• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Preacher |OT| The Beginning Is Nigh - Sundays 10/9c on AMC

scabro

from what i remember, the cowboy's story so far has just been being with the sick girl and her mother, going into ratwater to get the vial of medicine, but not making it back in time before they both died.

KonradLaw

Did I see it wright? Did that bunny sound man had no nipple? :D
Also, expected that all this good doing would end up in diseaster :D

Toa TAK

Banned
I haven't been active in this OT at all, but I've been watching and I really like it so far. Haven't read the comic, but I'm interested in seeing how it'll all play out. Kinda waiting on Jesse to go back to being a "bad man" again, but for now I really like how he's trying to use his gift for good, albeit with mixed results.

Moff

i hope the ratings go up again now that GOT is finished and they'll get some more budget for more interesting settings and action sequences in season 2

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
i hope the ratings go up again now that GOT is finished and they'll get some more budget for more interesting settings and action sequences in season 2

Or AMC cuts the budget and things go even slower.

No, not yet.

No but it's worth the wait.

Yes there was a scene earlier this season that is key to understanding what happened in this one. It's continuing that story.

OK thanks all. Was a bit distracted in all fairness during the start of the latest episode so think I will re watch the intro at least. I am enjoying the show though even if I am a bit wtf about alot of stuff

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
OK thanks all. Was a bit distracted in all fairness during the start of the latest episode so think I will re watch the intro at least. I am enjoying the show though even if I am a bit wtf about alot of stuff

I believe the first cowboy flashback was at the beginning of episode 2 fyi.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The 13 episode expansion is either a good sign in that they're increasing budget, or a terrible sign as the pacing will become even more glacial :p Too soon to tell. :p

Kadayi

Banned
Not read the comics, but have been watching it via Amazon prime. I'm a little unsure tbh. It feel a little bit slow to me. Will stick with it for now, but it needs to step up some.

BTW how true is it to the comics? Is the show a straight adaptation, or does it diverge quite a lot?

Sinatar

BTW how true is it to the comics? Is the show a straight adaptation, or does it diverge quite a lot?

It's almost completely unrecognizable from the comics. Nothing that's happening in the show is in the comics outside of the cowboy flashbacks.

I am like 99% positive that the cowboy story will not end the same way as the comics though , which is a damn shame.

Not read the comics, but have been watching it via Amazon prime. I'm a little unsure tbh. It feel a little bit slow to me. Will stick with it for now, but it needs to step up some.

Also not a comic reader but from what I understand without spoiling myself, it's very much a prequel doing it's own thing right now.

Seems like the next episode will be a return to form in terms of the action picking up all things considered---but they'd definitely do well to amp it up quite a bit from here.

Nice to see it got another season!

Dalek

I'm getting caught up-on Monster Swamp and I'm conficted about how I feel.

On one hand, I think it's a great looking show with a good cast. As a fan of the source material-I'm just confounded as to the pacing here. I really just don't get it.

Obscura

What? No. AMC would never do that to a show based on a comic. Get outta here.

Just curious, why do you feel so strongly about this? Hasn't AMC only produced one other show based off of a comic? A show that did well ratings-wise first season?

Maybe after episode 6 I'll post my thoughts on the show. Like many posters here I'm still conflicted. Some aspects are better than expected (Arseface is the heart of this show) and some... Some are questionable. Cassidy and Tulip, Jesse's dad being a preacher (UGH. Two of the best arcs/subplots completely changed) and SoK story change are all bizarre and saddening.

I think I worded all that to where I don't need spoiler tags. If I'm wrong please let me know.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Question about the latest episode, involving Odin

Why did he shoot those four people?
Isn't he meant to be serving God?

Sinatar

As you saw with the guy who cut his own heart out, people take Custers commands very literally, we have no idea how Odin interprets 'serving god'. Perhaps he sees it as killing evil doers. Perhaps he's going to cut them up and serve them as supper for the church. Who knows.

Moff

yeah we will definitely get an explanation to how he saw that as serving god, but it's certainly a backfire of that command

Siegcram

Just curious, why do you feel so strongly about this? Hasn't AMC only produced one other show based off of a comic? A show that did well ratings-wise first season?
I was being sarcastic since AMC did precisely that with TWD which was vastly more popular than Preacher currently is (and likely ever will be).

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
If they could keep the rest of the season going at a ever quicker clip the slower paced first half would work well in contrast

Yeah, I've been a little bored the past couple episodes but some payoff in the second half could make up for that. The show isn't ever bad, just slow for what it is. There is so much that is going on out of context and spread between episodes without connective tissue. I think my biggest fault against Preacher would be that they expect the audience to remember too much after just being dropped off in this world.

jett

D-Member
Caught up. Nothing's happening still, and the cryptic bullshit wore thin on me on the first episode.

And yet it's still kinda entertaining, but a couple more episodes of this and I'm probably gonna abandon it. It's well-made at least.

KonradLaw

Great news. I've really enjoyed this season so far. Altough I do wish there was more plot. Hopefully it will follow Penny Dreadful example.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Watched the first batch of episodes. Cassidy is perfect, Tulip Redux is a great addition, and the (character spoiler)
'angels'
are really charming. The rest is a bit 'meh'.

I'm finding it to be too meandering, lacking in any of the mad cap energy that made the comics so much fun. I usually like slow, but it isn't working for me here. It doesn't seem to have much of their heart either. I feel like it's kind of missed the point a little. I dunno. Big fan of the comic but not massively impressed with this take on it yet.

Watched the first batch of episodes. Cassidy is perfect, Tulip Redux is a great addition, and the (character spoiler)
'angels'
are really charming. The rest is a bit 'meh'.

I'm finding it to be too meandering, lacking in any of the mad cap energy that made the comics so much fun. I usually like slow, but it isn't working for me here. It doesn't seem to have much of their heart either. I feel like it's kind of missed the point a little. I dunno. Big fan of the comic but not massively impressed with this take on it yet.

I have to agree, there is too much deviation and the glacial pace is ruining it.

The one thing I hoped the series would mimic is the crazy breakneck pace of the books.

Breads

Banned

Did you forget the story he told you about how his family settled business affairs in the past in episode 4? He is just following the examples his grandfather and father set. And by that I mean murdering people encroaching on their business
I'm 99% certain this had nothing to do with the command to serve god.

They've been dropping pretty big hints as to how evil he is as a business man and this was just a surprisingly hard sell on this fact. On top of the softer sells like his complete disregard for human casualties, spying on the town's mayor when he leaves town, and pissing in his brief case.

Ricker

I see AMC has Preacher tonight for 2 hours...it seerms to be a special that might help people like me who never read the comics be less confused by some stuff or is it the first 2 episodes...? My DVR info has some weird information in there at times...(like wrong episode number,date,etc etc)...

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I see AMC has Preacher tonight for 2 hours...it seerms to be a special that might help people like me who never read the comics be less confused by some stuff or is it the first 2 episodes...? My DVR info has some weird information in there at times...(like wrong episode number,date,etc etc)...

AMC will air a “Preacher” catch-up marathon of the first five episodes from 9 p.m. on Thursday, June 30

Top Bottom