• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Preacher |OT| The Beginning Is Nigh - Sundays 10/9c on AMC

Zoe

There's no need to spoiler events that have already occurred on TV. With the large amount of comic book spoilers in this thread, it makes it difficult to know what's actually safe to read.

Is it just me that has a crush on that Emily Woodrow?

EDIT: Actress is a fellow brit too!? x100
latest

She was also in True Blood

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I think the show is pretty alright thus far. Its main accomplishment is that genuinely feels unlike anything else on TV, which is not an easy feat in this landscape.

Also, the opening credits song is great.

IronRinn

Just caught up on three of the four episodes I missed. Show would have been better on Netflix, all in one shot. Still all over the place but at least you don't have to be confused for a whole week in between episodes.

KonradLaw

Such a great episode. The opening fight was a blast, but most of the remaining scenes were also buzzing with energy, from the two women's figting, through bromance laundry scene, that beautiful fireworks scene and the ending talk.also. Poor Arseface.

hiryu

Last nights episode was definitely the best of the season. I've only ever read a little bit of the comic but I'm loving the show so far. It's weird and funny and gross.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Good episode. Action & Answers! It really didn't waste any time.

Comic Spoilers:
I wonder if instead of the town blowing up, Jesse is going to send a message en masse like "Do unto others..." which would obviously snowball into the town ripping itself apart.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Good episode. Action & Answers! It really didn't waste any time.

Comic Spoilers:
I wonder if instead of the town blowing up, Jesse is going to send a message en masse like "Do unto others..." which would obviously snowball into the town ripping itself apart.
I like this idea. I could see this happening.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I guess I'm the only one who didn't like this episode. The beginning with the angels was entertaining, but stupid as fuck because why couldn't Jesse just use his power to immobilize the hostile angel? And Tulip's motivations continue to elude me, and the ending part with Arseface was....

I just can't stand show-Jesse. He's absolutely insufferable, uncool, and the complete antithesis of his comic version. And him using his power to doom Arseface to hell (WTF) is so out of character, it doesn't make sense at all.

I agree with the poster who said the characters behave too incoherently. Nothing they do make any kind of sense.

I guess I'm the only one who didn't like this episode. The beginning with the angels was entertaining, but stupid as fuck because why couldn't Jesse just use his power to immobilize the hostile angel? And Tulip's motivations continue to elude me, and the ending part with Arseface was....

I just can't stand show-Jesse. He's absolutely insufferable, uncool, and the complete antithesis of his comic version. And him using his power to doom Arseface to hell (WTF) is so out of character, it doesn't make sense at all.

I agree with the poster who said the characters behave too incoherently. Nothing they do make any kind of sense.
I think Jesse didn't use his power because he couldn't reveal that he has the power to begin with. Which is what the angels warned of. Could cause a massive shit storm. You'd be banking it on that one woman being immobilized forever because if she sees the power and dies then they know or if she gets away then they know.

I didn't like this episode much either. I think the beginning fight was a little too long. It was fun for a bit, but then I wanted them to move on. I think the characters are likable, but their motives for doing stuff is strange, to say the least. Maybe it'll be elaborated upon a little later, but for now it's weird.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I just can't stand show-Jesse. He's absolutely insufferable, uncool, and the complete antithesis of his comic version.

This is one of my biggest issues with the show. Though I think him using the Word of God in anger is something he would've/has done in the comic, the lead up to that was most definitely out-of-character for Comic:Custer.

Show is hit or miss but Joe Gilgun's Cassidy is flawless tbh. How the actor has not gotten a bunch of supporting offers in hollywood yet is baffling.

Alpende

Great episode. It's clear that they were building to something but it was getting hard to be patient while they kept showing scene after baffling scene with little continuity with the rest of the episode.

The Arseface plot was incredibly well-executed, especially giving him the setup of
experiencing people being nice to him of their own accord, complete with one of the kids in the group clearly uncomfortable at the sight of him before they go off to hang out and have a good time. My heart sank when Jesse sent him to hell.

I thought those kids were gonna screw him over. Felt bad for him when Jesse went crazy too.

Really liked this week's episode. Thankfully, it was missing any kind of out of context scenes. The hotel fight gag was hilarious, especially Cassidy's intro.

Felt bad for the kid at the end. I wonder if Jesse can get him back? And how exactly did that work, if him telling Cassidy to fly didn't work?

Jesse hasn't been all that fleshed out yet, but they definitely dialed up the love triangle (er, square) this episode with him, his assistant, Tulip, and Cassidy. So I don't think I'm crazy for picking up on his sorta flirting with his assistant earlier this season. Still hard to tell what Tulip wants, this is the first episode where she or Jesse openly expressed longing for one another.

Jesse turning into a mini-Purple Man was definitely a dark twist. I'm kinda worried he might say something he can't take back to his parishioners, with the Quincannon thing from last week just being a preview of the chaos. Real hard to view him as a "hero" in this story, more like just a protagonist leaning towards villain given the amount of collateral damage already caused. I thought Cassidy appealing to authority ("Don't you have to? They're angels!") was pretty funny and quite ironic given what he is. When the vampire thinks you're being pigheaded and sacrilegious you know you fucked up.

KarmaCow

As someone who hasn't read the comic, the show is very annoying to watch. It's not a slow burn it feels like a jumble of story lines that the show thinks I already care or even know about. Instead of intriguing it comes off like being on the outside of an injoke.

Dalek

As someone who hasn't read the comic, the show is very annoying to watch. It's not a slow burn it feels like a jumble of story lines that the show thinks I already care or even know about. Instead of intriguing it comes off like being on the outside of an injoke.

I completely get why someone would feel this way-this is why I told my wife to just drop the show. I'll recommend she get back into it if I think it's up her alley, but she hate shows that deliberately obscure things.

Jesse hasn't been all that fleshed out yet, but they definitely dialed up the love triangle (er, square) this episode with him, his assistant, Tulip, and Cassidy. So I don't think I'm crazy for picking up on his sorta flirting with his assistant earlier this season.

It always looked one-sided to me. I think she really wants him, but he doesn't even think of her in that way. I don't think that Jesse has been flirting with her so much as she wants him to flirt with her and gets really anxious around him. Like the time he leaned in and picked a piece of lent off of her shirt. He wasn't intending to come off as flirtatious, but she had a look on her face like she wanted him to make a move.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

It doesn't make much more sense to folks who've read the comic either.

It doesn't make much more sense to folks who've read the comic either.

This is pretty much exactly what I was going to post in reply to that comment. I can't believe how badly they've screwed this show up.

It's been six episodes and it feels like it has had enough actual plot for maybe one and a half.

T.O.P

Banned
Fantastic episode again, DeBlanc & Fiore are fuckin great, the entire hotel scene was really fun

Also, Dominic Cooper in briefs nghhh

Damn

I've had my PVR set to record every episode, as I haven't had a chance to watch any of them. For some reason, it skipped the episode from the 12th.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Guys. Guys. This is Zach Snyder's Preacher.

HAH its got its issues but its not that bad. Tulip isn't wearing a skimpy school girl outfit in every scene and there isn't a reliance on slow mo to sell the drama of a scene.

Bossun

Never read the comics but I love this show. It's really unique and far from every thing else on TV.

I can understand people feeling it's slow or all over the place, but the settings, the tones and the characters are really amazing. Except Tulip, she's annoying.

Not

Banned

mmhmm

The more elements added from the comic (like Genesis and the existence and congress of angels and demons), the more they can hold my attention, but I really am not enjoying this like I thought I would.

I think it's fairly obvious between cassidy and tulip especially that they're going a far different way with the characters. This one seems like he's so intent on becoming a preacher and "fixing" people's problems and now with Genesis it's emboldened his mission and turned it into a far bigger problem.

Arseface calls him out on it and Cassidy gets frustrated that his divine plan is not working like he thought it would and a few poor choice of words later...

Edit: lol I meant jesse. MvP of the show is too powerful. Replacing other characters names now.

Genesis is half angel and half demon, so I imagine there is going to be temptation for both good and evil within Jesse. Perhaps the power itself manifests like that, with it appearing to give Jesse the ability to do good while at the same subverting that by indirectly fucking everything up through the subject's interpretation of the commands.

But perhaps I'm overthinking that.

Also, I like to think Genesis chose Jesse precisely because of his peculiar balance of good and evil.

Still liking the show but it's not moving fast enough. I think Better Call Saul has poisoned the pool on American Southwest serial television, here in Preacher there are too many scenes that don't advance the plot/characters.

I think the show's still building toward Jesse's inevitable
transformative "A-ha" moment in relation to Genesis and God
but I'd agree that it's bizarre that characters like Cassidy and Eugene got there so much quicker with half the information.

Genesis is half angel and half demon, so I imagine there is going to be temptation for both good and evil within Jesse. Perhaps the power itself manifests like that, with it appearing to give Jesse the ability to do good while at the same subverting that by indirectly fucking everything up through the subject's interpretation of the commands.

But perhaps I'm overthinking that.

Also, I like to think Genesis chose Jesse precisely because of his peculiar balance of good and evil.

Yeah, this is a good catch. "The path to hell is paved with good intentions." and all that.

I'm liking that Show-Jesse isn't just a
Good Guy with a Mean Streak
like Comic-Jesse. I think there's more potential for complexity here.

Beaulieu

That's not a good enough reason to put your kid at risk. Tulip was violent.
I think the average person, Christian or not, would've called the cops or at least threatened to call the cops as soon as Tulip came busting in, screaming obscenities, and throwing shit. And after she barged in, she went back to her car and sat there for a while. Wouldn't any mom be just a little bit worried about the whole ordeal?
I don't think it's a matter of, do the Christian thing. What gets me about this scene is that the character's reactions and actions don't seem logical or realistic in the slightest. The show is obviously sci-fi or has some some supernatural elements in it, but I still expect the characters to act realistically.

not everyone will call the police everytime there is a problem man, come on.
she saw tulip was troubled and needed to talk.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
jesse custer would have beaten the shit out of tv preacher after that eugene exchange. fuck

also
did they allude to the l'angells when he was talking to cass about his back tattoo? and "save town and ill be free?"

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
jesse custer would have beaten the shit out of tv preacher after that eugene exchange. fuck
So true. :( The creative decisions about Jesse's characterization are utterly baffling.

(comic spoilers)
also
did they allude to the l'angells when he was talking to cass about his back tattoo?
I thought of that too, but I'm not sure what the
tattoo
would be all about specifically. Somehow though, I don't think that the
"mean old lady"
reference is a coincidence.

and "save town and ill be free?"
I didn't catch that. Did he say something like that?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
So true. :( The creative decisions about Jesse's characterization are utterly baffling.

(comic spoilers)

I thought of that too, but I'm not sure what the
tattoo
would be all about specifically. Somehow though, I don't think that the
"mean old lady"
reference is a coincidence.

I didn't catch that. Did he say something like that?

during the eugene exchange, where hes talking about how he made a promise and seemingly forgot for a second that he was preacher

Moff

Jesse will soon come to realize what he did was wrong, that was very obviously not his "real" self. It was a ring of power moment. He is abusing genesis and is to a degree corrupted by it and the arsehole incident will likely make him realize that.

Top Bottom