• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

Is it weird that that doesn't seem as awful a performance as I thought it would be? Though without absolute numbers, we have no idea exactly how bad or good that is (like maybe Injustice 2 sold 14 copies).

The research for the
electric phantom
says it is weak to EMP, but when I throw an EMP grenade, it doesn't seem to have any effect. Am I missing something?

The research for the
electric phantom
says it is weak to EMP, but when I throw an EMP grenade, it doesn't seem to have any effect. Am I missing something?
EMP Charge doesn't kill it, but rather disables its electricity attacks and the swirls of electricity around its body temporarily

Horns

Really digging this game. I just reached deep storage and have maybe 18 hours into it. I am spending a lot if time searching for items and learning bits of the story.

Is it weird that that doesn't seem as awful a performance as I thought it would be? Though without absolute numbers, we have no idea exactly how bad or good that is (like maybe Injustice 2 sold 14 copies).

Yeah that's what I'm worried about. It's nice to see it chart, but it doesn't mean much without numbers. Though it looks like it doesn't count digital copies, so I guess that's something.

Cracklox

Yeah that's what I'm worried about. It's nice to see it chart, but it doesn't mean much without numbers. Though it looks like it doesn't count digital copies, so I guess that's something.

GTAV, a near 4 year old game sold more than it. It doesn't bode well, but I'm hoping word of mouth of just how good the game is, helps it over time.

Anyway I'm on a kick for these sort of games. Bout to go grab a cheap copy of dishonored 2 which I've been putting off playing for a while, and rip into that. I'll come back to my second playthrough of this later

Ok I'm nearing the end and I am struggling with this repo man mission . (Find tech officer).

Says he's in psychotropics , searched all through it , waypoint indicates outside the ship, searched all around the phsychotronics exterior and can't find him.

Even YouTube and it seems to be in random spots , seriously hope this isn't some game breaking big as his is close to my game of the year!

Erheller

Ok I'm nearing the end and I am struggling with this repo man mission . (Find tech officer).

Says he's in psychotropics , searched all through it , waypoint indicates outside the ship, searched all around the phsychotronics exterior and can't find him.

Even YouTube and it seems to be in random spots , seriously hope this isn't some game breaking big as his is close to my game of the year!

I found it in the director's office. He has switch or something that opens a bookshelf or something and leads to his private looking glass room.

soultron

Banned
I'm playing it now and that is criminal. The marketing for these excellent games is atrocious.

It feels like these games are always really hard to market in any other format than the "play your way" segments -- but those tend to run on for a really long time in order to show multiple approaches.

I think that's why we ended up with the short spots positioning it as a horror game packed with jump scares. /shrugs

I feel like the demo was a really solid move this time around, but I still feel that other entertainment conversations at the time really drowned out the discussion. Same as how I feel releasing the full game the weekend GOTG Vol.2 was released didn't help their chances.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Finally got the plat! Hosed myself by trying to get I and It without a guide, ended up needing an extra playthrough. I don't mind, though, as this game was a total blast. I feel like it may not get a sequel, which would be a shame.

I feel sad now that I'm done with it. It's the rare game that, despite its flaws, pushes all the right buttons for me.

I found it in the director's office. He has switch or something that opens a bookshelf or something and leads to his private looking glass room.

The objective says psychotronics but i have searched inside and out everywhere for it.

I have seen playthroughs in cargo pays, now directors office (where is that btw, ive probably already searched it but cant remember its lcoation), is this objective just completely bugged? Its preventing me from finishing the game .

Cracklox

The objective says psychotronics but i have searched inside and out everywhere for it.

I have seen playthroughs in cargo pays, now directors office (where is that btw, ive probably already searched it but cant remember its lcoation), is this objective just completely bugged? Its preventing me from finishing the game .

Double checking, but have you listened to the 'mission parameters' recording in your data logs? That's supposed to reveal his exact location. If you have, then buggered if I know.

I found him no probs, but I can't really remember where it was he popped up

The location is apparently randomized on purpose (there are a few quests that do this). FWIW when I did it, I got the Talos I Exterior version of this mission, and the bugger ended up being quite hidden, inside a random utility tunnel I would have had difficulty finding if not for the objective marker. It's quite possible the Psychotronics version is similar.

Also, now that I've re-read all the replies to your post: the director's office is in Psychotronics. It's just off the room where you use the psychoscope on captured typhon specimens for the first time. Check that whole area again.

ActWan

Well, by exploring several areas while not progressing in the story at all since reaching the Lobby, I found out that
Neuromods are being created from Typhon, and also got the plans to fabricate them
so my question is -
does taking neuromods affect the story? I generally wanna have a run pure of alien powers because I know how science fiction generally works, and I also found someone in the Trauma Center that was being mind controlled by aliens after they removed neuromods from him and his head exploded when I came close to him. I was just sure the neuromods were human powers...
so, am I overthinking this? Am I fucked? Can I still redeem myself by
stopping to take them
?

Cracklox

Well, by exploring several areas while not progressing in the story at all since reaching the Lobby, I found out that
Neuromods are being created from Typhon, and also got the plans to fabricate them
so my question is -
does taking neuromods affect the story? I generally wanna have a run pure of alien powers because I know how science fiction generally works, and I also found someone in the Trauma Center that was being mind controlled by aliens after they removed neuromods from him and his head exploded when I came close to him. I was just sure the neuromods were human powers...
so, am I overthinking this? Am I fucked? Can I still redeem myself by
stopping to take them
?

There's an achievement for no powers at all, and also one for not using any
typhon powers, and not using any human powers
if you care about that stuff. Outside of that, there's a few things with the ending that can change. Basically though, (very vague details on how ending works)
if you take one of either, the game considers it the same as taking 120. So as long as you haven't selected any actual typhon powers, you're still good for a human only run. Taking too many typhon powers does have some other side effects however

ActWan

There's an achievement for no powers at all, and also one for not using any
typhon powers, and not using any human powers
if you care about that stuff. Outside of that, there's a few things with the ending that can change. Basically though, (very vague details on how ending works)
if you take one of either, the game considers it the same as taking 120. So as long as you haven't selected any actual typhon powers, you're still good for a human only run. Taking too many typhon powers does have some other side effects however

Ok thanks, I think I got it...But, does not taking anything affect the ending, or just gives you an achievement?

Cracklox

Ok thanks, I think I got it...But, does not taking anything affect the ending, or just gives you an achievement?

It does, but it's fairly minor I believe. Having said that, I've never done it myself, so others may be able to clarify better

Cosmic_Guru

Neo Member

No, just a couple of lines of dialogue. It's worthwhile doing a no-mod run just to see how the game is crafted to get round the potential choke points, and also how little combat is actually required.

Some of the typhon powers are rather cool to use and really help to save ammo and to find certain crew members. But then again if you recycle turrets and broken operators, you shouldn't run out of ammo.

4 run throughs here.

Is the ps4 pro situation been fixed ? (I think it was frame pacing)
Bethesda's CM Jess confirmed that the devs are working to fix the problem and will give an update as soon any new information is available

Kaspar is in the LG Conference Room. The room can be opened in Hans Kelstrup's computer (in utitlities) in his office

Use the map menu if you don't remember where the office is.

ActWan

It does, but it's fairly minor I believe. Having said that, I've never done it myself, so others may be able to clarify better

No, just a couple of lines of dialogue. It's worthwhile doing a no-mod run just to see how the game is crafted to get round the potential choke points, and also how little combat is actually required.

Some of the typhon powers are rather cool to use and really help to save ammo and to find certain crew members. But then again if you recycle turrets and broken operators, you shouldn't run out of ammo.

4 run throughs here.

Thanks. I'm planning on doing this run a human only run and without killing anyone, and the next run an alien only one and killing everyone. Will be interesting for sure

Sotha_Sil

All right thanks man. Is it better to take the PC version ? (hoping for some steam sale #_#)

Can't recommend this highly enough. I capped the game at 90fps using RTSS and rarely dropped below that on a mid-level rig (480 4gb). One location is laughably un-optimized, though.... I was in the low teens when looking directly into the middle of the room. Fortunately, you can get through this area really quickly and the rest of the game ran like a charm. On console, you're never going above 30.

Also, there's need for a lot of sharp turning when aiming since enemies can zip behind you in an instant. Using a mouse makes this MUCH easier to handle.

Think I might just start a new game instead of waiting for ng+. Don't think I have it in me to wait any longer. And the file I'm using is the one that used the materials glitch so, I will have everything unlocked.

Can't recommend this highly enough. I capped the game at 90fps using RTSS and rarely dropped below that on a mid-level rig (480 4gb). One location is laughably un-optimized, though.... I was in the low teens when looking directly into the middle of the room. Fortunately, you can get through this area really quickly and the rest of the game ran like a charm. On console, you're never going above 30.

Also, there's need for a lot of sharp turning when aiming since enemies can zip behind you in an instant. Using a mouse makes this MUCH easier to handle.

Ehh that becomes a none issue pretty early on. Since you can see the quick ones and kill them from a distance.

All right thanks man. Is it better to take the PC version ? (hoping for some steam sale #_#)

Absolutely. It's funny how Bethesda's dumb no-review-copies policy bit them in the ass on multiple fronts, because everyone assumed Prey's PC port would be as bad as Dishonored 2's, but it turned out to be the best version by a decent margin. Buy with confidence.

Need help figuring out what to do when fighting the
Nightmare
upon entering Crew Quarters. I'm dying here repeatedly. I have 2 minutes to flee or fight.

Kazuhira

Nightmare
upon entering Crew Quarters. I'm dying here repeatedly. I have 2 minutes to flee or fight.

Isn't that a random encounter? I was killed in that area too but i reloaded my previous save and it wasn't there anymore.

Nightmare

Go to the left and run up the stairs, then make another left into a room.
Beware that there is a Phantom in there but they should be easy to kill by now. I'm not sure if there are mind control people that close. If you get near them their heads will explode. You can you the mind control ability or electric gun to knock them out.

Cracklox

Nightmare

Ya I had that happen too. Nasty spot. After a few deaths I turned tail and went and explored other areas. It eventually spawned somewhere else where it was easier to deal with, and then I went back to the crew quarters where it was gone, and I could finally go about exploring that area. Which is great btw

Stoze

Absolutely. It's funny how Bethesda's dumb no-review-copies policy bit them in the ass on multiple fronts, because everyone assumed Prey's PC port would be as bad as Dishonored 2's, but it turned out to be the best version by a decent margin. Buy with confidence.
I hate score talk, but I can't help feeling bad for Arkane Austin that Prey got a 79 from PC Gamer while Dishonored 2 got a 93 from them, and then the Metacritic score for the PC version of Prey was the lowest for a while at/near release. No good deed goes unpunished.

I hate score talk, but I can't help feeling bad for Arkane Austin that Prey got a 79 from PC Gamer while Dishonored 2 got a 93 from them, and then the Metacritic score for the PC version of Prey was the lowest for a while at/near release. No good deed goes unpunished.

I honestly have to agree.

I loved Prey more than Dishonored 2, which says a lot since the latter is my GOTY of last year.

They're both great games. Flaws and all, but still great.

Prey being near the top of the sales charts during the Steam sale is making me happy. It may not have sold great on release, but I feel like all the positive word of mouth will give it more consistent sales over time (rather than just a bunch right at release).

Kayhan

How does this compare to System Shock 2? Or lets say Bioshock for the younger crowd?

I am tempted by the Steam sale but looking at screenshots it looks like a dark and dreary corridor game.

Erheller

How does this compare to System Shock 2? Or lets say Bioshock for the younger crowd?

I am tempted by the Steam sale but looking at screenshots it looks like a dark and dreary corridor game.

I can't really make comparisons to System Shock 2 or Bioshock 1+2 because I haven't played those games, but I can say that this game is definitely not a corridor shooter.

45 hrs later i have finally finished this amazing game.

Best game i have played this gen for me. I loved there was no hand holding, just a audio tape and you go off to try and solve it yourself. A few locked doors i never found key cards for but otherwise i think i explored about 95 percent of the station.

Opening the safe using igwes music recording is the perfect example of this

Cant wait to see what Arkane do next.

It's been a long time since I've played System Shock 2, but this feels like its spiritual successor, much more so than Bioshock ever did. It is absolutely not a bland corridor shooter.

bati

Much closer to SS2 - there are some differences though, you can tell it's a modern take on the formula (not in a bad way) and some parts of the game feel a little 'overdesigned' compared to SS2 where you're on your own from minute one. But then the game throws you for a loop and gives you even more freedom than SS2 or original Deus Ex, it's crazy. Extremely tight design throughout, practically no filler, good pacing, crazy level design, great controls and minute to minute gameplay - it's a dream come true for a fan of immersive sims.

Bishock, as fun as it is, doesn't even begin to compare.

soultron

Banned
OK I think you guys sold me on it.

That is two Arkane games for me today in the Steam Sale - Prey and Dishonored 2.

Pretty good value and you'll be busy for a long time.

Also, have you played Dishonoured 1? It and the DLCs are fantastic. The DLCs basically amount to a game almost equal in size and quality to the main game. The upcoming DLC for Dis2 actually plays off a lot of the story from the first game's DLC.

I'd recommend picking those up and playing them before playing Dis2 if you care about the story/universe at all.

It's been a long time since I've played System Shock 2, but this feels like its spiritual successor, much more so than Bioshock ever did. It is absolutely not a bland corridor shooter.

I just finished it and I'd agree. It has a more open "possibility space." They've been narrowing that in each game since Bioshock as they refined other areas. Of course, more openness can lead to jank and weird glitches and I definitely noticed them in Prey, but that's a tradeoff that's worth it to me.

BeeDog

Any updates on future PS4 patches and performance improvements? Jonesing a bit to replay this game, but want to hold off until the performance improves again.

Top Bottom