• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

I loved Dishonored and I love sci-fi... But this just isn't grabbing me. It's got cool level design, but I don't enjoy the combat. The shotgun has barely any range, the pistol is aimed improperly, the upgrade system and recycling gets tedious, and the enemy design is boring and un-fun to fight (especially mimics).

You are about half way there

Pandora, Deep Storage is after Crew Quarters in terms of main story

Oh okay, I personally think after Deep Storage the game goes pretty quick. Especially if you explored all the areas ahead of time. So I was able to just run through the later areas.

I see that Prey is $39.99 at Best Buy now, so I think I'm going to pick it up. Since I have a PS4 Pro, that's a no-brainer, right? Compared to XB1. PC isn't an option for me.

This is easily the most creative game I have played in years. Arcane really went all in here. Like, opening doors by
shooting the bowcaster at a computer
? WHAT?

Level design is among the best I've ever seen. There seems to be some kind of secret in every single room so it's always worth exploring everything.

Oh, and I love it how Arcane goofed me with the materials. Being as OCD as I am I convert almost every item I get. Because of that I never paid attention to my ammo because hey, I'd never run out of materials, right? Well, actually I find myself doing just that right now since I blew almost everything on my neuromods.

So pays attention folks if you want to max out your character. There may not be enough material around for ammo later.

Anyway, 31 hours in now. Don't want this game to end and am already looking forward to my 2nd playthrough. Game of the year for me already.

TheZink

I see that Prey is $39.99 at Best Buy now, so I think I'm going to pick it up. Since I have a PS4 Pro, that's a no-brainer, right? Compared to XB1. PC isn't an option for me.

Apparently there is a stuttering issue on all PS platforms. I hoping they fix it soon because I really want to get it.

CHC

Feel like I'm pretty far in now. My one main issue with the game is the arsenal just kind of.... sucks. Like, the glue gun is awesome and super creative, and the environmental traps and stuff are super cool. But the weapons all just feel weak and kind of unsxcitineg to use so far. There isn't one weapon that really has oomph, even ones that should like the shotgun and the disintegration ray. They just do little damage, plain and simple. I'd much rather have more scarce ammo but weapons that really pack a punch than to have to take down phantoms with like 40 pistol bullets.

Funny enough my favorite weapon is the bolt caster just because of the utility. Love most other aspects of the game though, but overall I just feel like Morgan is too damn limp on combat. I spend all this time to make elaborate traps with recycler grenades and bait and it's all just to wipe out like 30% of the enemies' HP. Shit like that should yield total kills.

bati

There isn't one weapon that really has oomph, even ones that should like the shotgun and the disintegration ray. They just do little damage, plain and simple.

Shotgun is devastating but it's basically a melee weapon, damage falloff is pretty severe. With upgraded firearms and damage upgrades on the shotty you can take down a
Nightmare
on nightmare difficulty with about 8 bullets. Very easy if you use Combat Focus (which you should as a firearms spec anyway). Ray is similar, most of the other baddies go down faster than combat focus wears off. Damage honestly never felt like an issue to me and I played through the game twice on highest difficulty.

JCH!

Feel like I'm pretty far in now. My one main issue with the game is the arsenal just kind of.... sucks. Like, the glue gun is awesome and super creative, and the environmental traps and stuff are super cool. But the weapons all just feel weak and kind of unsxcitineg to use so far. There isn't one weapon that really has oomph, even ones that should like the shotgun and the disintegration ray. They just do little damage, plain and simple. I'd much rather have more scarce ammo but weapons that really pack a punch than to have to take down phantoms with like 40 pistol bullets.

Funny enough my favorite weapon is the bolt caster just because of the utility. Love most other aspects of the game though, but overall I just feel like Morgan is too damn limp on combat. I spend all this time to make elaborate traps with recycler grenades and bait and it's all just to wipe out like 30% of the enemies' HP. Shit like that should yield total kills.

Have you upgraded your weapons and security skills? If anything, I thought weapons (especially the shotgun) were too strong. Late game I was so OP game kinda lost its tension; there is not much to be scared of when you can kill a
Nightmare
in 5 seconds with like half a shotgun mag.

I keep getting distracted from the game and I'm now trying to finish it. I feel like I'm near the end and holy crap it's getting annoying.
Nightmares appearing everywhere even though I have only 1 typhon power (first level morph), infinite military operators, forced backtracking which triggers enemy respawning
.... its like they are trying to make me hate the game even though I've enjoyed it a lot up until now. It's not like its difficult either, I hoarded materials and my weapons/skills are upgraded enough that the enemies aren't actually that much of a threat. But the game went from "this is awesome" to "this is really annoying" really quickly.

What bugs me is that I've been playing stealth up until now. Now the levels are filled with enemies and I have no choice but to shoot my way through... or just run by and lock doors behind me. So much for "play it your way." Kind of disappointing since Arkane did such a good job of truly letting you choose how to play through levels in the Dishonored games.

Yeah the weapons are kind of disappointing.

What bugs me is that I've been playing stealth up until now. Now the levels are filled with enemies and I have no choice but to shoot my way through... or just run by and lock doors behind me. So much for "play it your way." Kind of disappointing since Arkane did such a good job of truly letting you choose how to play through levels in the Dishonored games.
In story-terms it does however make sense that the Typhon-density increases over time though. Doesn't mean that it bugs me a bit as well but I think it would be weird it there weren't more enemies given what's happening on the station.

CHC

Have you upgraded your weapons and security skills? If anything, I thought weapons (especially the shotgun) were too strong. Late game I was so OP game kinda lost its tension; there is not much to be scared of when you can kill a
Nightmare
in 5 seconds with like half a shotgun mag.

I've done some weapon upgrades, mostly just level 1, but I just now opted for the skill that lets you go beyond that.

I guess my problem is that I don't really have a "go to" weapon other than the pistol. I know it's boring but I wish there was just some kind of assault rife type gun or sniper (maybe there is, not 100% sure). I guess I should try fucking with the shotgun more, I'm just never that close up to anything but mimics.

I can definitely understand the difficulty curve you're talking about. The game has certainly gotten easier since the early levels, and I can see it tipping even more in my favor later on.

Kazuhira

Is there any benefit of saving the people that are mind controlled? I'm in the area with 2 telepaths,one in the swimming pool and the other in the cafeteria,it just seems to be a huge waste of disruptor ammo if i want to save them all.
I already did the side quest to save the woman in the arboretum.

CHC

This fight with the Technopath in the grav shafts is going to make me puke blood from utter frustration. Holy fucking shit.

Edit: I DID IT!

Is there any benefit of saving the people that are mind controlled? I'm in the area with 2 telepaths,one in the swimming pool and the other in the cafeteria,it just seems to be a huge waste of disruptor ammo if i want to save them all.
I already did the side quest to save the woman in the arboretum.
Just kill the telepath instead of stunning everyone that is mind controlled.

This fight with the Technopath in the grav shafts is going to make me puke blood from utter frustration. Holy fucking shit.

Looks like you did it, but with those guy use the grenade that prevents typhon abilities, then shotgun it 2 or 3 times. My gun was at full power though.

Also to your previous comment I think the reason that there is no auto rifle and sniper rifle is because this is a research station, so it's kind of unnecessary. I think the guards that were there were only for
the prisoners
and preventing stolen items. Also they did have turrets too.

Nullwave grenade is a huge asset, especially in human only runs

To add to Pandora's point, the security on Talos 1 were poorly equipped because Alex and Morgan were confident the Typhon wouldn't break containment.

Narrator: They did break containment after all

OBias

The Arkane's intention was to place you on a science space station, not a battlefield. This intention drove all of the weapon design in the game.

CHC

Man this level design though. Insane. The GUTS has to be one of the, if not the, most intricate and disorienting areas I've ever been in a game. Been bumbling around here for like 3 hours. The side missions are so plentiful. I'm barely even touching the main story.

This "Josh Dalton" guy sure managed to get himself pretty fucking lost here, didn't he?

Man this level design though. Insane. The GUTS has to be one of the, if not the, most intricate and disorienting areas I've ever been in a game. Been bumbling around here for like 3 hours. The side missions are so plentiful. I'm barely even touching the main story.

This "Josh Dalton" guy sure managed to get himself pretty fucking lost here, didn't he?
The only area of the game I hated so far. Got quite sick after a while and had to stop playing the game. Hate the zero gravity stuff.

The only area of the game I hated so far. Got quite sick after a while and had to stop playing the game. Hate the zero gravity stuff.

At first I thought I'd hate it but man I ended up enjoying it. Though the nuclear bomb thing pissed me off. Even they though became easy with the crossbow.

Jebral

I finally finished this last night. I agree that the game could get a touch tedious toward the end with all the military operators and respawns. 35 hours or so and I got tired of the side quests and just finished the damn thing. Really good game, but just long and content packed enough that it lost some bite by the end, odd as that is to say.

I finally finished this last night. I agree that the game could get a touch tedious toward the end with all the military operators and respawns. 35 hours or so and I got tired of the side quests and just finished the damn thing. Really good game, but just long and content packed enough that it lost some bite by the end, odd as that is to say.

Yeah it got tiring when the military ops came. I just glued everything hacked and went my way. At the last areas I just started running, but those god damn loading screens nearly killed me. So long...

The thing is that most of them explode their heads before i can kill the telepath,that's why i'm asking if it's worth saving them.

At the end they rehash what you've done. So if alot of people died, they'll make note of it. If you invested in typhon powers you can you the mind control one and knock them out. Other than that you can use the stun gun. Think they go down in one shot and there's about 15 or so. Should be fine to waste the ammo as you can always make more unless you don't have alot of resources.

I do feel sorry for console players who have to endure long loading screens.

And the nuclear bomb things are called Cystoids, Pandora. Just so you know 😜

Skulldead

Yeah it lost steam at the end, and the lack of survival element really hurt the experience. The game is really missing in weapon variety too, and you get super human at the end and never feel in danger at all(play on nightmare), can jump and pass thought any stage in 10 second. The game was a 9/10 -> 7/10 for me just because it never stay the quality of the first couple of hours, who were the best SS2 clone i ever played.

Kazuhira

At the end they rehash what you've done. So if alot of people died, they'll make note of it. If you invested in typhon powers you can you the mind control one and knock them out. Other than that you can use the stun gun. Think they go down in one shot and there's about 15 or so. Should be fine to waste the ammo as you can always make more unless you don't have alot of resources.

Ah ok,thanks.

I do feel sorry for console players who have to endure long loading screens.

And the nuclear bomb things are called Cystoids, Pandora. Just so you know 😜

Yeah, was drawing a blank. I really want to go back to Prey even with it's issues on Ps4, but I have to be strong and wait for ng+

As for the loading screens, there have been loads of times when I just leave any do so random chore instead of waiting.

CHC

God... goddammit. I knew that
cook
was up to something, man. He didn't look like his name would be
"Will Mitchell"

daviyoung

Banned
God... goddammit. I knew that
cook
was up to something, man. He didn't look like his name would be
"Will Mitchell"

You pick up a transcribe from the actual one during the mission (I think in the cabin with the trophy) and that shows his face in the top right when you listen to it.

Is there a way to destroy the machines that keep spawning the operators towards the end? I feel like there must be. This shit is just draining my ammo.

Cracklox

So been playing this the last few days and just cleared out (i think) the arboretum after 15 or so hours (on hard). Probably my favorite area so far.
commando'ing my way up to Alexs apartment, without the need to activate the lifts, felt pretty great
Then off I went to the crew quarters and got fucking annihilated by a
nightmare
. Need to work out how best to deal with that. The few goes I had last night didn't work out well at all.

Anyway, games great. It was a bit of a struggle early without any skills and trying to figure out how to best allocate them, but I feel in a pretty good spot, especially now I have
leverage 3 and the super agility one.
Been relying a lot on the environment, and turrets when I can to get stuff killed. I thought I wanted the
typhon
powers, but I think I'll make do without them for now, mostly so
my turrets don't shoot me
. I can already see the potential for repeat play throughs so I'll probably do a run more focused on them later.

I really like how they've constructed the station with a whole crew of actual people, that you can discover the fate of, and then give you a bunch of tools to go about working that out how you see fit, alongside a main story thread, that at least so far, has been pretty interesting. It's a pretty audacious for a AAA title or whatever its considered, and its pretty sad to see it hasn't done so well. At least if the fact that I picked it up for half price a few months after release is anything to go by. I think it definitely has that 'cult hit' potential though, if in 10 years time or so, we're talking about favorite games from this gen

Just block them with a stack of objects in front of them

Your first priority should be dealing with
Kaspar
first
Thanks. Found another solution as well... Just don't destory the operators. When their below 25% health they'll just end up being broken on the ground. Just leave them be and don't give them the final blow and they won't be replaced.

Knew there was a way. :)

Just finished the game.

Overall not only my game of the year so far but legitimately one of the best game I have ever played. Thing is, I never expected this when I started it. This truly is the System Shock 3 I was waiting for all these years.

I did make a few mistakes towards the end though that almost ruined it for me. To be fair, the pace does change quite a bit in the last hours of the game and to make things worse I got a bit impatient. But even then, like with all the rest of the game, it's all about figuring out how to tackle things best. Once I did, even the sections with the operators didn't bother me.

Loved the story too. Ending was quite something and the choices you are confronted with are very cool and not back and white like in many other games.

Order the official quide yesterday and will attempt and thorough playthrough once I have it. Did miss a few quests after all. Can't wait.

Also, the game has amazing achievements. Read all Emails? Find all transcribes? Find all crew member? Complete one playthrough with only human and one with typhon abilities? This is why I love the whole system. :)

JCH!

I've done some weapon upgrades, mostly just level 1, but I just now opted for the skill that lets you go beyond that.

I guess my problem is that I don't really have a "go to" weapon other than the pistol. I know it's boring but I wish there was just some kind of assault rife type gun or sniper (maybe there is, not 100% sure). I guess I should try fucking with the shotgun more, I'm just never that close up to anything but mimics.

I can definitely understand the difficulty curve you're talking about. The game has certainly gotten easier since the early levels, and I can see it tipping even more in my favor later on.

The pistol is your sniper rifle. Once you fully upgrade it or even better, the
Golden Pistol
and pair it with your Psychoscope's zoom you can destroy everything from huge distances fairly accurately.

As for go to weapons, nothing beats the Shotgun. Stun/Gloo + shotgun absolutely destroys everything in every difficulty. I don't think I've ever used the Q-Beam, it's just not necessary.

darklin0

Banned
I decided to do a pure human mod run for my first play through.

Running up to every Typhon and unloading my shotgun is extremely satisfying.

hollerphonix

Neo Member
So I figured I'd come get some impressions.
Was looking at the ps4 version since it's on sale atm. I've seen some "intersting" impressions let's say
How bad is this on ps4 (base not pro)?
What all can I expect for how it runs etc?
I generally like the concept i like sci do horror and arkane so those are certainly selling points but I'm not in a hurry to bust out cash on a bad gaming experience either.

Was looking at the ps4 version since it's on sale atm. I've seen some "intersting" impressions let's say
I generally like the concept i like sci do horror and arkane so those are certainly selling points but I'm not in a hurry to bust out cash on a bad gaming experience either.

First things first, ps4 is worst when compared to xbone and pc. So if you have an option, I'd skip ps4 as it's the least stable. I've played through the game in patch 1.02 which most of the issues started. The lag and drifting has been fixed. However, the games framerate has become unstable because of their fixes. The Powerplant screws up for everyone for some reason. So you can expect a dive then, it's pretty late game and a short area. In my play time, I've only had 2 instances where the framerate crashed. It was short, but it was very noticeable.
Understand if you are very sensitive to framerate, you will notice more issues than I did. Luckily, since framerate rarely bothers me, I didn't mind/notice any of the issues.

Cracklox

Doing my first playthrough on ps4 atm. ^ What the poster above said, but I can tolerate performance issues better then some, and I also haven't got to the area in question that's mentioned yet. It's certainly not the most graphically impressive game around, before you take into account the performance issues, which makes it even weirder too.

Another thing to mention re ps4 to pc is load times between areas. PC is apparently a lot better. On ps4 they can go upwards of a minute. Dying and reloading isn't too bad though.

Other then that though the games great, and I'm enjoying it the more and more the further I go. I've only played this and Horizon from this year, and I'm enjoying this far more then Horizon. Which I didn't hate btw, it was more a case of liking and not loving

soultron

Banned
Is there a way to reset skill points? Or fast travel?

Light spoilers:

About skill points:
Aside from finding them in the environment, you can actually fabricate them using in-game resources. There's no way to re-roll/re-spec, however. I never had trouble finding/making them. There's several really great quests built around the narrative behind the skill points and some interesting twists if you try to consume or make too many of them.

About fast travel:
You gain control of an elevator that shuttles you quickly between parts of the station. You can also find one of many airlocks to spacewalk to other parts of the station as well. The airlock options are available most of the time, even if you've not already unlocked the elevator. There is no fast travel, however. The station is pretty large but not having fast travel wasn't a huge negative, IMO, since you'll memorize the station pretty fast and know the best routes you can use to get around really quickly.

Top Bottom