• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

Light spoilers:

About skill points:
Aside from finding them in the environment, you can actually fabricate them using in-game resources. There's no way to re-roll/re-spec, however. I never had trouble finding/making them. There's several really great quests built around the narrative behind the skill points and some interesting twists if you try to consume or make too many of them.

About fast travel:
You gain control of an elevator that shuttles you quickly between parts of the station. You can also find one of many airlocks to spacewalk to other parts of the station as well. The airlock options are available most of the time, even if you've not already unlocked the elevator. There is no fast travel, however. The station is pretty large but not having fast travel wasn't a huge negative, IMO, since you'll memorize the station pretty fast and know the best routes you can use to get around really quickly.

Yeah I've seen that. I am up to the
life support bit where I have to kill a telepath or whatever they are called
I have no resources to craft and I've hit that point where a side quest has kicked in for crafting too many. This game is not good if you just wanna blast through the main story :/

Yeah I've seen that. I am up to the
life support bit where I have to kill a telepath or whatever they are called
I have no resources to craft and I've hit that point where a side quest has kicked in for crafting too many. This game is not good if you just wanna blast through the main story :/
It's why it's recommended to do side quests and explore around so it can give you a headstart against the Typhon

I finally beat the game. The last part of the game is a buggy mess. For multiple missions the game would not acknowledge completion of tasks
(getting Alex's arming key; fabricating Morgan's arming key; putting Alex in his safe room)
and for one mission
(where you have to save Dahl, he kept spontaneously dying)
. The last 10-15 minutes of the game took me more than an hour because I kept having to reload the game to make it acknowledge completion.

Which is unfortunate, because up until the bugs in the last part the game was great. And the game's ending is actually pretty good. But this was the System Shock sequel I've been wanting forever. But it's unfortunate that the last hour of the game was pure frustration.

Cracklox

Crew Quarters were so good

All the goings on, but especially the tiff between Abigail and Danielle, and watching that all play out with emails and audio logs, and then finding Abigails body in crazy cooks freezer. Copped feels. Then clearing out the gym and wacking away on the glass to signal Danielle to come floating on in was a great moment. Though, homegirls in some trouble out there. I also found a wedding ring that's marked as a quest item, that I'm not sure if I missed something for, or if I'll get the opportunity to give it back to her later. I want to try and finish that quest but I'm still in the process off unlocking down the station dammit

Crew Quarters were so good

All the goings on, but especially the tiff between Abigail and Danielle, and watching that all play out with emails and audio logs, and then finding Abigails body in crazy cooks freezer. Copped feels. Then clearing out the gym and wacking away on the glass to signal Danielle to come floating on in was a great moment. Though, homegirls in some trouble out there. I also found a wedding ring that's marked as a quest item, that I'm not sure if I missed something for, or if I'll get the opportunity to give it back to her later. I want to try and finish that quest but I'm still in the process off unlocking down the station dammit
You'll get the quest for the ring later. It's hard to miss because it's along the path of the story.

Kazuhira

I've just reached
Deep Storage
,how far am i?
Alex locked me up and tells me that deep storage is the safest place in the station,yet i walk 2 steps and i see a technopath,phantoms,thermal phantoms and great mimics -_-

I've just reached
Deep Storage
,how far am i?
Alex locked me up and tells me that deep storage is the safest place in the station,yet i walk 2 steps and i see a technopath,phantoms,thermal phantoms and great mimics -_-
Depends on how much you explore further on I guess. Took me probably 10-15 more hours to finish the game from the point on.

Bluth54

Is this scary, or just thrilling?

Is there a definite "space" element to it?

Thanks in advance.

There are some jump scares, especially from a type of enemy that can disguise itself as an object in the environment and attack you when you get close.

The game is set on a space station and you travel outside the space station in your space suit though the vast majority of the game is set inside the station.

There are some jump scares, especially from a type of enemy that can disguise itself as an object in the environment and attack you when you get close.

The game is set on a space station and you travel outside the space station in your space suit though the vast majority of the game is set inside the station.

Nothing scary, there's one optionnal moment that made me shit my pants but otherwise it's pretty soft horror-wise.
And the space element is very important and absolutely awesome I thought.
Thanks! Sounds good. :D

CHC

Thanks in advance.

About as scary as something like System Shock 2 or Resident Evil 4. Tense but not a run-and-hide kind of game, you have resources and can fight back quite handily.

It's also VERY space-y. The zero-G sections are true zero-G - you can freely rotate, spin, whatever. There is no up or down, and it can get pretty mind-bending in some areas. The art direction also really taps into 60s space program stuff, lots of big panels and foil-sheathed piping, stuff like that. Great art direction.

soultron

Banned

Thanks in advance.

There are a few scripted jump scares and some that naturally come from you getting too comfortable and forgetting that mimics are hiding in plain sight. ;)

I got spooked a few times but laughed it off immediately after because it was My Own Damned Fault.

Cracklox

This games moving into 'game I'll remember for a while territory', as opposed to something I'll think about in a few years and go 'Oh yeah. Thats right, I played that'. It's pretty special. Have basically spent the last 2 days playing and now at 30 hours, and tidying up side quests (that I keep finding) before presumably moving to the finish.
Alex wants to meet me in his crib to talk about the 2nd key
so i assume its not too far

You'll get the quest for the ring later. It's hard to miss because it's along the path of the story.

Thanks. Good to know.

The space sections are fantastic

Yah. I just spent 15 minutes or so flying around the outside admiring the scale, and how all the different areas fit together and how they looked from the outside.
Then I got splattered by crystalid pods and a telepath while I was taking in the view and not paying attention :(

The Arkane's intention was to place you on a science space station, not a battlefield. This intention drove all of the weapon design in the game.
Even that being the case, some more improvised science weapons would have been fun. Like Dead Space style.

Edit: Though in my only playthrough, I ignored all the typhon abilities. Maybe the lack of weapon variety doesn't feel so bad when using all the psi powers?

Even that being the case, some more improvised science weapons would have been fun. Like Dead Space style.

Edit: Though in my only playthrough, I ignored all the typhon abilities. Maybe the lack of weapon variety doesn't feel so bad when using all the psi powers?

You feel godly with all the abilities unlocked. Like nothing could touch me. So fun.

CHC

You feel godly with all the abilities unlocked. Like nothing could touch me. So fun.

Yeah I started with some human abilities and then just double down on that as I went on and realized how deeply I love turrets, and became afraid of them turning on me at some point.

Definitely going to do a second run later with only Typhon powers. I think it'll be fun to hardly use any weapons.

Yeah I started with some human abilities and then just double down on that as I went on and realized how deeply I love turrets, and became afraid of them turning on me at some point.

Definitely going to do a second run later with only Typhon powers. I think it'll be fun to hardly use any weapons.

Was worried at first, but like 90% of them are shut down. There were only a few cases of active turrets.

CHC

Love how this game literally lets you get ANYWHERE:

20170616211559_1hws5a.jpg

(Upper rafters of the lobby)

CHC

Just finished at 34 hours.... this game was absolutely incredible. I'll be playing this several more times over the coming years, just like I did with Dishonored.

I wound up having no real issues with the late-game pacing, actually. By the time the
military operators started showing up in force, necessitating a more rushed pace, I had already thoroughly explored and knew my way around. It would have been frustrating dealing with them in new areas
, but as it is I felt like it gave me a sense of urgency I didn't have before.

The ending was
also not nearly as bad or abrupt as others led me to believe. The post credits scene kind of blew my mind, it was the last thing I expected after a narrative that already got weird and surprising a number of other times

Sadly a severely underrated game, but with Arkane I guess that's par for the course.

Just finished this (ending spoilers)
used the nullwave
and I really enjoyed it. I wouldn't have liked the ending but
the post credits scene is exactly the kind of crazy thing I was hoping for, so it saved what was a somewhat more straightforward than I expected ending otherwise
. Glad I got it, sad it didn't do better

Cracklox

Just beat it. Done in....

Just finished at 34 hours....

That too!

Re ending
I smoked the uber typhon and preserved the station, which I guess is supposed to be the closest thing to a 'good ending' but I couldn't help but feel nuking the entire station wouldn't have been the better way to go for humanities sake. Of course 5-10 mins later that was all kinda moot anyway. Also, I really dug the credits scene from the pov of the concierge desk in the crew quarters when the outbreak broke out

Great stuff overall, but the load time really hurt things in the back part of the game. Early on it wasn't a problem, because you would spend ages in each new area before moving on, so they were pretty infrequent. Running all over the station towards the end, there were times where I'd get close to 5 minutes of loading to about 30 secs of playing. It hurt things a bit, but I cared enough about what was going on to put up with it. Still, what I'd give for the game to be just 1 huge open space, with no loading between areas. That'd go along way towards making the game even more memorable then it is.

Now to do a
typhon only/murdify everything and everyone
playthrough Should be fun

horkrux

Re ending
I smoked the uber typhon and preserved the station, which I guess is supposed to be the closest thing to a 'good ending' but I couldn't help but feel nuking the entire station wouldn't have been the better way to go for humanities sake. Of course 5-10 mins later that was all kinda moot anyway. Also, I really dug the credits scene from the pov of the concierge desk in the crew quarters when the outbreak broke out

Yes and yes and yes any yes and yes. I really liked the ending. Makes me wonder why it was criticized in the first place.

Took me 40h. I was rushing the last few hours though and didn't finish some of the side quests like the one with the treasure maps. I had already been to all the areas and I was chock-full of supplies to play some Doom with those Typhon.
What I didn't get was why some of those military bots wrecked your shit harder than others. Those bots at the shuttle sliced me up in a matter of two seconds.
Tbh while the game was awesome, I really wanted to finally finish it at that point to move on to something else lol
There is some good replay value, so I will definitely play this again at some point.

CHC

Now to do a
typhon only/murdify everything and everyone
playthrough Should be fun

Yup, I did human only on the first run, and actually accidentally managed to get the "most empathetic way possible" achievement after the credits. Next run I'm going to do Typhon only and destroy all humans on the station.

ActWan

Well - I only got to
my office
, and went back to explore the neuromod division...I found the volunteer quarters and used my GLOO gun to get somewhere I probably shouldn't have - there's a
huge enemy that's carrying a turret and can use electricity to hurt me
Should I try to press forward or am I getting ahead of myself? Can I accidentally skip story bits this way?

Well - I only got to
my office
, and went back to explore the neuromod division...I found the volunteer quarters and used my GLOO gun to get somewhere I probably shouldn't have - there's a
huge enemy that's carrying a turret and can use electricity to hurt me
Should I try to press forward or am I getting ahead of myself? Can I accidentally skip story bits this way?

I assume you've encountered the Technopath. I'd suggest leaving it until you have enough abilities and tools to take it on.

Some of the areas are completely optional to explore and the side-quests connected to those areas

This is one of my fav games ever , but then it took a nosedive
once the military dude appears and endless respawn of engineer bots

Feels like I am being forced to play I don't want to.

plus the fact a nightmare entered my office and wiped out dc igwe before he could finish my quest line. Talk about bad timing lol

Cracklox

Yes and yes and yes any yes and yes. I really liked the ending. Makes me wonder why it was criticized in the first place.

Took me 40h. I was rushing the last few hours though and didn't finish some of the side quests like the one with the treasure maps. I had already been to all the areas and I was chock-full of supplies to play some Doom with those Typhon.
What I didn't get was why some of those military bots wrecked your shit harder than others. Those bots at the shuttle sliced me up in a matter of two seconds.
Tbh while the game was awesome, I really wanted to finally finish it at that point to move on to something else lol
There is some good replay value, so I will definitely play this again at some point.

I didn't really know the ending was criticized. But then, I didn't know a lot about the game period, other then some overall favorable impressions here. I thought it was pretty good though.
It was all a dream is a bit cliche I guess, but the game felt like it earned it. Plus I like the whole simulation within a simulation idea
The main thing I wanted that wasn't addressed was
Morgan and Alex pops basically putting a hit out on them with no fucks given.
Unless I missed something, I don't think that was really mentioned again. Also
what happened to Danielle? Dead I presume. She wasn't sounding good last time I heard from her

Re the spoiled part. Yeah they were annoying at first. One of em seemed to take more ammo to put down then a
nightmare
That was until I decided to try one of the recycler charges
in the ambush in the medbay
and those things wreck them. I had a pretty huge stockpile cos I hadn't been using them much, so I abused them for the last part of the game. Needless to say it helped with resources at the same time.

Yup, I did human only on the first run, and actually accidentally managed to get the "most empathetic way possible" achievement after the credits. Next run I'm going to do Typhon only and destroy all humans on the station.

Ha I was close to human only. I grabbed the first typhon power I could when it came up, but soon realised I just wanted to use human stuff this playthrough, so that was the only one I had and I barely used it. Mucked up an achievement but no biggie. Also got the 'most empathetic' ending but per above I can't help but feel
sticking to the original plan and nuking it too high heaven
would be the better way to go in that situation.

I'm also thinking typhon only is going to be more tricky even with knowledge of how things work now. Lack of inventory space and no hacking or turrets amongst other things, are going to make me rethink how to do a lot of areas. I started and got an hour or two in last night and already lost 2 of my trusty turrets in the lobby, and I can't get repair to fix them up. That's going to be interesting
when all hell breaks out in there later
Those things got me through that. Though thinking about it, by that point
my turrets might not like me alot anyway
so maybe its for the best

I didn't really know the ending was criticized. But then, I didn't know a lot about the game period, other then some overall favorable impressions here. I thought it was pretty good though.
It was all a dream is a bit cliche I guess, but the game felt like it earned it. Plus I like the whole simulation within a simulation idea
The main thing I wanted that wasn't addressed was
Morgan and Alex pops basically putting a hit out on them with no fucks given.
Unless I missed something, I don't think that was really mentioned again. Also
what happened to Danielle? Dead I presume. She wasn't sounding good last time I heard from her
It was all a dream implies that the Talos 1 incident never happened, which it did as we can see that the Typhon have taken over Earth. It's a simulation of Morgan's memories through the incident, after all

jettpack

I finished the game a couple days ago. Absolutely loved it. One of my Favorite games in the past 5 years or so. So incredible. Made me finally start playing system shock 2 (which I also love BTW)

jettpack

It was all a dream implies that the Talos 1 incident never happened, which it did as we can see that the Typhon have taken over Earth. It's a simulation of Morgan's memories through the incident, after all
Yeah. I think the ending works.
They super earned it. And the reveal actually adds meaning and gives you a new revelation instead of just nullifying the whole narrative

Bluth54

This is one of my fav games ever , but then it took a nosedive
once the military dude appears and endless respawn of engineer bots

Feels like I am being forced to play I don't want to.

plus the fact a nightmare entered my office and wiped out dc igwe before he could finish my quest line. Talk about bad timing lol

I thought the
military bots were super easy, just stun them with the stun gun then hack them. Of course if you don't have level 4 hacking that could be a bit of an issue.

I once had the nightmare spawn in the cargo bay however he didn't activate until I got close to him so the people in the cargo back took out like half of his health before he activated.

munroe

I don't get why Danielle didn't just enter an airlock, did she really rather prefer dying in space as opposed to potentially dying by Typhon?

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
I'm really enjoying the game, but I have to say that soo much of the audio bugs me. Morgan's voice when she's swinging the wrench, climbing, or doing anything that takes effort sounds like she's being hurt rather than exerting herself. I have to keep checking the health gauge to make sure she didn't take damage.

Also, I wish there were visual cues for enemy voice location. I don't know if it's my tv, but it's like the voices destroy all sense of 3d sound.

Sotha_Sil

Just finished the game, clocked in a little over 40 hours. I can see why people rushing through and finishing under 20 hours had inventory problems. However, the game really does give you everything you need to swiftly defeat each enemy. Blindly charging and gunning (which is how it seems a lot of the reviewers played it) is not the best way. Stealth with a fully upgraded shotgun takes out almost every enemy with a single shot.

Overall, just a fantastic game. The final chapter was a little hampered with the arrival of the
military operators
, but they were easily handled with
Leverage III
. Would have liked to see some more infighting between them and the Typhon. I thought how they wrapped up all the choices made along the way was well done. I tried reloading a save right before the ending a few times to see how it could all play out... and was pleasantly surprised. I suspect there's even more options than I tried.

Now, that ending. It bordered on being cliche, but it worked. I'm guessing they will do something similar to Dishonored 1, where they made Low Chaos/Saving Daud the canon path. For Prey 2 if it ever releases, I suspect (MAJOR SPOILERS)
our "Morgan" will be a typhon with humanity's empathy embedded in it, just as Alex and the other characters were hoping would happen. Either that, or a new cast of characters telling a different part of the story; maybe a human colony from the survivors of Earth's takeover

GOTY for me so far.

CHC

Also got the 'most empathetic' ending but per above I can't help but feel
sticking to the original plan and nuking it too high heaven
would be the better way to go in that situation.

You can actually get that achievement
AND blow the station up. If you incapacitate Dahl and then make sure everyone gets to the shuttle, they all wind up surviving
and you come out of it being the good guy.

Yeah. I think the ending works.
They super earned it. And the reveal actually adds meaning and gives you a new revelation instead of just nullifying the whole narrative

I just generally don't understand criticisms of the games pacing and ending at all, honestly. It's quite smart - you begin by exploring areas slowly and deliberately, then periodically return to them as they are taken over by more and more powerful enemies. Then things finally come to a head as you are faced with the
respawning military operators purging the station
, forcing you to make a mad rush through the areas that you (presumably) know like the back of your hand at that point. I thought it was an absolutely perfect way to capitalize on the game's dense and labyrinthine structure. It would have been frustrating if the
operators
were in NEW areas but as is now it feels like the game's "final exam," like it's relying on the fact that you better damn well know what you're doing by that point.

And yes, the ending was amazing too. Instead of the
"dream" making your decisions meaningless it actually makes them MORE meaningful. You've unknowingly been the ambassador for humanity's first alien relations and your actions decide how your race regards ours
. It's totally fucking cool. Blew me away when I first learned it and gets cooler the more I think about it.

I'll be playing this game for YEARS.

Top Bottom