• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

I'll be picking up my XBO copy with steel book case today. Between installation and software updates, I'll probably get to play the actual game on Monday.
My XBO has been neglected terribly

Other than the first trailer and Karack's review, I'm going in blind. Ought to be fun.

Early-ish side character spoilers:
That one convict dude you find trapped in an experiment chamber asking you to let him out, was he voiced by Walton Goggins? I know Bethesda likes their random assortments of celebrities in their voice casts, and it really sounded a lot like Boyd from Justified.

I played a lot of great games this year, but this is easily in my top 5 so far

I havent played enough SS2 to make a good comparision, but I think this feels even more open and freeform than other immersive sim revivals like Deus Ex HR/MD. Deus Ex lets you choose between action, stealth, etc. but at least in the new ones, I always felt those options were both kind of segmented (ie needing to choose loud/quiet, close/ranged at the start) and a tad meaningless because you could so easily switch between aggressive and stealthy if you wanted. You never really had to commit

In Prey, you have to commit. Your choices matter, not merely because it's going to dictate how you can approach enemies and obstacles but because the world itself will react. Risk and reward, consequences, make your choices matter and it's all systemic and dynamic

The game's design gives you the freedom to commit how you want, and the tools to experiment and adapt. You don't feel railroaded, but rather mold your style through exploration, research, upgrades, and so on. It feels natural, and the gameplay encourages planning and thinking of how to use your toolset and the environment to even the odds.

I was worried about the enemies from trailers and footage. They seemed boring and too visually dull. But Arkansas made the Typhon a worthy foe. They feel truly alien, in their design and movement, and they're ruthless. Much like Bioshock's Big Daddy fights, if you don't prepare, you will die.

Acorn

I played a lot of great games this year, but this is easily in my top 5 so far

I havent played enough SS2 to make a good comparision, but I think this feels even more open and freeform than other immersive sim revivals like Deus Ex HR/MD. Deus Ex lets you choose between action, stealth, etc. but at least in the new ones, I always felt those options were both kind of segmented (ie needing to choose loud/quiet, close/ranged at the start) and a tad meaningless because you could so easily switch between aggressive and stealthy if you wanted. You never really had to commit

In Prey, you have to commit. Your choices matter, not merely because it's going to dictate how you can approach enemies and obstacles but because the world itself will react. Risk and reward, consequences, make your choices matter and it's all systemic and dynamic

In term, the game's design gives you the freedom to commit how you want, and the tools to experiment and adapt. You don't feel railroaded, but rather mold your style through exploration, research, upgrades, and so on. It feels natural, and the gameplay encourages planning and thinking of how to use your toolset and the environment to even the odds.

I was worried about the enemies from trailers and footage. They seemed boring and too visually dull. But Arkansas made the Typhon a worthy foe. They feel truly alien, in their design and movement, and they're ruthless. Much like Bioshock's Big Daddy fights, if you don't prepare, you will die.
This post is making my download speed go slower :(

Pygrus

Just got to the exterior and the feeling of dread floating out in space is great.

The soundtrack really makes the game. Without I don't think the game would be as good.

The game had just been so much fun so far.

shiba5

Early-ish side character spoilers:
That one convict dude you find trapped in an experiment chamber asking you to let him out, was he voiced by Walton Goggins? I know Bethesda likes their random assortments of celebrities in their voice casts, and it really sounded a lot like Boyd from Justified.

It's him.

Anung

Un Rama
In a year filled with Game of the Years this might actually be my game of the year. Unless it somehow crashes and burns in the next 10 hours.

Just got to the exterior and the feeling of dread floating out in space is great.

The soundtrack really makes the game. Without I don't think the game would be as good.

The game had just been so much fun so far.
I wish there was an oxygen meter. It feels weird to be out in space and not have to worry about oxygen.

shiba5

I wish there was an oxygen meter. It feels weird to be out in space and not have to worry about oxygen.

Ugh. Completely disagree. I was so happy i could explore and not worry about that. I do see O2 bottles scattered around so I wonder if that was a mechanic at one time.

Anyone at the Arboretum:
How do you save the people in the greenhouse?

There's some kind of alien power you can get that un-mind-controls people, I think. I just ran in there and blasted the Telepath to death as quickly as possible, and when it died they all returned to normal.

Nabs

I did. My controller refuses to work in some games, don't know why, it has been a problem since I first got it.

Using anything that's preventing the Steam overlay from popping up (like rtss)? This game has really great steam controller support, it would suck if you couldn't use it.

dlauv

This game feels like the best attempt so far to tailor classic, hardcore, PC game design to suit the mainstream. But in doing that, although it does its best not to, it strips away some of the idiosyncratic, hardcore mechanics of those classics, and is still ultimately, unfortunately a retread of old ideas.

It's still badass, but it's a shame it won't catch wind like Bioshock did, because I'm enjoying Prey Infinitely more.

Although honestly, knowing your install base is mostly on console, I wonder why they made the enemies so small and jumpy and made the first gun fire at a relatively unorthodox arc and simultaneously complex to utilize against enemies. It's far clumsier than "zap 'n' whack."

Jharp

Still early on and enjoying the game so far, but... does the lighting in this game look like shit to anyone else? Playing on max on PC. Runs great, but man the lighting sucks. Especially considering it's CryEngine.

Probably 3 hours in and I was not expecting it to be as good as it's been so far. This is also the most intrigued I've been by a video game story since god knows when. Definitely a step up from Dishonored 2 in that department.

Exploration music and pace are all top notch.

d00d3n

Only now going to the Hardware Labs after *I think* clearing out everything I can do with the first 2 areas. So much god damn stuff to find. The whole corpse locator kind of deal with the computers also is really fucking cool. It's a great way to show a player an area they haven't been and let them put 2 and 2 together to get there.

Sounds like Bioshock with the wrench stacking for insane damage. Good to hear.

I am about to leave as well, but then I started obsessing over the perfect sentry gun placement for new waves of enemies later and got the idea that I should stack the corpses (prevent zombie outbreak or whatever the game has in store for me!) in the area ... The game is extremely satisfying, but time consuming, from a power gaming perspective.

dlauv

Still early on and enjoying the game so far, but... does the lighting in this game look like shit to anyone else? Playing on max on PC. Runs great, but man the lighting sucks. Especially considering it's CryEngine.

While in-game, turn off SSR and SSAO,

apply settings,

then turn SSR and SSAO back on.

They'll magically come alive.

Aangster

The only issue I have so far is the sound quality. Not necessarily the sound mixing and loudness, but talking characters sound really low bitrate.

rezn0r

Finally got around to the demo and it definitely got my attention, I'm going to pick this up shortly. The reveal of what's really going on was bad ass.

11 hours on steam counter now (2 of them were afk) and i'm still on the quest to eventually
get to space.

I feel like i underrated the amount of playtime this game had.

Haven't even reached
psycisissis thingy

eshwaaz

The input lag on PS4 is really a shame, as I am absolutely loving everything else. The setting, the story, and the world-building are all so damn good. Too early for me to say how much the skill trees or future tools/weapons may or may not improve the overall experience, but the first few hours have me completely sucked in.

I hope that Arkane will address the controls in a timely manner, as it's the only real blemish so far. As the enemies and encounters get tougher, it could end up being a serious problem.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Probably been asked but why did they keep the prey name if the game is a completely different story from OG prey?

The only issue I have so far is the sound quality. Not necessarily the sound mixing and loudness, but talking characters sound really low bitrate.

Yeah the audio is all over the place. Some of the VO bits are noticeable lower quality then others and also levels are crazy inconsistent. The medical operator bots voice work is like 50% louder then everything else and then some other character audio is noticeably quieter. I'm adjusting my headset volume fairly regularly to keep things even.

no lag on pro, maybe normal ps4 still has it though.

I don't want to sound rude but the game is not even patched for the PS4 Pro so I really doubt that there's a discrepancy between base PS4 and Pro with regards to the input lag.

And tests are the better judge of it than people eyeballing it. Lots of folks were saying that the XB1 didn't have input lag issues but NXGamer says that both versions are similar to Dishonored 2 and that game felt like ass to control on consoles.

dlauv

Probably been asked but why did they keep the prey name if the game is a completely different story from OG prey?

They were sitting on an IP they bought and the last game is practically forgotten, ancient history.

At least there's some shared subject matter.

GHG

Gold Member
no lag on pro, maybe normal ps4 still has it though.

If it's the same as the demo version then the Pro has input lag as well.

Whether you are sensitive to it or not is a different story.

The game is fantastic though. The atmosphere is second to none.

Lingitiz

Huh? Wasn't the last Arkane game that came out on PC and unmitigated disaster hence why people are cautious about blindly buying a PC version?
The bad pc version was still better than the console version which suffered from unfixed input lag on both ps4 and pro. Made the entire experience very sluggish. Pc version was bad but for the standards of the platform.

Top Bottom