• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

Always impressed by visual illusions like this.

prey_visual_illusion_by_digi_matrix-db866pk.gif

HDM

Is anyone else sliding while standing still? I dont think its a controller issue...

Yep. (Edit : on PS4)

I had to change with an other controller and it's ok.
They totally delete the dead zone on both stick. We can't ajust the dead zone in the option, so if your controller is a little sensitive, the character or the camera slowly move even if you don't touch anything.

Can't they just let us ajust the dead zone in the options ? Jesus.

Truant

Always impressed by visual illusions like this.

prey_visual_illusion_by_digi_matrix-db866pk.gif

Did you spot the hidden quest there?

The doctor has an email about ordering a mug that weights exactly 170 grams.If you watch the second video, and move to the other screen, you can see him walk over to the wall and place something on a scale, that again opens a secret door. I can't for the life of me find the thermos he's using. Tried every mug, even tried going back to the zero area where his body is to find it.

mishakoz

So im going to bed now, here are my thoughts

-i strongly dislike combat in the first part of this game. It's just not fun currently, simply hitting enemies can be frustrating.
-love the vibes of the game. I feel like the intro segment was once longer and then cut down because it feels like everything gets started rather quick.
-using computers is also difficult.
-inventory management :(
-like the sidebits and emails, even if there are too many.
-im not a fun of all the skill barriers, especially at the outset in the first area. The game is telegraphing "you will be back here" or maybe it's just optional, but it feels like I will be back in this area.

I'm enjoying myself, but I hope the combat gets more fun, soon.

Khoryos

The doctor has an email about ordering a mug that weights exactly 170 grams.If you watch the second video, and move to the other screen, you can see him walk over to the wall and place something on a scale, that again opens a secret door. I can't for the life of me find the thermos he's using. Tried every mug, even tried going back to the zero area where his body is to find it.

If you want to know where it is:

It's in that room, in the corner under the stairs. Looks like a red cocktail shaker more than a mug, and it has a nameplate when you look at it.

The demo left me kind of underwhelmed - it felt like it was trying really hard to be a new Shock game but wasn't quite getting it.

I don't know why, but the full version hits every note just right and I'm having a fucking blast playing it.

Things Mimics have tricked me with:

Coffee Cups
Chairs
Health and Ammo packs
Desk Lamps and Room lamps
Random debris
Pots
Pans
A shrubbery.

Karak

Coffee Cups
Chairs
Health and Ammo packs
Random debris
Pots
Pans
A shrubbery.

I had a 3 mimic fight and they all ran to ends of my screen, one leaped over me and the others went right and left...I was in a fucking office area:( lol it was time to fuck up the crockery

I had a 3 mimic fight and they all ran to ends of my screen, one leaped over me and the others went right and left...I was in a fucking office area:( lol it was time to fuck up the crockery

My favorite thing is the sense of paranoia and dread when it comes to seeing more than one coffee cup.

The AI is pretty impressive, combat encounters can be extended or even disappear for minutes at a time only to reappear when you least expect it.

valkyre

Does the final release of the game feature the way too irritating "DA DUMMM!!!" sound each and every damn time you spot an enemy, be it a pleb or a decent one? Like in the demo i mean.

I find it very cheap to use shit like that to jump scare me and extremely annoying (yes to the point of not buying the game) after 3-4 times. I honestly cannot play a 20 hour game hearing this crap every time an enemy appears...

danowat

Banned
The demo left me kind of underwhelmed - it felt like it was trying really hard to be a new Shock game but wasn't quite getting it.

I don't know why, but the full version hits every note just right and I'm having a fucking blast playing it.

I wonder if this is going to be a common theme.........almost seems like a different game from the demo.

Shari

Is the jumpscare sound tied to the music in the game or to the sound effects?

I'm going to bring that shit down even if other audio effects suffer from it, I'm already being surprised by the fact that a fucking cup of coffee is turning into a shapeless alien that does 20hp every time it touches me plus the screen distortion, it's enough, I get the creepy atmosphere and I'm ALREADY on my toes ffs.

@Karak thanks for the review, great stuff.

Does the final release of the game feature the way too irritating "DA DUMMM!!!" sound each and every damn time you spot an enemy, be it a pleb or a decent one? Like in the demo i mean.

I find it very cheap to use shit like that to jump scare me and extremely annoying (yes to the point of not buying the game) after 3-4 times. I honestly cannot play a 20 hour game hearing this crap every time an enemy appears...

Yes, I did not play the demo but that shitty sound effect it's there and it's also ruining my experience.

Khoryos

Coffee Cups
Chairs
Health and Ammo packs
Random debris
Pots
Pans
A shrubbery.

At one point, a weapon I found in the demo was actually a mimic, and the weapon was a few feet over. That shit me RIGHT up!

shiba5

Coffee Cups
Chairs
Health and Ammo packs
Random debris
Pots
Pans
A shrubbery.

I went into a room that had 5 stools in it. Haha, an odd number so I smacked all of them. The little bastard was in a book on the floor and it waited until I was done futility playing with the chairs before launching itself at my face.
Game got me good.

aravuus

Man, these guys hit hard even on easy and normal. Just found the shotgun though. Time to wreck mimics!

It does, unfortunately. I'm fine with an audio cue, otherwise it's possible you'd miss a nearby mimic, but it's waay too loud. Just an unnecessary jump scare.

Dmax3901

How the hell can people have finished this already and let it sit long enough to write a well thought out review? Super impressive.

valkyre

Yes, I did not play the demo but that shitty sound effect it's there and it's also ruining my experience.

Well fuck this... what were they thinking really?? You dont have to use stupid jumpscare sound effects to have me immersed in a creepy environment... this looks like a great game but they decided to use one of the most annoying and cheap tricks that exists in horror genre.

Absolute stupidity.

Truant

I wonder if this is going to be a common theme.........almost seems like a different game from the demo.

Could be because a lot of us are playing on PC. The combat and movement feels very different at 60 fps. The PS4 demo was pretty bad.

Some impressions. I'm around 6 hours in, just entered Psychotropics.

- You encounter different enemy types pretty quickly after the demo area, and they hit very hard. I'm playing on Normal, and most encounters that I can't plan usually halves my health or worse.
- The game feels huge, and I constantly see stuff I could go off and explore when doing quests. I just got an "all access" keycard, meaning I can pretty much access all major areas right now. Feels like the game opened up quite a bit.
- Only found one side quest so far (The Missing Body from trauma center) - Any more quests I missed in the early areas?
- Spacewalk sections are terrifying (I have space/cosmic phobia)
- Music is fantastic, and the mixing/sequencing is vastly improved from the demo. The music lasts as long as the encounter does, sometimes even shorter depending on the situation. It feels a lot tighter.
- Story is decent so far, writing is decent to excellent. Some of the cooking books are very well written, it's kinda weird.

At one point, a weapon I found in the demo was actually a mimic, and the weapon was a few feet over. That shit me RIGHT up!

Yeah that happened for me when I was exploring and found a
pistol, but it was a mimic and the real pistol was on the other side of the corpse like two feet away.

These mimics....damn!

It's like looking for the small spider which is hiding under the bed or in the book case. You know it's there but you can't see it, lol.

SomTervo

I was half joking when I was talking to my friend about this game, but I secretly hope the entire spaceship turns out to be a gigantic mimic. That would be hilarious

I bet you're right about this.

I bet it'll be like that time I showed my friend the Usual Suspects expecting to impress him with the ending and then, one minute before it happened, he made a joke that was the exact twist... then slowly realised he was right

shiba5

Man, these guys hit hard even on easy and normal. Just found the shotgun though. Time to wreck mimics!

It does, unfortunately. I'm fine with an audio cue, otherwise it's possible you'd miss a nearby mimic, but it's waay too loud. Just an unnecessary jump scare.

I barely notice the sound effect. I wonder if it's because I was playing with headphones? The effects in the demo were super loud and obnoxious over my TV speakers, but everything is normal volume over my headphones. I didn't need to adjust anything.

SomTervo

So im going to bed now, here are my thoughts

-i strongly dislike combat in the first part of this game. It's just not fun currently, simply hitting enemies can be frustrating.
-love the vibes of the game. I feel like the intro segment was once longer and then cut down because it feels like everything gets started rather quick.
-using computers is also difficult.
-inventory management :(
-like the sidebits and emails, even if there are too many.
-im not a fun of all the skill barriers, especially at the outset in the first area. The game is telegraphing "you will be back here" or maybe it's just optional, but it feels like I will be back in this area.

I'm enjoying myself, but I hope the combat gets more fun, soon.

What platform? A couple of these issues sound console related.

Just bought it , the demo sold me, odd because none of the stage show videos / promo vids looked like anything I would be interested in.

Combined with the no early reviews it felt like this game was badly marketed .

Thankfully I loved the demo and seems like the full game fixes the little niggling things I hated.

Can't wait to explore every detail of the ship, sounds like there are so many secrets to find

Denzar

Question has probably been asked ad nauseam but how's the PC performance?

EDIT: NVM, there's a PC performance thread!

Moff

I did the same thing.
I either destroyed or recycled it.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Is this a game you need a guide for? Like that has well-hidden weapons and items and secrets?

Or is it a game where if you like to explore then you'll be able to find all that stuff?

drotahorror

Are you supposed to get powers early on? I'm like, 4 hours into it and it mentioned 'deadly combos' and it's telling me to use powers. I don't have shit. I have weapons and my neuro upgrades which are not powers.

mishakoz

Is this a game you need a guide for? Like that has well-hidden weapons and items and secrets?

Or is it a game where if you like to explore then you'll be able to find all that stuff?

Hard to say. I know I'm missing stuff, but I'm honestly not sure if I'll find it later or if the solution is something I already missed. The first area has a plethora of locked doors that require keycards and passcodes, and debris blocking the way... It can be overwhelming to keep track of it all.

Someone asked earlier if doing a no alien powers run was doable. I'm doing that and so far I'd say yes. It has its moments of course, with a how the hell am I going to do this, but overall very possible.

I talked about that in the review. Surprising isn't it.

Like specifically...
you go to the area to collect voice samples for a door and boom, a huge freaking enemy comes at you with almost no warning.. I had little ammo and health. I tried running. Big mistake and then all the other enemies and suicidal folk came after me. Holy crap. I had to leave, go scrounge for ammo and come back to fight that thing head on. I'm still in that area but now not running through it like a chicken with it's head cut off.

Sevenfold

^Dev said possible but really challenging. Have fun :D

PC performance is really good for most.

After seeing those 5 minute load screens on Youtube I was panicking a bit but the longest one I've had is 10 seconds!!!

Only a handful of hours in but the game seems stuffed with secrets. Loving it so far.

Kazuhira

So,i asked this a few pages earlier but what do you think are the strong and weak points of the game so far? Like good level design,combat etc?

Top Bottom