• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

Any updates on future PS4 patches and performance improvements? Jonesing a bit to replay this game, but want to hold off until the performance improves again.

Only that Jess from Bethesda confirmed that the devs are working on the problem and will be giving updates as soon new info comes in

In other news, ever had the moment where you thought you did well in your kill all humans run but forgot to kill that one guy you knocked out? As well as the fact you forgot to make a manual save before killing the human survivors?

I did. 5 and a half hours wasted. ._.

*Makes a mental note to forget to make manual save next time*

gstaff

Only that Jess from Bethesda confirmed that the devs are working on the problem and will be giving updates as soon new info comes in

In other news, ever had the moment where you thought you did well in your kill all humans run but forgot to kill that one guy you knocked out? As well as the fact you forgot to make a manual save before killing the human survivors?

I did. 5 and a half hours wasted. ._.

*Makes a mental note to forget to make manual save next time*

We haven't forgotten. As soon as we have substantive info to share, we'll let you guys know. It's still coming.

ActWan

Omg. I just found out leverage is pretty much useless - I throw a recycler grenade and it fucking works. I love this game!

Omg. I just found out leverage is pretty much useless - I throw a recycler grenade and it fucking works. I love this game!

Eh, Leverage is pretty useful. Combine it with Remote Manipulation and you can kill enemies by plunging huge objects towards them

Unpowered door? Not a problem. Just use Leverage 3

CHC

Even before you get the grenades you can just wedge an explosive canister between the objects blocking your path and shoot it, usually it blows them out of the way. Still took leverage later but nevertheless, there are few (if any) situations where you can't get by any other way. Mostly good for prying open doors later.

J-bo

Really been struggling to finish this. The first 3-4 hours were awesome, but now I find myself pushing just to finish it. Not sure how far I am in now
Just got to the part where you need to find 3 voice recorders to open the door

Does the game pick up a bit to match the amazing first couple of hours?

Bliddo

Finished it. I loved it and the fact that it basically came out of nowhere, I wasn't expecting such a well crafted game.

The only thing that I REALLY hated is the last hour, which is basically a "let's revisit every single level multiple times enjoying massive load times". I guess it's not a big deal on pc, but on a ps4 it was brutal.

ActWan

Eh, Leverage is pretty useful. Combine it with Remote Manipulation and you can kill enemies by plunging huge objects towards them

Unpowered door? Not a problem. Just use Leverage 3

Never thought of throwing objects on enemies tbh, could be a great tactic :)

Roussow

Really been struggling to finish this. The first 3-4 hours were awesome, but now I find myself pushing just to finish it. Not sure how far I am in now
Just got to the part where you need to find 3 voice recorders to open the door

Does the game pick up a bit to match the amazing first couple of hours?

The part you're in is arguably my favorite are of the game, and gives you some of the best character work and writing. I really didn't notice a dip in quality, I mean if you were down for Hardware Labs and Psychotronics, I don't see how you wouldn't be into the Arboretum or Crew Quarters. The parts of the game that I consider a little less exciting is when you're heading to the very bottom of the station, and the last stretch of the game that has you covering already explored areas.

Sci-fi dishonored,i don't want to stir shit but it feels like a disservice to compare it with those games IMO.
When I think of Dishonored, I think of non-linear missions in isolated locations. Prey, on the other hand, is a one big interconnected level.

While both Prey and Dishonored share the same design principles, they're different from each other. So the former's comparisons to being System Shock's successor are valid

RuhRo

What a mess. Immersive sims are my favorite genre. I'd have bought and played this day one if it hadn't been marred by technical issues. Now I'm still waiting for them to iron out the kinks in the PS4 Pro version, and at this point will just hold tight until the inevitable price drops, which cant be far off given the game's sales.

What a mess. Immersive sims are my favorite genre. I'd have bought and played this day one if it hadn't been marred by technical issues. Now I'm still waiting for them to iron out the kinks in the PS4 Pro version, and at this point will just hold tight until the inevitable price drops, which cant be far off given the game's sales.
Just beat the game yesterday on my PS4 Pro. Clocked in 35'ish? hours. Only had 1 crash. Everything else was flawless except the long loading screens. No idea why you are having issues.

Prey is a legitimate GOTY contender.

Is the regular-ass PS4 version patched up and good to go now? The game's $50 now at my local walmart and I'm tempted cuz I loved the demo but was turned off by the tech issues.

StarPhlox

I originally got this game from Redbox and had extremely mixed feelings but I picked it up digitally cause of the Sony sale and now I love it. Probably taking my time with it instead of rushing through it like a rental helps much more. Taking it slowly is the way to go.

RuhRo

Just beat the game yesterday on my PS4 Pro. Clocked in 35'ish? hours. Only had 1 crash. Everything else was flawless except the long loading screens. No idea why you are having issues.

Prey is a legitimate GOTY contender.

Digital Foundry claims it has terrible frame pacing issues and a bug that reduces FOV every time you open the inventory.

I'm not playing until those issues are fixed. Low FOV, especially, is a big sticking point for me.

Just beat this game last night. It was sooo good. While I think Zelda has GOTY in the bag, Prey should be on all the contenders lists. Metacritic is definitely too low for this game. I blame bethesda's review policy. This game is best spent taking your time, and reviewers probs rushed it out. Unfortunate as I hope there is a sequel, but it looks unlikely :p Reception wasn't great enough with reviews to pull sales ahead. Its more of a shame as this was probably the best immersive sin released in the HD era.

Any word on new game + patch later down the road? Trying to decide if I should replay it or wait...

I absolutely hated the GUTS part in this. In fact most of the ev parts were annoying and I dreaded having to go to zero g areas. Those homing fireball things didn't help either.

bosseye

I'm sort of losing interest. I think it's the phantoms, they're just a bad enemy. I find them visually dull, incredibly uninspired, not in the slightest bit scary or unsettling, I don't like their sound design and I find teleporting attacks the height of irritation to fight against. I'm just not finding them fun to fight at all so my heart sinks every time I come across one, which is often. For me they're detracting from the rest of the game. I've put 10 hours into it, just about to go to deep storage and can't really muster the enthusiasm.

Also this frame pacing bug is supremely annoying.

Digital Foundry claims it has terrible frame pacing issues and a bug that reduces FOV every time you open the inventory.

I'm not playing until those issues are fixed. Low FOV, especially, is a big sticking point for me.

No idea what frame pacing is. Never stopped me from platinum'ing Bloodborne and beating Prey (both games people say suffer so much from frame pacing...) Both amazing games. Idk what to tell you. Only issue with Prey is long loading times. Wish everything was seamless.

psychotron

No idea what frame pacing is. Never stopped me from platinum'ing Bloodborne and beating Prey (both games people say suffer so much from frame pacing...) Both amazing games. Idk what to tell you. Only issue with Prey is long loading times. Wish everything was seamless.

I've played XB1 and PS4 versions and the XB1 version is unbelievably smoother. That frame pacing shit is terrible. Sure, it's technically playable, but much better with proper frame pacing.

About 6-7 hours into this now. Was wondering if side quests are missable or if there is a warning at sometime before the last story mission to go and finish all the side quests? I want to finish up the story and then get through the side quests.

About 6-7 hours into this now. Was wondering if side quests are missable or if there is a warning at sometime before the last story mission to go and finish all the side quests? I want to finish up the story and then get through the side quests.

By the time you meet Alex in the Arboretum after dealing with Dahl and his Operators, its the point of no return

Its better to finish the side quests right after
rebooting the station

Roussow

So I've run through the game about 3 or 4 times now, and feel pretty confident having come across pretty optimal ways to deal with threats, the only enemy I'm not 100% sure I've got the best method of defeating is the Cystoids, I usually pop the nests with a GLOO round, and then either fire away with GLOO at the individual entities (which is pretty hard to land shots on these enemies with), alternatively the best method for hitting the large pack of Cystoids I've come across seems to be using a Kinetic Blast, usually drops a whole pack in zero-g with ease.

So I've run through the game about 3 or 4 times now, and feel pretty confident having come across pretty optimal ways to deal with threats, the only enemy I'm not 100% sure I've got the best method of defeating is the Cystoids, I usually pop the nests with a GLOO round, and then either fire away with GLOO at the individual entities (which is pretty hard to land shots on these enemies with), alternatively the best method for hitting the large pack of Cystoids I've come across seems to be using a Kinetic Blast, usually drops a whole pack in zero-g with ease.

Throwing objects or using Huntress Boltcaster are very handy against them as well

Cracklox

I just chuck something at the nest. In zero g especially it works a treat. The nest blows up, and then all the spores chase after whatever you throw and blow themselves up. Job done.

I also use the glue cannon, but you seem to have to actually hit them with it and is a bit more of a pain if there's nothing arounnd to throw

By the time you meet Alex in the Arboretum after dealing with Dahl and his Operators, its the point of no return

Its better to finish the side quests right after
rebooting the station
Wow. haha I am literally there right now...I think. Guess I am turning back now. Am I near the end of the story then? I have been taking my time. My save says 11 hours actually and not 6 or 7.

Thanks!

Edit: Actually nvm it seems I am very far from the point of no return.

Typhon lures > cystoids

Is the regular-ass PS4 version patched up and good to go now? The game's $50 now at my local walmart and I'm tempted cuz I loved the demo but was turned off by the tech issues.

The game still suffers from some issues, If you are super sensitive to frame pacing and what not, avoid it until it's patched. If things like that don't bother you, go right ahead an play. For example I beat the game and only had 2 noticeable issues.

haveheart

Banned
I've finished this game a while ago but I can't stop thinking about it.

Particularly the Danielle Sho storyline got to me. I find myself listening to the OST almost every day, it's glorious.

I really hope they keep supporting this game and maybe work on an add-on after they've released Dishonored's add-on.

Does anyone know if there's an artbook?

edit: ok, just found out that there is a 180 pages artbook titled The Art of Prey. That's what I was looking for.

Sotha_Sil

Just beat this game last night. It was sooo good. While I think Zelda has GOTY in the bag, Prey should be on all the contenders lists. Metacritic is definitely too low for this game. I blame bethesda's review policy. This game is best spent taking your time, and reviewers probs rushed it out. Unfortunate as I hope there is a sequel, but it looks unlikely :p Reception wasn't great enough with reviews to pull sales ahead. Its more of a shame as this was probably the best immersive sin released in the HD era.

Any word on new game + patch later down the road? Trying to decide if I should replay it or wait...

Agreed. I took approximately 45-50 hours to complete the game, and I still didn't see everything. I can't imagine how the reviewers who quote under 20 hours of playtime (some even approaching 15) did it. Scratch that, I can - their complaints about resource scarcity, enemies hitting too hard, or being too spongy means they must have rushed through it and missed a lot of what was going on.

After a certain point in the game you should be able to, with one notable exception, kill every enemy in the game within 3 hits. This was with me playing on hard and only with human powers (+ mimic, a non-offensive one). I know the typhon powers give you an even greater arsenal.

Damn shame the console performance isn't up to scratch, especially considering it's one of the best PC ports/versions I've come across. Hopefully they get that sorted out for you soon.

Do phantoms get buffed somewhere around
meeting January?
They're impossible to foam-wrench now and only grenades and explosives can/may kill them.

ActWan

meeting January?
They're impossible to foam-wrench now and only grenades and explosives can/may kill them.

These are just a different type of phantoms (and mimics). Notice how their name is "???" And their remains hurt you after you kill them. Wrench + foam still works wonders for me, try getting the wrench neuromods skills and upgrading the gloo cannon.

meeting January?

Those are elite type of phantoms. There are three: Etheric, Thermal, Electric

The first one you met are the etheric ones and they can split into two and leave a toxic cloud that can damage you. Using nullwave grenade can disable their ability and a shotgun is deadly against them at close range

RomeoDog

Banned
So i'm in the room where you have to defeat this huge floating phantasm to repair the lift in talos 1.

Its absolutely impossible.. I could use some tips.

So i'm in the room where you have to defeat this huge floating phantasm to repair the lift in talos 1.

Its absolutely impossible.. I could use some tips.

Stun Gun stuns the Technopath also damaging it at the same time. You should deal with the corrupted operators first.

Kazuhira

Isn't it just easier just to throw a random object? It's the only typhon that never caused me trouble unless i'm thinking of a different enemy.

I guess i have to just go back and get more stun ammo because I tried for the past 2 hours and got nowhere :(

There should be a fab plan for stun ammo at the Arboretum (On one of the corpses just on the way to the lobby). Take it and use the fabricator to craft some ammo (As long you have enough materials to craft, of course).

Top Bottom