• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

This game is $108.14 (after conversion) on steam in Australia and only $48.39 on CDkeys

That's $60 difference. Steam still selling in USD here is completely ridiculous

Instro

Spent some time tonight, just got to the "video file"
of Morgan talking to himself. Total Recall? lol
. Great stuff so far, really intense, very atmospheric. I'm not sure if it was intended but I used the Gloo gun to get a 3rd weapon early prior to leaving the starting area. Sequence break yo.

Karak

Is anyone else sliding while standing still? I dont think its a controller issue...

PS4?
I DID have that and switched controllers and it went away. Thought it was the controller

Spent some time tonight, just got to the "video file"
of Morgan talking to himself. Total Recall? lol
. Great stuff so far, really intense, very atmospheric. I'm not sure if it was intended but I used the Gloo gun to get a 3rd weapon early prior to leaving the starting area. Sequence break yo.

There are a large number of situations like this. For example
many quests can be completed different ways you wouldn't even think of once you get specific things/abilities in the game.

As folks know the game has a nerf gun and I can just say that its uses are far in excess of the samples they give in the hint screens

Kard8p3

Cute little easter egg/lore thingy under spoil bars, might have been brought up already, but it's in the first few minutes of the game

When you wake up in the beginning of the game, one of the books that you can read an excerpt from was written by a P. Sue Do.

Kadin

Only 2 hours in and I'm already stuck. This is gonna be a tough game for me to get through. I've ran around everywhere trying to find a way into a room with no luck. I'm not ready to ask for help yet but I hate when stuff like this brings my progress to a halt...

Quick question though about a terminal I ran into:
In the Trauma area, there's a terminal that has a ton of patients listed on it and every time you click on one, it creates a unique Objective. Any idea what we're supposed to do here? Please tell me it's not wanting me to hunt down each of those people cause that's a ton of them.

This game is $108.14 (after conversion) on steam in Australia and only $48.39 on CDkeys

That's $60 difference. Steam still selling in USD here is completely ridiculous

It's more than that.

Here's my invoice.

kVtc.png

bosseye

Finished the demo last night and left it a lot more impressed than I thought I would be. I got more or less used to the input lag on ps4 and got more into the world, so if that's fixed on full release then that's ideal.

One thing I liked is the interactivity scattered about. So for example I was in the trauma centre,
got the quarantine room code off the computer, went in there and inside is a scrawled surname and a code, the surname corresponds with one of the doctors names but his office is locked and needs a keycard - so I look about and see nothing, then I wonder where the doctor is, is he dead? In the lobby I find another terminal where you can apparently track/locate every member of staff, click on the guy who I need and his body is apparently somewhere waaaaaay above me. Can't get there at the moment and maybe he won't have his keyword on him, but I like the sense that I can try.

Also of course I smashed his window but I'm too big to get in through the hole, but I've seen the mimic videos so presumably I could return here as a toilet roll
or something.

Will pick this up soon I hope.

bosseye

Only 2 hours in and I'm already stuck. This is gonna be a tough game for me to get through. I've ran around everywhere trying to find a way into a room with no luck. I'm not ready to ask for help yet but I hate when stuff like this grinds my progress to a halt...

Quick question though about a terminal I ran into:
In the Trauma area, there's a terminal that has a ton of patients listed on it and every time you click on one, it creates a unique Objective. Any idea what we're supposed to do here? Please tell me it's not wanting me to hunt down each of those people cause that's a ton of them.

That's the one I mentioned above, I assumed you could use it to track down specific people who might have things you need.

So, looks like the game is a winner at this point. After all the concerns about performance on pc and the actual gameplay, it looks like game is garnering mostly positive impressions/reviews. I know it's still early (214 reviews on Steam), but a whopping 96% of these reviews are positive at this point.

Elixist

The best part is
when you get to see how it worked when you press the buttons in the elevator or play with the sim settings. Makes the mindfuck seem even more impressive by showing you behind the curations

true .
smashing thru the aquarium as well i was like

osDP6pc.gif

Kadin

That's the one I mentioned above, I assumed you could use it to track down specific people who might have things you need.
Ah, okay that makes more sense. There's so much to read and I'm doing my best to take it all in but I think I'm missing stuff like this or their importance. Thanks.

So, looks like the game is a winner at this point. After all the concerns about performance on pc and the actual gameplay, it looks like game is garnering mostly positive impressions/reviews. I know it's still early (214 reviews on Steam), but a whopping 96% of these reviews are positive at this point.

Maybe they're just happy the game runs great ;).

Roussow

Put about 5 hours in, just came out of the first space walk sequence, tremendous stuff.
I absoloutly love that every human, every corpse, is an accounted for character in this world, there seems to be a incentive to catalogue every person in the station.

I adore the Mimic encounters, if you're attemtive you totally have the advantage, you'll often walk into a room and for the briefest moments notice them morph, you can totally turn the tables and have the advantage if you're playing smart -- plus, I'm still using te GLOO gun and wrench combo on larger enemies, even with a pistol and shotgun, I'm glad those weapons haven't been replaced by just straight up better gear, everything has a purpose.

World building has been stellar, too. The emails revealing more and more about why the fuck I built a toy crossbow, and its actual utility have been a joy.

Karak

Posted my review. Xbox version beat, ps4 about 4 hours testing, PC about 3.(Both to check for some later performance

Easily the likes of System Shock or Bioshock and to me personally it skews closer to System Shock 2. It is excellent, it is deep, and its one of the most profoundly interesting narrative threads within a game I can remember. The number of hidden things or just odd cioncidences just in the first 8 hours is mind blowing and I am sure some folks won't notice most, but if you want whats up...and just pay attention...holy shit.

It is not perfect and has some issues with sound and a couple with things I wasn't in love with. But my god it hit a note with me personally.
Doesn't mean it will with you.

Moff

I'm almost an hour in. This game seems fucking awesome so far, clearly inspired by Half-Life in the opening and I'm loving every minute of it.
Should I be able to figure out what the code is on the whiteboard? And how do you come across sidequests?
You will later find
a video shot in that room and you will see the code.
Or you can hack it.

I ask again about another puzzle. Has anyone found the
custom made cup to open the scale controlled secret safe
in mechanics?

Also, anyone else thought alex looks like an asian Gabe Newell?

Kadin

Okay I don't know what I'm missing so I'm gonna ask for some help for within the first couple hours.

I need to access the Psychotronics Employee room to move forward and I thought I got the key card in the Trauma center but I only have 3 total. Is there a way to get into this door besides having the key card? I've ran around this area so many times trying to figure out what I'm missing and I'm just spinning my wheels here.

Karak

Okay I don't know what I'm missing so I'm gonna ask for some help for within the first couple hours.

I need to access the Psychotronics Employee room to move forward and I thought I got the key card in the Trauma center but I only have 3 total. Is there a way to get into this door besides having the key card? I've ran around this area so many times trying to figure out what I'm missing and I'm just spinning my wheels here.

you mean the one that fives you the verbal warning your missing something as you walk up to it?

HereticJ

This game is really grabbing me. My first time playing and I played for over 3 hours straight. I've been reading everything available and searching every room thoroughly.

And I don't normally ever do that, even in Deus Ex games. I also rarely play games for that long in one session, let alone on my first time playing. Just an amazing experience.

Posted my review. Xbox version beat, ps4 about 4 hours testing, PC about 3.(Both to check for some later performance

Easily the likes of System Shock or Bioshock and to me personally it skews closer to System Shock 2. It is excellent, it is deep, and its one of the most profoundly interesting narrative threads within a game I can remember. The number of hidden things or just odd cioncidences just in the first 8 hours is mind blowing and I am sure some folks won't notice most, but if you want whats up...and just pay attention...holy shit.

It is not perfect and has some issues with sound and a couple with things I wasn't in love with. But my god it hit a note with me personally.

Nice comments and great to hear. I never played System Shock 2, so have no frame of reference to compare this to. But with the work they've done on Dishonored, I'm not really all that surprised that this looks like it might turn into something special as well.

nOoblet16

That's less of a contradiction and more of what happens when you have systemic and non-linear game design paired with linear storytelling and mission design required to beat the game. All of them suffer from this imo, but I think it's easier to hide it in Deus Ex and Dishonored, since those are typically solitary levels instead of interconnected, persistent areas (the hubs being exceptions).
Mankind Divided has majority of its gameplay done in the hub, which means everything...every single area/room/house is accessible from the get go and there are several ways to reach it.

The thing is you can have linear level design but still not have "go find a keycard" gameplay. You can gate it through abilities and equipments like Metroid but at the same time allow a player to go to that location if they wish to experiment with the level design. The game wouldn't particularly lose anything if it allowed you to access later areas early on because even if you get there you won't "find" the stuff that progresses the story which could be an item left by an NPC or a new development/event that changes the things around and brings up those story events. Like on of the Deus Ex Mankind Divided missions is in the theatre which you can go to early on but you won't have any story progression because the event required for that progression (i.e. Dvali being there) does not happen until the game progresses there linearly.

ThankeeSai

Early weapon spoilers - Anyone else finding that ammo is vanishing from the
silenced pistol?
Unless I'm missing something, I picked up a load of ammo last night (had around 25 rounds or so), came to use the weapon later and had no rounds in it.

Definitely hadn't used it, so no idea where the ammo went.

Hit a little bit of a difficulty spike about 8 hours in. Hopefully Im over the worst moment. Also seems like you can really screw yourself if you dont manage your weapons and ammo safetly.

Freeman76

I wasnt even looking at my radar for this game, watched that review and it looks like a must have for me! I thought this was a reboot of the 'other' Prey.

Thanks, good review man!

that_dude_guy

Neo Member
in mechanics?

In the
same room where you view the video showing the scale-controlled safe, facing the looking glass terminal, turn 90 degrees to the right and enter the offshoot workshop area. The cup/thermos is sitting on top of a workbench and automatically gets placed on top of the scale when you approach it while carrying. You get some nice neuromod goodies :)

Karak

Hit a little bit of a difficulty spike about 8 hours in. Hopefully Im over the worst moment. Also seems like you can really screw yourself if you dont manage your weapons and ammo safetly.

I talked about that in the review. Surprising isn't it. It goes away soon though.

You will later find
a video shot in that room and you will see the code.
Or you can hack it.

in mechanics?

Also, anyone else thought alex looks like an asian Gabe Newell?
in the same room opposite side on the bench around the corner. Grab it and just walk it over the the scale it opens the door to the right.

dex3108

It is nice to hear that Prey ended up being great game. Bethesda is absolute king of story driven FPS games currently.

Moff

In the
same room where you view the video showing the scale-controlled safe, facing the looking glass terminal, turn 90 degrees to the right and enter the offshoot workshop area. The cup/thermos is sitting on top of a workbench and automatically gets placed on top of the scale when you approach it while carrying. You get some nice neuromod goodies :)
Thanks mate, I went through there for an hour but I might have destroyed it.

shiba5

As good/better than Horizon? I will be so happy to have another stellar story.
I put in around 4 hours last night on PS4 so didn't get much of the story yet because I spent it making Gloo stairs and poking into every corner. I'm really impressed with the game so far.

Karak

As good/better than Horizon? I will be so happy to have another stellar story.
I put in around 4 hours last night on PS4 so didn't get much of the story yet because I spent it making Gloo stairs and poking into every corner. I'm really impressed with the game so far.

While a different game type entirely in my book I would say equal

Jb

So glad to see first impressions are positive. It sounds like this might also be the first Arkane game with a genuinely compelling narrative.

danowat

Banned
While a different game type entirely in my book I would say equal

It the demo a fair representation of the game?, the demo left me underwhelmed, so was a little surprised at the positive reception, I'd imagine it's because the narrative develops over time?

shiba5

It the demo a fair representation of the game?, the demo left me underwhelmed, so was a little surprised at the positive reception, I'd imagine it's because the narrative develops over time?

I was really iffy about the demo, but I'm loving the actual game. They fixed the music and the atmosphere is much heavier. More paths are opened up than in the demo too.

Top Bottom