• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

So,i asked this a few pages earlier but what do you think are the strong and weak points of the game so far? Like good level design,combat etc?

Strong level design, exploration, story and atmosphere along with music and sound really adding to the vibe. With a heavy emphasising of playing and progression how you want in your skills and outside the box thinking.

Weak combat early on along with a sense of controller based input feeling maybe just a bit off. Also the sound mix feels unbalanced? With voice coming in quite and music coming in louder the the rest(unless this is just my audio set up for some reason)

This aside. I'm absolutely hooked on this till I finish it.

I hated the demo. but i'm still kind of interested to see if i'm supposed to give it a second chance.

Did they fix the music from the demo? you know the way too loud tension filled suspense music.

nOoblet16

The fabricators are so spread apart in this game, also often when you return to an area after finishing an objective somewhere else that area is full of new more powerful enemies. I sort of find it annoying because when I finish a new area I want to go back and fabricate things but because I don't have any ammo I can't really fight anything.

I'm now in an area I can't escape out of because I got locked in when I went in, and there are high level enemies in here and I have 5 shotgun shells, 5 pistol bullets and 0 Gloo canisters. The moment I entered this new area there was a recycler but yet again..no fabricator.

drotahorror

Save save save. Needed a keycard off a body that kept disappearing everytime I try to loot it. Luckily I was quick enough and looted it. The body kept disappearing though everytime I got close to it.

Chumley

Banned
Strong level design, exploration, story and atmosphere along with music and sound really adding to the vibe. With a heavy emphasising of playing and progression how you want in your skills and outside the box thinking.

Weak combat early on along with a sense of controller based input feeling maybe just a bit off. Also the sound mix feels unbalanced? With voice coming in quite and music coming in louder the the rest(unless this is just my audio set up for some reason)

This aside. I'm absolutely hooked on this till I finish it.

The sound seems weird to me too. Maybe they'll put out some fixes in the first patch.

Amherst_Wind

Neo Member
Yep. (Edit : on PS4)

I had to change with an other controller and it's ok.
They totally delete the dead zone on both stick. We can't ajust the dead zone in the option, so if your controller is a little sensitive, the character or the camera slowly move even if you don't touch anything.

Can't they just let us ajust the dead zone in the options ? Jesus.

Having exactly the same issue, this game has absolutely zero deadzone on the sticks, even the slightest touch starts you moving, it's very frustrating, was this their attempt to eliminate the 'input lag' people are complaining about? because I had no problem with the deadzones in the demo.

Skulldead

I hated the demo. but i'm still kind of interested to see if i'm supposed to give it a second chance.

Did they fix the music from the demo? you know the way too loud tension filled suspense music.

Hated the demo too the first time, took me 3 tries, then it totally click, i don't know why...

LowRoller

The game keeps on crashing on me. It's crashed four times so far in the opening 10 minutes. Tried to change graphic settings but it still crashes. Thank god for steam refunds. Ordering the ps4 version from amazon

Gothos

The fabricators are so spread apart in this game, also often when you return to an area after finishing an objective somewhere else that area is full of new more powerful enemies. I sort of find it annoying because when I finish a new area I want to go back and fabricate things but because I don't have any ammo I can't really fight anything.

I'm now in an area I can't escape out of because I got locked in when I went in, and there are high level enemies in here and I have 5 shotgun shells, 5 pistol bullets and 0 Gloo canisters. The moment I entered this new area there was a recycler but yet again..no fabricator.

Yea, respawning enemies are a bit annoying...

Hmm. After clearing the lobby, went back to the first area to finish exploring everything.
Clear feel that i shouldn't be here right now after i saw what those enemies did to the turrets >__>

Quick question though about a terminal I ran into:
In the Trauma area, there's a terminal that has a ton of patients listed on it and every time you click on one, it creates a unique Objective. Any idea what we're supposed to do here? Please tell me it's not wanting me to hunt down each of those people cause that's a ton of them.

no reason to go after anyone that isn't alive, unless youve a reason for it, so no.

Do like how everybody in there that has an ankle bracelet can be, apparently, tracked and found in the station.

Khoryos

I'm ready to make a guess at the ending, based on what I've seen so far:

The only way to save Earth from the Typhon is to make sure they never invade in the first place - so you travel back in time, and kill Kennedy to stall out the space program.

(I'm mostly joking, but it really could happen)

aravuus

Goddamn, I like the Recycler Charge. Gonna need a lot more of these.

I wonder if dropping junk on the ground and dismantling them with the charge yields as much materials as dismantling them with the machine would.

noomi

For the PC version..... I only wish that while using computer panels in the game we could simple click with the left mouse button instead of having to press the use key :(

It feel so unnatural the current way.

ISee

Is it like system shock 2 or more like Bioshock? Ie slower paced survival or more actiony?

You have to fight of several enemies at once on multiple occasions. Still gameplay wise this is much closer to system shock 2 than bioshock. Exploration and level design is extremely good in Prey. You also have to carefully plan for battles and manage your supplies. By all means Prey isn't an easy game, run and gun won't work for long.

Man, this game becomes really fucking good once you start unlocking powers. Using the
mimic ability to become a turret and mow down aliens
is incredibly gratifying.

For the PC version..... I only wish that while using computer panels in the game we could simple click with the left mouse button instead of having to press the use key :(

It feel so unnatural the current way.
Press Z (I think?) to examine the terminal and you can interact with left clicks.

Ennosuke

I bought the game without playing the demo. From what I am reading here, this is exactly the game I have been looking for. We did not have a game like this in the last years. Excited to play it later.

noomi

Man, this game becomes really fucking good once you start unlocking powers. Using the
mimic ability to become a turret and mow down aliens
is incredibly gratifying.

Press Z (I think?) to examine the terminal and you can interact with left clicks.

For reals? YES thank you!

Mub!

Afaik enemies dont repopulate until you complete a major objective

Tovarisc

Skilltree is actually well made when you feel like you are missing out on good stuff when you are deciding what to pick as next skill(s). Too often in games like this there is very obvious path to power and optimal skill picking, but here they are spread out so well.

nOoblet16

Afaik enemies dont repopulate until you complete a major objective
That's what I said in my post.
Once you finish a major objective you are low on resources and have to stock up so you would want to get to a fabricator and use all the ingredients you collected while doing the prior objective but the game throws enemies at you and more powerful ones at that and you have to fight when you are already low on resources.

I went back to the lobby and saw several high level enemies including nightmare and I didn't even have ammo for gloo canon..lol. The lobby fabricator is the only one I can recall atm because it's the easiest one to remember and fastest to get to, the others are in areas that would require me to take massive detours...plus I can't remember their exact location (I know I can look at the map).

Every major area should have atleast one fabricator but there are several in this game with none.

nOoblet16

I really wish there was a way to turn off that vignetting and colour saturation crap that happens when you engage an enemy. It makes it really hard to see shit when everything becomes saturated, dark and there's heavy vignetting on top.

finlaybob

Neo Member
Whelp, I made an error in judgement.

GjHCsFl.png

I went to the
trauma centre(?) and there was a "???" which was basically a phantom on fire, which I couldn't gloo (it would burst out) and was shooting what seemed at the time fire bombs at me, I used all my 30 9mm bullets on it's head and had to whack it with the wrench 3 or 4 times to kill it (running away in between) also no shotty yet. My hands were drenched in sweat. I feckin love this game!

Also: Is there any pros/cons to killing the quarantined guy in the locked room?

luulubuu

It's a great tagline, well done! Made even better with The Flash's image.

Thanks a lot! Loved that image (˶^◡^˶)

Loving the game so far, maybe is too intense for my range of current playtime, I think I will put it on pause for a while

aravuus

Oh goddamn, I loved the little easter egg/puzzle in
Calvin's workshop
regarding
his coffee mug.

Really hope the game has a lot more of this stuff.

Top Bottom