• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Preacher |OT| The Beginning Is Nigh - Sundays 10/9c on AMC

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm surprised we are seeing you know who so soon and his backstory no less. Interesting take on things. I actually liked the intro though I'm not a fan of 1883 blazed across the entire screen and seems counter to the somber and grim tone of the rest of intro.

Edit: Music was on point as well.

Okay I'll say this, the first two episodes are a slow burn, but still enjoyable. I guess Preacher has some kind of power
that when he says something the person literally does it
.... Am I right Comic Book Fans? Because I wasn't so sure in the Pilot

HStallion

Okay I'll say this, the first two episodes are a slow burn, but still enjoyable. I guess Preacher has some kind of power
that when he says something the person literally does it
.... Am I right Comic Book Fans? Because I wasn't so sure in the Pilot

Basically but I won't elaborate

Pickman

Spoiler then. I'm warning you.

Literally the word of god. As in literally literally. If he speaks a command in that voice you will obey.

Also spoilery regarding rules
Doesn't work on people who don't speak english, or people who can't hear him. i.e. noise cancelling headphones or plugging your ears and shouting LALALALALALA will keep you impervious.

HStallion

Didn't expect to see Rorshach in this. Anyone catch who was playing the... uhh Cowboy?

Breads

Banned
Also spoilery regarding rules
Doesn't work on people who don't speak english, or people who can't hear him. i.e. noise cancelling headphones or plugging your ears and shouting LALALALALALA will keep you impervious.

Well, if you want to get specific (seriously do not read this those of you who have not read the comic)
it seems like people obey to the their specific understanding of the command. Hoover could have just taken each grain of sand while counting to three million and put it in a container or throw it away or do literally anything but continue to keep putting it into a pile that would over time get ruined over and over again causing him to start over. Also the word has been shown to be ineffective if Jesse is interrupted while speaking.

Oh, and god did give immunity to the word once just to prove that he could do it... right before taking the immunity away (because god is a loving god).

Pickman

I'm betting they just give bits and pieces of "The Cowboy" before revealing his purpose in the story in the finale.

That's definitely the feel I'm getting from it. I think
we're essentially getting the Saint of Killers backstory 4-shot as a snippet in the coming episodes until these bumbling angels resort to waking him up to deal with Jesse.

Breads

Banned
Caught tonight's episode on the repeat. When the going is good it's really good. When it isn't it's so god damn slow. The first scene, out of context, had absolutely no weight to it and up until Cassidy (who is perfect) meets up with Jesse (growing on me) at the church I really wasn't into it. From then on it was great.

Having mixed feelings about the adaptation so far but so far it's leaning towards the worth watching side of things. I just wish it did a few things better... I don't see how the casual onlooker could stay engaged if the slow scenes keep going the way they are.

Okay, I am so fucking onboard now.

This show really feels like the comic book, and they aren't even detouring much if at all.

I mean damn.

Kinda butthurt they didn't dive more into the Saint of All Killers, I think its interesting that the first time we are introduced to this character in this show, is actually the beginning of the 4 issue miniseries about him that ran alongside the main comic. One of my favorite stories I've ever read, we're in for a treat. Although I REALLY wanted to see him in the modern day.

Man, I called the two guys being(COMIC BOOK AND EPISODE SPOILERS AHEAD BIG TIME)
The angels Fiore and Deblanc, looks like they are changing the story a bit. Basically, these two idiots were guarding Genesis, a half demon, half angel spawn that just also happens to be named after the Book and has the literal power of the word of God. Meaning, Jesse can command people as long as they don't have headphones and they can hear him, alternatively his powers don't work if he is completely distracted or getting his ass handed to him.

So what happens is that Fiore and Deblanc get lax on the job, Genesis escapes and they are tasked with tracking it down, which they fail, which ends up getting them cast down to Earth to live as mortals. (A whole slew of debauchery with those two ensues for a few panels lol), but not before they wake the Saint of All Killers aka The Cowboy.

Now in the episode, they try some weird machine thing to try to trap Genesis, failing that obviously the whole chainsaw and Cassidy shenanigans ensue, Cassidy kills them. Now I imagine, they probably come back or they go to heaven, God gets mad and tells them to let loose the Saint of All Killers or they come back, realized they fucked up, and set loose heaven's hitman.

So yeah I was kinda down on it, because I was worried they would pull a Herschel's farm or worse, and lose that awesome breakneck pacing of the comic book. Some of the additions to TWD are actually an improvement over what ends up happening in the comic book in a lot of places. Here, nothing feels out of place and it just has the right look and feel and sound to it.

I think I have a good idea of where it will go, and if I'm right I think I'll be pretty happy by the end of season 1.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Pacing sucks. Some good scenes and some really fucking boring ones. :\

At least the
Saint of Killers
did show up. Really happy about that, and I will forgive the show if
he ends up fucking shit up
including [MAJOR COMIC SPOILERS YOU WERE WARNED]
freezing Hell over and, of course, killing God.
-)

Dalek

I knew my friend was playing a role on this show but I didn't know who he was playing.

he played the pedophile.

I knew my friend was playing a role on this show but I didn't know who he was playing.

he played the pedophile.

Dude no way? That is so fucking cool.

I'd love to play a bit part.

Also I disagree I love the pacing of the show so far, and I loved all the slow dramatic scenes.

Pacing sucks. Some good scenes and some really fucking boring ones. :\

At least the
Saint of Killers
did show up. Really happy about that, and I will forgive the show if
he ends up fucking shit up
including [MAJOR COMIC SPOILERS YOU WERE WARNED]
freezing Hell over and, of course, killing God.
-)

Bruh, this might deliver did you see how Quincannon
started lusting after dat meat. They are so going to do the meat woman effigy scene. FUCK. I don't know what to be more hyped for Saint of All Killers and Annville going up like an atom bomb, or Meat fuckin'.

Dalek

Dude no way? That is so fucking cool.

I'd love to play a bit part.

Also I disagree I love the pacing of the show so far, and I loved all the slow dramatic scenes.

Bruh, this might deliver did you see how Quincannon
started lusting after dat meat. They are so going to do the meat woman effigy scene. FUCK. I don't know what to be more hyped for Saint of All Killers and Annville going up like an atom bomb, or Meat fuckin'.

Hes my wife's childhood friend. He's been in a ton of shows and commercials. My wife and I will be watching TV and he'll just pop up out of nowhere.

Hes my wife's childhood friend. He's been in a ton of shows and commercials. My wife and I will be watching TV and he'll just pop up out of nowhere.

Dude, tell him he did an awesome job playing a fucked up character. Especially at the end.

He also played a very pivotal role on the series finale of The Wire.
he was the homeless serial killer with the business cards

Oh really?

Never watched The Wire.

Well, whatever man he's fucking awesome. Between him and Dom, I had chills man CHILLS.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I'm betting they just give bits and pieces of "The Cowboy" before revealing his purpose in the story in the finale.

Comic spoilers

Wait so is
Saint of Killers
in the show? Thought it was rumoured he was not, which would be idiotic but still.

Comic spoilers

Wait so is
Saint of Killers
in the show? Thought it was rumoured he was not, which would be idiotic but still.

Bruh
he's the cowboy in the beginning of the new episode, the part where it says 1886. It looks like they are gonna sprinkle the season with bits of his backstory from his 4 issue minirun.

-Deimos

I love how Eugene gets subtitles even though I can clearly hear what he says but trying to understand Cassidy is nearly impossible xD

Watched the pilot and really enjoyed it. Never read the comic, but I'l admit Jesse Custer was very different than what I was expecting from all I've heard from some who have read it. Is he much different in the show than the comic?

So I just finished the comic series after binge reading them all in a week. Wow I was not expecting the emotional depth of character drama and arcs. The writing of the 3 main characters and their relations with one another are quite great.

Really looking forward to watching the series unfold on television.

I kind of love how everyone has gotten the year wrong even though it was literally the biggest possible thing on screen lmfao you can't win for losing

Pilgrimzero

Watched the pilot and really enjoyed it. Never read the comic, but I'l admit Jesse Custer was very different than what I was expecting from all I've heard from some who have read it. Is he much different in the show than the comic?

This season is kind of a prequel to the comics. Jesse has clearly lost his faith, shit goes down, he's mad at God and he and his new pal and end ex girlfriend head out on the road.

That's like first couple of issues.

I'm actually surprised at how different Jesse and Tulips relationship is compared to the comics.

Of course of all 3 main characters she seems to me to be the most different.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

So far everything is very different, in particular the characterizations. Cassidy is pretty spot on but both Jesse and especially Tulip are way *way* different then their comic version.

KonradLaw

Love the chemistry between Cassidy and Jesse. And that chainsaw crawling through the floor on it's own was hilarious :D

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Bruh
he's the cowboy in the beginning of the new episode, the part where it says 1886. It looks like they are gonna sprinkle the season with bits of his backstory from his 4 issue minirun.

im not watching the show yet im just getting my information from you guys

Top Bottom