all the fucked up things I've seen in my life, this one takes the cake" -- I'm paraphrasing from memory but yeah. Felt much like Jesse when I saw that. xD Man it has to make it. Creepiest thing EVER

Odin Quincannon looks exactly like his comic counterpart haha. Good casting.

Watched the pilot and really enjoyed it. Never read the comic, but I'l admit Jesse Custer was very different than what I was expecting from all I've heard from some who have read it. Is he much different in the show than the comic?
Yes, he's very different. Tulip even more so (and I don't mean physically, in either case).

Honestly I'm not very fond of either show-Jesse or show-Tulip right now. They're both kind of annoying... The actors are good, but their writing/personality is completely off and and not really improvements at all.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I fucking love this show! Big fan of the comic, and this is hitting all the right notes for me, even though it's wildly different in so many ways. That intro was on-point, and the church fight scene. HAHA! Love the gore.

Even better episode than the pilot. I love the fast pace, the light-hearted yet serious tone and the character interactions. Virtually every good character we've been introduced to so far has been well cast.

I love this show so much.

HStallion

I can't wait to see the finale in whichever season, with the "Not enough gun" line. It will be epic on screen.

Honestly I can see a lot of his scenes getting cut down in scope, some of them are pretty damn huge and epic. Though a lot of the series is fairly low key outside of those and some of the backstory parts so maybe they could save their budget for those couple of insane events.

Looks like we have a good group in this thread. I was fortunate enough to read the comics when they were first released, and didn't have to worry about spoilers and all that. Glad everyone here is sticking to it, although it has to be hard!it is for me while talking to my wife and friends about the show.

Im enjoying the show. I'm still skeptical, but with the beginning of the this episode, and Odin getting..... sentimental, I'm starting to come around more. I agree with everyone saying that Jesse and Tulip are different. They are. It's true. But, I think if I'm going to really enjoy the show, I'm going to have to leave the book behind and accept the fact that these are the characters we have, and wishing they were different will ruin the experience for me. I'm more concerned with how in the hell they're gonna do the whole story without protests more so than Tulip being slightly off.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Has there been any word on the ratings?

Episode 1 had a pretty good start behind the midseason finale of Fear the Walking Dead. The repeat of episode 1 last Sunday was solid for a repeat on a Holiday Weekend. Episode 2 ratings should be in tomorrow.

HStallion

I wonder who they will get to play Herr Starr. I can live with a slightly lack luster Jesse and Tulip but Herr Starr they have to get right. Seems like they're doing the Saint justice so far but they can't fuck up my favorite dick head.

This definitely continued to justify that TVMA-V rating...though exactly how they arrived at TVMA-S too was pretty well lost on me even if I can understand they aren't exactly running a comparable scale with GoT over on HBO...

Excellent episode though and continuing the crazy from the Pilot and then some.

scabro

havent read the comic but ruth negga is great

overall i still have no idea how to feel about this show other than i want to keep watching. the tone and pacing is so fucking strange. notbsure ive ever been 2 eps into a show and not really gotten a feel for it like this. i havent seen it in a long time, but maybe Carnivale was similar in that way.

the chemistry between cassidy and jesse is really good, gilgun is the best

HStallion

Ruth Negga lackluster? Are we watching the same show?

Well what exactly has she done so far that is supposed to blow us away? She has had a couple decent scenes but nothing I'd say is knocking it out of the park acting wise? She had a gruesome fight scene and that baptism part was probably the most chemistry she and Jesse have had so far. Otherwise she is just kind of plodding along like Jesse and its probably my biggest complaint with the show so far.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
This show is great so far.

Tulip is hit and miss, imo, but when she hits, it's so good. Smiling under the baptism water was so hilariously irreverent. Leads have great chemistry, show is hard to predict... it's been fun.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really not enjoying this as much as I was expecting to, it's doing enough to keep me watching but if it doesn't pick up I wouldn't bother with the next season.

Apparently my parents were channel surfing and caught the last scene of EP1, right when the guy sat down with his mother.

They were quite shocked.

Disgraced

I liked this episode more than the pilot, but I'm still not sure if it's actually good or not.

Everyone has a thick-ass accent. I don't mind it—in fact I like it, but I don't like pumping up the volume so much when the next moment the music blares. After replaying it like five times with my sound cranked to the max I'm still not sure what the Saint of Killers said in the opening.

Wha' d'ya say t' that sir? Yes 'r no? That this is paradise?

Erdainrd.

*rewinds*

That this is paradise?

Irdaint.

*rewinds*

It ain't. (I think?)

If I were to draw a comparison, as far as weird, artsy, ostensibly pretentious new shows go I don't know if I'm enjoying this more than I did Mr. Robot but I am more intrigued by this.

I dig this a lot. Never read the comics tho.

Want them to steal Jesse's wardrobe from the comics, the 20 year nostalgia cycle is in y'all, give Jesse the light blue jeans, and brown blazer fam. He'll be ahead of the curve. Already seeing lots of dudes trying to bring back the fugly ass windbreakers and shit, it's just a matter of time.

Jesse looks cool but he doesn't look like a dude who lives in in Bumfuck, Texas. Maybe he could be a preacher in Austin or something lol.

The second episode was the tits:

- Tulip continues to be endlessly charming and crazy
- Love Jesse and Cassidy's friendship
- The fight with the two cowboys was fucking awesome
- Jesse and the pedophile was a great scene
- Jackie Earle Haley was weird
- The cowboy scene was great. Very chilling and disconnected from the rest of the lunacy.
- Arseface continues to be interesting to watch. I like this doubt he has. And the "murderer" bit was interesting.

Moff

nice episode, not as spectacular as the first but that was to be expected. the fights continue to be awesome.
just realized that the preacher and tulip play the king and queen in the warcraft movie.

I was pretty down on this show after the first episode, but I've mellowed a bit on it. After hearing interviews with the creators, I have a better feel for what they are trying to accomplish, and I'm feeling more confident that they are actually going to hit all the important notes from the comics, only in a different way.

The opening to episode 2 was especially redeeming. Unlike almost everything else in the show so far, this was lifted pretty much straight from the comics, and it worked well even though the average viewer won't understand what the point of it was yet.

My biggest gripe with the show was and is Tulip. The way they're portraying her as "too cool for school" just irks me. She feels like an artificial construct made to be "cool", and not at all like a real person. I hate characters written like that, and the show's Tulip has done nothing to redeem that kind of cliched writing. The Jesse/Tulip/Cassidy trio already had enough cool and crazy with Cassidy. Trying to make Tulip play catch-up is just going to push things over the edge in a bad way.

I wonder who they will get to play Herr Starr. I can live with a slightly lack luster Jesse and Tulip but Herr Starr they have to get right. Seems like they're doing the Saint justice so far but they can't fuck up my favorite dick head.

Word.

Are the two weird guys with the chainsaw supposed to be from the Grail?

No. They are two characters from the comics, but they are very different here from how they were there. I suspect we won't even see hints of the Grail until late season 2, but who knows. Many things have been moved forward.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Second episode was good stuff. The IGN review mentioned it being the weakest, in their opinion, of the 4 episodes that were screened for critics. If that's true, I'm very excited about next week.

Cheers guys, for some reason I did not put that together. I guess I'm a little too eager for all of the comic elements to fall into place. I'm going to read them again to refresh my mind, it's been a few years.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I'm only superficially familiar with the comics (they've been on my backlog forever) but so far I love what I've seen. Cassidy owns it, Jesse is also quite enjoyable and Tulip makes me feel butterflies in my stomach. Excellent fights, too.

I was highly skeptical considering some of the comments I heard about the previews (that and my general dislike towards shows that stray way too much from the source material), but honestly, AMC may have earned some goodwill from me even after the utter mess that was FTWD's finale.

I'm only superficially familiar with the comics (they've been on my backlog forever) but so far I love what I've seen. Cassidy owns it, Jesse is also quite enjoyable and Tulip makes me feel butterflies in my stomach. Excellent fights, too.

I was highly skeptical considering some of the comments I heard about the previews (that and my general dislike towards shows that stray way too much from the source material), but honestly, AMC may have earned some goodwill from me even after the utter mess that was FTWD's finale.

Just had to bring up the FTWD finale...I had nearly forgotten about it...

No. They are two characters from the comics, but they are very different here from how they were there. I suspect we won't even see hints of the Grail until late season 2, but who knows. Many things have been moved forward.

Tulip's map says Grail Industries or something like that...

T.O.P

Banned
I'm hooked, Cassidy is fantastic

But i totally missed the meaning of the first few minutes from 1881...or is it supposed to not make sense yet? no spoilers pls

HStallion

I'm hooked, Cassidy is fantastic

But i totally missed the meaning of the first few minutes from 1881...or is it supposed to not make sense yet? no spoilers pls

If they tell that characters entire backstory it will take the entire season of intros to get it all out so it won't make sense till the end of this season or the beginning of the next (if we get one). He's very very important to the story lets just say that.

Zoe

I liked this episode more than the pilot, but I'm still not sure if it's actually good or not.

Everyone has a thick-ass accent. I don't mind it—in fact I like it, but I don't like pumping up the volume so much when the next moment the music blares. After replaying it like five times with my sound cranked to the max I'm still not sure what the Saint of Killers said in the opening.

Wha' d'ya say t' that sir? Yes 'r no? That this is paradise?

Erdainrd.

*rewinds*

That this is paradise?

Irdaint.

*rewinds*

It ain't. (I think?)

If I were to draw a comparison, as far as weird, artsy, ostensibly pretentious new shows go I don't know if I'm enjoying this more than I did Mr. Robot but I am more intrigued by this.

CC's are a godsend for shows like this.

Top Bottom