• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Preacher |OT| The Beginning Is Nigh - Sundays 10/9c on AMC

IrishNinja

im not expecting it to go at the pace that the comic did, but i hope more happens in this town than has happened. i mean there seems to be more foreshadowing future events and characters than interesting main plot points to me. and honesly, i dont know why they are even hinting at salvation this early.

i don't either, since i figured they'd just toss that arc out entirely...but Odin gives Jesse something bigger than Root in Angleville. there's literally nothing for him to take on here without dude i guess...hence why he exited so fast in the book

He's got a round head w/ wavy hair vs the square head and curly hair of Dillon's artwork. It'd be tough to pull off.

to be fair, the odds of Dominic having been born with one of the 6 hair/faces that Dillon draws seems like a longshot at best

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
i don't either, since i figured they'd just toss that arc out entirely...but Odin gives Jesse something bigger than Root in Angleville. there's literally nothing for him to take on here without dude i guess...hence why he exited so fast in the book

to be fair, the odds of Dominic having been born with one of the 6 hair/faces that Dillon draws seems like a longshot at best

6 faces is generous for dillon

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.

uwposJa.png

Parch

It's been all style, no substance.
But I'm not really surprised considering the comic. Not sure that's the right way to go. TV is going to require a bigger demand for a direction and goal. You can't keep making throw away episodes that accomplish nothing. There needs to be plot or they'll lose viewers.

Breads

Banned
A nothing episode tonight.

Worse yet is how they are implying to have changed Tulip's backstory. Ugh.

Gonna have to stop recommending it to people - it is not fun to watch... even if you do know the things they hint at but never tell you.

What a shame.

fin

A nothing episode tonight.

Worse yet is how they are implying to have changed Tulip's backstory. Ugh.

Gonna have to stop recommending it to people - it is not fun to watch... even if you do know the things they hint at but never tell you.

What a shame.

Yeah I really hope things start picking up soon, it's been a very slow show with story lines that I just don't care about.

Alright, I'm done I think.

They are just meandering and they only slightly started having some of the meanness and sexual depravity. And I do mean SLIGHTLY.

I will just have to keep to the comics.

Bebpo

Banned
It's...sort of good, but it's just taking forever to get where it's going. Even stuff like Jessie knowing what Cassidy is, is a subplot being streeeetched out for no reason. Everything feels stretched out.

Maybe it's a budget thing? That the budget is so low they can't do much in a season and have to stretch everything out. Idk, but it's definitely making the show a mixed bag. There's times when I laugh and think the show is spot on and want to recommend it to people, and then by the end of each episode I'm feeling more iffy on it and wouldn't recommend it.

I also have no idea what they're doing with the Odin Quincannon storyline. Like, he's far too nice in the TV show to do his character arc in the comic. Every storyline/backstory seems completely different, so who knows. I think the comic works best when it's mostly about 3 people sharing screen time together. Here it's way too spread out between all the characters and some characters don't even show up every ep, or get a 5 min scene and then disappear for 2 eps.

did you guys really expect anything else from AMC sure the show might be good but the filler/budget stuff is typical AMC at this point.

Still really enjoying this show but I've had to catch up late on each episode due to Game of Thrones.

Same. I don't disagree it could be a bit faster with the set up, but I think some of it's getting there, and I feel like there's something here if they keep going.

Cassidy chilling behind Jessie in his robe at the end of the opening scene when it cut to Jessie alone there was hilarious LOL.

Bebpo

Banned
did you guys really expect anything else from AMC sure the show might be good but the filler/budget stuff is typical AMC at this point.

Yeah, I couldn't make it past S2 of The Walking Dead, which is the only other AMC show I think I've seen. All their shows are super slow?

CHC

They are just meandering and they only slightly started having some of the meanness and sexual depravity. And I do mean SLIGHTLY.

Yeah I really hope things start picking up soon, it's been a very slow show with story lines that I just don't care about.

Damn that sucks.

Too many shows are too fucking slow now, everyone wants to be the next "slow burn," introspective, deep take on its own source material.

I wish more shows would just go back to the "thing a week" style where each episode at least has its own little story that it closes by the time the credits roll. It seems like a better format than trying to have some slow-ass arc that unfolds over 4 seasons and then comes up against all kinds of logistical issues later because it moved too slowly early on.

Parallax

its amazing that although jesse and tulip are deviating from their comic counterpart, they are rushing cassidy towards his comics variant.
i guess cassidy being a massive fuckboy is the only thing that looks to be closely adapted

Damn that sucks.

Too many shows are too fucking slow now, everyone wants to be the next "slow burn," introspective, deep take on its own source material.

I wish more shows would just go back to the "thing a week" style where each episode at least has its own little story that it closes by the time the credits roll. It seems like a better format than trying to have some slow-ass arc that unfolds over 4 seasons and then comes up against all kinds of logistical issues later because it moved too slowly early on.

Dude I was hoping this would be a high octane acid trip that just also happens to be a scathing indictment of religion, sexual depravity, drugs, Racism, and violence.

The thing is, the premise can totally be done, the entire thing could totally be fucking done and they would have world class television. A show that would entertain and galvanize people.

The comic book was highly galvanizing I remember getting in trouble just reading it at school or libraries.

Speaking of "Thing a Week" The short lived Constantine show was fucking brilliant, it was a goddang shame what happened to that brilliant adaptation.

Bebpo

Banned
its amazing that although jesse and tulip are deviating from their comic counterpart, they are rushing cassidy towards his comics variant.
i guess cassidy being a massive fuckboy is the only thing that looks to be closely adapted

I actually didn't like that part.
Cassidy is such a great likeable character until you find out that he's drug-addicted dick. I want seasons of great Cassidy before a season of unlikeable Cassidy.

Geist-

Gotta agree with the consensus, not the best episode. But I still think it's pretty good regardless and at least
we got some hints from Cassidy that the show will eventually leave the town and start the road trip.

Not

Banned
For all the positive changes, this show is proving to me that Preacher works best on the road. Hopefully this "prologue season" makes the eventual adaptation of comics events more meaningful and rewarding

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
That was a whole lot of nothing. If you take out Jesse's flashback scenes, it almost goes nowhere the entire episode. And it wasn't even that it was a bad episode, just a completely pointless one.

Moff

yeah after a spectacular action filled opener this show has become slow, I still like it a lot, though, as someone who does not know the comics

This is probably one of those shows that will get better by each season. I'll still watch. I hope Preacher gets a season two and it picks up the pace more

Corpsepyre

Banned
Not sure what you guys are on about. This is good to great stuff. Sure, the first two episodes were on-point and way ahead of the last two, but I'm not expecting every single episode to be full-on blazing. Lots of good developments in the last episode though, and Jackie Earle Haley, the two angels and Cassidy knock it out of the park everytime.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I think it only feels slow because most book readers are extremely aware of where this story goes after Jesse decides to leave the town.

My girlfriend hasn't read the books, but really enjoys the show a whole lot. I've already given her Vol.1 to read and she'll get to it when she does, but watching a non-book reader watch this show it seems they enjoy it all the same.

Man, this thread is chock full of spoilers. For being the thread about the show a lot of posters keep talking about things that happen in the comics. How about spoiler tagging all of that? I'm going to steer clear of this thread from here on out, which sucks, because I want to talk about this show I'm watching with other GAFfers.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Man, this thread is chock full of spoilers. For being the thread about the show a lot of posters keep talking about things that happen in the comics. How about spoiler tagging all of that? I'm going to steer clear of this thread from here on out, which sucks, because I want to talk about this show I'm watching with other GAFfers.

The show so far has almost nothing to do with the comics other then some superficial details. I doubt anything has been spoiled.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Even outside of the comics the show is incredibly poorly paced and meandering. Its getting a bit frustrating as it feels like things are happening but the plot never really advances.

I haven't read the comics so I don't really know what the hell is going on in this show but for some reason I'm loving it. Nothing really makes sense but it just has a unique feel to it.

HStallion

I'll just bring up Odin Quincannon as example of what I mean in terms of things "happening" but no real advancement of the plot or even character building. He just shows up in scenes doing disturbing things, be barely talks, and I guess we're supposed to let the atmosphere and visual imagery tell the story but I think we get it now. The dude is strange looking, has some very weird/gross ideas of a good time, and is in general unsettling. That's about it though, it feels like they're just repeating scenes with him to reiterate what a creepy creep he is. I mean get on with it already.

The show so far has almost nothing to do with the comics other then some superficial details. I doubt anything has been spoiled.

That's not your call to make. It's better to err on the side of caution and spoiler tag spoilers, even if you somehow believe they won't be relevant in the show (which you can't possibly know in advance).

I've read the comics many, many times over the years, but I've also noticed how incredibly sloppy people have been with spoilers in this thread. It's like they don't care that not everyone who ventures in here have read the thing already. Show some tact, people! We all want newcomers to enjoy Preacher too, so let's not spoil the experience for them.

I think it only feels slow because most book readers are extremely aware of where this story goes after Jesse decides to leave the town.

My girlfriend hasn't read the books, but really enjoys the show a whole lot. I've already given her Vol.1 to read and she'll get to it when she does, but watching a non-book reader watch this show it seems they enjoy it all the same.

I've never read the books and I feel like the plot hasn't gone anywhere since the first episode. I asked my friends if they were watching Preacher and they said that they had DVRed it but hadn't actually watched any episodes yet but were planning to later. They asked me what it was about and there really wasn't anything to tell them. There isn't a plot to explain yet.

Ricker

After 4 episodes I am still not exactly sure whats going on in this lol...I feel its badly edited or paced or something,not sure but man,it's all over the place...(never read the comics so maybe that doesnt help).

Parallax

That's not your call to make. It's better to err on the side of caution and spoiler tag spoilers, even if you somehow believe they won't be relevant in the show (which you can't possibly know in advance).

I've read the comics many, many times over the years, but I've also noticed how incredibly sloppy people have been with spoilers in this thread. It's like they don't care that not everyone who ventures in here have read the thing already. Show some tact, people! We all want newcomers to enjoy Preacher too, so let's not spoil the experience for them.

Which spoilers have been dropped in here?

Another good episode. I'm happy to see Tulip and Cassidy finally meeting. Liking what's going on. Just a flat out entertaining watch. Got a kick out of "but that's now what this is about" from cassidy lol.

Yeah, I couldn't make it past S2 of The Walking Dead, which is the only other AMC show I think I've seen. All their shows are super slow?

Not trying to go off topic but Walking Dead gets a lot better but still has episodes at a time where it's completely slow and filler even AMC's break out hit Breaking Bad had this too.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I know nothing about the comics or books and so far i think this has been great. So bizarre and interesting. Damn shame people just cant look past the source material.

rtcn63

I like the show, but it's got a "day in the life" feel to it. I could forget half the details of the previous episode and it wouldn't change anything.

And Cassidy should've considered exposing his skin to sunlight if he genuinely wanted to prove to the preacher he was a vampire.

KingKong

Looks like they really found their footing. You can see how the plot points are coming together and all those random scenes that were really jarring before are working better. I really like how they make sure to direct dialogue in interesting ways and not just two people talking at each other

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Well, I think I'm just about done. Jesse is absolutely insufferable and completely unlikable (I take back what I said about Tulip, Jesse is way worse, and NOTHING, nothing at all like in the comic), and the plot is going fucking nowhere. I couldn't care less about whatever the fuck is going on with Odin Quincannon, Cassidy is the only entertaining part of the show (I guess the "angels" are kind of amusing too) but that's not nearly enough. The pacing is so glacial, you don't even need the
Saint of Killer to freeze hell over

Oh yeah and now Tulip's mom was a whore now? Whatever the fuck. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Really torn on whether or not I'll continue watching. I'm really just hoping the pacing picks up but so far it's been disappointing even with my expectations being pretty low. Maybe I'll just wait until the season's done and binge watch if people say it gets better or something.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Ratings:

Episode 1: 2.4 million viewers and 0.9 A18-49
Episode 2: 2.1 million viewers and 0.8 A18-49
Episode 3: 1.8 million viewers and 0.7 A18-49
Episode 4: 1.1 million viewers and 0.4 A18-49

Now that is quite the drop. Hopefully when the show picks up the ratings will too.

HStallion

Ratings:

Episode 1: 2.4 million viewers and 0.9 A18-49
Episode 2: 2.1 million viewers and 0.8 A18-49
Episode 3: 1.8 million viewers and 0.7 A18-49
Episode 4: 1.1 million viewers and 0.4 A18-49

Now that is quite the drop. Hopefully when the show picks up the ratings will too.

The glacial pace and the fact anyone who hasn't read the comics most likely still has no clue what's going on doesn't make for great TV.

I'm just hoping it makes it to Season 2 so we can see the real interesting stuff :(

Top Bottom